[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

could the clippers win it all?! (say it ain't so!)
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/13/2002  3:34 PM
Talk about your head-scratchers. The Los Angeles Clippers, the so-called worst franchise in professional sports, suddenly are poised to compete (are you ready for this?) for a world championship. With the addition of Andre Miller, the young Clippers are no longer the laughingstock of the league. In fact, on paper, you can make the argument that LA's Staples Center might house the best two teams on the planet next season.

Last season, other than the Lakers, the Kings and Mavs were clearly the class of the league. And as far as talent, the Spurs and Blazers weren't too far behind. Each team features a better-than-average point man, a versatile small forward, a dominant power forward and a solid center. Sound familiar, Clipper fans?

Here is how Alvin Gentry's lineup stacks up at the above-mentioned positions when compared to the other contenders that are trying to dethrone the Lakers:

Center

LAC: Michael Olowokandi
SAC: Vlade Divac
DAL: Raef LaFrentz
SA: David Robinson
POR: Dale Davis

Power forward

LAC: Elton Brand
SAC: Chris Webber
DAL: Dirk Nowitzki
SA: Tim Duncan
POR: Rasheed Wallace

Small forward

LAC: Lamar Odom
SAC: Peja Stojakovic
DAL: Michael Finley
SA: Bruce Bowen
POR: Scottie Pippen

Point guard

LAC: Andre Miller
SAC: Mike Bibby
DAL: Steve Nash
SA: Tony Parker
POR: Damon Stoudamire

With his touch around the hoop, shot-blocking ability and uncanny skills on the offensive glass, Brand has developed into one of the game's premier big men. He can more than hold his own against the other would-be champ's formidable power forwards.

With Olowokandi flashing some frontcourt brilliance of his own last season, it appears the Clippers have the legitimate pivot it takes to win it all. The rest of the challengers out West would trade their starting center in a heartbeat for Olowokandi, and none possesses the size or athleticism to match up with Shaquille O'Neal quite like Kandi Man.

With freakish talents for being 6-10, Odom rounds out one of the most formidable frontcourts in the league. Besides the status of Shaq's pinky toe, the biggest question in LA hoops this offseason is whether the troubled Odom can lace 'em up with healthy wrists, ankles and lungs to regain his sophomore form (17.2 ppg, 5.2 apg, 7.8 rpg, 1.6 bpg). When healthy and not suspended, Odom is more than a match for Stojakovic, Finley or any other small forward with legitimate hopes of conquering the Lakers.

The Clippers also boast one of the deepest and most talented supporting casts in the game. With Quentin Richardson, Corey Maggette, Melvin Ely, Chris Wilcox, Marko Jaric and Eric Piatkowski, the Clippers have a backup at every position who would start on several other lottery teams.

What will pull the Clippers up from lottery loser to championship contender is, of course, the addition of Miller. With all respect to Bibby and Nash, Andre is the best point guard on a legit contender and the best point guard in LA since some guy they called Magic. With Miller on board, the Clippers have the smart young playmaker they need to bring that talented nucleus together and take next step.

Shaq, Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson want another championship parade in LA? Better watch what you wish for. Can you dig it?

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/fans_view/20020810.html
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/13/2002  5:33 PM
to anyone that would listen, I have been preaching the Clipjoint team as the team to watch (not yet the team to beat). If I were in LA, I would be buying Clipper season tickets in a NY minute. Not only will those guys be good, but they are fun to watch. Now if only they can lock up their players and get a team leader or 2.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/13/2002  6:36 PM
You forgot the shooting guards list, and as I think now, I can't remember it.

LAC: Quentin Richardson
SAC: Doug Christie
DAL: I thought Finley was the SG...
SA: Steve Smith
POR: Bonzi Wells?

Someone help me out.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 08/13/2002 18:37:08]
#Knickstaps
could the clippers win it all?! (say it ain't so!)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy