[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Marbury: It's personal now (Sheridan - ESPN.com)
Author Thread
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/15/2006  2:56 PM
Marbury: 'It's personal now'
posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006

The Larry Brown vs. Stephon Marbury feud escalated this morning at the Knicks' shootaround, the hate-hate relationship sinking to new depths of discord.

First, Marbury stood before reporters, called Brown insecure and vowed he'd keep striking back at Brown whenever he feels he's been publicly criticized.

Next, Brown castigated Marbury for having a selfish agenda and deflecting blame.

"I think it's personal now," Marbury said. "I don't think it's about basketball anymore. Now it's to the point where he's putting his 30-year career against my 10-year career. You know, coach is a great coach is what everyone says. We're supposed to be better than what we are. Did it happen now? No."

Brown was a portrait of disgust one day after asking people to compare his track record vs. his point guard's. Criticizing Marbury's "agenda," Brown also insinuated that Marbury hadn't accepted his share of the criticism for the Knicks having the NBA's worst record despite its highest payroll.

"So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault," Brown said.

This was the fifth straight day of the two adversaries bickering at each other, and Wednesday's developments left the rest of the team staring in disbelief as first Marbury, then Brown, went through the ritual of airing their gripes through the team's beat writers.

"You've got to wonder whether both these guys own newspaper stocks," quipped Howard Beck of the Times.

A few more quotes from Marbury's diatribe and Brown's retort:

From Marbury:

"If coach is comparing his career to my career, he's got like a 20-year edge on me. To me that sounds like a lot of insecurity is going on. … He's speaking on things he's done, and I think people in New York want to know what he's going to do, you know, as far as us winning. What happened in the past is the past. I think New Yorkers can relate [to] what's going to happen now. We live more in the present."

On whether Brown had crossed the line by comparing his own track record of improving the teams he has coached to Marbury's history of failing to make better any of the teams he's been traded to:

"He always crosses the line. That's not nothing new. Certain coaches deal with certain things certain ways, and he handles his things through the media as opposed to sitting down and talking with people. And still, if you sit down and you talk with coach, it's liable to get back to everybody, so you're really not safe there either."

On whether he wants to play for Brown:

"I want to play basketball in New York. I love New York, and I believe New York loves me. … I'm at the point where I just want to win, and I want to play in New York more than anything in this world. But if that's not happening next year, I can't cry about it. I've been in this situation before and I understand, I know it's a business."

On whether Isiah Thomas should step in and try to resolve the feud:

"We don't have to have another grown man come and mediate two grown men. What's that about? He's the boss, but if there's a problem, come to me like a man. I don't have no problem. I'm comfortable with myself. I know who I am as a person."

On their future:

"I can coexist. I can't speak for another person. I'm cool. I'm fine. I can deal with it. But I'm no longer going to allow him to say things about me and I'm not going to say anything back. I mean that's just not going to happen. That's not going to happen. I allowed him to drag me the first three or four months in the paper, and I didn't say one word. I just sat back and just took it. But I'm not taking it no more. If something's going to be said, I'm going to defend myself. My mother taught me that: Somebody hits you, you hit them back."

On what the solution might be:

"I don't know. If I was a chemistry teacher, I'd probably have an answer, but I don't. … I don't need no new start. My start is right here in New York unless they say otherwise."

A few snippets from Brown:

Upon being informed that Marbury planned to continue answering perceived slights through the media:

"That's great, that's great. Again, I'm the coach of a basketball team, and the only thing that matters to me is that we play the right way, share the ball, try to guard and care about our teammates. I'm going to focus on that. I'm not going to focus on things that have nothing to do with being a good teammate. I've been coaching the same way my whole life. Things that really matter, I've said over and over and over again. It's amazing to me. I've never had a problem getting people to understand that before, and it's mind boggling to me after we win two games that it becomes an issue. So I want to focus on guys that are trying to do the right things to help our team win, and that's what I'm going to do."

Ever deal with anything like this before?

"Never. Never."

Does it raise doubts in Brown's mind about whether he and Marbury are a good pairing going forward?

"Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait. No coach, no coach, would enjoy this situation. Because every coach that coaches this sport, it's about team. And when you hear players talk about team, you get real excited. When you don't hear players talk about team, it's not a lot of fun."

Would he walk away in frustration?

"No, no. No, no."

Is the best solution to trade Marbury over the summer?

"I'm not even thinking about that. I'm just trying to coach our team and make guys better. I want guys that care about the team that want to win games that understand what our problems are and try to correct them."

Is Marbury one of those guys?

"Well, we'll see. We're 17-45, and I'll take full responsibility for us winning 17 games and losing 45. So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault.

"I don't know why you play a team sport and not be concerned about making your teammates better and helping your team win games. That's the only thing that really matters, and if you're the best player, surely you're going to have some effect on the game's outcome. And I've said this from Day 1, I've never given anybody in my career more free rein. In my career. And I went to the conference finals with Haywoode Workman as the point guard. Eric Snow was the fourth-string point guard in Seattle, and we went to the NBA Finals [with Snow in Philadelphia].

"I've been around guys, and every good team, it's all about team, and that's what we're going to try and get. You want to come and join that? That's fine. That's the only message that needs to be sent. You want to be part of the team and make your teammates better, you want to care about the right things and playing the right way, this is a pretty good place to be. You don't have that on your agenda, then this is probably a bad place to be."

If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
AUTOADVERT
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/15/2006  3:05 PM
This is stupid.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/15/2006  3:06 PM
this is like an episode of degrassi junior high.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/15/2006  3:10 PM

I can't believe this actually really happened.

Larry is hard headed for sure, but I can't believe the "hating" media pegged this one at the beginning of the season.

Larry is freaking pissed off that Marbs all season long did not take any of it his way.

Im siding with Larry here. Marbs got no cred here regarding his track record. Larry is preaching TEAM. Larry is Preaching fundamentals. Marbs is unveiling "Starbury".

Too many reports about marbury over the years. Yelling at Lenny's coaches, KT or Q wanting to rip his head off, and his exile from three teams. Sure larry has his warts, but he wins. Marbs does not. end of story.

Shameful situation!
NYKfan1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #679
USA
3/15/2006  3:10 PM
suspend marbury for conduct detrimental to team, and see what francis can do for us as the starter. also give nate a chance to play. i am so tired of marbury, he needs to go away. im not exactly a big brown supporter in the way he is handling this either but one problem at a time.
djsunyc
3/15/2006  3:14 PM
Posted by Nalod:

I can't believe this actually really happened.

Larry is hard headed for sure, but I can't believe the "hating" media pegged this one at the beginning of the season.

Larry is freaking pissed off that Marbs all season long did not take any of it his way.

Im siding with Larry here. Marbs got no cred here regarding his track record. Larry is preaching TEAM. Larry is Preaching fundamentals. Marbs is unveiling "Starbury".

Too many reports about marbury over the years. Yelling at Lenny's coaches, KT or Q wanting to rip his head off, and his exile from three teams. Sure larry has his warts, but he wins. Marbs does not. end of story.

Shameful situation!

it doesn't matter who's right or wrong here. it's just totally unprofessional for BOTH parties. and it's indicative of the way dolan runs his company.

amazing, absolutely amazing.

they're like two high school girls that hate each other and yenta out all their venom to everybody that will listen all the while not dealing with it themselves.

TOTALLY unprofessional.
djsunyc
3/15/2006  3:15 PM
Posted by NYKfan1:

suspend marbury for conduct detrimental to team, and see what francis can do for us as the starter. also give nate a chance to play. i am so tired of marbury, he needs to go away. im not exactly a big brown supporter in the way he is handling this either but one problem at a time.

can't do it - the players association will be all over this one.
efw
Member: #1002

3/15/2006  3:19 PM
wait...is this real?

is it a dream within a dream...within a nightmare?

nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/15/2006  3:20 PM
Get Marbury out of here. The man has gotten in fights with 2 teamates here in New York, he has done absolutely nothing in New York just like he did at every other stop and this was BEFORE Larry Brown got here. Marbury has proven to be nothing but a team cancer at every single stop he's been at, becuase of his horrible attitude towards his teammates, coaches and his inability to show ANY leadership period. Marbury is was and always will be a whining NBA loser.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/15/2006  3:20 PM

He can sit and sulk. And further ruin his value or chance we can dump him. WE are not exactly sitting in a position to negotiate all that much.

He knows it too. He gonna get paid one way or the other.

Who is gonna want this player? Who ever wanted him execpt us anyway?

I am surprised that Isiah of all cannot get inside marbs thick head and set him right.

Maybe Isiah is as disappionted and has given up on him. They really needed to succed and really needed each other to do so.
holfresh
Member: #1081

3/15/2006  3:24 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by NYKfan1:

I would love to see both parties suspended some how...I know it won't happen...

NYKfan1
Member: #679
USA
3/15/2006  3:27 PM

true. he should be at least benched at this point though, the season is over and he is blatantly calling out the coach everyday. let francis start and see what he can do, and let the kids play. marbury couldnt possibly complain any worse there anyway and at least we wouldnt have to see him on the court anymore, i dont even rly care what we get for him at this point in the off-season as long as it isnt his clone in a deal w/the gorvernment.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
3/15/2006  3:27 PM
I would blame both guys.

But when Larry said how he won alot with 2 low-life, little used PG's in Workman and Snow, I'm beginning to see how he really doesnt care about individual talent.

He means well. And Marbury just isn't caving. It's not Brown's job to cave. It's Marbury's move here --- cave, or get traded.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/15/2006  3:35 PM
"So, you're the best guard in the league and the team is 17-45, yeah, it's the coach's fault," Brown said.

have to admit, that was some funny sheit.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/15/2006  3:36 PM
Posted by bobs3304:

I would blame both guys.

But when Larry said how he won alot with 2 low-life, little used PG's in Workman and Snow, I'm beginning to see how he really doesnt care about individual talent.

He means well. And Marbury just isn't caving. It's not Brown's job to cave. It's Marbury's move here --- cave, or get traded.
dead on... I thought LB's message was clear. We dont NEED you. We can win just fine with a less talented player. Been there, done that. Larry always goes back to the same thing. Take care of the ball, share the ball defend. NY loves those things more than Marbury

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
3/15/2006  3:36 PM
Posted by TMS:

have to admit, that was some funny sheit.

steph said he was the best POINT GUARD in the league larry, not best guard. talk about reaching...
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/15/2006  3:40 PM
i have this image in my head now... Marbury's playing for another team, he's putting up #'s & getting booed at the garden... he does the old "come on bring it" motion w/his arms egging the crowd on... but his team is losing by 20 points.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
3/15/2006  3:47 PM
btw, i think it's a foregone conclusion that steph knows he's getting traded. so he's not gonna go down without a fight.
djsunyc
3/15/2006  3:48 PM
Posted by TMS:

he does the old "come on bring it" motion w/his arms egging the crowd on...

seeing riley do that with the heat in 96 was surreal.

FrenchKnicks
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #147
France
3/15/2006  3:54 PM
How is it possible not to hate Stephon?
Marbury: It's personal now (Sheridan - ESPN.com)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy