[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

it all comes back to the unprotected pick
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/2/2006  2:32 PM
if only woody went right to the police, none of this would've happened

if we had OUR unprotected pick back, none of this would've happened. no trade for jalen rose to get that denver pick. no trade for steve francis. IN FACT, if we had our unprotected #1, i bet you we're sellers at the deadline. i bet they would've spun this as a part of rebuilding and go into tank mode to ensure an even higher pick. but no, we gave away that pick so in losing, we have NOTHING to show for it. and it's not like curry is a 20/10 monster that's dominating either.

i think it all comes back to that pick.
AUTOADVERT
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
3/2/2006  2:35 PM
Us be sellers at the deadline would have improved the pick, us being buyers may ensure the pick in itself
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/2/2006  2:35 PM
I dont think its that deep. I think Francis still could have happened - and should have happened because we got him for NOTHING.

Not having the pick hurts, but I dont think it would have made us sellers at this point and pointing towards a major rebuilding. Lets face it - this team was dur for a season like this under Layden - in fact it should have happened when Lebron was in the draft. We could have at least had a shot at Melo. But hindsight is 20/20.

"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
3/2/2006  2:37 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

if we had OUR unprotected pick back, none of this would've happened. no trade for jalen rose to get that denver pick. no trade for steve francis.

i dont know why you keep saying that. if we still had our 1st, i GUARENTEE those contracts would have still been traded.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/2/2006  2:38 PM
You have to look at the pick for NEXT year as the real big killer.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/2/2006  2:38 PM
Posted by OasisBU:

I dont think its that deep. I think Francis still could have happened - and should have happened because we got him for NOTHING.

Not having the pick hurts, but I dont think it would have made us sellers at this point and pointing towards a major rebuilding. Lets face it - this team was dur for a season like this under Layden - in fact it should have happened when Lebron was in the draft. We could have at least had a shot at Melo. But hindsight is 20/20.

It's not hindsight if you said it at the time.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
djsunyc
3/2/2006  2:41 PM
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by djsunyc:

if we had OUR unprotected pick back, none of this would've happened. no trade for jalen rose to get that denver pick. no trade for steve francis.

i dont know why you keep saying that. if we still had our 1st, i GUARENTEE those contracts would have still been traded.

15 games under .500 at the all star break, with a possible #1 pick overall in the balance, i would hope this organization wouldn't be THAT stupid to make some win now moves. it was a legitimate chance to pare some payroll. $30 + $30 (luxury) is nothing to scoff at...followed by the sh tload that comes off next year as well.

i felt we gave up too much at the time of the trade and still don't get why there wasn't ANY protection on that pick at all.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/2/2006  2:45 PM
I hear you, but Lamarcus, Morrison, or Rudy is not exactly franchise talent either.
djsunyc
3/2/2006  2:47 PM
Posted by Nalod:

I hear you, but Lamarcus, Morrison, or Rudy is not exactly franchise talent either.

as of right now. march madness boosts value (frye went from mid-late first round to lottery based on march games).

but it's not necessarily using the pick on a player, but the option of trading the #1 for multiple picks later to address many needs or to trade it for a young stud player in the league, etc.

on draft night, the #1,2, or 3 pick will be more valuable than eddy curry.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/2/2006  3:38 PM
Isiah should publicly offer Curry to whoever owns a top 3 pick this year. Do any of you think that he'd have any takers?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
3/2/2006  3:38 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

if we had OUR unprotected pick back, none of this would've happened. no trade for jalen rose to get that denver pick. no trade for steve francis. IN FACT, if we had our unprotected #1, i bet you we're sellers at the deadline. i bet they would've spun this as a part of rebuilding and go into tank mode to ensure an even higher pick. but no, we gave away that pick so in losing, we have NOTHING to show for it. and it's not like curry is a 20/10 monster that's dominating either.

Trading an unprotected pick in a package for a player of Curry's caliber is horse****. Regardless of what you predict our record to be as a GM, you protect the pick. Keep in mind, we came into the season with the 8th worst record - losing our best defensive player in KT, with a new coach, no starting small forward, and adding 4 young players to play significant minutes. Not to mention, a 22 year old center with minimal defensive and rebounding presence who I absolutely GUARANTEED to "real" fans like Hardcore will NOT get much better this season. At some point, you have to retain some intelligence and give up the Shaq fantasy. When you look at his defensive rotation instincts, poor lateral movement and offensive foul history, how convinced are you that this season is anything other than a crapshoot? And Isiah not insuring that gamble was as disasterous move as any he has made.

That said, the Rose and Francis trades remain unaffected by that blunder. Keep in mind, even if the Curry-Rose-Francis trades were not made and a Marbury dump was accomplished at the deadline, we still don't achieve cap space any earlier. The Francis trade was made independently on an asset level and, as such, was worth the dead weight time until 2007.

The bottom line is certain moves are made to obtain end point players and others to obtain intermediates. Francis is an intermediate chip. Rose is an irrelavant chip brought in to acquire a draft pick. In terms of maximizing return value on expiring contracts, the Rose trade is up for debate but our asset appreciation can't be debated. And the Francis trade is precedent-seting as a landmark deal in terms of valuing expiring contracts - remember Houson got T-Mac for Francis. Isiah gets an A+ or higher for getting Steve Francis.

For the past 2 years, the Knicks have been in asset acquisition mode - snatching talent at literally any price. And without question, Isiah has ****ed up along the way. But now is when the team vision is critical - players have to be targetted and brought in. We have the chips to get it done - we just need the brains to build a cohesive team.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
3/2/2006  3:45 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by djsunyc:

15 games under .500 at the all star break, with a possible #1 pick overall in the balance, i would hope this organization wouldn't be THAT stupid to make some win now moves. it was a legitimate chance to pare some payroll. $30 + $30 (luxury) is nothing to scoff at...followed by the sh tload that comes off next year as well.

i felt we gave up too much at the time of the trade and still don't get why there wasn't ANY protection on that pick at all.

but they would, Isiah is all about upgrading talent. with $35mil coming off the books next year that wont be traded, Isiah was definately going to trade our expirings this year for longer contracts without a doubt.

edsonline
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #735
3/3/2006  12:43 PM
Is this the 1,000th thread about this or the 1,001st?
it all comes back to the unprotected pick

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy