[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

wow... anyone read the Steve Popper article?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/15/2006  1:37 PM
With present criticism, comes past praise for Brown

Mar 08, 2006

Let me read something to you:

"Larry is the ultimate coach. He is a true teacher who understands basketball better than anyone else and puts players in the best position to succeed as a team. Larry’s teams always perform to the best of their ability and in most cases beyond. Larry blends individuals together to build a cohesive unit that plays as one."

It seems a time that maybe we need a reminder. That one comes courtesy of Jason Kidd, and to pump a book that I was a part of, it comes from the book, “The Perfect Team.” In it, besides putting together as the title implies, the NBA’s perfect team, each member of the team puts together his own team.

And Kidd described Larry Brown that way.

When the season has gone on as long as it has, when the losses have piled up the way they have and the critics have piled on, it seemed time for a reminder.

The Hall of Fame coach has been enduring one of his toughest seasons yet with the Knicks. (AP)
But you might say that Kidd never played for Brown. He never had to endure the practice sessions in which his flaws are picked at. He never had to listen to Brown question him openly to the media.
So let’s go a few pages away from Kidd’s comment and find someone who did play for Brown. How about the most scrutinized relationship that Brown has been a part of in his long coaching career – his constant tug of war with Allen Iverson. Let Iverson explain.

“Phil Jackson is a great coach, and you have to be able to motivate players to have won all of those championships, but honestly, I’d go with Larry Brown as the coach of my team, I honestly would. The man can just coach.”

You almost have to reread that to believe it. But he said it. Given his choice of any coach in the history of the game, that is what Iverson had to say. So you think, maybe someday Stephon Marbury will say the same thing. But that sure seems a long way off right now.

Brown and Marbury have engaged in the sort of back-and-forth this season that make the Iverson-Brown pairing seem like some sort of romance novel. Maybe it started back in the Athen’s Olympics in 2004, but the backhanded snipes back and forth have only reinforced the on-court troubles.

When Marbury commented a few days ago that the team still seemed confused on the court even this late in the season, Brown did not let it pass.

Monday at practice, Brown said, “I don’t react to what he says,” and then proceeded to react.

“If we share the ball and try to guard and try to play hard you’ll generally get something accomplished,” Brown said. “I’ve been preaching that forever. If you want to listen and learn, you’ll get it. If you don’t, chances are you won’t figure it out.”

Marbury and Brown's relationship is played out through the media. (AP)
The criticism of Brown is easy to come by this season. The opportunities to pick him apart haven’t come often in his career, but he hasn’t had many seasons like this one. Shuffling players in and out of the rotation, in and out of the starting lineup and seemingly in and out of New York, the team has seemed lost at times.
But it’s hard to point to eight players who merit a steady diet of minutes. It’s near impossible to create a lineup out of this team that includes five starters who fill the roles that they need to.

When Steve Francis arrived, Marbury declared that it was time to loosen the reins and let the team run. But Brown insisted it wasn’t his intention to stifle the offense – just his belief that any running game needed to start with defense and rebounding.

“I’ve never talked anything about a systems coach in my life,” Brown added Monday. “I’ve been a basketball coach, about guys playing the right way. And I think that’s always been what I’ve said. It’s amazing to me that the guys who have wanted to have really prospered, wherever I’ve been. It’s always about the team and that’s the only thing that matters.”

It’s a way of playing the game that has worked for every other stop in Brown’s nomadic coaching career. And it’s worked for players – like Iverson – who you might not think it would work for. But it did, at least in every stop until this one.

That makes you read through the words of players like Kidd and Iverson. And it makes you wonder if you’ll read that sort of thing from Marbury some day. And if you don’t, you probably won’t have to wonder whose fault that is.

http://msgnetwork.com/content_news.jsp?articleID=v0000msgn20060308T143149937
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/15/2006  1:43 PM
If you want to listen and learn, you’ll get it. If you don’t, chances are you won’t figure it out.”

so simple, & yet so hard for some to fathom.. i'm making that my new sig.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

3/15/2006  2:06 PM
Nice to see Kidd's quote there...Did he miss the quotes from the Olympic team about Larry....He blends players to make a cohesive unit...Tell that to Amare who only got 2 mins a game in the Olympics...Or LeBron who only got 15 mins a game....

Popper has been a Larry lover since day one...

oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
3/15/2006  2:13 PM
Larry is the ultimate coach. He is a true teacher who understands basketball better than anyone else and puts players in the best position to succeed as a team. Larry’s teams always perform to the best of their ability and in most cases beyond. Larry blends individuals together to build a cohesive unit that plays as one.

Has LB done that this season? Has he put the Knicks in a position to succeed? Has he "blended individuals together"?

NO.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
fishmike
USA
3/15/2006  2:16 PM
Posted by holfresh:

Nice to see Kidd's quote there...Did he miss the quotes from the Olympic team about Larry....He blends players to make a cohesive unit...Tell that to Amare who only got 2 mins a game in the Olympics...Or LeBron who only got 15 mins a game....

who did those guys sit for? Who was playing in front of them? Maybe Tim Duncan? Marion? Jefferson? Bunch of scrubs huh.

djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/15/2006  2:21 PM
i'm pretty amazed at how some people are so anti-larry. i mean, i don't even know what to say anymore except "wow".
fishmike
USA
3/15/2006  2:22 PM
Posted by oohah:
Larry is the ultimate coach. He is a true teacher who understands basketball better than anyone else and puts players in the best position to succeed as a team. Larry’s teams always perform to the best of their ability and in most cases beyond. Larry blends individuals together to build a cohesive unit that plays as one.

Has LB done that this season? Has he put the Knicks in a position to succeed? Has he "blended individuals together"?

NO.

oohah
I thought Popper made a fair point. Name 8 players that clearly established they deserved to be in a permanent rotation.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/15/2006  2:26 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by holfresh:

who did those guys sit for? Who was playing in front of them? Maybe Tim Duncan? Marion? Jefferson? Bunch of scrubs huh.

Yup. That's like saying how come Pippen, Mullin and Stockton didn't get much playing time in the original dream team games.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/15/2006  2:28 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by oohah:

NO.

oohah
I thought Popper made a fair point. Name 8 players that clearly established they deserved to be in a permanent rotation.

Make it easier: Name 5 starters who can compete.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/15/2006  2:28 PM
Larry is making a point to the young players that no matter what, they have to work for what they get, and that includes playing time, and just b/c the media is saying they should be starting, doesn't mean they have earned it. Our perception of better and earning it over Malik and Mo and Jerome is far different than Larry's, and quite frankly, I trust his perception a hell of a lot more. He knows what he's doing. We don't. He's the one who counts. We're not.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
fishmike
USA
3/15/2006  2:36 PM
the more I watch the more I think Larry IS doing a good job. He's asking the players to do simple things and they dont or they cant. They make the same mistakes over and over again. This is the only thing thats going to bring change, both inside the roster and from the GM
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/15/2006  2:41 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

Larry is making a point to the young players that no matter what, they have to work for what they get, and that includes playing time, and just b/c the media is saying they should be starting, doesn't mean they have earned it. Our perception of better and earning it over Malik and Mo and Jerome is far different than Larry's, and quite frankly, I trust his perception a hell of a lot more. He knows what he's doing. We don't. He's the one who counts. We're not.

Posted by fishmike:

the more I watch the more I think Larry IS doing a good job. He's asking the players to do simple things and they dont or they cant. They make the same mistakes over and over again. This is the only thing thats going to bring change, both inside the roster and from the GM

Agreed and agreed. You watch LB's substitute patterns closely. Curry gets 2 fouls in the first half before he is pulled (unless it is part of his normal time rotation). Q chucks a shot more than he should and he gets pulled, BUT he is put back in pretty much immediately if he is playing good D - LB just wants a 1 minute sideline chat. Same goes for the other guys. I have never seen it so much before: A coach pulling a guy for 1 minute and then inserting him back in.

Frye misses a defensive rotation after he is picked in the pick-n-roll, he comes out. Craw leaves his man at the 3-point line twice for open shots, he gets pulled. Nate goes to the basket and jumps and has nowhere to go, he sits. Same all around.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/15/2006  2:42 PM
It sucks, b/c Malik is doing the job, but he's just so short and not even a high jumper, that the fact that he's such a good competitor and works so hard and does the right things gets overlooked by that. Unfortunately, everyone should be blowing him away in terms of playing time, but they aren't. Nobody seems to understand why, but they aren't watching what's happening right before their eyes.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
wow... anyone read the Steve Popper article?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy