[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How about...
Author Thread
nyballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #108
USA
8/22/2002  3:10 PM
If we move Ward, Harrington, and Knight for Penny... I read it on the realgm boards, it worked (i tried it on realgm) and it looks good because ward and knight are expiring and harrington is up in 2 years and is pretty cheap. suns want to get rid of penny and his contract anyway. Then we can try to trade Frank Williams and maybe KT for Nazr Mohammed ... Atlanta (even though they have dickau) is desperate for pg talent and Williams/Dickau would be a good, young duo - different styles of play...Finally, try to sign Shawn KEmp for cheap - if hes a problem just cut him..this gives us:

PG: Penny/Eisley
SG: Houston/Anderson
SF: Spree/Spoon
PF: Dice/Kemp
C: Nazr/Doleac/Kemp

I think thats a pretty good team...thoughts?
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
AUTOADVERT
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
8/22/2002  3:32 PM
The Penny prospect, like Lamar Odom, always intrigued me...If we're short at the 3, what about if we're big at the 1? I'd think about doing it, especially sice we're officially in 'Win Now' mode. Penny & Kemp may be ready to get second winds just in time to pleasantly surprise us. Gamble, yes, but hey...It's New York-

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/22/2002  4:07 PM
Posted by nyballer:

If we move Ward, Harrington, and Knight for Penny... I read it on the realgm boards, it worked (i tried it on realgm) and it looks good because ward and knight are expiring and harrington is up in 2 years and is pretty cheap. suns want to get rid of penny and his contract anyway. Then we can try to trade Frank Williams and maybe KT for Nazr Mohammed ... Atlanta (even though they have dickau) is desperate for pg talent and Williams/Dickau would be a good, young duo - different styles of play...Finally, try to sign Shawn KEmp for cheap - if hes a problem just cut him..this gives us:

PG: Penny/Eisley
SG: Houston/Anderson
SF: Spree/Spoon
PF: Dice/Kemp
C: Nazr/Doleac/Kemp

I think thats a pretty good team...thoughts?

I wrote about this a while back ago on another board and everyone shot it down. I think Penny is just playing for the checks now. He is done and from what he said he think he will never regain his old game. I think he is to risky for the Knicks they already are going into the season with Dice who is a risk. To add Penny in the mix then the season may turn out to be a disaster. I still think they need to concentrate on bringing in NVE, Payton or Cassell. But with time going by it seems less and less likely the Knicks will do anything. Look for the Knicks to bring in Travis Best to play the point. That is my worst nightmare.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/22/2002  4:37 PM
I really don't understand some of these trades. People bitch and moan about being so far over the cap with ridiculous contracts, then are so eager to unload expiring ones to bring on completely over-the-hill players like Penny Hardaway. Give me a break, Penny is done. He can't even play 2, so what makes you think he could play point. He'd get burned by every point guard in the East, then his knees would give out (yet again), and then the Knicks would be stuck in the lottery (yet again), and then we could post about how stupid Layden is for trading for Penny.

Then trading Williams for Nazr Mohammed? Come on...
#Knickstaps
knixphan
Switzerland
8/22/2002  4:47 PM
Bitchin' and Moanin' just ain't my style at all...I'm about yelling and screaming during a game, not much else.

The cap? We're over it so let's 'get over it'...If this were baseball, it wouldn't even come up in conversation, but this is Stern's league...so whatever...

Dunno if I think Penny's 'over the hill...' - Has he been injury prone? Yep. Has he been a whiner? Yep. Do I think he could be more productive than Ward, Eisley and Jax combined? Yep. Better than Van Exel? Nope. Definite must-do? Nope. Worth thinking about before writing it off as nonsense? Yep.

That's my whole two cents on the one-cent man. 'Twas a pleasant diversion-

Cheers-
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/22/2002  5:09 PM
Posted by knixphan:

Bitchin' and Moanin' just ain't my style at all...I'm about yelling and screaming during a game, not much else.

The cap? We're over it so let's 'get over it'...If this were baseball, it wouldn't even come up in conversation, but this is Stern's league...so whatever...

Dunno if I think Penny's 'over the hill...' - Has he been injury prone? Yep. Has he been a whiner? Yep. Do I think he could be more productive than Ward, Eisley and Jax combined? Yep. Better than Van Exel? Nope. Definite must-do? Nope. Worth thinking about before writing it off as nonsense? Yep.

That's my whole two cents on the one-cent man. 'Twas a pleasant diversion-

Cheers-

I was looking at his game by game summary and he really started out the season with good numbers he was averaging over 18 a game but towards the end of the season he had a lot of single digit games which dropped his average to 12 per game. He can still be productive but Penny is to injury prone.
knixphan
Switzerland
8/22/2002  5:55 PM
Injuries are definitely a question, however...The proposed trade only gives up Ward, Harrington, Knight. Ward's knees aren't exactly adamantium, if ya know what I mean...And we're not giving up power players - The way I see it, it's just creating roster spots....But what's Penny's contract like? I have no clue...

For the record, though I'll re-state that the VanEx trade is a better deal. But Crazy eyes leaves in that one. Big Kurty fans will prefer Harrington for Penny, I believe. Or some sort of Starbury/Spree thing...
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/22/2002  6:36 PM
Penny 's contract is awful, maxed out to 2006 so uhm, pass
BigSm00th
USA
8/22/2002  8:08 PM
"The cap? We're over it so let's 'get over it'..."-I know the Knicks are over the cap, but they'll never be under if they continue to trade out expiring contracts for guys that are inked for the next half-decade.

"Dunno if I think Penny's 'over the hill...' - Has he been injury prone? Yep. Has he been a whiner? Yep. Do I think he could be more productive than Ward, Eisley and Jax combined? Yep. Better than Van Exel? Nope. Definite must-do? Nope. Worth thinking about before writing it off as nonsense? Yep."-Ok, I was too harsh with the over the hill and the bitching and moaning. But I don't think he could be more productive than Ward, Eisley, and Jackson combined. He isn't a point guard. He is a 6 foot 7 inch 2guard with handles. That doesn't mean he's a point. Remember a few years ago when the Knicks tried Spree at PG, Houston at SG, and Rice at SF. It was a disaster because Spree isn't a natural PG. Penny can play PG for stretches, maybe he'd be good for 10 minutes a game. But to expect him to distribute the ball to Houston, Sprewell, and McDyess, I just can't forsee it happening. That's where I'm coming from.
#Knickstaps
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
8/22/2002  8:55 PM
Well id do the deal for mohammed regardless of the penny trade because mohammed is young improving and is already a solid center. as far as penny goes, i think he will be at least as good as ward, and if he isnt, we can get a guy like travis best or rod strickland and at least we have eisley..not the greatest point but not much better than what we would have with ward. I think with our situation as bad as it is, we are a win now team and we have to take risks. if we dont, we wont have a chance of winning it all...LA took a risk with the Kobe-Divac trade in some sense (Kobe had potential but nobody expected him to be this great), Indiana took a chance with the Davis- O'neal trade and it panned out (they lost lats year, but this year they will be good). then again risks can backfire...i think id be wililng to take the penny risk because were not losing that much besides cap relief...will we be under the cap before 2005 with our team as it is now? I'm not sure ... if we are then i can understand if you dont like it...
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
BigSm00th
USA
8/22/2002  10:00 PM
The two "risks" you mentioned were trading older players for younger players with potential. Trading for Penny, you're getting an older guy for a bunch of expiring contracts, and hoping he can play out of position. It's not a very calculated risk.
#Knickstaps
knixphan
Switzerland
8/23/2002  12:03 AM
Okay, So if it's Penny's mentality as a pg that's in question, isn't that what coaching is all about? (Just playing Devil's advocate...) I wouldn't compare the Spree-at-point thing, since Spree never ever played point, but Penny did for a while, not badly, either, and it could potentially create mismatches...That was the are that was intriguing to me...I suppose I'm soooo sick of us being undersized, that I'd welcome any opportunity to actually get BIGGER at a position for a change...

Last point on the cap, I don't like money being wasted either...but if you want win now, then you have to go after players who've been in the league for a bit, and you forsake the luxury of waiting for the rookie to mature...That forces you to have to spend something, and hopefully it's not the max for junk....If Penny makes the max, then no dice...Do the Van Ex deal...

But it's all Knick love, baby.
knixphan
Switzerland
8/23/2002  12:05 AM
That was supposed to read:

"That was the PART"...
How about...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy