[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anyone See Bernard King interviewed by SAS on ESPN2?
Author Thread
PresIke
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #33
USA
3/8/2006  5:35 PM
I saw him interviewed on SAS' talk show on ESPN2 'Quite Frankly' yesterday when I was out in Arizona. What a great person Bernard comes across as, and reminds us again what it could have been like had he played with Ewing.

King said that his worst moment ever was when he was in the laying with pins in his knee in the hospital and watched the Knicks draft Ewing because he felt that there went his championship ring.

SAS questioned if the Knicks would have been able to beat the Celtics or Pistons. Bernard said that if he had been healthy and the Knicks added Ewing at center that he feels they would have been able to beat them because they took the eventual champion, Celtics, to 7 games and he feels like if they had Ewing they could have won one game at the Boston Garden (which they didn't in that series...remember how we used to NEVER win there until that famous 1990 playoff series which we came back down 2-0 and in game 5 Bird missed a dunk late in the game leading to us winning game 5 at the Boston Garden?!).

SAS then went on to complain to Bernard about how the Knicks didn't even try to trade him, and instead, released him. King said that he met with Al Bianci and Rick Patino (Who he said he had a good relationship with) in the off-season and they said that the team was taking a new direction (a running style) and felt he might not fit. In the interview with SAS, Bernard said any smart player can adjust and learn how to fit into any system. He said he had to adapt his game when he made the comeback with the Bullets, and used that as an example.

When asked by Smith what Bernard wanted his legacy to be he said that he wanted to be known as someone who worked 5 hard years to come back to the NBA and show that he could still play.

[Edited by - PresIke on 03-08-2006 5:36 PM]

[Edited by - PresIke on 03-08-2006 5:37 PM]

[Edited by - PresIke on 03-08-2006 5:37 PM]
Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
AUTOADVERT
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/8/2006  5:53 PM
At least Bernard feels the same way i feel.....

Bernard was a bad mofo.....Bernard, Oakley, Ewing, Jax and Gerald? Wow man that would have been nice. I think about it everyday.

I'm gonna go cry like a bitch now.

[IMG_block] http://www.nba.com/media/knicks/history_king_crown.jpg [/IMG_block]

[Edited by - enyspree on 03-08-2006 5:57 PM]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
BajanKnickFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #936
USA
3/8/2006  6:15 PM
I think the knicks should retire his jersey.
bernard
Member: #475
3/8/2006  6:22 PM
Bernard is the man! Thing of beauty how he made the nets dance with his perfect swish on that little baseline turnaround.

I remember that Celts series when, basically by himself, Bernard took them to 7 -- and that was the Celts at their peak. I've never hated a team like I hated that one, but they were good. Remember Bird trashing Bernard afterwards saying he worked too hard? Wish we had more of that nowadays.

Of course they would have won a championship w/ Ewing there too. Hope Bernard makes the HOF. And I'd love to see him working for the Knicks again somehow.
OldFan
Member: #446
3/8/2006  7:23 PM
Bernard was the man. I went to one of those games in the Boston Garden - way up in the rafters. Really don't even remember which one now - but BK was great that year and series.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/8/2006  7:41 PM
Did you guys watch the Bernie and Ernie show at Tennessee?
EnySpree

3/8/2006  9:02 PM
Posted by Marv:

Grunfeld was a weird looking player body wise but he was decent....he made it work.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
3/8/2006  9:46 PM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by Marv:

Grunfeld was a weird looking player body wise but he was decent....he made it work.

I go to school with Dan Grunfeld, Ernie's son. he's on the basketball team and he's pretty good, his face looks just like ernie's.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/8/2006  10:32 PM
For me, Bernard was one of the best knick players I have ever seen, I liked him over Ewing, there was something about what he did vs Boston and the pistons and those 50 point games on the road out west, that made him special in my eyes...

Long live the King!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rich
Member: #511
USA
3/8/2006  10:36 PM
BK has overcome a number of personal problems. He deserves credit for that.
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/8/2006  11:03 PM
yeah, 2 dislocated fingers, 50 points, no problem!!

That fade from the left baseline was unstoppable.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/8/2006  11:16 PM
If bernard not hurt knicks not lotto team and no Ewing.

bianchi was an *******.
Rich
Member: #511
USA
3/8/2006  11:38 PM
Bianchi was light years better than Scotty Sterling, but that's not saying much.
tkf
3/9/2006  10:30 AM
Posted by Nalod:

If bernard not hurt knicks not lotto team and no Ewing.

bianchi was an *******.

I could of lived with a healthy Bernard and No Ewing, Bernard was as clutch as it gets, a bonafide scorer, had to be double teamed every time, I could of lived with Bernard and Cartwright, we just needed another player, we tried Truck Robinson, who was a bust, that was a huge mistake, but maybe we could of got lucky in the draft and added a real player to go with King, that would have been my wish... Don't get me wrong, I loved Patrick, but Bernard put fear in other teams, we haven't had that kind of player since...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
EnySpree

3/9/2006  1:06 PM
I think with what Bernard gave them and the city, the Knicks should have stuck with him.....they didn't need the roster spot really....they should have held on to him....Bernard came back and became an all-star. It's one of those what if things man....they should have just shelved him and went on with basketball as normal.

87-91 were the years(4)Bernard was with the Bullets playing at a high level. There was only one year of rehab for Bernard. He came back with 17pts per in his first year in Wash. Then he put up 20, 22, and 28!!!!. Son of a bitch. During those years Ewing was putting up the same numbers offensively....they could have fed off each other beautifully....That was the championship years right there.....

Yet again the Knicks ****ed up.

[Edited by - enyspree on 03-09-2006 1:06 PM]
Marv
3/9/2006  2:22 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

I think with what Bernard gave them and the city, the Knicks should have stuck with him.....they didn't need the roster spot really....they should have held on to him....Bernard came back and became an all-star. It's one of those what if things man....they should have just shelved him and went on with basketball as normal.

87-91 were the years(4)Bernard was with the Bullets playing at a high level. There was only one year of rehab for Bernard. He came back with 17pts per in his first year in Wash. Then he put up 20, 22, and 28!!!!. Son of a bitch. During those years Ewing was putting up the same numbers offensively....they could have fed off each other beautifully....That was the championship years right there.....

Rememebr all the bad blood about Bernard not hanging with the team and not coming to games during his rehab? I always thought that was the biggest factor in their letting him go.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
3/9/2006  3:42 PM
Was it Bernard King or Larry Bird (or both) who insisted on not having any testing done until after a contract was signed?
“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
tkf
3/9/2006  7:19 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by EnySpree:

Rememebr all the bad blood about Bernard not hanging with the team and not coming to games during his rehab? I always thought that was the biggest factor in their letting him go.

yea, but that was bullcrap, back then they didn't have the technology they did today, rehab for bernard was pure hell, I saw a special on his rehab, it was grueling, after knee surgery traveling, flying on planes can be rough on a knee like that, I know fish and enyspree had knee ops tell me if I am wrong about this or not..
Marv
3/9/2006  7:23 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by EnySpree:

yea, but that was bullcrap, back then they didn't have the technology they did today, rehab for bernard was pure hell, I saw a special on his rehab, it was grueling, after knee surgery traveling, flying on planes can be rough on a knee like that, I know fish and enyspree had knee ops tell me if I am wrong about this or not..

Remember the videos of him working that knee on the machines?? Geez it was hell just WATCHING him work that thing. He was possessed!
Anyone See Bernard King interviewed by SAS on ESPN2?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy