Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
3/6/2006  1:02 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Solace:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by rvhoss:

There's no blame to take...we came out way better than chicago and nobody in this draft will be better than curry ever.

I don't know if that was sarcasm there, but let me ask you this. The knicks have denvers pick, lets say they draft Boone or Armstrong, and either player is not only better than curry over the long haul, but better than everyone in the top 5.

Was this trade to get curry still bad?

Very unlikely. There's always the chance in the draft you get a good player with a lower pick. In that scenario, we made a bad trade and got lucky.

better to be lucky than good sometimes..

Absolutely. I'm waiting for us to get lucky once. Hopefully it's this year.

However, you can't say that you're happy with a lower pick because you hope we get lucky. I'm happy with the higher pick and hoping we don't need luck.

Right now, Curry was a very expensive acquisition. On defense he looks like he's stuck in slow motion.
AUTOADVERT
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/6/2006  1:05 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

the sam bowie/jordan go to is kind of played, don't ya think?

Dude, stick with your unsubstantiated "Things are great!", "Ya Gotta Believe!", "We're going to contend next year!" and "We're definitely headed in the right direction!" drivel.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/6/2006  1:06 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by islesfan:

Yeah seriously, Curry guards?

I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to find somebody in the draft who could sit there in the paint and wait for the guards to set him up for easy buckets, commit stupid offensive fouls because they have no offensive moves, stand there like a statue on defense and make stupid proclamations about how all they need is one summer to start fulfilling their promise when he's already had 5 summers under his team's supervision.

curry does a good job guarding the opposing center, can morrison and gay guard the centers in this league? forget all your other drivel, can they guard centers?

Nazr Mohammed guards centers. Would you take him over Morrison, Gay or Aldridge (who can probably guard centers better than Curry can?

neither does nazr command double teams, nazr is not a space eater, nazr is not a threat to score. curry is. So again I don't see your point, also nazr is 28, curry is 23 the room for growth is greater with curry. you are reaching man...

Question, nazr guards centers and needs help, curry guards with no help.... NEXT.....

Are you really being this obtuse? You're the one bringing up the ability to guard centers as to why you'd prefer Curry over Morrison or Gay, as if Morrison and Gay don't bring anything else to the table.

I'm not bringing up Nazr because I prefer him, rather I brought him up because he fills your asinine "Does he guard centers?" requirement. And please, Curry needs as much help guarding centers as Nazr does but I guess by definition, they both guard centers which according to you means that they're preferable over Morrison or Gay because they can't.

islefan, the point is that people will say, I prefer morrison or gay, so threfore the curry trade is bad, this is the assinine thinking that I am arguing against. The point is we needed a center, we got one, we don't need more swingman, that is the point, therefore curry's value to me is higher. Now you and others have come back with the assinine well anyone can do what curry does, even nazr, Nazr does not fill my requirement of guarding centers, because nazr is not as effective IMO, we have been down that road, nazr will often be outscorred and will need help guarding real centers in this league, not the 6'8 wannabe centers. Curry guards big men without help, holds his own at times even dominates. KT never dominated at center for us, neither has nazr. Also there is no one I see in this draft that commands double teams from the center position and say what you want about curry, he does, that is just the facts.. stop with the smoke screening!!!

I guess you would have picked Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan. How did that one work out?

of course not, but maybe I would have taken Hakeem. I could live with those two rings and HOF play Hakeem gave the rockets? again you are smokescreening..

BTW: do you see a Jordan in this draft?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
tkf
3/6/2006  1:09 PM
Posted by LarryBird:

I think Eddy Curry is a terrific talent. Someone that big who is so athletic...he has skills you can't teach.

This is probably a bad choice of words, but does he have a heart? Does he want to be a great player? He certainly doesn't look to me that he is in shape.

I've seen guys like Curry before come and go. Remember Chris Washburn? Benoit Benjamin? Dinner Bell Mel Turpin? John Williams, who ate himself out of the league? Joe Barry Carroll aka Joe Barely Cares? (When asked what it was like to coach JBC, Johnnie Bach said "It was like coaching a corpse.") Even Oliver Miller had some ability.

Will Curry end up like these guys. Guys with loads of talent, but lacking in head & heart.

I keep hearing those comparisons, but in all fairness to curry, none of those guys had the offensive ability or creative ness around the hoop curry has, they didn't have the hands or agility. I saw all those guys play, they were scrubs from the start....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
3/6/2006  1:13 PM
ummm. ok. How old are you again? I'm sure you are snickering to yourself when you type these posts. I won't spoil your fun. Great post baby! Love it. And yes, the sky is falling.
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by rvhoss:

the sam bowie/jordan go to is kind of played, don't ya think?

Dude, stick with your unsubstantiated "Things are great!", "Ya Gotta Believe!", "We're going to contend next year!" and "We're definitely headed in the right direction!" drivel.

all kool aid all the time.
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/6/2006  1:16 PM
true...I never heard of most of those guys and OMiller always sucked.

Curry averaged 17 a game last year. He's no rookie. Any of these guys gives a team 17 a game, then I'll be truly impressed, but at this point, they got no more potential than the 23 year old 7 footer that has 5 years under his belt and is now coached by a HOFer.

I'd still have to put my money on Curry over anybody in the upcoming draft.

notice I'm sticking to the topic of discussion (isles).
Posted by tkf:
Posted by LarryBird:

I think Eddy Curry is a terrific talent. Someone that big who is so athletic...he has skills you can't teach.

This is probably a bad choice of words, but does he have a heart? Does he want to be a great player? He certainly doesn't look to me that he is in shape.

I've seen guys like Curry before come and go. Remember Chris Washburn? Benoit Benjamin? Dinner Bell Mel Turpin? John Williams, who ate himself out of the league? Joe Barry Carroll aka Joe Barely Cares? (When asked what it was like to coach JBC, Johnnie Bach said "It was like coaching a corpse.") Even Oliver Miller had some ability.

Will Curry end up like these guys. Guys with loads of talent, but lacking in head & heart.

I keep hearing those comparisons, but in all fairness to curry, none of those guys had the offensive ability or creative ness around the hoop curry has, they didn't have the hands or agility. I saw all those guys play, they were scrubs from the start....

tkf
3/6/2006  1:25 PM
Posted by McK1:

Curry 23 & 7 in a 15 point loss at home.

you could've gotten Mike Sweetney to put up 15 & 6 nightly, draw doubles, and guard opposing centers 1 - on -1. I recall him shutting EC down and doing a very good job on Shaq.

with EC's 6' 11 frame, the theory is his length wil be more of a factor defensively than Mikes. Yet instill, the paint is as wide open as ever.

MCK, You just won't act right will you? I am going to have to give you some "act right"

in two losses to the magic, curry numbers are.

29/9
23/6

in the last win vs the magic:

27/10 and 53% from the field.

Stop with the smoke screening man.. just stop and act right!!!

against the magic and the Great Dwight Howard we all love, espcially myself, curry is averaging. 26/8 Hell that is pretty damn good...

islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/6/2006  1:41 PM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by McK1:

you could've gotten Mike Sweetney to put up 15 & 6 nightly, draw doubles, and guard opposing centers 1 - on -1. I recall him shutting EC down and doing a very good job on Shaq.

with EC's 6' 11 frame, the theory is his length wil be more of a factor defensively than Mikes. Yet instill, the paint is as wide open as ever.

MCK, You just won't act right will you? I am going to have to give you some "act right"

29/9
23/6

against the magic and the Great Dwight Howard we all love, espcially myself, curry is averaging. 26/8 Hell that is pretty damn good...

And in 3 games against the Wizards and the Great Brendan Haywood, Curry is averaging 9/5. Hell that is pretty damn pathetic...
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
McK1
Member: #964
3/6/2006  1:43 PM
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/6/2006  2:11 PM
Posted by tkf:

of course not, but maybe I would have taken Hakeem. I could live with those two rings and HOF play Hakeem gave the rockets?

Hakeem was pure greatness, but just to keep it real, do you think he would have won either of those rings if Michael hadn't "retired" for those 2 years??
Swishfm3
Member: #392
3/6/2006  2:23 PM
Gay + NBA = Broke man Caron Butler

Morrison + NBA = Wally Szerbiack (sp)
tkf
3/6/2006  2:39 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by McK1:

29/9
23/6

And in 3 games against the Wizards and the Great Brendan Haywood, Curry is averaging 9/5. Hell that is pretty damn pathetic...

yea, I figured you would bring that up, but curry has always struggled VS haywood, ask bulls fans. I mean even Ewing struggled vs the great Bill cartwright....

But curry had great games Vs Dwight Howard, the clippers front line of kaman and Brand and also great numbers vs the GReat Ben wallace. I can live with that, if the wizzards are his biggest hiccup, I can surely live with that....
tkf
3/6/2006  2:41 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by tkf:

of course not, but maybe I would have taken Hakeem. I could live with those two rings and HOF play Hakeem gave the rockets?

Hakeem was pure greatness, but just to keep it real, do you think he would have won either of those rings if Michael hadn't "retired" for those 2 years??

I don't know and I don't care, Jordan retired, that was the fact, I mean maybe if Jordan didn't gamble, maybe if his dad hadn't gotten killed, maybe all of those pressures mounted and was a large part of him retiring, he did mention the death of his father as a reason. There are a whole bunch of maybe's, so I can't even speculate... Hakeem won two rings. End of story as far as I am concerned...
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/6/2006  3:09 PM
Curry has a good shot to be special. A lot of bigs take this long to really mature. The big difference however between late bloomers like Ben Wallace and Brad Miller are that Curry was a top pick and touted to be an impact player. Those guys became allstars through hardwork and effort. Curry is catered too because of upside and "talent."

At some point Curry is responsible for his own greatness or demise. I will give him this year. Lets see how he shows up, what he does this offseason, what he learns, who he works out with. If he's slimmer and quicker and starts next year somewere reasonable.. 260-270 then I believe the guy's a beast in the making. If he's the 300ish he is now tractor trailor part deux here we are.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
3/6/2006  3:12 PM
Posted by fishmike:

Curry has a good shot to be special. A lot of bigs take this long to really mature. The big difference however between late bloomers like Ben Wallace and Brad Miller are that Curry was a top pick and touted to be an impact player. Those guys became allstars through hardwork and effort. Curry is catered too because of upside and "talent."

At some point Curry is responsible for his own greatness or demise. I will give him this year. Lets see how he shows up, what he does this offseason, what he learns, who he works out with. If he's slimmer and quicker and starts next year somewere reasonable.. 260-270 then I believe the guy's a beast in the making. If he's the 300ish he is now tractor trailor part deux here we are.

I agree..
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/6/2006  3:19 PM
but TFK.. that being said I'm not expecting it to happen. So far watching every game I've seen a guy with a pretty low IQ, make the same mistakes and try the same moves every single game with the same results. When he has his big games its because our guards are doing a superior job of attacking the rim, which leaves Eddie to do what he does best: clean the offensive glass and dunk putbacks. I've seen ZERO maturation in his game over the entire year.

I hope he proves me wrong and starts by getting in shape, but guys usually lose weight as the NBA season goes on. EC seems to be gaining it
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
3/6/2006  3:54 PM
Posted by fishmike:

but TFK.. that being said I'm not expecting it to happen. So far watching every game I've seen a guy with a pretty low IQ, make the same mistakes and try the same moves every single game with the same results. When he has his big games its because our guards are doing a superior job of attacking the rim, which leaves Eddie to do what he does best: clean the offensive glass and dunk putbacks. I've seen ZERO maturation in his game over the entire year.

I hope he proves me wrong and starts by getting in shape, but guys usually lose weight as the NBA season goes on. EC seems to be gaining it

I can also agree with that fish, but I will say this, curry has gotten better at kicking the ball out, at first he never passed at all, of late he has kicked the ball to the open man. Another thing he shows at times, some creativeness around the rim, when he does this he is almost unstoppable,the problem is he doesn't do it often enough....
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/6/2006  5:44 PM
what if $100 bills start falling out of the sky?
rvhoss
Switzerland
3/7/2006  2:04 AM
Also, keep in mind Curry was drafted out of high school, so I feel this gives him a few more years as opposed to the others you mentioned. Coming out of High School was a mistake to some players, however, if the reason being was financial (family, etc.) then it's a no brainer, but they still have time to blossom.

He's 23...there is no other comparison at this point to anybody that has ever come out of the draft. With the exception of Shaq.

And he's no shaq...yet.

I've seen him score 10 points in the first 8 minutes of a game. I've seen him clog the lane and get boards.

I'm a believer, but once again, I'm a Knick's Fan!
GoNyGoNyGo
Member: #411
USA
3/7/2006  8:21 AM
IF your asking whether I would rather have Curry at 6'11" 285 to build a team around or a Gay/Morrison spot up shooter, then I would take Curry. The fact that we are talking about 2 guys is valid. The reason is that spot up shooters can be found...big tough C's cannot.

Curry is 23 years old....it was his first season with a real coach. Let's give him another year or two before we kill him. He seems to say the right things and Brown is not ripping him, so he must be trying.

There is no one in the draft this year that would be able to guard Curry.
curry isn't feeling the draft (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy