[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Van Exel Rumor Resurfaced
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
8/18/2002  10:25 PM
Aug. 16 - The Knicks and Mavs have been talking, on and off, about a Nick Van Exel-for-Kurt Thomas-and-Charlie Ward swap since before the draft. What's the holdup?The New York Times has an interesting story today claiming that the Mavs would be willing to take Thomas and Ward for Van Exel, but Knicks president Scott Layden is reluctant to pull the trigger until he finds a starting-caliber center to replace Thomas. Cuban has worried that his starting point guard, Steve Nash, may not hold up for the entire season. Now that Nash has opted out of the World Championships and plans to rest this summer, Cuban may have the comfort level it takes to move Van Exel. The Knicks could work out an agreement with the Mavs that would include guarantees that Dallas wouldn't match a mid-level offer for restricted free agent ZhiZhi Wang, but again, it isn't clear that he's the answer in the middle either.

So my question is are we better off with an all-star calibre point guard, but weak up front than we are now? I think we could get away with Doleac and another alright center in the east. Ewing, Willis, or Wang could probably do for this season. Also, thinking of teams that have good back-up centers, we could try getting Mohammed, Foyle, Booth, etc... but i don't know what they would take from us in trade. So are we better off with what we have now or this potential plan?
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/18/2002  10:30 PM
"are we better off with an all-star calibre point guard,"-When was the last time Nick Van Exel made an all-star game. I'd rather keep Ward, keep Thomas, and start the season and see how the Knicks fare instead of just bringing in another offensive minded player while the Knicks get even weaker downlow. Even though Thomas put up great numbers last year and that might've been an abberation, he still is a good post defender. I'd test this team out first before deciding it needs even more firepower at the expense of the one good post defender they have.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/19/2002  9:29 AM
Posted by Knixkik:

Aug. 16 - The Knicks and Mavs have been talking, on and off, about a Nick Van Exel-for-Kurt Thomas-and-Charlie Ward swap since before the draft. What's the holdup?The New York Times has an interesting story today claiming that the Mavs would be willing to take Thomas and Ward for Van Exel, but Knicks president Scott Layden is reluctant to pull the trigger until he finds a starting-caliber center to replace Thomas. Cuban has worried that his starting point guard, Steve Nash, may not hold up for the entire season. Now that Nash has opted out of the World Championships and plans to rest this summer, Cuban may have the comfort level it takes to move Van Exel. The Knicks could work out an agreement with the Mavs that would include guarantees that Dallas wouldn't match a mid-level offer for restricted free agent ZhiZhi Wang, but again, it isn't clear that he's the answer in the middle either.

So my question is are we better off with an all-star calibre point guard, but weak up front than we are now? I think we could get away with Doleac and another alright center in the east. Ewing, Willis, or Wang could probably do for this season. Also, thinking of teams that have good back-up centers, we could try getting Mohammed, Foyle, Booth, etc... but i don't know what they would take from us in trade. So are we better off with what we have now or this potential plan?

We would be better off taking NVE with out a doubt. This is why, he creates opportunities for others and can score. Spread the floor with his shooting which would allow more room for Houston to get wide open looks, Spree to slash to the basket and dice more room to operate in the post.

I think Doleac can hold down the center spot, just rebound and play good defense. That is all he would have to concentrate on a role very similar to Oakley had when he was in NY. He also would benefit from having NVE on the court being the last scoring option he would open up for easy opportunities, because teams would automatically leave him open so they can help out on the shooters. It would be a wise move for the Knicks to get Van Excel.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/19/2002  9:32 AM
I really like Mohammed from ATL but ATL might do a few deal before the season starts. Mohammed is just what we need but Booth may be available at a more reasonable price.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/19/2002  9:34 AM
I think Layden is worried if McDyess get injured again there would be no one up front and the team would be worse off than last year. Travis Knight would be a starter which is a scary thought.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/19/2002  10:11 AM
Posted by falcindor:

I think Layden is worried if McDyess get injured again there would be no one up front and the team would be worse off than last year. Travis Knight would be a starter which is a scary thought.

They have Harrington and Spoon. If Dice were to get injured.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/19/2002  11:05 AM
TIM HARDAWAY A KNICK?: This rumor won’t go away… sources close to the Knicks are saying that free agent Tim Hardaway has been in contact with the Knicks about solving their point guard problem, who in the room could imagine TimBug in MSG donning a Knicks jersey? Sorry I’ll believe that one when I see it …

So would Hardaway improve the Knicks point guard situation? I think signing him to a 1-year deal could help. Thoughts?
Dan1078
Member: #283
8/19/2002  1:54 PM
No way. Tim Hardaway is a shell of his former self. His knees are shot, he's lost his quickness.

The Knicks got rid of Mark Jackson for the same reasons. Id rather have Jackson at PG than Hardaway.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/19/2002  3:41 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

TIM HARDAWAY A KNICK?: This rumor won’t go away… sources close to the Knicks are saying that free agent Tim Hardaway has been in contact with the Knicks about solving their point guard problem, who in the room could imagine TimBug in MSG donning a Knicks jersey? Sorry I’ll believe that one when I see it …

So would Hardaway improve the Knicks point guard situation? I think signing him to a 1-year deal could help. Thoughts?

YAPUTKACL: Yet Another Player Using The Knicks As Contract Leverage.

I wish those letters spelled YUCK or something.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Van Exel Rumor Resurfaced

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy