djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/10/2006  11:50 AM
Tim Thomas enjoys fun in the sun
Former Bull claims he isn't bitter, but you can't tell from what he says
Sam Smith

March 9, 2006

PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns, cruising along with the NBA's fourth-best record, were in trouble Thursday night.

Star point guard Steve Nash was out, and his primary backup, Leandro Barbosa, left for the hospital with a groin injury before the game against the defending champion San Antonio Spurs. Kurt Thomas remained out with a stress fracture and, of course, Amare Stoudemire has yet to return from preseason knee surgery.

So the Suns turned to Tim Thomas.

"He's the biggest guy on our team," Suns coach Mike D'Antoni said. "He's our center. He's a guy, 6 feet 10 inches and 250 pounds, who can spread the floor. With the way we play, we can get a mismatch every time. He's a good offensive player. He can hit threes. We're a team that needs what he gives us."

Yes, that Tim Thomas.

"I'm just happy about the way things turned out. It panned out the best for me," said Thomas, whom the Bulls dismissed for the season in November after playing just three games. "You go from a team that's talking about just getting to the playoffs to a team that is talking about winning the whole thing. And I'm starting. There's no comparison."

One of the most mystifying stories in the NBA this season has been the odyssey of Thomas, an established veteran who came to the Bulls in the Eddy Curry trade and after a brief audition was sent home for the season while the Bulls paid his $14 million salary. Thomas finally was released March 1 and signed with the Suns, where he is matching his eight-year career numbers—averaging 12.3 points and 4.3 rebounds in 26 minutes per game.

Would he have made a difference for the Bulls, who use Luol Deng and Andres Nocioni at his forward position? Though the team has been circumspect about Thomas, there long has been a feeling Thomas didn't exhibit the work ethic to blend with the young Bulls.

Even D'Antoni, in saying the Suns checked out Thomas and heard only positives about his character, admitted there were questions about his practice habits.

"Practice is practice," D'Antoni said. "Maybe we won't get [his best], but we don't have any practices [because of injuries and so many games] in March. We're not worried."

Thomas mostly kept quiet while he sat home with his family waiting for his release.

"I was bitter," Thomas said. "The simple fact is [I believe] inside they knew I was better than Deng and Nocioni. Not taking anything away from those guys, [the Bulls] are a team on the rise. But to have a veteran guy come in and put him on the back burner like they did, you can read between the lines. Guys see that. It could be a tough situation for them if they want to get players in there."

Certainly the Bulls have a different opinion, and veterans like Adrian Griffin and Antonio Davis last season, Othella Harrington and Darius Songaila, have been positive about their time with the team. So it seems there always will remain a mystery about Thomas and the Bulls, especially the way the Bulls have gone through 10-day contract players all season and has been desperate for some size.

"There really is no explanation for what happened," Thomas said matter-of-factly about the Bulls and his lost season. "My understanding was they wanted to stick with their young core. The first excuse I got was I was out of shape. The second excuse was I was going to have a hard time playing for [coach Scott Skiles]. Then the season starts and I don't play. We go to New Jersey (his home) and I play [eight] minutes.

"Then my wife is sideswiped by a cab in New York and I go home to check out the family, which is the most important thing. The next thing I know, I get a call and am told to stay home or come back if I want. You have to read through the lines on that one.

"So many different things happen in life, but I know I'm still a good player. I know I can still play in this league, and when I was about to get released, all the good teams called, the Suns, Spurs, Pistons, Nets. So that told me something.

"It's unfortunate because from watching [the Bulls] and seeing what was going on I know they could have used me. They're a young team and I knew going in I was going to have to play [power forward or center]. I didn't have a problem with that. I'm playing center here.

"I heard all the stories about Skiles and his ego and this and that, but at this level you never know how your body is going to hold up, how many years you're going to be able to produce. I just wanted to play basketball. But they didn't want me. So I just have to move forward."

Thomas is a free agent, and he says he feared at first he might be blackballed. But he said his agent got positive reports and interest, which helped him relax.

"There are things in this life you know and understand," Thomas said, "and things you don't."
AUTOADVERT
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
3/10/2006  11:56 AM
yeah yeah. same old same old. Gutless Wonderboy will revert within 10 games even on the Suns with Nash.

Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
3/10/2006  12:02 PM
This should be interesting, now that he's playing with Nash, we can see how good nash really is and his ability to make others better
Bippity10
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #574
3/10/2006  12:24 PM
I don't think TT realizes that he is auditioning
I just hope that people will like me
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
3/10/2006  12:28 PM
Thomas certainly has the talent to easily be better than those guys, but its the same old story.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
3/10/2006  12:59 PM
I can't wait to see how shocked Tim Thomas is when no one gives him a max contract this year.
¿ △ ?
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
3/10/2006  1:06 PM
Fugazy strikes again. Hey, he's the Suns' problem now.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/10/2006  1:41 PM
NO problem. Hes in the rest of the season and then gets a small deal. Suns are just keeping him the rest of this year.

He should be just a one year contract player.

Nash is an alchemist.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/10/2006  3:13 PM
Isiah is definitely signing Fugazi to a max MLE contract this summer.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
3/10/2006  3:44 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Isiah is definitely signing Fugazi to a max MLE contract this summer.

it would be a better signing than the Jerome James deal
rojasmas
Member: #639
3/11/2006  12:03 PM
I said it before, like TT or not, Skiles had a jones for him regarding something. He can't play on the Bulls but the Suns are starting him? Come on. Skiles probably resented that he is a career underachiever when in Skiles's own career he had to sweat out every ounce of ability to even stick in the league. So Skiles begrudged his money and was going to be damned if TT used him to get another payday in a contract year. My take.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/11/2006  12:12 PM
Posted by rojasmas:

I said it before, like TT or not, Skiles had a jones for him regarding something. He can't play on the Bulls but the Suns are starting him? Come on. Skiles probably resented that he is a career underachiever when in Skiles's own career he had to sweat out every ounce of ability to even stick in the league. So Skiles begrudged his money and was going to be damned if TT used him to get another payday in a contract year. My take.

I don't know the role of Skiles' personal grudges in this - interesting take on it. But I would say that Timmy's managed to create so much bad blood everywhere he's been that I could easily see him having been an a-hole in Chicago and eaerned his own dismissal without the addition of Skile's grudge.
rojasmas
3/11/2006  10:01 PM
Marv, I doubt that because it was a contract year for TT. He knew what that meant. So did Skiles.
rojasmas
3/12/2006  12:42 AM
TT did alright again tonight. I don't know about being an a-hole either. Philly, that wasn't the problem. Milwaukee, he outlasted Big Dog, Ray Allen and Sam Cassell. Also Coach Karl. In NY I guess you think he underperformed. Fair enough. Chicago, who knows.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2006031121
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/12/2006  1:03 PM
a miracle?
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
OT - tim thomas "i'm better than deng and nocioni"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy