[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sign Ewing?
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
8/15/2002  4:59 PM
Ewing and Orlando agreed on a buyout or something of the sort. I say we sign him to a 1-year deal for the vet's minimum because he's still got one more year in him as a decent back-up center. Then he retires a Knick and is hired as part of the coaching staff the following year. Thoughts?
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/15/2002  5:10 PM
Yeah, here is the article.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0815/1418387.html

I'd love to sign him to a 1-year deal, then have him as a coach next year. He could be the big man coach, teach Doleac, Knight, Thomas, McDyess, and Harrington some post-up moves.

Then Jackson can come back and teach Eisley, Ward, and Williams how to lead a team as a point guard.

Let's go Knicks.
#Knickstaps
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/15/2002  5:45 PM
I wouldnt mind seeing Ewing back in the blue and orange for one more season.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
nwny
Member: #284
8/15/2002  9:26 PM
The reason they agreed to ther buy out is because Ewings surgery was unsuccesfull. His hand permanently damaged. He'll can't effectivley contribute to team.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
8/15/2002  9:41 PM
Karma-wise, I'd love to see Ewing back in a Knicks uniform, even if he just rides the pine for the whole season. If he could actually contribute for a few minutes a game, even better.
sexualtennis
Member: #297
USA
8/15/2002  10:11 PM
Posted by knickgeek:

Karma-wise, I'd love to see Ewing back in a Knicks uniform, even if he just rides the pine for the whole season. If he could actually contribute for a few minutes a game, even better.

the fans might enjoy it but i don't think he could or would swallow his pride to do just that.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/15/2002  11:33 PM
Can the Knicks offer him one of those one day contracts for zero dollars so he can retire as a Knick, similar to what Randall Cunningham is doing in the NFL with the Philadelphia Eagles? If they can't do that, just bring him back as a coach, he and Herb Williams can coach the big men. Williams could cover rebounding, Ewing could cover scoring.

I hope the Knicks retire Ewing's jersey.
#Knickstaps
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/16/2002  9:41 AM
I hope the Knicks retire Ewing's jersey.
I think it's obvious they're going to retire his jersey eventually. No one in a Knicks uni will ever wear 33 again unless Ewing comes back for a year. Ewing is old but can score, rebound, block shots, and play in the post and thats something we don't have from any of our centers. I think we could use him in case of injury or playing against a bigger team.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/16/2002  9:49 AM
Im shocked they let Dyess take Oaks "34". If Oak stayed a Knick I think they would have retired it. Certain numbers are sorta sacred. i was mad when Ed Cota took Starks "3" in pre-season last year. He should have caught a beat down for doing that.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Knicks
Member: #313
8/16/2002  10:40 AM
Pick up Ewing cheap, bring back Oakley for one year, trade for Damon or NVE, and let caution fly to the wind, at least the season might be interesting.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/16/2002  11:03 AM
Posted by Knicks:

Pick up Ewing cheap, bring back Oakley for one year, trade for Damon or NVE, and let caution fly to the wind, at least the season might be interesting.

I agree with you get Ewing and Oakley back here, for one simple reason to let the new players know what it means to be a knick. I think Oakley and Ewing bleed orange and blue and any other uniform makes them weaker. Get Ewing in a Knick uniform and watch him come close to averaging a double double for the season. 8-10 points and 8 or 9 rebounds a game. Oak is good for teaching toughness something that the team has been missing since they went with Camby (Mr. Glass). These are moves that will never happen though.

For Ewing sake I hope Lakers pick him up for the season and get him his elusive ring. It may not mean much but it will be a ring.
nwny
8/16/2002  9:45 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

Ewing is old but can score, rebound, block shots, and play in the post and thats something we don't have from any of our centers. I think we could use him in case of injury or playing against a bigger team.
No he can not. He had a broken hand. He had surgery to rapair it. The surgery did not work. His hand is completely useless for anything basketball related. He can't even hold a clipboard without experiencing pain.

[Edited by - nwny on 08/16/2002 21:45:53]
nwny
8/16/2002  9:50 PM
Posted by Vmart:

I think Oakley and Ewing bleed orange and blue and any other uniform makes them weaker.
They are not a superheros that need their special suits to play well. If if you think they are, well.......you need medication.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
8/17/2002  7:51 PM
Posted by nwny:
Posted by Knixkik:

Ewing is old but can score, rebound, block shots, and play in the post and thats something we don't have from any of our centers. I think we could use him in case of injury or playing against a bigger team.
No he can not. He had a broken hand. He had surgery to rapair it. The surgery did not work. His hand is completely useless for anything basketball related. He can't even hold a clipboard without experiencing pain.

[Edited by - nwny on 08/16/2002 21:45:53]

I don't know about that! Where is the article that says his hands is permantly finish.. Show it to us knicks fans.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
8/18/2002  6:11 AM
I haven't seen any proof of this "permanantly damaged hand," and I say let's take a chance on Big Pat. C'mon, we had Felton Spencer starting 8 games last season. If Ewing can breathe, he will be more effective than Spencer, so let's make him an offer.

Even if Ewing comes back and doesn't contribute at all, it won't matter because he'd only count for something like $620,000 against the Knick salary cap. Something in the CBA rules states that the league has to pay over a third of the cash given to a player who signs for the veteran minimum.

There's nothing to lose, so let's bring the big guy back!
We suck.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/18/2002  10:43 AM
Posted by nwny:
Posted by Vmart:

I think Oakley and Ewing bleed orange and blue and any other uniform makes them weaker.
They are not a superheros that need their special suits to play well. If if you think they are, well.......you need medication.

I'm not trying to make them out to be super heroes they are far from that. I do belive that there is a comfort level for players to play with a certain team. The first thing a player needs to know is if they belong on the team. I don't think Ewing ever felt that he was part of the Sonics or Orlando. That can be the difference for a player to perform well or not. Everyone on this board knows that Ewing is one of the all time greats that ever put on a Knick uniform. He knows that he belongs here and that could be the difference that helps him perform better, it may motivate him. I don't think he is going to give the Knicks 22 and 12 but I do think that he will give the Knicks 10 and 7 which I think will be a great contribution to this centerless team.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/18/2002  4:02 PM

[/quote]

I'm not trying to make them out to be super heroes they are far from that. I do belive that there is a comfort level for players to play with a certain team. The first thing a player needs to know is if they belong on the team. I don't think Ewing ever felt that he was part of the Sonics or Orlando. That can be the difference for a player to perform well or not. Everyone on this board knows that Ewing is one of the all time greats that ever put on a Knick uniform. He knows that he belongs here and that could be the difference that helps him perform better, it may motivate him. I don't think he is going to give the Knicks 22 and 12 but I do think that he will give the Knicks 10 and 7 which I think will be a great contribution to this centerless team.
[/quote]

I agree, I think it is worth a one year contract to see what Ewing can add to this team. At the worst, he retires a Knick - and at best he contributes and we actually go somewhere. HE never belonged in any other uniform.

[Edited by - Oasisbu on 08/18/2002 16:03:31]
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
nwny
8/18/2002  10:04 PM
Other than sentimental reasons do you really see Ewing contributing more thank Doleac or Thomas in the pivot? Seriously. He gave Orlando 6 and 4 last year. Then he broke his hand again. The cast just come off and Ewing can’t even shake hands without feeling pain yet. (it was in the article about Dyse coming to the Knicks practice facility the same day Ewing was working out.) This is a bad sign. Think about it, He's 7’1’ 260-280 and is dirt cheap, but no one is willing to sign him. The Knicks need to stop outbidding themselves for free agents. If he wants to retire a Knick, we can sign him to 10 day deal in January.
Sign Ewing?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy