[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

5 minutes with nate robinson (vibe.com)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/17/2006  12:48 PM
[IMG_block] http://www.vibe.com/news/online_exclusives/images/2006/03/060317_nate_robinson.jpg [/IMG_block]

5 Minutes with Nate Robinson

By: Alex Labidou

March 17, 2006

At 15-41, there isn’t much to be at excited about at the World’s Most Famous Arena, Madison Square Garden. The New York Knicks have been absolutely terrible at times. However there is optimism about the Knicks future due to Isiah Thomas’ great draft choices (Channing Frye, Nate Robinson and David Lee) during the 2005 NBA draft. All of the rookies have played vital roles on the Knicks but none has been as exciting as 5'7" guard Nate Robinson. With his spunky persona and penchant to produce the exciting play (which is also sometimes the errant play), Robinson has catered to the imagination of his audience and the grey hairs on coach Larry Brown’s head.

The excitement surrounding Robinson had reached a fever pitch when the 21-year-old rookie was invited to the All Star weekend in Houston to play in the “Rookie Challenge” and perform in the weekend’s most exciting event: the slam dunk competition. Much to the delight of the crowd, Robinson put on a show in the dunk contest, outperforming three players who were all 6'6" and above. His most memorable dunk? A dunk over 1986 dunk contest winner Spud Webb - who was also an underdog in the competition at 5'6" - tested his [50 inch] vertical leap and sent audiences around the world into a frenzy. Now with his star much brighter, Rainier Beach, Washington native Robinson still has a lot to prove as he wants to become one of the NBA’s top players.

Vibe.com: When we spoke at the beginning of the season, you predicted that if invited, you would win the slam dunk contest. Tell me what it felt like to make good on that statement.

Nate Robinson: It feels wonderful. It’s just something that I felt like we’ll just see how it goes; see if I could try to achieve it. Growing up, in my childhood, I tried to set big goals and try to accomplish them. Since God blessed me with unbelievable talent . . . Being who I am, he kind of paved the way and made it easy for me.

What was your mindset throughout the dunk contest?

I just didn’t want to miss any dunks . . . Seeing all the famous people, it was crazy!

Talk about how you convinced Spud Webb to assist you in the dunk contest festivities. What was the conversation like and who came up with the final idea for the “dunk"?

Jamal Crawford (Knicks guard) came up with the idea. He was like ’I have the perfect idea...’ I was like ‘what?’ He was like, ‘you should dunk over Spud.’ I was like ‘that’s a perfect idea!’ We got in touch with him, my agent called. He was more than willing to help me out and it worked out great.

Biggest difficulty in your transition from being a top college player at Washington to NBA player?

The biggest transition is not playing as much as minutes. The whole learning the ins and outs of the NBA...Now instead of getting scholarship checks, you’re getting big big checks so it works out for the best.

Playing with Larry Brown is like?

Playing for a Drill Sergeant. He’s hard on you. He wants nothing but excellence out of you and he wants nothing but a 100 percent effort out of you at all time no matter what you do.

When players are guarding you on the floor, what do you think their biggest concern is?

Man....I’ve got to guard this little dude. They don’t want me to dunk on them.

What do think is the general perception about Nate Robinson?

I think that [they think] I am a great guy...

What’s the biggest mistake you’ve ever made?

I’ve made a lot of mistakes.

Any that stick out?

I need to learn how to stop turning over the ball so damn much.

If you could play one on one with anyone who would it be?

Michael Jordan

Favorite music? Any favorite artists?

I listen to all types of music. I can’t really pinpoint any one artist that I listen to.

What’s the fastest way to get Nate Robinson angry?

That’s kinda hard. I don’t know. A lot of things that get me mad. Mostly with my family.

New York is like?

Playing on a stage. It’s like all eyes on you. It’s like its your going to an opera and all the attention is on you. That’s what playing in New York is like.

If you had to pick one team you would never play for, which team would that be?

I cant answer that. It’s the NBA, I’ll play for any body.

Fill in the blank: Newly acquired Steve Francis brings…

Excitement. It’s weird because I was telling him I have a picture of him when I was 16 years old at Georgetown for a summer league. I was telling him, “you were my favorite player.” I got the picture at home and I am going to bring it to him so that he can sign it. It’s unbelievable how time goes so fast and now I am playing with him.

Greatest personal tragedy you’ve faced was?

My little brother dying. He died of SID. Sudden Infant Death. He died in the Crib.

Who do you consider a role model?

My mom. She is probably the greatest role model I could have.

Any guilty pleasures?

I like playing ping pong, playing pool and swimming.

First celebrity crush was…

She’s kinda new. The girl from You’ve Got Served, Omarion’s girlfriend in that movie [Jennifer Freeman]. I still like her to this day. She’s fine....

Complete this sentence “This time next year....”

We’ll have a better record than we do this year. [Laughs].

[IMG_block] http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v280/mosdefJeffx/02.jpg [/IMG_block]
AUTOADVERT
5 minutes with nate robinson (vibe.com)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy