[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Who to draft and why ...
Author Thread
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/8/2006  3:40 PM
Fish- you are very persistant. Regardless of the thread title, you always manage to turn it into a Reggie Evans thread. LOL

"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
3/8/2006  3:41 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by martin:

^ I don't get this.... Does ALT have a trade exception to offere the Knicks in exchange for MoT?

under the cap teams can take back more salary... now why'd they want mo T when they could draft whoever is beyond me.
losing teams like Atl and Chi have had a very hard time attracting FAs. Also remember that Harrington is essentially gone. They not only need to sign FA's they will need to make NBA minimum payroll. Mo T gives them a big body that can score in the paint, and an addition draft pick as well.

It would look like this:
Knicks trade Mo T and Spurs pick to Hawks for a pair of second rounders in 07/08
Because the Knicks dont take a player back for Mo T we get a $10mm trade exception to use for one year. We could have it for dead line mid season. We could offer the Denver pick to another team in a sign trade scenario. We could trade the exception for a player making any amount less than Mo T. We could trade the trade exception for a future draft pick, or the rights to a player drafted.
Its a nice thing to have. The Nets got one when they traded Kittles to the Clippers for a draft pick. I think they used it on Mark Jackson rather than let it expire.

This is a solid deal for Atl and makes a ton of sense for the Knicks.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/8/2006  4:31 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by martin:

^ I don't get this.... Does ALT have a trade exception to offere the Knicks in exchange for MoT?

under the cap teams can take back more salary... now why'd they want mo T when they could draft whoever is beyond me.
losing teams like Atl and Chi have had a very hard time attracting FAs. Also remember that Harrington is essentially gone. They not only need to sign FA's they will need to make NBA minimum payroll. Mo T gives them a big body that can score in the paint, and an addition draft pick as well.

It would look like this:
Knicks trade Mo T and Spurs pick to Hawks for a pair of second rounders in 07/08
Because the Knicks dont take a player back for Mo T we get a $10mm trade exception to use for one year. We could have it for dead line mid season. We could offer the Denver pick to another team in a sign trade scenario. We could trade the exception for a player making any amount less than Mo T. We could trade the trade exception for a future draft pick, or the rights to a player drafted.
Its a nice thing to have. The Nets got one when they traded Kittles to the Clippers for a draft pick. I think they used it on Mark Jackson rather than let it expire.

This is a solid deal for Atl and makes a ton of sense for the Knicks.

LOl, you think the Hawks are taking Mo taylor for a pick? Have you seen Atlanta play? No one comes to their games--they arent committing 20%+ of their payroll to Mo Taylor under any circumstance and the Knicks wont do this either. Mo taylor is an ending contract. And Reggie Evans is nothing more than Malik Rose!
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
3/8/2006  4:37 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by crzymdups:

Shelden Williams is great, and he's at least 4 inches taller than Malik Rose with a HUGE wing span. He's tough as hell. Of course, Larry wouldn't play him, so I don't know what the point would be?

I respect your posting man, but this is wrong. Play hard, play smart and you will get minutes. The rooks often play hard but because of lack of experience they don't always play smart, but that doesn't disclude a smart, hard-playing rook from getting minutes.

I was half kidding. But Larry has said he doesn't want more rookies with the picks and that they should be used in trades. I would kill for a Josh Boone or Shelden Williams on this team, but I honestly don't think Larry would be inclined to give him the kind of minutes he'd need to be a difference maker.

Still, I'd like to add one of those guys and hope against hope he would be the first rook to get consistent minutes from Brown.
¿ △ ?
fishmike
USA
3/8/2006  4:42 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
LOl, you think the Hawks are taking Mo taylor for a pick? Have you seen Atlanta play? No one comes to their games--they arent committing 20%+ of their payroll to Mo Taylor under any circumstance and the Knicks wont do this either. Mo taylor is an ending contract. And Reggie Evans is nothing more than Malik Rose!
Briggs... I thought you watched a lot of NBA ball. Tune in watch Reggie Evans play. Role player, we are talking about role player. He got Sea about 8 boards in 20 minutes last year en route to 50 wins. He's not smallish as you seem to think either.

As for the Hawks I said we GIVE them a pick, not take one back. I said Mo T AND the Spurs pick for 2nd rounders. Their payroll is like $20mm next year.

Read again.. glad I made ya laught though

VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/8/2006  4:43 PM
If you want Reggie Evans, you should seriously consider this guy instead.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=15625
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/8/2006  4:54 PM
Posted by VDesai:

I siad it before Paul Millsap is a better version of Reggie Evans. Watch him play 1 time and its easy to tell. hes got more hops longer arms he can score etc... forget about what mock draft tells you what Paul Millsap is FIRMLY in round 1. He will never get past the Nets pick at a minimum.
I dont think we need him since we have something somewhat similar signed for 2more years. I mean they can look at him
RIP Crushalot😞
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/8/2006  4:58 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by VDesai:

I siad it before Paul Millsap is a better version of Reggie Evans. Watch him play 1 time and its easy to tell. hes got more hops longer arms he can score etc... forget about what mock draft tells you what Paul Millsap is FIRMLY in round 1. He will never get past the Nets pick at a minimum.
I dont think we need him since we have something somewhat similar signed for 2more years. I mean they can look at him

He is an absolutely unbelievable rebounder. He's going to lead the nation in rebounding for the 3rd straight year. He's not that bad defensively either...he blocks some shots with the nice hops/long arms you mentioned. Rose is playing well now, but considering he played like crap for most of the year, and it seems like we need a guy like him in the rotation to be successful (i.e. to box out for Curry, get boards, play D), I'd consider Milsap.

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/8/2006  6:12 PM
http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/ea/ea_frye_c.asx

Forgot we drafted this guy?

Sheldon is a nice player but drafting him would mean the Knicks should have traded Frye before the deadline. Sheldon has yet to play in the NBA so we have no idea how he is gonna be.....Frank Williams looked like a deer in the headlights so we gotta wait and see.

[Edited by - enyspree on 03-08-2006 6:12 PM]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/8/2006  7:08 PM
I still don't believe in this dream of paying a team 3 million for their first round pick. Does anyone know offhand how many times this has happened? I can't imagine too many teams jumping to give the Knicks draft picks and make them better...

Anyways, if Hilton Armstrong is available then I'd be all over him in a second, doesn't look that way right now as he is moving up the draftboards at a considerable rate. I see a Frye-like jump for him by the time the draft comes around, it's too bad too, he's exactly what the Knicks need a extremely athletic 6'11 shotblocker/rebounder who can jump out of the roof to play with Frye and Curry.
I'm not as high on Sheldan Williams as everyone else is on this board, I actually think he's quite overated but if he were to be available at the picks the Knicks have, I think that would be fine to draft him. He's a tough defender which I like but I don't see any offensive game with this guy in the NBA. At 6'9 I just can't see him working his up and unders against opposing NBA PF's with much success. His jumpshot leaves alot to be desired as well. I just wouldn't trust the guy offensively and to me that doesn't warrant a Top7-9 pick, he will be a solid defensive player in the NBA though. I'm in the minority on that I know, but oh well. I know alot of people like to compare him to Tony Davis but thats alot to live up too and alot might say, well Carlos Boozer turned out fine, but Shelden Williams doesn't have the mobility and the quickness that Boozer possesses. Just my opinion though.

Realistically for the Knicks? I'd take Josh Boone if he's available, which he's likely to be where the Knicks are picking. He's a great defender who doesn't need touches on the offensive end to be happy on the court, he just plays hardnosed defense all game while pulling down a ton of rebounds and blocking shots. Offensively he's not the most gifted player, not as polished as Okefor was when he came out(who wasn't even that polished himself), he might have a worse jumpshot then Okefor did but he will get offensive rebounds and convert points that way. I think Aguirre would be able to work with him becuase he's extremely coachable as well.

Other need? The Knicks are most likely going to run the Marbury/Francis/Crawford/Richardson backcourt alot next year, unless something crazy happens with Garnett or any other main player but as of now I see it that way. I don't think the Knicks are going to be looking too hard for a 2/3 with the current roster, but if they do I still love Mike Gansey. The guy is tough as nails and does everything on the court. He can shoot the 3, he can drive, he plays defense, he'll get you some rebounds, he's just a solid all around player and would thrive under Larry Brown becuase of his fundamentals and effort. Another guy I'd look hard at is Richard Roby, like many others have said already. He would clash with the rest of guards if the roster remains intact though. The one thing that seperates him from them is that he's a very good shooter. He can create his own shot for himself and will drain any open jumper, reminds me of Francisco Garcia offensively.

With all that said, I think Josh Boone and Mike Gansey are the most realistic choices for the Knicks at this point with the picks they have and I'm not into dreaming that the Knicks will be able to buy a teams first round draft pick for 3million dollars. I just can't remember it happening at anytime recently and I don't think teams are running to make the Knicks better.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 03-08-2006 7:11 PM]
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
McK1
Member: #964
3/8/2006  7:22 PM
Jersey sold their pick to Portland in the 04 draft
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
JohnWallace44
Member: #910
USA
3/8/2006  9:00 PM
I'd bet money that we'll package both picks and Rose or Mo for a stud player.

Picks and Mo for Al Harrington would work, or Artest if he implodes again.
Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
fishmike
USA
3/9/2006  11:05 AM
Reggie Evans was just as good a CBB player as Milsap. I'm also pretty sure RE led the nation in rebounding at least once as well.

The thing is I KNOW RE can play right now. I know he can defend. I know he's a tough NBA player and I know we attack and clean the glass, getting that ball moving quickly the other way while Francis and Marbury release.

I dont even know if Larry plays Milsap. Probably not.
fishmike
USA
3/9/2006  11:08 AM
It bugs me how many guys we have. Because Mo and Jalen will be pieces this offseason as they are expiring deals. Problem is LAST thing we need is more guys. I mean Malik's had like 3 double doubles last 3 games, but he's had a bunch of DNPs this year. Nate was a starter now he's inactive. Part of the problem with the rotations is the sheer number of guys Larry needs to get in the game.
McK1
Member: #964
3/9/2006  12:19 PM
keep the picks. As much as I love Al, he is not putting this team over the top. In the end it'll be like the other 2 trades where picks were involved: catupulting some other teams ascension.

as for the having too many guys argument, rookies don't need to play. if they are attentive they will learn. straighten out the end of the roster. develop guys into the system through practice. 2-3 years down the line they step in.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

3/9/2006  1:14 PM
Posted by fishmike:

It bugs me how many guys we have. Because Mo and Jalen will be pieces this offseason as they are expiring deals. Problem is LAST thing we need is more guys. I mean Malik's had like 3 double doubles last 3 games, but he's had a bunch of DNPs this year. Nate was a starter now he's inactive. Part of the problem with the rotations is the sheer number of guys Larry needs to get in the game.

Yeah man I'd like to see the Knicks clean up the roster....Waive guys and then try to do 2 for ones and try to free up some space. The roster is too cluttered.

Yet again this is all Brown cuz the geezer should just stick to a line-up and make subtle changes according to what's going on on the court......He seems to finally be doing that now that the season is in the ****ter......but he can flip and change his mine again. Bastard.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Who to draft and why ...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy