[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A message to a "Great Coach".......
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/20/2006  1:52 AM
Posted by oohah:

This guy has obviously been copying my posts.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 03-19-2006 3:30 PM]

I feel the same way. This is just a great article. He covers all bases. Nothing more to say. Especially since we been saying it, lol.

Check out my sig!
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/20/2006  1:56 AM
Every good team in the league has players commited to playing basketball. The Knicks are the worst team in the NBA. We don't have players commited to playing basketball.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/20/2006  2:39 AM
Posted by holfresh:

Well you know where I'm coming from on this issue..I really bought into the fact that Isiah wanted to go young and athletic..I think that things really changed as soon a Brown was hired...I thought that Brown would want to take the kids a introduce them to a good dose of defense...The impression I'm getting is that he has no interest in teaching the kids and want to go back to veteran players, much of what we have done since Patrick left...I've had enought of that already..I really don't think Larry is worth the wholesale change in philosophy...I could be wrong and hope I'm wrong because we a stuck with this guy...So it's either change Larry or change the roster.. which is easier?

I agree with that point, I don't want IT to cave into Brown to the point of turning us into a old veteran team, I don't want to go back to those days, if this is Browns agenda, then he can go, along with marbury. IF It is ever fired, you can say bye, bye to lee, frye, butler, nate etc...... For those who want IT gone, think again....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
3/20/2006  7:50 AM
Posted by holfresh:

I really bought into the fact that Isiah wanted to go young and athletic..So it's either change Larry or change the roster.. which is easier?

what does that mean "young and athletic"? what kind of actual basketball philosophy is tht? every team in the league s young and has athletes on it. NY's average age is 26. The league average age for teams is 25.7. Agewise we're average. Athleticism helps, I'm quite sure Nate is hell in the triple jump.

Isiah envisioned the team running headed by two guards who are not hustling ball hawks in Steph and Jamal - brilliant plan. And he has hired exactly how many coaches who can coach an uptempo offense? Karl was available when he canned Lenny. Isiah went with Herb.

Does Larry not deserve some blame? yes he does. But first in the peckng order is Isiah for the disastrous job of NOT establishing an actual basketball philosophy from day 1. All this roster overturn is nothing but Layden redux. If Brown does nothing else in NY, he will have taught Isiah how to assemble his team IDENTITY first. The talent will take care of itself. In Indiana, his team had the same problem - NO IDENTITY. He couldn't coach it either. NJ and Boston left his Indy team looking like children at the Neverland Ranch in the play-offs. They had the talent, they just lacked a sound philosphy to dig their heels in on. No suprise once Carlisle took over that team went on to win 60 and despite all the suspensions last year 44 and the 2nd round. J Oneal has become 20-10 The commitment to Distributing, Detail, & last but not least Defending miles ahead of where Isiah had them.

[Edited by - McK1 on 03-20-2006 07:51 AM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/20/2006  8:07 AM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Every good team in the league has players commited to playing basketball. The Knicks are the worst team in the NBA. We don't have players commited to playing basketball.
Lee? Frye? Butler? Nate? Q Rich? Malik? There's six! Give them the most PT while the guys not committed watch!

Allanfan20
USA
3/20/2006  10:11 AM
Q Rich and Malik do get the playing time. The 4 you mentioned before make waaaaaaay too many mistakes and have been way exposed defensively. The playing time will rise and rise when we see them playing better defense, and when Frye is willing to be aggresive with his shooting. The guy passes up way too many shots, and now it's starting to get annoying. He did it a good number of times last night.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/20/2006  10:30 AM
early in the season before we was played inconsistently for not boxing out on one play he wasn't hesitant....
all kool aid all the time.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/20/2006  10:34 AM
I don't think any of you actually read the article:

No way am I trying to discredit or ignore his history, but isn't the job of a great coach to adjust to the players he has?

Pat Riley went from Showtime (with Magic, Worthy, Scott etc) to a grind-it-out defensive slugfest with the Knicks. He adjusted to his roster.

Bill Parcells coached a Giant team that was a defensive, smashmouth, clock dominating team. Then he goes to the Patriots and adjust to the strong Armed QB and let him air-it-out to the fast receivers he had.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/20/2006  10:37 AM
sorry for requoting, but for the last month all we read were everybody's gripes and complaints...but make sure you all pay attention to what he is saying...

Brown needs to understand the right way is utilizing your players strengths, while minimizing their weaknesses (and not belittling them in the press which not only can destroy the confidence and trust of your players, but downgrade there trade value). How is Brown supposed to get the players he wants and he keeps telling everyone the players he has ain't very good?
Allanfan20
USA
3/20/2006  10:52 AM
Posted by rvhoss:

early in the season before we was played inconsistently for not boxing out on one play he wasn't hesitant....

Wrong, he's been hesitant from day 1. Even Brown knows he's hesitant and say's he needs to be shooting those Js, when a guy is 5 feet away from him.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/20/2006  11:27 AM
nice try...he was hesitant when he posted that string of 30 point games, or zou just donät remember that. the selective memory is what I have a problem with...you are attempting to say that from DAY 1 he has been hesitant?

I say, I don't believe you and think you are percieving a completely different player than I have been watching.

But, it is just YHO...but don't try to suddenly say frye sucks as you continue to side with Brown.
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
3/20/2006  12:11 PM
Nice...
So if new couch get a team of basketball Idiots with the only value to put the ball in the basket using athletic moves he needs to adjust to this idiotic style and minimize their weaknesses like luck of defense, softness, and commitment to work hard by doing nothing (like Wilkins and Herb did) and talking in the media how great and talented this roster is, how this players are exiting, and how the future is bright...
Sure... Isaiah hired a wrong man...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
Allanfan20
USA
3/20/2006  12:24 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

nice try...he was hesitant when he posted that string of 30 point games, or zou just donät remember that. the selective memory is what I have a problem with...you are attempting to say that from DAY 1 he has been hesitant?

I say, I don't believe you and think you are percieving a completely different player than I have been watching.

But, it is just YHO...but don't try to suddenly say frye sucks as you continue to side with Brown.

Dude, where in my posts did I say Frye sucks and that I side with Brown. I say time and time again that the whole team sucks. Frye is a good rookie, with a lot of potential, and he's got a long way to go to reach it. As a matter of fact, Frye is one of my favorite players, and when I watch the games, I look foward to watching him the most. I am rooting like heck for the guy.

And FYI, Frye had maybe 2 30 point games this season. He's been hesitating to take shots all season. And the real weird part is when he's often wide open, and I mean WIIIDE open, he rushes his shots. He doesn't have good shot selection right now. He's not aggresive in terms of getting the ball in the post (There were many times when he stood on the weakside of the post, with nobody standing on the ball side, when it was clear that we needed to get someone in there. The guards weren't hitting their shots, and we needed to find a way to get some points in the paint. We needed that out of Frye.

RV, I will say it again. Frye WILL improve all of this. But right now, all of this is so obvious that a blind man can see it.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/20/2006  1:24 PM
Posted by arkrud:

Nice...
So if new couch get a team of basketball Idiots with the only value to put the ball in the basket using athletic moves he needs to adjust to this idiotic style and minimize their weaknesses like luck of defense, softness, and commitment to work hard by doing nothing (like Wilkins and Herb did) and talking in the media how great and talented this roster is, how this players are exiting, and how the future is bright...
Sure... Isaiah hired a wrong man...

Pat Riley doesn't have a problem winning with inferior rosters. The best can be said of the situation is that Brown is not Riley, he is not creative like Riley, he isn't able to adapt, survive and win. Everyone predicted that Riley couldn't win in NY because he had "Showtime" while the Knicks were nothing close to that. What did the man do, did he bitch and moan. No he adjusted to his players and made defense is #1 focal point. LOL, isn't Larry getting 8 million a year to coach these guys and teach them. Now he has to have everything perfect for him too. What's next do they have to wipe his rear end too. Poor Brown, how about earning some of that 8 million.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/20/2006  2:26 PM
larry brown is just another underacheving over paid (10 mill per year by the way) new york knick.

He's just like the rest of them...only difference is that he gets more backing on ultimateknicks than the others.

He's currently the highest paid coach in the league, and his team is the worst.

Reread the sport illustrated article. it's time for EVERY KNICK to earn their money.

Oh, and akrud, sorry, i'm in zurich and all I get are nba.com highlights, it's tough defending the knicks from across the pond. But I noticed we are both on the same page with regard to this thread.

it's time for larry to earn his money and shut his yap. (if you don't agree, sorry for dragging you in, as I'm sure isle and fish are getting their keyboards warmed up to bash away.)
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/20/2006  2:37 PM
it's time for larry to earn his money and shut his yap.

same can be said for our "leader", Stephon Marbury.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/20/2006  3:21 PM
trust me TMS, zou have more than made it clear that steph the leader needs to...but you still lack the ability to say the actual head coach needs to.

Why only marbs and not larry?

That's all I'm saying. The one sided bashing is odd.
TMS
USA
3/20/2006  3:25 PM
i'll give LB the benefit of the doubt for another year at the very least before i start to question his methods... i've said that since the season began & this team started to lose games, & everyone started to jump off his bandwagon... Marbury's been here for a couple years & is on his 4th head coach now, & he's still the same selfish guy we all heard he was when he got here... excuse me if i'm no longer willing to give him the benefit of the doubt... he's already proven that he's never going to change in my eyes.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/20/2006  3:33 PM
we'll see.

If you have any philly fans as friends, ask them about brown and his treatment of their best player.

If steph is given half the chance iverson was given, then we'll be ok, but it looks like you are more interested in letting the entire world know BlueSeats opinion of Marbury.

I believe LB wasn't too good in his first year with the best point guard in the league on his roster, then coached his way through a 50 game campaign shortened by the strike (the knicks baby!!).

It's one thing to say, ok, it's brown's first year...but to treat Stephon Marbury as they treated Tim Thomas in Philly Brown's first year is tough to fathom.

It ain't all marbs.

I just read that brown is saying NOW is a good time to start experimenting with the lineups...

what was he doing before?
TMS
USA
3/20/2006  4:16 PM
i keep saying it ain't all Marbs... i agree w/u on that... but i don't want him here past this season cuz he's just going to cause more problems for this team down the road... that's why i say cut bait now & part ways... the Marbury experiment failed a long time ago... now let's give the LB experiment a fair chance to succeed i say... as long as Marbury's here, LB won't get that chance... you can't have your best player undermining every decision your head coach makes publically & setting a bad example for all the other players to follow if your goal is to create a winning culture here in NY.

[Edited by - TMS on 03-20-2006 4:18 PM]
A message to a "Great Coach".......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy