[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Something That's Never Discussed
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
3/5/2006  6:11 PM
It's NEVER talked about, among the countless beat writers - even among us Knicks scholars - but I would be curious to learn how Isiah envisioned David Lee at the NBA Draft

- before Larry was hired -

Lee was bulked up at Florida to play the four and some center. He was a flyer in high school, in the mold of a fluid and hip-hoppity Bobby Jones.

Along comes Larry Browns revolving door and the experimental downsizing of Lee the small forward spot DURING the season. His appearance and diss-appearance.

One could throw a thick blanket over Woods, Taylor, Frye, Lee, Malik Rose, Richardson - and have a tough time defining a clearly superior player between compiling stats and adding up the intangibles.

The parity, inconsistency and indecision at the 3-4 spots have cost the Knicks dearly
once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/5/2006  6:17 PM
bobby jones - EXACTLY.

there was a season subscriber forum earlier last summer. marv, fish, and killa came as well. marv, before isiah spoke, said david lee is like a bobby jones. 30 minutes later, isiah says "david lee is like a bobby jones."

i think they really like david, larry included. that's why they tried to make him a SF b/c there was no place for him at PF.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/5/2006  6:24 PM
Didn't Larry compare him to BJ too?
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
3/5/2006  6:32 PM
djsunyc - hold up juts a moment homes. The night of the draft most Knicks fans instantly began moaning and groaning about Isiah's selection of Lee.

"who is dis guy?"

"David WHO?"

"the Knicks just picked another flop"

Few had watched him in college OR had any memory of Lee winning the McDonalds HS Slam Dunk contest his senior season. Nobody mentioned Lee as a potential Knick before the draft. Nobody.

Then a few calmed down long enough to do some research.

Me?

I remembered Lee taking off from the baseline, bouncing the basketball deliberately high toward the rim, removing his jersey to reveal a bare chest, taking a giant step, grabbing the ball in mid-air... and throwing it down just like his momma taught him.

The crowd went nuts.

On draft night, I just smiled.

once a knick always a knick
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/5/2006  7:08 PM
I liked Lee a lot before the draft. I had him as a candidate with the Spurs pick along with Ronny Turiaf. Having seen him at Florida, I saw him as a PF/C type in the mold of Scot Pollard back when he was in Sacramento (and was an exceptional rebounder, backing up Cwebb and Divac).

But he's proven to a much more talented guy than I imagined. I didn't know he had this kind of court sense or passing ability.
Something That's Never Discussed

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy