[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A message to a "Great Coach".......
Author Thread
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/19/2006  3:20 PM

By Andy Gray, SI.com

"In the past year, Isiah Thomas' performance as Knicks GM has been criticized more than Kevin Federline's performance as a father. And most of those anti-Isiah rants have been warranted.

How can anyone defend a GM who has traded for the contracts of Jalen Rose ($15.7 million), Maurice Taylor ($9.1 million) and Malik Rose ($6 million)? Why would anyone sign Jerome James to a five-year, $29 million contract when he is, well, Jerome James? Why do the Knicks need Steve Francis, a Stephon Marbury clone, when they have the original?

Yet the worst move of Thomas' rocky tenure is the one he gets the most praise for: signing coach Larry Brown to a four-year, $40 million contract. In his first season in New York, Brown has flushed the Knicks straight down the NBA toilet.

On the surface, signing Brown seemed like a good move. The much-traveled coach was on a roll after coaching Detroit to two NBA Finals appearances and one championship. But Thomas should've stopped and taken a broader look at Brown's résumé.

New York is Brown's eighth stop in his 23-season NBA coaching tour, yet his career winning percentage of .561 is just seventh among the 10 active NBA coaches with 10 or more years of service, ranking behind less-celebrated names such as Rick Adelman and Jerry Sloan. Brown's work in turning the Pistons into NBA champs looks less impressive by the day as the Flip Saunders-coached Pistons -- with less talent than the squad Brown coached -- own the league's best record and are a favorite to win this year's title.

Did Thomas not see Brown's shenanigans during last year's Eastern Conference finals against Miami, when Brown spent more time focusing on a potential job as Cavs president than strategizing ways to stop Shaq? Then, when the season ended and it was apparent that Brown had coached his last game with the Pistons, he refused to step down, forcing the club to buy out the remaining years of his contract (for $7 million) before all the other coaching candidates were scooped up by other teams. Perhaps Isiah should've listened to 81-year-old Pistons owner Bill Davidson, who called his ex-coach a "bad person."

This year Brown has been nothing short of atrocious behind the bench. Sure, his sympathizers will say the Knicks are a bunch of mismatched parts and big egos, but isn't it the coach's job to make mismatched parts work and, more important, deal with oversized egos? Wasn't Brown praised from here to Secaucus when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals by getting Allen Iverson to buy into his system?

This year's Knicks team is built to run. Marbury is at his best when given space to improvise and use his strength and speed to attack the basket. Quentin Richardson thrived in the Suns' up-tempo pace, leading the NBA in three-pointers last season. Eddy Curry and Channing Frye are among the NBA's most athletic big-man combos. Wing players such as Jamal Crawford and Qyntel Woods are more effective in a fast-paced offense. Nate Robinson is one of the NBA's most exciting players when given a chance to play. James, Taylor and the two Roses should sit. Francis and Marbury should play together to see if they can be effective. If not, the team can see which star guard it wants to keep and use the other as trade bait in hopes of landing Kevin Garnett or Jermaine O'Neal.

For Thomas, the end may be near. The Knicks need to do something this summer to right the ship. Firing the coach is not an option when that coach is under contract for another three years and $30 million. For all the bad contracts Thomas has burdened the Knicks with, the one he received the most accolades for is the one that will cost him his job. Ironic, isn't it?"

No way am I trying to discredit or ignore his history, but isn't the job of a great coach to adjust to the players he has?

Pat Riley went from Showtime (with Magic, Worthy, Scott etc) to a grind-it-out defensive slugfest with the Knicks. He adjusted to his roster.

Bill Parcells coached a Giant team that was a defensive, smashmouth, clock dominating team. Then he goes to the Patriots and adjust to the strong Armed QB and let him air-it-out to the fast receivers he had.

From the moment Brown shook Isiahs hand to except the coaching job, he began complaining about the roster. Let Brown tell it, and you would have assumed Sweetney, and TT were perenial allstars because not a day went by when he didn't mention how he thought they would be here (How quickly Brown forgets that he traded Tim Thomas twice).

Brown was setting up a safety net form himself by letting everyone know this roster was flawed. Never mind that he's a hall of fame coach who was paid 10 million dollars to fix this mess.

Brown needs to understand the right way is utilizing your players strengths, while minimizing their weaknesses (and not belittling them in the press which not only can destroy the confidence and trust of your players, but downgrade there trade value). How is Brown supposed to get the players he wants and he keeps telling everyone the players he has ain't very good?

"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
AUTOADVERT
oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
3/19/2006  3:30 PM
This guy has obviously been copying my posts.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 03-19-2006 3:30 PM]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/19/2006  3:31 PM

Phew...I have been saying all the same things for months and been getting trampled on by fellow posters...it's not over yet tho...Brown will turn this young athletic team into one that is older and slower with all the big contracts b4 he leaves, then we all get to blame Isiah all over again....
holfresh

3/19/2006  3:32 PM
Posted by oohah:

oohah

U beat me to it...hahahha

bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/19/2006  3:57 PM
Posted by oohah:

oohah

Andy Gray...Nice to meet you.

If you posted this article already, OBVIOUSLY I didn't see it. What would be the point of reposting!?

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-19-2006 4:10 PM]
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/19/2006  4:20 PM
Yeah ofcourse, its the coaches fault. Man you guys really are deslusinal if you think Brown's is a scapegoat. He hasnt been good either, but IT and Marbury do their part in the general sucking. As does the godawful roster of overpaid wannabe allstars and young guys who are not ready for primetime yet.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
rojasmas
Member: #639
3/19/2006  4:36 PM
I said Brown was overrated before the year started. And Simrud tried to have my post locked. Adelman, Sloan and George Karl have numbers equal to LB's for his career. LB is held in regard like Phil Jackson and Pat Riley and it isn't warranted.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
holfresh

3/19/2006  4:41 PM
Posted by simrud:

Yeah ofcourse, its the coaches fault. Man you guys really are deslusinal if you think Brown's is a scapegoat. He hasnt been good either, but IT and Marbury do their part in the general sucking. As does the godawful roster of overpaid wannabe allstars and young guys who are not ready for primetime yet.

Speaking of delusional and not ready for prime time players, Reezy has a line of 10 pts 8 reb 5 assist and 1 steal in 18 mins action for Orlando....

P. S. the game ain't over yet...

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/19/2006  4:56 PM
Posted by holfresh:
Posted by simrud:

Speaking of delusional and not ready for prime time players, Reezy has a line of 10 pts 8 reb 5 assist and 1 steal in 18 mins action for Orlando....

take a look at Reezy's game logs since he got to ORL before you get excited... he's averaging just over 2 pts. & less than half a rebound in 5 mpg, & has had a total of 9 games where he's had DNP's... let's not get excited here.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
holfresh

3/19/2006  4:59 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by holfresh:
Posted by simrud:

take a look at Reezy's game logs since he got to ORL before you get excited... he's averaging just over 2 pts. & less than half a rebound in 5 mpg, & has had a total of 9 games where he's had DNP's... let's not get excited here.

I would guess his debut in Orlando would be much like Franchise in New York until he learns the offense and defensive sets...So time wil tell won't it...

TMS
USA
3/19/2006  5:03 PM
that's obvious... he's all of 20 years old & still has along way to go before anyone can form a final opinion on him... but you're the one getting excited over 1 game where he's posting #'s... he's had good games for the Knicks too... my best guess is he'll be a career backup guy getting about 15 mpg off the bench, but he can develop into a solid starter a-la James Posey if he ever develops a perimeter jumper.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
holfresh

3/19/2006  5:12 PM
Posted by TMS:

that's obvious... he's all of 20 years old & still has along way to go before anyone can form a final opinion on him... but you're the one getting excited over 1 game where he's posting #'s... he's had good games for the Knicks too... my best guess is he'll be a career backup guy getting about 15 mpg off the bench, but he can develop into a solid starter a-la James Posey if he ever develops a perimeter jumper.

He can give you a solid 15 mins now....

The upside on theat kid could be huge if he ever learned to hit a jumper...

simrud
Member: #474
USA
3/19/2006  5:22 PM
I love how you take 1 stat line throw in everybody's face, and when confronted with more stats that contradict your point, you claim that more time is needed before passing judgment. Hypocrite.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
oohah
Member: #887
3/19/2006  6:19 PM
Andy Gray...Nice to meet you.

If you posted this article already, OBVIOUSLY I didn't see it. What would be the point of reposting!?

I am not sure what you are saying, but what I am saying is that Gray made points that I, and Enyspree, and Holfresh, and a few others have been making for months.

The problem is you are trying to oversimplify with a blanket statement like "It's the coaches fault". Nobody thought this team would be great, but they should have at least been respectable. LB has to take a huge part of the blame for this season's spectacular failure, regardless of his history. If anyone thinks this team should not even get 30 wins, then they should look at what Lenny/Herb did last year. Less talent more wins.

If you ask me, Marbury has played better than LB has coached this year.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/19/2006  6:24 PM
holfresh

3/19/2006  6:46 PM
Posted by simrud:

I love how you take 1 stat line throw in everybody's face, and when confronted with more stats that contradict your point, you claim that more time is needed before passing judgment. Hypocrite.

Listen sport...My saying that the more time is needed to show what Reezy can do is in no manner a concession to any argument that I have made...If anything, it me saying we will see how this guy perform going forward...Save the wise comments for topics you have better command of....

TMS
USA
3/19/2006  7:09 PM
Posted by holfresh:

The upside on that kid could be huge if he ever learned to hit a jumper...
you could say that about some kids playing on street courts in almost every big city across the country too... again, he's got a loooong way to go before anyone can say he'll be a viable player in this league... he can be a minor role player due to his athleticism & defensive mindset as of this point... whether or not he develops a shot, time will tell... again, don't get excited over him just yet... he needs to learn how to create his own shot, or at the very least develop a consistent go to shot when he's dished the ball on the perimeter... personally i'm alot more excited over what i see from Jackie Butler, because he's showing that he has a good understanding of low post fundamentals on offense, & his game is alot more polished in comparison to where Reezy is at this point in his development... Isiah kept the right kid imho.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/19/2006  8:01 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by holfresh:

The upside on that kid could be huge if he ever learned to hit a jumper...
you could say that about some kids playing on street courts in almost every big city across the country too... again, he's got a loooong way to go before anyone can say he'll be a viable player in this league... he can be a minor role player due to his athleticism & defensive mindset as of this point... whether or not he develops a shot, time will tell... again, don't get excited over him just yet... he needs to learn how to create his own shot, or at the very least develop a consistent go to shot when he's dished the ball on the perimeter... personally i'm alot more excited over what i see from Jackie Butler, because he's showing that he has a good understanding of low post fundamentals on offense, & his game is alot more polished in comparison to where Reezy is at this point in his development... Isiah kept the right kid imho.

Reezy blew it when he backed off the start in LA. This is a mans game and Reezy caved. I loved Reezy. He broke my heart.

Glad he is getting run. He only played like 4 min a game previous.

The Andi Gray article is interesting.

THere are two school of thoughts. one is Larry is wrong for the team, and the other is Marbs is wrong for Larry.

I guess we can agree to disagree on which one is right or wrong.
holfresh

3/19/2006  8:27 PM
Well you know where I'm coming from on this issue..I really bought into the fact that Isiah wanted to go young and athletic..I think that things really changed as soon a Brown was hired...I thought that Brown would want to take the kids a introduce them to a good dose of defense...The impression I'm getting is that he has no interest in teaching the kids and want to go back to veteran players, much of what we have done since Patrick left...I've had enought of that already..I really don't think Larry is worth the wholesale change in philosophy...I could be wrong and hope I'm wrong because we a stuck with this guy...So it's either change Larry or change the roster.. which is easier?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/20/2006  1:18 AM
How about this. Nobody is at 100% fault, and the Knicks have been playing better as of late, including tonight, besides cough cough, a couple of isolated players. But we competed hard tonight and kept with them. The whole org is at fault for what has gone on this season. Not just one person. Let's not be so narrow minded.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
A message to a "Great Coach".......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy