[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

who remembers when...
Author Thread
JesseDark
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #467
3/7/2006  4:58 AM
Knick games were broadcast on WOR channel 9? The comentators were Cal Ramsey and I think, Bob Raismen. I know Bob Raismen went on to Cablevision News 12 on Long Island and Cal Ramsey still attends every Knick game. Thosse were the days of Clyde, Reed, and Bradley.

Just thought I'd add another retro thread since that seems to be the theme of the moment.
Bring back dee-fense
AUTOADVERT
OldFan
Member: #446
3/7/2006  6:00 AM
I do. Back then the Knicks where the only winning team I rooted for. Giants and Yanks were terrible so basketball and the Knicks were it. Cylde with his Rolls and Full Length fur... Remember Dick Barnett and that weird way he kicked up his legs on his jumper?

GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/7/2006  8:13 AM
I remember Jim Karvellas....with Ramsey. Karvellas also did NY COSMOS games on WOR back then.
TheSage
Member: #386
3/7/2006  8:28 AM
why not go back further when Richie Guerin was the only knick star or back to the Middle Ages when I was very very young and every knick was a star to me from Sweetwater Clifton to Carl Braun, Jim Bechthold, "Tricky" Dick McGuire, Harry "the Horse" Gallatin, Ray Felix (who I later met-but that's another story), then Willie Naulls and Kenny Sears. But alas, the Celtics had Russell, Cousy and Sharman and west of the river-the Stilt roamed (who I also met-another story).

[Edited by - TheSage on 03-07-2006 08:29 AM]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/7/2006  8:37 AM
Posted by TheSage:

why not go back further when Richie Guerin was the only knick star or back to the Middle Ages when I was very very young and every knick was a star to me from Sweetwater Clifton to Carl Braun, Jim Bechthold, "Tricky" Dick McGuire, Harry "the Horse" Gallatin, Ray Felix (who I later met-but that's another story), then Willie Naulls and Kenny Sears. But alas, the Celtics had Russell, Cousy and Sharman and west of the river-the Stilt roamed (who I also met-another story).

Sweet. I grew up on the Russell-KC/Sam Jones-Havlicek-Tom Sanders Celtics in the old Boston Garden, so it was just after the time you're referring to. Used to go there for double-headers. Russell in one game; Wilt in another! For all the greatness I observed, the best play I ever saw run in my life was between Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham. Talk about 2 guys who get overlooked when people discuss the very greatest players to have ever played the game!
TheSage
Member: #386
3/7/2006  8:43 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by TheSage:

Sweet. I grew up on the Russell-KC/Sam Jones-Havlicek-Tom Sanders Celtics in the old Boston Garden, so it was just after the time you're referring to. Used to go there for double-headers. Russell in one game; Wilt in another! For all the greatness I observed, the best play I ever saw run in my life was between Hal Greer and Billy Cunningham. Talk about 2 guys who get overlooked when people discuss the very greatest players to have ever played the game!

and the Philly announcer "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreer"
Marv
3/7/2006  8:49 AM
Posted by TheSage:

and the Philly announcer "Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreer"

Zink!!!

Marv
3/7/2006  8:52 AM
Yeah!

This thread's been hijacked by AARP!!

[IMG_block] http://www.crazyus.com/images/old.men.jpg [/IMG_block]

JesseDark
3/7/2006  8:54 AM
I do. Back then the Knicks where the only winning team I rooted for. Giants and Yanks were terrible so basketball and the Knicks were it. Cylde with his Rolls and Full Length fur... Remember Dick Barnett and that weird way he kicked up his legs on his jumper?

Clyde was definitely the man! He certainly enjoyed/enjoys his place in the city. I remember one time my dad pulling up next to him at a red light and pointing him out to me. That had to be my first time being close to a celebrity.
Clyde also owned a liquor store on 125th st. in Harlem, Walt "Clyde" Frazier Liquors. Can you imagine an athelete doing that today.
Bring back dee-fense
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/7/2006  9:00 AM
Wow, dudes going back even before me!

Wingo-Wingo-Wingo!

Dean Meminger, Henry Bibby, John Gionelli, the subs for the 73 team!

Jerry Lucas bombs!

Debussure picture perfect jump shot....
Bradley's quick release of the screen.....
Clydes defense and smooth jumper......
Earls' herky jerkey spins in the lane.......
Willis and Wes Unselds epic banging......
and Phil Jax lanky and awkward defense and rebounding.......

Great memories and a gone era.

The sum of the parts were greater than the individual talent. Noted as one of the smartest teams ever they came together and created somthing special.

contrast to todays knicks just makes you sick.

Perhaps this is why Marbs selfishness is so offending to me.
LarryBird
Member: #1098

3/7/2006  1:23 PM
I moved to NYC in March '82 and started going to Knicks games in the '82-'83 season and can't remember much about the broadcasters, but do remember Karvellas (sic) the radio guy who was actually pretty good.

Karvellas was the radio play-by-play guy and Marv was the TV guy, but who were the color guys back in the eighties. Ramsey then was on the radio? Who was the TV guy?

I lived in the West Village back then and for several summers I used to follow the West Fourth Street Classic. And Hawthorne Wingo actually was still playing street ball in the early 80s. I remember him being on one of those teams.

And Dean Meminger has had his problems, but his son, who looks just like him, is the Bronx Reporter for the NY1 cable channel.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/7/2006  1:25 PM
i loved karvellas:

"jackson with the ball. dribbles right and down low to ewing. ewing still with the ball kicks back out to newman, newman with the three...in and out. rebound ewing. back out to tucker...tucker for three...that's good."
Nalod
USA
3/7/2006  2:38 PM
Posted by LarryBird:

I moved to NYC in March '82 and started going to Knicks games in the '82-'83 season and can't remember much about the broadcasters, but do remember Karvellas (sic) the radio guy who was actually pretty good.

Karvellas was the radio play-by-play guy and Marv was the TV guy, but who were the color guys back in the eighties. Ramsey then was on the radio? Who was the TV guy?

I lived in the West Village back then and for several summers I used to follow the West Fourth Street Classic. And Hawthorne Wingo actually was still playing street ball in the early 80s. I remember him being on one of those teams.

And Dean Meminger has had his problems, but his son, who looks just like him, is the Bronx Reporter for the NY1 cable channel.

What became of Dean?
Nalod
USA
3/7/2006  2:39 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i loved karvellas:

"jackson with the ball. dribbles right and down low to ewing. ewing still with the ball kicks back out to newman, newman with the three...in and out. rebound ewing. back out to tucker...tucker for three...that's good."

"Ewing kicks it out........."

Fiction!
LarryBird
Member: #1098

3/7/2006  2:44 PM
Posted by Nalod:

What became of Dean?

He is still in New York City and has had a rough go of it post-NBA. He has battled substance-abuse issues for years and I think he has cleaned himself up. There was an article about him somewhere, probably the "New York Times."

JesseDark
3/7/2006  4:18 PM
Out of all the old Knicks the one I hear the least about is John Gianelli. He took over center after Wilis retired. Its tough to follow a legend.

I recall hearing about Jerry Lucas promoting some sort of memory technique. The type where you could recall hundreds of peoples names after being introduced to them.
Bring back dee-fense
Nalod
USA
3/7/2006  5:38 PM
Posted by JesseDark:

Out of all the old Knicks the one I hear the least about is John Gianelli. He took over center after Wilis retired. Its tough to follow a legend.

I recall hearing about Jerry Lucas promoting some sort of memory technique. The type where you could recall hundreds of peoples names after being introduced to them.

Jerry could memorize a phone book!

He would go on talk shows and memorize the audiences names.

OldFan
Member: #446
3/8/2006  7:34 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Wow, dudes going back even before me!

Wingo-Wingo-Wingo!

Dean Meminger, Henry Bibby, John Gionelli, the subs for the 73 team!

Jerry Lucas bombs!

Debussure picture perfect jump shot....
Bradley's quick release of the screen.....
Clydes defense and smooth jumper......
Earls' herky jerkey spins in the lane.......
Willis and Wes Unselds epic banging......
and Phil Jax lanky and awkward defense and rebounding.......

Great memories and a gone era.

The sum of the parts were greater than the individual talent. Noted as one of the smartest teams ever they came together and created somthing special.

contrast to todays knicks just makes you sick.

Perhaps this is why Marbs selfishness is so offending to me.

Good Post. I remember all that stuff. They use to put Jax on the inbound passer at the end of close games - he was awkward as hell but effective. I think Cyde's D was over-rated in general - but you could count on him to get a steal at a key moment in the game. I think I could out jump Bradley but he was great at getting open for the baseline jumper and I would have loved to see Lucas play with the 3 point line. We all tried were trying Earl's spin moves in the playground - that was a fun time.
Marv
3/8/2006  7:38 PM
Earl's spin move = the beginning of carrying in the NBA???
who remembers when...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy