Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/9/2006  1:26 PM
- how are you coach?
i'm dying but otherwise i'm alright.

- what happened this year?
you got to look at me first. i've had a hard time convincing people to play a certain way. they made some changes. jerome + sweets + tim + q + steph was the plan and that team may have won some games but in the long run it wasn't in the best interest. so they made some changes and they just haven't worked out right now. most of the year they were unsettled on who to play. you have a coach that believes to play a certain way and it's tough to get everyone to buy into that. but they do have some young players that are getting better and they have some good assets now. they should've been playing hard since day 1, not just the past few games.

- why hasn't it worked out? mismatch of talent + coach? not on same page?
i've been everywhere and inherited players. isiah already picked the team before he got here. he wasn't opposed to getting eddy curry but he would've done it again. he would take eddy over anybody in the draft, even if the pick is #1 or #2. he had the heart problem but believes he will get better. zeke built the team the way he wanted, but it was different from how he would've built it. there was nothing he could do about the players that he had in place so it's his responsibility to make it work. but if zeke doesn't listen to lb and get his kind of players this summer, it may be a problem but he doesn't see that happening. they talk all the time and he knows what lb wants. but lb has been trying to get these guys getting better. sometimes he proud of how they played, sometimes he's confused but that's on me.

- jalen? francis? how do you like those moves?
there are other things i thought we need to explore but just didn't turn out. there were a number of guys out there that we could've gotten and isiah really tried but they may have had to give a little too much so they decided to wait till the summertime b/c they do have alot of assets. about jalen - getting a first round pick and a SF that can pass the ball, and combine that with antonio not wanting to be here, the young kids needed somebody that could pass the ball and spread the floor so that's a good thing. he's helped them and we got an early draft pick. he has an expiring contract so if things don't work out that will be valuable. in terms of stevie, we gave up penny + trevor. he thinks stevie is a gym rat and wants to get better. they didn't have depth in the backcourt so he will make it better. they may not have been his first choice or isiah's but in the long run, it will help us out.

- jalen + francis + marbury, ideal mix?
sas knows lb better than most and know the kind of players i like. there was a honest effort to try to get those players but there were some things they couldn't do. i'm not looking back, i'm looking ahead. jalen is getting better and stevie is a good kid. he doesn't see a problem fitting with jamal + steph. he coaches a team with guys that defend and share the ball. we don't have that here but he has to make that happen. that's his job. it's not happening as quickly as he liked and he's embarrased so there's nobody to blame but me. he never had to beg guys to play hard and how to guard. and in alot of cases he had to coach effort and that's frustrating. he's had guys that feel like they had to play a certain way for themselves and that's frustrating. but things are starting to change. he's comfortable with that and that he, isiah, and mills know what needs to be done.

- catch 22? malik involved in good play but when it reaches it's potential, malik's not going to be around? why is lee not getting playing time?
malik IS going to be around. david lee is not a PF in the future. i want him to be a SF. i don't get caught up with him not playing right now. it's like a college practice and he's getting better. he's trying to teach him how to handle the ball and play the perimeter. he's looking at it like a pitcher called up to the majors too soon. 9 guys that can play - 3 guards bringing the ball up, and one that can play both spots. 2 sf - athletic, ball on the floor, guard perimeter and post, 4 big guys that can guard the post, a center that rebounder, block shot, defender, 2 vets - to help out and be good lockerroom guys. that's the team he's trying to build.

- ever want to leave?
no. when i took the job all he asked isiah was to listen to him. he thinks he's done that. he knows some of these guys can play and some don't. i'm embarrased about the way we play and can't see fans rallying around us. at times we don't share the ball, don't play hard and that's my responsibility.

- how much responsibility does it lie on steph?
when you lose like we do, you can point fingers everywhere. at times he's played as good as he could possibly play. since the injury, he's had some real setbacks. he also thinks steph isn't completely convinced that the way i coach is not his best interest. and that's hard for me. i know steph wants to win and they talk. before he got hurt, he was as proud of him as anybody he's ever coached. the last few games, stats aren't great but he's proud of the way he's played. i'm going to be relentless and the things he's believed in is not rocket science. play hard, play together, try together, and try unselfishly. it's hard being the best player and the team is playing bad but it's not on him, it's on all of us.

- back to the roster? that center about block shots and rebounds is not eddy curry?
i think eddy's getting better. i work with him everyday. is he reboudning and controlling the paint and block shots like i want? no. in detroit, they had 3 guys that were like our center. say they get a big forward or a long 3 man that can do that, then maybe you can look at him in a different light. he's 22 and unbelievable athleticism. you have to guard him and it's my job to make him understand his priorities.

- is he tough enough?
how many 22 year olds at center have come into the league to dominate? if the draft is in june, and eddy is coming out as a 22 year old, he goes first. we got to surround him with people that will help him and i have to coach him better.

- when the buck stops with lb, why do you feel that way? sometimes the players seem demoralized and lack inner toughness. do you have to lay off of them?
steve, i coach execution. you're not supposed to coach effort. he sees guys put their heads down when things go bad. but some people get used to losing and don't know how to fight back. we've fought back the past few games. and you want to surround yourself with people that won't let that happen. as a coach you have to teach them to live in the present and that doesn't happen overnight.

- how's your health?
i'm fine. only thing that makes me sick is the way we play. i'm going to make us do better, i can promise you that.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 03-09-2006 1:28 PM]
AUTOADVERT
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
3/9/2006  2:07 PM
Well let's see --- out of those 9 players, we have like a 1/3 of a player, maybe a half.

Good luck finding the other 8 1/2...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/9/2006  5:43 PM
It would be much easier to fire Larry and hire Paul Westhead. ;)
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/9/2006  6:34 PM
Eny (and anyone else) - how do you think Isiah should have dealt with Larry this year? Granted we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but do you think Isiah's been pissed off at him? What do you think he could/should have done as, on paper at least, Larry's boss?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/9/2006  7:23 PM
whoa, nice summary. Thanks.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/9/2006  8:20 PM
I for one don't think there is a "rift" between the two.

Larry is the man and he came late in the process. It was a throw away year anyway. Not this bad, and I think larry is pretty honest about things.

They will tweak it and get it better.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/9/2006  10:14 PM
Posted by martin:

whoa, nice summary. Thanks.
Yes, I agree! You are man djsunyc, thank you.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/10/2006  12:20 AM
Posted by Marv:

Eny (and anyone else) - how do you think Isiah should have dealt with Larry this year? Granted we don't know what goes on behind closed doors, but do you think Isiah's been pissed off at him? What do you think he could/should have done as, on paper at least, Larry's boss?

[IMG_block] http://patentpending.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/quitcomplainingaboutyourjob11_3.JPG [/IMG_block]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
edsonline
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #735
3/10/2006  12:50 AM
Great recap. thanks for posting it.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/10/2006  7:46 AM
Posted by Marv:

There's really nothing Isiah could have done about all the unfortunate DNP-CDs for David Lee, Nate Robinson, and Jackie Butler. Larry doesn't have to listen to his advice and Isiah would be killed by the media if he fired, or even criticized, Brown. Isiah's basically powerless in the playing time decisions.

Bippity10
Member: #574
3/10/2006  8:37 AM
I don't think there is a rift between the two. I think it's strictly media created. I think you will see Isiah go out and grab the players LB wants during the offseason. the media will still paint it as a rift though. But that's what GM's are supposed to do. Get players the coach wants. I don't understand why this is even an issue that is written about. That's his job.

As for the DNP's for the young guys. Get over it. You will see our young guys develop faster than most teams young guys. Why? because LB will make them earn their time. Our young guys will not end up like the Jamal's and the Eddie's of the world where 5, 6 7 years into their careers they are still learning what a good shot is, when to pass the ball and how to play hard. They are being coached like every young guy was coached before the influx of underage players into the league. Work hard in practice and when you are ready to play and have truly BEATEN OUT a veteran, then you get time. Not before. Our young guys will learn to play the right way and mark my words, 2-3 years from now you will be ecstatic about how they were handled. We will have no Kwame Brown's on this team.
I just hope that people will like me
Ira
Member: #91
3/10/2006  9:01 AM
Thanks for the recap. This has taken longer than any of us hoped, but it will work.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

3/10/2006  11:03 AM
lee a sf???????????? i dont see it this guy is drunk
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/10/2006  11:08 AM
Posted by Elite:

lee a sf???????????? i dont see it this guy is drunk

I see it and I like it!!

Guy can shoot and knows when to and not to!

Great rebounding 3!

Good passer and decision-maker.

Gets out and runs.

He copped 23 points and 15 rebounds in his first start at the 3.

Of course in Larry World, that means he's soon to become a DNP-CD.
lb recap on SAS

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy