[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

You can't rebuild in NY
Author Thread
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/2/2006  3:49 PM
This may sound crazy - but I think Isiah is rebuilding in the only way NYK can at this point. He just should have been smarter and not given away this years pick and next years - at least he should have lotto protected them. To me that was his biggest mistake.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/2/2006  3:51 PM
It's why the Knicks haven't won a championship since 1973, and it's why the Rangers hadn't won in 54 years.

realhiphop
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #533
3/2/2006  3:51 PM
When did we have a shot at Kobe? We've never been under the cap to have a shot at him unless we did a sign and trade!
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
3/2/2006  3:53 PM
Posted by realhiphop:

When did we have a shot at Kobe? We've never been under the cap to have a shot at him unless we did a sign and trade!

"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Erniecat
Member: #851
3/2/2006  3:55 PM
Jim Dolan is the biggest insult to NY sports fans ever. He thinks that spending endless amounts of money on players equals fielding a good team, and he thinks Knicks fans won't know the difference. Yeah, like we don't know the difference between Stephon Marbury and Jason Kidd. Or Jalen Rose and Kobe Bryant. Same money, different results.

This garbage about not being able to rebuild in NY is so ridiculous. It sounds good, makes a nice sound bite. But it has zero basis in reality. How come everyone I speak to -- friends, relatives -- agreed years ago (after Ewing) that we needed to rebuild??? And we are all NY sports fans.

Look, we have to realize exactly what we are dealing with in Dolan, who is so clueless and incompetent it is absurd. Dolan said at that stupid meeting with reporters in Memphis the following:

"I fully expect you all to kill me in the papers, but I'm going to stick with it. And I'm going to stick with it until we stop making progress or until we achieve our goal."

So, he either believes that the team is making progress, or he wants the fans to believe the team is making progress.

Therefore, he is either a total moron or thinks the fans are total morons. Either way, it is not too good.

The most frustrating thing to me is, how could EVERYONE who is objective about the Knicks and knows anything about the NBA (I'm not even talking about Knicks fans) believe the Knicks are a complete joke, and how can we have the worst record in the NBA and the highest payroll (by far), yet still have an owner who refuses to admit things are not going at least poorly???

I've been a NY sports fan for over 30 years, and have seen my share of bad teams, from the Mets and Yanks to the Jets and Giants. But nothing at all compares to this. We are so bad on so many levels, it really is almost surreal.

I can't even talk about the team itself anymore. Being excited about our rookies and Larry Brown coming on board seems like decades ago.

How many days till baseball Opening Day?

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/2/2006  4:04 PM
Posted by Rich:

It's why the Knicks haven't won a championship since 1973, and it's why the Rangers hadn't won in 54 years.

Rangers won in 1994.

Under checketts, both Knicks and Rangers both in finals. MSG was alive and kicking!

1994 was a good year for Starphuching.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2006  5:16 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by misterearl:

>> if a gm comes out and says "hey, we're gonna rebuild. it's gonna take some time and we have some bad contracts that we may have to wait out, but we're gonna try it this way. please be patient."

All of a sudden $1000. courtside seats don't look like a good investment

All of a sudden your competitors are picking over your team like vultures witnessing your certain demise

All of a sudden people stop buying your merchandise and your cable ratings drop

All of a sudden six years seems like an eternity in NYC. That's how long it took the Bulls.

Every team rebuilds, evey season

you really want to start from scratch?

no gurantees.

for every $1000 seat, which comes out to $44,000 for the year, you save TENFOLD instead of spending $5mil a year on jerome james. the garden was drawing 15K+ still during the worst shantella eisleyspoon days. they would still draw that during the frye/lee/nate days, if not more.

bulls messed up. they had the best frontcourt in the nba and traded them away (miller/brand/artest). what would the situation of this team be right now if all isiah did was draft? no trades. no signings. just draft. with isiah's draft acumen, we'd be in a 10X better situation.

but that's neither here nor there since the moves made over the past few months have put us in a bind. no real high picks for 3 of the next 5 years.

2 Words: CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP.

2 more: CABLE CONTRACTS.

You can't sell crappy basketball to those 2. You have to sell promise today, not promise 4-5 years down the road.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bippity10
Member: #574
3/2/2006  11:08 PM
Again I don't understand why this is such a tough concept. We just hired one of the greatest coach's in NBA history and becasue he can't turn a crappy roster into a good team some are calling for his firing. The only reason why the brunt isn't all on him is because Isiah is taking it for now. If we fired him then the fans would turn to Brown next and give the new GM a break. And the cycle of undermining would continue.

Rich is 100% right. The reason we haven't won in 30 years is that NO GM IS EVER GOING TO REBUILD here unless he knows that his job is safe. We keep calling them idiots but the truth is that Zeke and Layden are doing exactly what you or I would do in the same position. They can't afford to take the time to build. They have to pray to catch Dice in a bottle in order to prolong their careers long enough to rebuild. That's NY. Until we have stability we will NEVER SEE ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP.

I am not sold on Isiah. But I am sold on Brown's ability to lead the right team to a title. So I say let him and Isiah get on the same page, suffer through the hard times, be patient and let these guys build a plan. Winning is an effort. Anty team that rebuilds normally changes plans 3 or 4 times before something works. If we are truly patient fans we will understand that there is no winning without stability.

[Edited by - bippity10 on 03-02-2006 11:09 PM]
I just hope that people will like me
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
3/3/2006  12:04 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by Rich:

Rangers won in 1994.

Under checketts, both Knicks and Rangers both in finals. MSG was alive and kicking!

1994 was a good year for Starphuching.

Yes, but the Knicks were in a position to win because they were bad enough to win the lottery to draft Ewing in 1985, which is in effect a rebuilding process, and the Rangers won the Cup because Smith inherited the young core of Leetch, Richter, Zubov and others that Craig Patrick assembled when the Rangers rebuilt in the '80s.

Having that young core allowed them to supplement their teams with veterans as the final pieces.

[Edited by - Rich on 03-03-2006 12:06 AM]
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
3/3/2006  6:12 AM
how's this...

rebuilding doesn't guarantee anything... Forget about drafting the next big thing. Trade all your ****in lottery picks & flexibilty for guys like Eddy Curry, crawford and marbury. Hire Larry Brown then trade for Steve Francis to play SG. its so good to know that the Knicks play championship calibur defense again!
You can't rebuild in NY

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy