[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

we shouldnt have picked up jalen rose
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/3/2006  10:37 AM
Maybe Jalen is just another expiring contract to see what can be picked up at next seasons trade deadline. Francis was had for free basically - so why let AD just expire and get nothing for him?

Logic could be:
Now we have a 1st round pick, and another contract to trade next season that could get us picks or an impact player from a team who needs cap space.

Why let a contract expire that isnt going to help your cap situation anyway?

Plus Rose could be an OK role player if needed. Isiah said himself, in this league you dont want to be under the cap. Well you cant sign free agents - but you can sign and trade for them and offer cap space in return so the teams can go sign someone they covet. In a perfect world this would work and our team would be winning but it hasnt paid dividends yet.
I see the logic though and I think it could eventually turn into something, its just going to take some patience.

I would give it another year and if things dont start clicking then you blow the team up and rebuild from ground zero.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
3/3/2006  10:41 AM
Jalen Rose was a good pickup. We get a first rounder and we defer our ending contract from this year to next year. I don't see a problem. Also, this opens up more PT for Frye, Lee and Q2. Jalen is an insurance policy right now.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
3/3/2006  10:57 AM
Posted by OasisBU:

Maybe Jalen is just another expiring contract to see what can be picked up at next seasons trade deadline. Francis was had for free basically - so why let AD just expire and get nothing for him?

thats exactly it right there.

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/3/2006  11:15 AM
we can't trade for KT even if we wanted to... CBA rules don't allow 2 teams to exchange the same player twice.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
edsonline
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #735
3/3/2006  12:53 PM
and what's an expiring pick?
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
3/3/2006  1:48 PM
Briggs, I remember about 1/4 into the season, you were saying we should get Rose. Now you change your mind?
tomverve
Member: #878
3/3/2006  4:52 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

jalen rose is effective pretty much only when he has the ball in his hands. he likes to shoot alot also. with steph + francis + trying to go inside to curry, there really is no role for jalen on the team anymore.

Wrong-- Rose is still our best/most consistent perimeter shooter, so at the very least he could stand on the perimeter and wait for kickouts as a 4th option, and otherwise help stretch the opponent's D.

As for the Rose trade itself, one could argue that the trade was made too soon. On the other hand, one could observe that any trade opportunities we might have lost by trading Davis a bit before the deadline will more than be compensated for by the added trade opportunities we will have with Rose's expiring contract going into this summer and next season up to the trade deadline. It is far more likely that an attractive trade will arise in that time frame than it is that one would have arisen in the short time between the Rose trade and the trade deadline.

[Edited by - tomverve on 03-03-2006 4:54 PM]
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/3/2006  5:02 PM
any more 6-1 SGs out there to be had for Jalen's expiring contract besides Francis and Baron?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/3/2006  5:04 PM
there's always David Wesley.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/3/2006  5:07 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by djsunyc:

jalen rose is effective pretty much only when he has the ball in his hands. he likes to shoot alot also. with steph + francis + trying to go inside to curry, there really is no role for jalen on the team anymore.

Wrong-- Rose is still our best/most consistent perimeter shooter, so at the very least he could stand on the perimeter and wait for kickouts as a 4th option, and otherwise help stretch the opponent's D.

As for the Rose trade itself, one could argue that the trade was made too soon. On the other hand, one could observe that any trade opportunities we might have lost by trading Davis a bit before the deadline will more than be compensated for by the added trade opportunities we will have with Rose's expiring contract going into this summer and next season up to the trade deadline. It is far more likely that an attractive trade will arise in that time frame than it is that one would have arisen in the short time between the Rose trade and the trade deadline.

[Edited by - tomverve on 03-03-2006 4:54 PM]

tom, to me you expose the whole folly of the Isiah era.

more than be compensated for by the added trade opportunities we will have with Rose's expiring contract going into this summer and next season up to the trade deadline

He's selling snake oil. More and more and more "trade opportunities." Yeah, pass that pipe, man.

Never has to end, does it.

Limitless dollars. Limitless opportunities.

Limited wins.
tomverve
3/3/2006  5:12 PM
Posted by Marv:

Regardless of what one thinks of the practice of trading big expiring contracts, it is awfully hard to deny that we gained more trading opportunities than we lost by making the Rose trade.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Marv
3/3/2006  5:13 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Marv:

Regardless of what one thinks of the practice of trading big expiring contracts, it is awfully hard to deny that we gained more trading opportunities than we lost by making the Rose trade.
The never ending trip to where exactly?
tomverve
3/3/2006  5:15 PM
Posted by Marv:

You are still critiquing the idea of trading expiring contracts, which is a separate issue. I'm talking specifically about the opportunities gained and lost by making the Rose trade at the time we did rather than waiting a little longer.
Marv
3/3/2006  5:21 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Marv:

You are still critiquing the idea of trading expiring contracts, which is a separate issue. I'm talking specifically about the opportunities gained and lost by making the Rose trade at the time we did rather than waiting a little longer.

Okay, then let's switch topics. Would you please explain the connection between Isiah's random trades and salary-expansion to any foreseeable arival at a cohesive, rational and winning roster?
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/3/2006  5:30 PM
Its possible that this time nxt yr, Hilton Armstrong and Lamar Odom will be on this team, courtesy of the AD trade.
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/3/2006  5:32 PM
nice Lamar Odom! He'll fit right in!
tomverve
3/3/2006  5:45 PM
Posted by Marv:

Okay, then let's switch topics. Would you please explain the connection between Isiah's random trades and salary-expansion to any foreseeable arival at a cohesive, rational and winning roster?

Isiah came into a situation where the team had a huge dearth of talent. He has inarguably upgraded the talent up til this point. We have several players who could form the core of a cohesive and effective group. We also have some leeway to add role players to fill out the roster, and role players are cheaper to bring in than big talents. We also have a HOF coach in whom I still have faith. We also have a number of deadweight contracts set to come off the books soon, so the salary cap figure is not as bad as it seems.

I'm not at all denying that there are question marks or the potential for failure, but there is a potential for success here too that I think is too easily overlooked by many. Patience is required in a rebuild, and whether you want to call this a rebuild or not (essentially an irrelevant issue of nomenclature) this situation is going to take some patience too.
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/3/2006  5:53 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

nice Lamar Odom! He'll fit right in!

Actually, he'd stick out like a blonde in a black and white police lineup. Odom is a superstar role-player. Does everything exceptionally well. Is a threat to get a triple double everytime he steps pn the floor. He passes well (which is unusual for this team), would be our best rebounder, and can play any one of three positions.

Next-Town-Brown loves this guy by the way. Called him one of the most underrated allround players in the league.
Odom is a ball mover (would be our second best passer Tremendous on the boards and
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/3/2006  5:57 PM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Marv:

Isiah came into a situation where the team had a huge dearth of talent. He has inarguably upgraded the talent up til this point. We have several players who could form the core of a cohesive and effective group. We also have some leeway to add role players to fill out the roster, and role players are cheaper to bring in than big talents. We also have a HOF coach in whom I still have faith. We also have a number of deadweight contracts set to come off the books soon, so the salary cap figure is not as bad as it seems.

I'm not at all denying that there are question marks or the potential for failure, but there is a potential for success here too that I think is too easily overlooked by many. Patience is required in a rebuild, and whether you want to call this a rebuild or not (essentially an irrelevant issue of nomenclature) this situation is going to take some patience too.

when you get to spend 500mm $+ i hope that you get some talent. my guess is a trained monkey couldve done better. steve francis should save face here IF follow up moves next yeat cater to DEFENSE
RIP Crushalot😞
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/3/2006  6:11 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Marv:

when you get to spend 500mm $+ i hope that you get some talent. my guess is a trained monkey couldve done better. steve francis should save face here IF follow up moves next yeat cater to DEFENSE

that monkey would have to have super powers.

There's the Isiah that got Mo T, signed Jerome James, gave away a top 3 pick for Curry etc.

Then there's the Isiah that got Marbury, Francis, Frye, Lee etc.

Separate the good from the bad.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
we shouldnt have picked up jalen rose

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy