[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

pistons come to town, surprised by brown's troubles (article)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/16/2006  11:34 PM
Pistons Come to Town, Surprised by Brown's Troubles
By LIZ ROBBINS

What timing.

The Detroit Pistons, the best team in basketball, the team that became even better after Larry Brown left as coach, visits the worst team in basketball tonight, the team embroiled in a high-stakes feud between Brown and point guard Stephon Marbury.

Like salt in Brown's self-inflicted and Stephon Marbury-inflicted wounds, the Pistons present him with a prickly reminder of the spoils he once had with Detroit and the spoiled season he has endured with the Knicks.

"I am very surprised that it's gotten to this point — team-wise and with Stephon," Pistons point guard Chauncey Billups said yesterday after practice in Manhattan. "I'm really saddened by it. I know I couldn't play with that. I know it's just taken a toll on everybody."

As the Knicks (18-45) sink into chaos, the end of the season cannot come too soon. The Pistons (51-12) are also eager for it to end, so they can start the playoffs and try to recapture the title they won in 2004 under Brown.

"He drove this Rolls-Royce," Billups said, referring to Brown and the Pistons. "He chose to change up. It is what it is. I just never thought it would ever get this bad."

Brown and the Pistons will forever differ over the semantics, Brown saying he was fired, the Pistons saying he wanted out.

He started secret negotiations for a job in the Cleveland Cavaliers' front office during the 2004-05 season, which infuriated the Pistons' ownership when the news became public. Brown and the Pistons negotiated a $7 million buyout that freed him to take the Knicks' job at $10 million a year for five years.

The simmering tension between Brown and Marbury blew up this week as they lobbed cannonballs at each other through the news media. Billups recalled his own struggles with Brown, who he said made him a better player.

"There was a time where of course I was frustrated and wanted to sound off, but I wouldn't do it," Billups said. "There's a right way to do it. Me and Larry, we had our conversations. I voiced my opinions and he voiced his, and after we walked out of there, it was just it."

Billups said that had he clashed publicly with Brown, his teammates and the team president, Joe Dumars, would have quelled it. Then again, Billups said: "That's just not our culture. I just couldn't see that happening here."

Billups said he advised Marbury to be patient and to let Brown's criticisms "go in one ear and out the other."

"I don't have no advice for this," he added. "I don't know. I've never been through that, and I hope I never do."

The coach-point guard relationship is the axis of every team. Billups learned to work with Brown and endorsed the Pistons' hiring of Flip Saunders, his former coach with Minnesota. Marbury, who also played in Minnesota, considers Saunders his favorite coach.

"Having coached Steph for three years, his main thing is that he's unbelievably competitive," Saunders said. "And he can be very stubborn."

Marbury is different from Billups.

"Chauncey's a guy you can sit down and talk," Saunders said. "With Steph, your sit-downs, you're going to have to have a few of them to convince him. Once he believes in it, he goes overboard."

Marbury has never fully believed in Brown's system. When Saunders became Detroit's coach, guards Billups and Richard Hamilton praised him for giving them more freedom.

Marbury took his campaign for more freedom to the news media, saying Brown's criticism was personal.

Saunders said the New York stage and the Knicks' losing record had heightened the feud.

"I think what happens sometime is frustration creeps in a little bit and it's sort of a he-said, she-said situation," Saunders said. "There's no question that Larry can help Steph, and if Steph does things right, he can help their team."

Speaking of Marbury, Saunders said: "He wants to win. I know the losing right now is killing him."
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/17/2006  7:17 AM
Speaking of Marbury, Saunders said: "He wants to win. I know the losing right now is killing him."
tell Steph to guard someone, because watching Dre Miller shoot 5-6 and Boykins score 15 points in 23 minutes is killing us
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/17/2006  9:16 AM
Chauns is being nice. Most players (based on overhype poll) must be snickering about Marbs success this year.

Chauns thinks the losing is killing Marbs? Why, cuz he is so used to going deep in the playoffs each year? Winning would be uncomfortable to Marbs.
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/17/2006  9:20 AM
I have played on teams where someone just sucked at playing defense, so the rest of the team compensated for him because he was able to contribute mightily in other areas.

Maybe marbs just sucks at defense...it's time to stop saying "maybe tell steph to guard someone" and think of him as someone that can't and move on to maybe...I don't know...

"Maybe someone should tell Larry that marbs sucks on defense and he should move more to a box and one type defense or 2-3 zone"

Oh, I forgot, it's easier to just keep beating the dead horse.

carry on.
all kool aid all the time.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/17/2006  9:37 AM
Posted by rvhoss:

I have played on teams where someone just sucked at playing defense, so the rest of the team compensated for him because he was able to contribute mightily in other areas.

Maybe marbs just sucks at defense...it's time to stop saying "maybe tell steph to guard someone" and think of him as someone that can't and move on to maybe...I don't know...

"Maybe someone should tell Larry that marbs sucks on defense and he should move more to a box and one type defense or 2-3 zone"

carry on.

I'll agree in part with you on Marbury not being able to play good D- but I think there are times where he just doesn't try hard.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/17/2006  9:46 AM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by rvhoss:

carry on.
I'll agree in part with you on Marbury not being able to play good D- but I think there are times where he just doesn't try hard.
Another reason not to say 'maybe he just sucks on defense' is that, its giving Marbury a pass!

rvhoss: have you ever said anything about Crawford, Tim Thomas, Allan Houston or Keith Van Horn not playing defense? Have you ever questioned someone's effort? I dont remember about TT or KVH but I remember Houston playing defense on Reggie Miller and Crawford playing defense earlier this year! Just the same, I have seen Marbury play defense earlier this year. I think we should hold him accountable for his lack of effort. I am a Marbury fan. Actually, I WAS a Marbury fan. Hardcore, Killa, guns and nyk4ever can back me up on this. I used to give him the benefit of the doubt all the time but I still thought he could play better D. I just havent seen the same effort from him lately!

[Edited by - Silverfuel on 03-17-2006 09:46 AM]
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
3/17/2006  9:53 AM
Posted by rvhoss:

carry on.

wow what a load of crap, Ive seen marbury play defense before, he obviously doesnt want to, which is why he doesnt do it consistently. If you watch the games its clear that he just doesnt try on most nights, not that he tries and fails.

[Edited by - Slimpack on 03-17-2006 09:54 AM]
McK1
Member: #964
3/17/2006  10:33 AM
Marbury in the 04 play-offs vs JASON KIDD's Nets prior to game 3:

"Coach I want to play 48 minutes, don't take me out. I'll take my breaks on defense."

[Edited by - McK1 on 03-17-2006 10:34 AM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/17/2006  10:56 AM
The Detroit Pistons, the best team in basketball, the team that became even better after Larry Brown left as coach

that sentence right there is foolish, until the pistons win the championship or get there, how can anyone say they are better after brown left. Ass backwards journalism....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
pistons come to town, surprised by brown's troubles (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy