[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Layden was after Sabonis..
Author Thread
Explosive23
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #184
United Kingdom
8/20/2002  4:30 AM
..according to this morning's NY Post. The article also said the Knicks had no interest in bringing back Ewing:

"While the Knicks still have no interest in bringing free agent Patrick Ewing back as a player, GM Scott Layden has tried to convince free-agent center Arvydas Sabonis to make his comeback to the NBA in New York.

Herb Rudoy, Sabonis' agent, told The Post Layden heavily pursued the 7-3, 290-pound Sabonis, but ultimately will lose out this week to Portland.

Sabonis, 37, who sat out last season and lived in Malaga, Spain, is expected to sign either a one or two-year deal to return to the Blazers late this week, according to Rudoy. Portland retained his Bird rights and was able to offer him a deal over the mid-level exception, starting at more than $6M, which should lift the Blazers over the Knicks for league-high payroll at over $90M.

When the summer began, Layden only had his $4.5 exception to offer Sabonis. But Sabonis truly only wanted to play for Portland where he felt comfortable. Layden's inquiries began during last season when he was desperate to add a big man. "Scott has asked me a lot over the last year what Sabonis is going to do," Rudoy said. "Scott really kept on top of it, called me more than half-dozen times. But every time I mentioned New York to Sabonis, he said he just wanted to play in Portland."

Layden thinks Ewing can still make a contribution but if he's going to add to his payroll, he wants a player capable of making a bigger difference, according to a source.

Point guard Milos Vujanic, the Knicks' second-round pick last June, helped Yugoslavia to the championship Sunday over Canada in the Efes Pilsen World Cup in Turkey. The event consisted of several teams who will participate in next week's World Championships in Indy at which the Knick brass will scout Vujanic. Layden hopes to have Vujanic in training camp in 2003 . . . Even with the Michael Doleac signing, Layden, who returns from vacation today, is still trying to trade for a center and also a point guard. Earlier this summer, he had conversations with Houston about Kelvin Cato. Free-agent centers Michael Olowokandi and Rasho Nesterovic are still unsigned but Layden would have to do a sign-and-trade. Don't count on it. Nick Van Exel and Gary Payton are PG trade targets. Free agent Rod Strickland is high on Layden's list for the rest of their mid-level exception but only if he can trade Charlie Ward first."
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/20/2002  6:34 AM
Sounds like an acknowledgement that this roster isn't finished yet, we all know it but company line seemed to be saying otherwise. I would like the addition of Cato but can't think of any deal the rockets and the knicks would do with mutual benefits.
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/20/2002  8:54 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Sounds like an acknowledgement that this roster isn't finished yet, we all know it but company line seemed to be saying otherwise. I would like the addition of Cato but can't think of any deal the rockets and the knicks would do with mutual benefits.
send back shandon for cato
Dan1078
Member: #283
8/20/2002  9:53 AM
I dont see a trade for Cato ever going through. Houston needs a center for insurance just in case Yao is a flop. I think that Yao's
only going to play 15-20 mpg anyway.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/20/2002  9:58 AM
Posted by Dan1078:

I dont see a trade for Cato ever going through. Houston needs a center for insurance just in case Yao is a flop. I think that Yao's
only going to play 15-20 mpg anyway.

I think the Rockets have the rights to Thomas Hamilton. This guy is 7'2'' 360lbs. If the Knicks want a center just to fill space than that is your guy. He played in the developmental league.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/20/2002  10:57 AM
We should trade Harrington and Knight to Houston for Kelvin Cato. They both have expiring contracts and Houston is the type of team that will want cap relief in the future. We could add a second round pick too because we have two in next years draft. Houston has had good luck with second rounders in the past so that might be a nice addition to the trade. Then we send Thomas and Ward to Dallas for Nick Van Exel and suddenly we're a really good team.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/20/2002  11:46 AM
How would that help the Knicks? 2 expiring contracts and a draft pick for Kelvin Cato? Give me a break, that's a terrible move. I know they need a center, but teams have won in the East without a premier center.
#Knickstaps
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/20/2002  3:16 PM
Well I think this proves Layden isnt dumb - he was after a big man, and I think Sabonis while not being the complete answer - would definitely help this team at least for a year or 2. He is a solid player - its too bad he is a Portland 4 life guy. But he does belong there. It still would have been cool to have him. So do you guys think we will add another big man or are we going in to the season like this? I dont think any moves are coming...I just have that feeling.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Dan1078
Member: #283
8/20/2002  3:40 PM
I an imagine KT starting at center and Im ok with that. While Kurt is under-sized, he did have a breakout year last season.

But I think that a starting pg team of Charlie, Eisley and Frank Williams is very weak.

My gut feeling is that Layden will sign a serviceable center and will trade KT and Ward for Van Exel.

BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/21/2002  12:48 AM
How does this prove that Layden is not incompetent and I'm wondering why it is even news worthy. He's called on every center in the league Mourning Robinson Mutumbo how many times and for goodness sakes he probably called on Shaq. But he gave the money to Shanden Andersen Howard Eislsey Clarence Weatherspoon Marc Jackson Luc Longley Travis Knight and Mike Doleac ++ he gave away 1st round picks for nothing and darfted in the second round like crapola--his supposed skill.

He trolled around and finally came upon a team who were interested in completely rebuilding and Mcdyess had already told the Nuggets he was high tailing after the season. All right well he's made hundreds of millions of dollars in transactions and we are in salary cap hll for years to come thanks to his brilliance. This is his year as he says"He likes the team" so if this team fails he should follow Shawn Kemp and leave the paycheck on the frontdesk and walk away like a man--instead of being shamed just a little more. I think New York was tolerant until last summer when he made those inane trades and signings after he got beat by his own trading of Childs to the Raptors + a 1 who couldve been Quintel Woods. If this season is a flush and many smart basketball people who have followed the game and played--intelligent Knick season ticket holders think it wil be----Layden and the ENTIRE staff are GONE.

I already said on the other board bring on Chuck Daily Jim Calhoun and Magic Johnson as consultants to find a brand new management team.
RIP Crushalot😞
nwny
Member: #284
8/21/2002  2:09 AM
Posted by OasisBU:

Well I think this proves Layden isnt dumb - he was after a big man, and I think Sabonis while not being the complete answer - would definitely help this team at least for a year or 2. He is a solid player - its too bad he is a Portland 4 life guy. But he does belong there. It still would have been cool to have him. So do you guys think we will add another big man or are we going in to the season like this? I dont think any moves are coming...I just have that feeling.
No it only proves you don't read. Sabonis said he was only coming back if he could play for Portland where he is comfortable (don't ask me why he would be comfortable there, I'm only telling you what the man said). Add to the fact that he signed for 6 million per means we didn't have enough to get him. Remember we have our verterens exception, plus whatever's left from what we are paying Doleac (which I can't remeber how much it is but it's not 6 mill, it's more like 2.5 mil).
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/21/2002  9:48 AM
Posted by nwny:

No it only proves you don't read. Sabonis said he was only coming back if he could play for Portland where he is comfortable

Um....did you read what OasisBU actually wrote? He pretty much said the same thing.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
nwny
Member: #284
8/26/2002  8:43 PM
Posted by Andrew:
Posted by nwny:

No it only proves you don't read. Sabonis said he was only coming back if he could play for Portland where he is comfortable

Um....did you read what OasisBU actually wrote? He pretty much said the same thing.
I directed the post to OasisBU when I ment to direct it to BRIGGS.
Layden was after Sabonis..

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy