[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Brown and Marbury work it out
Author Thread
NYKniCksFan87
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #700
3/16/2006  5:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2371401

GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Larry Brown pulled Stephon Marbury out of a meeting and sent him a message: After days of feuding, the Knicks coach still wants his temperamental guard back next season.

Brown

"He told me he could do whatever he wants with this franchise and that he don't want to trade me," Marbury said Thursday after practice. "And that he wanted me to be here and that everything that basically went on throughout the last week was over with."

Nearly a week of fussing and verbal fighting through the media has gone on between the two, with much of it finding its way onto the back pages of the New York tabloids. The feud, though, could be simmering down.

Marbury also said it seemed clear to him that final personnel decisions would be made by Brown, not Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who has been quiet while his coach and point guard have taken potshots at each other.

Brown pulled Marbury out of a film session for their brief chat.

"He flexed a real hard juice card, I know that," Marbury said. "So he definitely made me aware of what he can do. But that doesn't scare me at all."

Marbury's salary would make him difficult to trade, anyway. Brown said he wants Marbury to return, "if he'll buy into what we're trying to do."

"I told him I just wanted him to let us coach him the rest of the year and he's not going anywhere and let's move on," Brown said. "Let's deal in the present and not in the past."

The bickering between the two began after Marbury's comments over the weekend that he needed to be more offensive minded because playing Brown's way wasn't leading to enough wins. The Knicks have one of the NBA's worst records.

Brown responded Monday night by saying he had already given Marbury more freedom than any guard he had ever coached. They kept at each other for two more days, with Marbury vowing at Wednesday's shootaround to keep talking as long as Brown did.

But Brown decided it was time to talk after watching Marbury get booed during Wednesday night's double-overtime victory over Atlanta. Marbury didn't play after the third quarter, and Brown praised his attitude while sitting on the bench.

"Basically, I told him that I appreciated the way he cheered for his teammates at the end of the game and it meant a lot," Brown said. "I was sorry that the crowd, some of the people booed him, that's never what any coach would like to see happen.

"I want to coach him and I want to make him better and I don't want him to have to go through what he's gone through. I really was proud of the way he acted," Brown said.

The relationship between Brown and Marbury has been closely watched since Brown became the Knicks coach last summer. Marbury prefers to score, while Brown has been demanding on point guards throughout his career. There were doubts the two could get along.

Brown was so unhappy with Marbury's game that he sought to have him removed from the 2004 U.S. Olympic team, though the two eventually worked out their differences and Marbury played well in Athens.

Marbury feels he's tried to play the way Brown wants him to, even though he prefers to play at a quicker tempo. He says he'll continue trying -- but not surprisingly offered no guarantees.

"I'm down for what's right," Marbury said. "Like I said, I was committed and I'm still committed to the organization, to doing exactly what he's been asking.

"He told me to play the way he wants me to play and if I don't feel like it's the right way just bear with it. And I didn't say yes and I didn't say no," he said.
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
AUTOADVERT
oohah
Member: #887
3/16/2006  6:02 PM
I'd write a long post, but I...I'm tearing up a little bit.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
NYKniCksFan87
3/16/2006  6:04 PM
lol....lmao...are you being sarcastic man?
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
oohah
Member: #887
3/16/2006  6:05 PM
lol....lmao...are you being sarcastic man?

No I am serious. I am cutting onions while reading this thread.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/16/2006  6:07 PM
Means absolutely nothing. Brown is making the peace before he ships Marbury out - thats all.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
NYKniCksFan87
3/16/2006  6:09 PM
heres an additional article

Marbury, Brown Moving On Together
By Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, March 16, 2006 -- Considering everything that’s been happening -- last night’s pulsating double OT victory, the extracurricular goings-on between Stephon Marbury and Larry Brown -- practice at the Knicks Madison Square Garden Training Center felt almost shocking in its every-day ordinariness. Brown practicing post moves with center Eddy Curry on one end. Marbury, who missed six out of ten from charity stripe against Atlanta, fixing his freebies with assistant George Glymph on the other.
No, there’s nothing new or different there -- until there is. “We spoke this morning,” says Marbury, looking remarkably cheerful. “Coach pulled me out of film and basically told me he can do whatever he wants with this franchise -- and that he didn’t want to trade me, that he wanted me to be here. And that everything that went on the last week is over with.”

“I’m in a very good place,” added Marbury. "I’m happy. Did I NEED him to say that? Nah. But if we are going to forward with the future, this is the only way it’s going to work.”

“As far as everything’s been going on, he has pretty much just killed it,” said Marbury. “He told me to play the way he wants me to play -- and if I don’t think it’s the right way just bear with it. And I didn’t say yes and I didn’t say no.”

“But, basically, I can do that and be happy -- with some tweaks. I feel like I can do anything I want to do on the basketball court. That’s the way the young kids played last night and I was very proud of them.”

“They played great. That’s the style we have to play,” stressed Marbury. “If you play great defense for Coach, he’ll allow you to do whatever you want to do as far as running and pushing the ball. But if we’re not playing defense, he doesn’t want you to just outscore the opponent.”

“That’s his priority. That’s his approach. And I’m down for what’s right. And I’m still committed to do exactly what he’s been asking.”

“Coach flexed the real hard juice card, I know that,” smiled Marbury. “He definitely made me aware of what he can do. But that doesn’t scare me at all. This can all turn around. We can make the adjustment. Anything is possible.”

It would appear so: when the starters were benched for the last quarter plus the two overtimes against Atlanta, and the “young kids” were winning the game, “I noticed that two guys, in particular, were up and cheering like crazy every minute, Quentin (Richardson) and Stephon,” Brown said. “And I told Steph I really appreciated that.”

The entire meeting was “maybe thirty seconds,” said an understated Brown. “Anyway, it was not very long. I told him I just wanted him to let us coach him the rest of the year. He’s not going anywhere and let’s move on.”

“I don’t remember enjoying another game more this year than last night,” said Brown. “And I enjoyed it even more on film. The young kids, the way they played together, their enthusiasm…I don’t think I have rewarded the guys that have come to work every day. But some of those kids are real young and you hope they understand. Look at Qyntel (Woods), the way his career’s been going. He starts against Memphis, played great -- then he sits the next five games. And look what he did last night (8-8 from the field). Jackie Butler, Nate (Robinson)... Jamal (Crawford) has bought in from day one… he’s probably sacrificed more than anyone, him and Quentin. Hopefully, we’ll get more and more guys thinking like that.”

“I’ve got fifteen guys,” added Brown. “And I guarantee you, no coach communicates more than me. I don’t buy the ‘fact’ that people don’t know what I expect. The bottom line is, I’ve got 19 games. Yesterday was as much fun as I’ve had. And hopefully, we’ll move forward.”

“I want Stephon here, this year and next,” said Brown. “Sure, if he’ll buy into what we try to do. I don’t think that impacts him in a negative way at all. I think it’ll help him. There’s no doubt in my mind he can do the things I ask him to do.”

“We’ve got to start to reward guys not based on big names or big contracts, but if they do what we ask them to do,“ said Brown. “Last night the difference in attitude, as far as playing together and enthusiasm, was pretty dramatic. So there was no way I was going to change the lineup. If I had gone back to the first group after the way those guys played, that would been the worst thing a coach could do.”

“This was our Summer League team out there -- think about that. They’re playing better and better. When you get that kind of effort and enthusiasm, good things will happen. Effort overcomes a lot. That’s the team of the future.”
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
3/16/2006  6:11 PM
The interesting thing is that it seemed like Marbury and Brown were on the same page during the six game win streak, and that this thing might just work. Marbury has the talent, and LB knows how to coach, so just shut up and do your jobs.

However, I'm not gonna read too much into this. I don't want to set myself up for this again:

[IMG_block] http://www-stu.calvin.edu/chimes/000218/images/CharlieFootballLucy1978.jpg [/IMG_block]
https:// It's not so hard.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
3/16/2006  6:12 PM
aaahhh, they're holding hands
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
3/16/2006  6:13 PM
"He flexed a real hard juice card, I know that," Marbury said.

Quote of the year!!!

I sincerely hope that the Knicks can win with Marbury. I feel like trading Marbury would set us back. Granted, if that's what has to happen for us to eventually succeed, then so be it. I just think the quickest route to success is for him to buy into the team thing and let go of his personal agenda. We'll see. Hopefully Marbury flexes a real hard team synergy card.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/16/2006  6:24 PM
Posted by BasketballJones:
I'm not gonna read too much into this. I don't want to set myself up for this again:

[IMG_block] http://www-stu.calvin.edu/chimes/000218/images/CharlieFootballLucy1978.jpg [/IMG_block]

LOL! that's exactly how i felt after Marbury reverted back to his old ways following the KVH for TT trade... i thought he'd turned the corner, but that was obviously premature guessing on my part... i wonder how long it'll take for him this time?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/16/2006  6:27 PM

"He told me he could do whatever he wants with this franchise and that he don't want to trade me," Marbury said Thursday after practice. "And that he wanted me to be here and that everything that basically went on throughout the last week was over with."

Nearly a week of fussing and verbal fighting through the media has gone on between the two, with much of it finding its way onto the back pages of the New York tabloids. The feud, though, could be simmering down.

Marbury also said it seemed clear to him that final personnel decisions would be made by Brown, not Knicks president Isiah Thomas, who has been quiet while his coach and point guard have taken potshots at each other.

I think this quote says alot about some of the moves that Isiah made during the season. I think Rose and Francis were Brown's call like Woods. I think any trades will be ok, let me get the parts I think I need to make this trade. I see Francis as tradeable. If Marbury is lying about this quote then he has the biggest balls in the world. If not don't expect to see rookies for sometime.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/16/2006  6:30 PM
IMHO Marb's saying some of the right things but I still don't feel he either gets it or really takes it to heart.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
NYKniCksFan87
3/16/2006  6:31 PM
this could be the turning point...marbury doesnt want to leave ny...than again who knows whats going on in his head
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
3/16/2006  6:42 PM
Posted by martin:

IMHO Marb's saying some of the right things but I still don't feel he either gets it or really takes it to heart.

Funny but you don't mentioned what Larry had to say to Marbury per Marbury. I find it more interesting that he is telling one of his players that he has final say over personnel. This organization is being run like a cheap whore house. Everybody is trying to out gangsta the next person. I want Brown to refute those comments. If they are true then this guy has more blame then first believe. IF this was true at the time of hire, he needs to own up to the Curry trade and the picks which were involve (makes sense more now, and Brown's comment that the Knicks are looking to get rid of picks and acquire veteran help.)
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/16/2006  6:44 PM
“They played great. That’s the style we have to play,” stressed Marbury. “If you play great defense for Coach, he’ll allow you to do whatever you want to do as far as running and pushing the ball. But if we’re not playing defense, he doesn’t want you to just outscore the opponent.”
“That’s his priority. That’s his approach. And I’m down for what’s right. And I’m still committed to do exactly what he’s been asking.”

i hope the rest of you got your bitchin and moaning out of your systems.

It's not about pointing fingers...these are OUR knicks, and it's time to stop figuring out why we suck and thinking about where we are headed.

I know that martin and the other mods like to see the negativity because it brings discussion and awareness to the board, and that's how you build a successfull site...and maybe I'm a little like marbury where I take some of these "I hate marburry" posts as seriously as him and feel the need to not defend marbs, but remind you all that EVERYONE is to blame.

so, I post a photo that says stop bitching and the mods take it down...was it because I was pro knicks and anti the majority of the board and keeping the press from discovering the board?

Nope, they just hated marbury too and wanted to make sure freedom of speech only applied to those posting and keeping the board alive for possible whatever.

I'm going to continue my posts and keep up the love of our beloved knicks and like spike lee, keep my court side seats.

when we turn it around with both marbs and LB and the youth, i wanna see some major attitude shifts in this board...starting with the mods.
all kool aid all the time.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/16/2006  6:58 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

i hope the rest of you got your bitchin and moaning out of your systems.

It's not about pointing fingers...these are OUR knicks, and it's time to stop figuring out why we suck and thinking about where we are headed.

I know that martin and the other mods like to see the negativity because it brings discussion and awareness to the board, and that's how you build a successfull site...and maybe I'm a little like marbury where I take some of these "I hate marburry" posts as seriously as him and feel the need to not defend marbs, but remind you all that EVERYONE is to blame.

so, I post a photo that says stop bitching and the mods take it down...was it because I was pro knicks and anti the majority of the board and keeping the press from discovering the board?

Nope, they just hated marbury too and wanted to make sure freedom of speech only applied to those posting and keeping the board alive for possible whatever.

I'm going to continue my posts and keep up the love of our beloved knicks and like spike lee, keep my court side seats.

when we turn it around with both marbs and LB and the youth, i wanna see some major attitude shifts in this board...starting with the mods.

dude, you are a trip. Andrew and I hardly mod any posts. I didn't see your pic, but if all it said was Stop Bitching, it's no wonder it's gone.

I'll argue with posters all day long, but I don't remove posts unless it's completely filled with profanity (or along that line) or a pic that has nothing to do with anything.

Personaly, I don't care for the negatively, I care for good discussion, so you are completely off on that statement and assumption.

No one is completely BLAMING Marbury for the crappy season, at least I am not, and I have to believe it is that way with others. Apparently that's just the way you percieve it. I do think that Marb was waaaay out of line with this whole blowup with LB.

You have court side seats?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
eViL
USA
3/16/2006  7:00 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

That's funny - I call my couch my courtside seats too...
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/16/2006  7:01 PM
now that is funny. don't hate. when you graduate high school maybe daddy will get you some tix.

all kool aid all the time.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/16/2006  7:27 PM
hey.. I hope Marbury DOES stay and this DOES work. Then, if nothing else this season wasnt a waste.

Brownie loves a challenge and he LOVES to be the hero. Along with winning here I'm sure he would like nothing more than to be the guy that turns around a bunch of losers and their careers into a winning BB squad.

Personally I can think of nothing more fun to watch

I could see RV having courtside seats. I think if I paid what they costed I would delude myself into thinking everything happening with the Knicks is positive and good.

RV if thats the case I take it all back.. this has all been part of a master plan and media conspiracy to make next year's climb to the finals THAT much more dramatic.

I'm all in
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
eViL
USA
3/16/2006  7:30 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

now that is funny. don't hate. when you graduate high school maybe daddy will get you some tix.

HAHA!! RV, is that who buys you your tix? You're a clown.

Let me say that bragging on an internet forum really establishes you. I don't drop things about my personal life on this forum because the forum isn't about me. It's about the Knicks. I'm not the punk who felt it necessary to liken himself to Spike Lee.

[Edited by - eViL on 03-16-2006 7:31 PM]
Brown and Marbury work it out

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy