[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

K.Clark signs with Kings!!!
Author Thread
mason
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #311
8/14/2002  4:51 PM
The Kings got bigger and the Knicks got smaller.Please MR.Dolan FIRE LAYDEN,,,,,,,,,
AUTOADVERT
sexualtennis
Member: #297
USA
8/14/2002  5:15 PM
why? it's not like the knicks had any chance of getting him anyways.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/14/2002  5:45 PM
Posted by sexualtennis:

why? it's not like the knicks had any chance of getting him anyways.

Right...Keon always said he wanted to play in a warm weather area. I don't think the Knicks had a chance.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
mason
Member: #311
8/14/2002  6:39 PM
Layden should at least try.Who does'nt like to play in the mega of NY,and have more playing time.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/14/2002  8:49 PM
Because he probably didn't want all the pressure. What would you rather do, get thrown around night-in, night-out on a team that wouldn't contend or backup CWebb for 25 minutes a game in Sacramento with no pressure on a team with a good chance of winning the title.
#Knickstaps
sexualtennis
Member: #297
USA
8/14/2002  11:33 PM
mason, how can u gauge if he tried or not... all we know is from reports and from past examples, the stuff that layden really attempts to accomplish is never published in the paper. in addition, what free agent would not want to play in sacramento's organization... they're honestly on the verge of a championship and with the addition of clark, they might just steal it from the lakers.
nwny
Member: #284
8/14/2002  11:48 PM
Posted by mason:

Who does'nt like to play in the mega of NY.
Ah, everybody? The last impact free agent we signed was Houston, and the Knicks had to put on the full court press to sign him. Face it, why deal with the NY media and the pressure of over 20 seasons without a championship when you can get the same money, better weather, less prssure, and play with more talent somewhere else.
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/15/2002  11:31 AM
Posted by nwny:
Posted by mason:

Who does'nt like to play in the mega of NY.
Ah, everybody? The last impact free agent we signed was Houston, and the Knicks had to put on the full court press to sign him. Face it, why deal with the NY media and the pressure of over 20 seasons without a championship when you can get the same money, better weather, less prssure, and play with more talent somewhere else.

You hit the nail on the head. There isn't a free agent out there that wants to play for the Knicks. I think Knick fans need to realize that most players in the league could careless about who wins the championship as long as the get their checks. Their are only a few players that are true NYK and that are those players that want pressure and thrive on pressure. Like it or not Houston is a true player because he plays in a pressure town. Asides from a few other places the rest of the towns are a vacation resort.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
8/15/2002  12:52 PM
Well, the only places I would call vacation resorts are in the warm weather states. Maybe places you can ski in winter too - but Milwalkee? Detroit? Even Chicago, that place is cold and windy (at least they have a city to hang out in though). I dunno if its really the fact that NY is a pressure town, I think it has more to do with NY management personally. Dolan has no clue what he is doing and Layden has his hands tied. We dont have a good coach either. I think thats about enough reason for Keon to say..."hmm why dont I take a few million and go play for Sac - they have webber, bibby, peja, christy, oh wait - and a REAL BIG MAN at the 5, maybe we can win a championship!" No doubt NY is the mecca of basketball, but who wants to play for a team that isnt going to be in the championship hunt for a few years? Money might have something to do with it, but I think there are a few more reasons on the list.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
nwny
8/15/2002  9:14 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

Well, the only places I would call vacation resorts are in the warm weather states. Maybe places you can ski in winter too - but Milwalkee? Detroit? Even Chicago, that place is cold and windy (at least they have a city to hang out in though). I dunno if its really the fact that NY is a pressure town, I think it has more to do with NY management personally. Dolan has no clue what he is doing and Layden has his hands tied. We dont have a good coach either. I think thats about enough reason for Keon to say..."hmm why dont I take a few million and go play for Sac - they have webber, bibby, peja, christy, oh wait - and a REAL BIG MAN at the 5, maybe we can win a championship!" No doubt NY is the mecca of basketball, but who wants to play for a team that isnt going to be in the championship hunt for a few years? Money might have something to do with it, but I think there are a few more reasons on the list.
More to the point is NY has always had this problem going back to the early 80's. It has nothing to do with Layden/Dolan. It's very hard to convince a free agent come play in NY because of the constant scrutiny the player receives. When you play in #1 TV market there is always pressure to win NOW. That's why very few players ever get better here. They don't get time to develop.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/16/2002  1:09 PM
When was the last time we were under the salary cap? If you can't even get in the game-you cant play. Funny why do guys like Jason Giambi and Roger Clemens Mike Piazza etc....on down the line play in NY? Giambi was going to get nearly 100mm from oakland more than enough to satisfy anyone. Mike Piazza didnt have to resign with he Mets and Roger cedeno took less money this year to play with the Mets. the Rangers never have trouble finding free agents Bobby holik ws going to get big money from plenty of teams but chose the rangers. How could anyone who hs worked or lived in NYC say this town scks to live in or play for? you have to be kidding me guys like mason oakley etc.. were crushed to leave. darn ive been to a ton of different cities in the US but there is jus something special about NYC and I would only put LA Chicago Miami and Orlando as secondary to the big apple. why is patrick working out here? because he loves the city man. new york is unique its just an excuse the real problem is and will be that we signed andersen eisley and weatherspoon to long term contracts that exceed their playing value by miles and driving up AH contract was again just plain bad business there is only one blame the blame lays on ths shoulders of the moves in the last three years. blaming it on anew york is a farce i work in the city and used to live in the city and wouldve never hanged a thing i live in ct now because of my family but my best times in life were in nyc and always will be. Grew up in brooklyn PS 230 on to Poly prep then Fordham.
RIP Crushalot😞
nwny
8/16/2002  10:40 PM
Baseball is whole different animal. The pinstripes mean something. The pinstripes mean decades, and decades of winning. Gamabi, cried at the Yankee press conference when he was telling the story about when he first told his dad that he was a Yankee. That stuff never happens to the Knicks. As for the Mets, the pressure isn’t the same. The Yankees take a lot of pressure off the Mets. You can come to the Mets and have time to develop into a descent player, because the press is focused on the Yankees. Not to say the press hasn’t ‘run out of town’ its share of Mets. (see Booby Bonilla). As for the Rangers……..dude its hockey!!!!! Ha, ha. Wayne freakin' Gretsky played here! Even though it was in the twilight of his career, it’s still Wayne freakin’ Gretsky and he played here with no bad press and almost no pressure. Because its hockey. NO ONE CARES. You think if MJ came to Knicks today it would be the same. Dude, this is what the press conferences would be like: reporter: “Ahh, Michael you’ve been in NY for exactly 6 minutes and the Knicks still don’t have a championship yet, can you explain why?” Ha, ha. BRIGGS why don’t you concentrate on making your post more accurate instead of trying to puts words in my mouth. Read my post again, I never said NY sucks or anything remotely like that. PAY ATTENTION, I wasn’t giving Layden/Dolan a free pass for the bad moves/deals that they’ve made, what I did do was point out the fact that we’ve signed very few big name free agent that have had an impact on the team, and the main reason is, it is very difficult to convince today’s NBA player to come play here. Layden/Dolan has only been here a few years. I know it hard, but try to imagine what life was like before them……..We didn’t get impact free agents then either! WAKE UP. You hatred for these men (although warranted) has made you unable to see clearly.
BRIGGS
8/16/2002  11:39 PM
My answer and i'll say it again is the Knicks aren't players in free agency because of the moves layden has made since he got here. You cant play the free agent game unless you are under the cap. Ny has nothing do to with it. We dont have the salary room to even think about it. All that cap money is tied up in players like travis the hitman Knight and Howard "I'm not giving a penny of these checks back sucka" Eisley. These guys are laughing all the way to the bank at the fans expense. the only thing that will straighten this franchise out is massive no shows mid way through the season. I have seen it before and I believe we will get off slow. If we continue quickly down that path and we sit at 12-28 at the break it will be a ghost town and EVERY newspaper radio station and fan wil be calling for blood and the bottom line is you will ultimately have to listen to the customer. Chaney might be the fall guy 1 but there will be more following his tukiss out. Just remember this 99% of Yankee fans are Knick fans and many of those got stuck without being able to watch their team in their own town because of Dolan. If baseball strikes fans may get a bad taste in their mouth for supplying entertainment$$$$$ to over paid worthless players. plus it loos like both the giants and Jets will be good. there are many factors working against the knics besides their weak roster.
RIP Crushalot😞
nwny
8/17/2002  5:50 PM
I know it’s hard for you to wrap your brain around this concept, but there was a basketball team in NY before the Layden/Dolan era. They were called the NY Knicks, and they were under the salary cap, and they didn’t get “big time” free agents either. Before there was a salary cap, this team called the Knicks, STILL didn’t get “big time” free agents. Pay attention. Someone asked the question why Keon wouldn’t want to come to NY. I listed some reasons. The fact that he signed for the same amount of money we had to offer validates this. The fact that you still can’t name a single impact free agent the Knicks have signed (except Houston), in the entire free agent era, also validates this. Because you can’t dispute my facts you’ve taken the opportunity to climb back on your “the glass is half empty” soapbox.
BRIGGS
8/18/2002  12:36 AM
Just the fact alone that we signed Allan Houston means we would be players in the free agent market. That same year we snagged Childs. We havent been under the cap for the majority of it's exsistence. Clarence Weatherspoon stepped right up when the $$$ were offered. have the Knicks been a team guys have used to up their ante? Sure rashard Lewis is doing it to Dallas right now. But I cant recall to many FA spurning the Knicks when we had a cap opportunity to sign someone. Our roster has been packed for the better part of a dozen years.

the fact remains you buld a good team through the draft free agency and last trades. trades for the most part are usually accomplished when you need to move talent from one position you may be deep in for another position. Some teams have been lucky to pick up guys who were supposed damged goods because of their personalities sprewell webber and that is a place wher you can get a nice trade. And Im not doubting for one second that IF healthy AM isnt a top 25 player. But the fcats are the Knicks just have to many holes to fill and they lack talent in to many areas to go along with youth size and speed. you pick up these attributes in the draft. there is no conclusive evidence that AM makes a team better. he had Lafrentz Van exel and a better all around team in denver and still they were under 500. This was a time to go to the draft. This summer shouldve been a time to look at trades for guys like Stromile Swift and free agents like Michael Redd. With a nice draft of Amare apick up of Michael Redd at the very least you start to bring back the identity of the Knicks with two fiery players who can play the game. Add a guy like Stromile Swift at the 4 with amare learning off the bench. Adding thrre great young players in one year with two who already put up big NBA numbers in limited mts and the other a big big time stud who is a legitimate 6-10 250 pds who couldve played our center position in 2 years. We still would ve won just as many games as we would with dice+++ we have a beautiful core and headtsrt for a team for the next 10 years.

We have no plan right now its just fill in the player and hope to get an 8 seed. Its just going to implode and if DICE for some reason walks or is not healthy forget it we are doomed for 7 years. just to much risk with not enough reward.
RIP Crushalot😞
MCfan23
Member: #114
USA
8/18/2002  6:15 AM
Face it, why deal with the NY media and the pressure of over 20 seasons without a championship when you can get the same money, better weather, less prssure, and play with more talent somewhere else.
Exactly...the Knicks had no shot at him. He would've been a tremendous addition, but we didn't have a cat in hell's chance of signing him, unfortunately.
We suck.
nwny
8/18/2002  9:25 PM
Hey BRIGGS, if your idea of a “big time” free agent is Childs and Weatherspoon then the situation is worse than I thought. You’ve got problems. But keep reading because I think I can help you:
As big time free agents go, Houston is it, and until you do better than Childs and Spoon, well your argument just gets weaker. The Checkets/Grunfeld team, which you are so fond of acquired most of their impact guys, though trades: Spree, LJ, Harper, Oakley, and Camby. As for Swift, you are one of those fans who think just because you want a player your team should be able to get him. You want to send 2, 3, or even 4 garbage players to get a good player. It doesn’t work that way. We could send them all our junk and it isn't bringing back Swift. We don’t have anything that would bring Swift here. Even our marquee players wouldn’t bring us Swift because of their salaries. Spree, Houston, Camby, Dyse, none of these players or any combination of these players with our current players would have brought Swift here. The only thing that could have brought him here was a combination of factors that would include our pick. That Denver team Dyse was on was pathetic. Van Ex is a score first point guard that the Lakers were happy to get rid of, and Lafrentz puts up the quietest 13 PPG I have ever seen. These are not better players than Spree, and Houston. Dyse has played with junk his whole career. You act like you have a crystal ball, but your inability to provide any substantive basketball information just makes your words seems hollow.

[Edited by - nwny on 08/18/2002 21:26:15]
BRIGGS
8/19/2002  9:30 AM
I don't know where you have been but Chris Childs was a VERY hot commodity who had several offers when he became a free agent that year. the Knicks grabbed two very high profile guards that summer-Houston and childs --which were wanted by many teams and the Knicks got both of them. Weatherspoon is just an example of a player who picked the Knicks over the same offer from the Cavs. Do I have any clue whatsoever why we wanted him? NO It was one of the worst transactions in Knicks history. Not because Spoon stinks because he does not--he was just a replication of a position and was paid to much for to long when he was already on the downside of his career.

As for any deal for stromile
Fact 1 he is available
Fact2 I believe we have three assets to four asstes that could've been used to obtain him through a three or four team deal. I believe Thomas and Harrington have good trade levels for that tier player and as we have seen with Chicago they have been in the market for established veterans. We can utilize future draft picks and we have the rights to a PG they may be interested in or another team may be interested in. There is enough assets to get something done working with 1-2 more clubs IMO. Thats the job of the GM. JMHO but a frontline that featured Stromile and Dice would sure make things much more interesting to Knicks fans and would add an explosive powerful player to the frontline who has skills and athletic ability KT and OH only dream about at the age of 22.
RIP Crushalot😞
nwny
8/19/2002  2:09 PM
Just because teams want them doesn't make them "big time". The question was name another "big time" free agent the Knicks have signed other than Houston. Still waiting.
As for Swift, lets see you put together this trade. Use Real GM and post the link. And don't post a BS trade like Ward for Swift, just becasue the salaries might work. The teams involved must actually have expressed interest in the player or players simular to the player we have.
K.Clark signs with Kings!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy