[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

chad ford chat wrap
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/2/2006  1:29 PM
Chad Ford: Thanks for coming to the chat everyone. Interesting, now that the trade deadline has passed, about 80 percent of the questions are about the draft ... I guess for those of you cheering for teams that aren't playing so well ... that's the next great hope. We'll do a few NBA questions at the top and then hit the draft.

Jose (Miami): The Heat have won 7 in a row and 12 of 14. Do you give them better chances now to get past Detroit?

SportsNation Chad Ford: No. Unless the Pistons suffer a big time injury to one of their starting five ... I still believe that they're winning it all. Heat will challenge them, but they still lack teh chemsitry to win a 7 game series against Detroit.

Sam, Ohio: The Cavs have just lost their 5th straight and it's hard to see them missing the playoffs. Do you think they'll get it together so they don't have these long losing streaks during the playoffs?

SportsNation Chad Ford: This seems to be a reoccuring nightmare for the Cavs. I can't see them slipping out of the playoffs however, I wonder what owner Dan Gilbert is thinking. None of rookie GM Danny Ferry's moves have paid off so far and a couple seem to have already backfired.

Steve Dallas, TX: If the Mavs win tonight against the Spurs, will they win the West? It think they will.

SportsNation Chad Ford: It's a huge game. Dallas has been the best team in the league over the last two months. They're getting an MVP performance from Dirk, Josh Howard has turned into a fantastic player and Jason Terry (a guy I've never been a huge fan of) has been great. Give a lot of the credit to Avery Johnson. Mike D'Antoni's getting my vote for coach of the year again ... but Johnson would be in second place. Can the Mavs win the West? Absolutley. But if Amare Stoudemire is back and gets totally healthy ... I think it may be the Suns playing the Pistons in the Finals.

John(Toronto,Ontario): How do you see the future of the Raptors? Whith Chris, Charlie and the new gm (Bryan Colangelo. Thanx

SportsNation Chad Ford: I think it's bright. I think bringing in Colangelo was exactly the right move for Toronto. They have a great building block in Chris Bosh. Villanueva also has a lot of talent, though I wouldn't be shocked if Colangelo uses him as trade bait to try to get the center they desperately need. As for Mike James, I wouldn't give him more than $3 million per year. Look at his age and what a fluke season this has been for him. Teams make big mistakes when they reward guys that old who have a miraculous contract season.

Matt (Grand Rapids): Do you like the addition of Tony Delk to Detroit? Do you see him getting minutes down the stretch and in the playoffs?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Yes. He gives them a very good perimeter shooter and someone who can fill in for Chauncey 10 minutes a game. Come playoff time, Lindsey Hunter will get the bulk of those minutes, but the Pistons like Delk as insurance.

Mike in Phoenix, AZ: Mike D'Antoni turned Boris Diaw into a center. Any chance he can turn Tim Thomas into one as well? And what are your impressions about the Bryan Colangelo situation, as it relates to Robert Sarver and the Suns' future? Thanks.

SportsNation Chad Ford: I'm not a Tim Thomas fan, but it's hard to deny that Mike D'Antoni seems to have the golden touch when it comes to players like him. If he can get into shape, Thomas will be a perfect fit in their system. As for the future of the Suns, it appears that they aren't going to hire a GM and give D'Antoni the responsibilites. I love Mike, but I think Sarver's making a big mistake. Having a coach act as GM RARELY works. For those that have the impression that Sarver's cheap, I think this exacerbates it a bit. Colangelo was a great GM ... you've got to replace all the stuff he did with someone equally competent. And while D'Antoni does have a GREAT eye for talent, that's not the only thing a GM does. Who handles the trade and free agent negotiations, the business side of things and who looks out for the long term health of the franchise. Coaches are always trying to win now. GMs are the buffer that keeps them from trading the whole team when they get in a funk?

Craig Stillwater Ok: Is Rudy Gay or Lamarcus Aldridge really that good? They don't seem that great of college players. Who do you take #1?

SportsNation Chad Ford: The No. 1 pick is almost always based on potential ... not performance. Sometimes it works (see Dwight Howard going ahead of the much more proven Emeka Okafor) and sometimes it doesn't. Gay and Aldridge are potential players. Morrison is the proven guy but he also doesn't have quite the NBA potential of the other two. This is a very weak draft at the top, but overall a very deep draft for role players.

Chris(Texas): Who's the better pro prospect, Josh Boone or Hilton Armstrong?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Tough one. Armstrong is bigger and has more of the physical tools. I think Boone has more talent. However, I don't get the impression Boone really likes basketball. I think that swings my opinion toward Armstrong. But honestly, I think both guys are back-ups, at best, in the pros.

Michael (Windermere, FL): Chad, what do you think of the Magic trade for Darko now? I've watched the last 4 Magic games, and it appears that all he needed was some minutes to show what he can do! It looks to me that it was a great move by the Magic. Do you agree?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I thought he's look pretty good. It's good to see that energy and some of that nastiness I saw in Serbia a few years ago coming out again. His per minutes numbers have been great. The rust has come off a little earlier than I expected. He's just 20 years old so to me, there's still a lot of upside left. He just needs to get into better shape. I think the Magic will play him more minutes when his conditioning gets better. Looks like the move is paying off great for the Magic ... But if I'm Joe Dumars I'm looking at Flip Saunders and asking him why, given what we've seen in Orlando, Darko couldn't have done that for the Pistons. Maybe he needed a fresh start or maybe he just needed minutes. That's what happens when you judge guys before you actually see them play.

Brian (Memphis): What are the scouts' opinions on Bargnani? Are some of them skeptical due to the disappointment of recent international lottery picks? It looks as if he's putting up pretty good numbers in the Euroleague this year...

SportsNation Chad Ford: Yes, he's suffering a bit from the Euro backlash. A few years ago he'd have been in the mix for the No. 1 pick. At this point he's a more proven European player than Darko was ... his production reminds me a lot of what Pau Gasol was doing in the Euroleague before he came over. If Darko continues to play well in Orlando it will really help Bargnani's stock. I like him a lot but would like to see more of him. I've seen him in person several times and on tape another 10 games or so ... I think if the Bulls don't get their hands on LaMarcus Aldridge, Bargnani might be a good fit in Chicago.

Tre (DC): Is Reddick really going to be that good in the NBA? I see him going the way of some of the other "stellar" talents that have come from Duke, like Trajan Langdon, William Avery....Hill and Brand seem to be the only legit players. Your thoughts?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I don't think it has anything to do with Duke. There's no question that Redick is a fantastic shooter who has developed a very good all around offensive arsenal. However he doesn't rebound, doesn't really make his teammates better and though he gives good defensive effort, he's going to be overwhelmed at the next level because of his lack of size for the position and a lack of lateral quickness. There's an interesting Euro comparison here. Arvydas Macijauskas is about the same size, also an amazing shooter and was considered one of the top five players in Europe before he came here. So far he's looked overwhelmed physically in the brief time he's gotten to play. I think it's an issue with Redick. I doubt he slips past the Jazz ... but I think talk of him being a Top 5 pick is a mistake. He has too many weaknesses at the NBA level to take that high.

Tony (Brookfield, CT): Is Ronnie Brewer the second coming of Joe Johnson? A guard that can play some point and off guard. Is he a legit top ten pick? A player the Celtics would look at? (maybe they could keep him rather than letting him go like they did with Johnson)

SportsNation Chad Ford: Yes and no. He will have the ability to play both backcourt positions in the pros, but that's where the comparisons end. Johnson is a much better shooter and a much smoother player. Brewer is more aggressive, a better defender and a better athlete. I saw recently that SI had a blurb about him not being a good prospect. I don't know who they're talking to. All of the scouts I've talked to have him rated as a Top 10 pick. I think he'll be a great fit on a team like the Raptors or Celtics.

David(Boston, Mass): Could Rodney Carney fall down to the Celtics if they stay around the 8th pick, and is it possible they would take him if he was available?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I don't think he falls past Orlando. He fits what they need -- super athletic small forward with a great shooting stroke. I think he's a top 10 for sure.

bubba, issaquah: brandon roy must be skyrocketing up the draft. he has really shot well from the outside this year, does everything well score, pass, rebound and defend. Could teams see him as a point guard in the nba?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I honestly wasn't a huge Roy fan coming into the season, but he's made a believer out of me. He has a great all around game. I still think he needs to improve his outside shot ... but if he does that, he'll be a great NBA player. I have him ranked as a mid first round pick, but I could see him sneaking into the lottery with a team like the Kings or the Jazz.

Matt (Sacramento): Could Randy Foye fall to the kings? Would he be a good fit at the 2 to replace bonzi in future years or would they be better of going for a big man?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Some teams have Foye projected as a point guard, others as a combo guard. I think he could be a good fit in Sacramento, Utah or Minnesota. I think his chances of making the lottery are pretty high.

Bob (Milwaukee): Chad. . .do you think Julian Wright from Kansas will make the jump? If so, where would you see him falling? He has been unbelieveable of late.

SportsNation Chad Ford: Scouts love him and he's been playing great. He really needs another year or two of college basketball, but if he came out he'd get consideration in the late lottery based on his upside. However, if he's patient, I think he could be a Top 5 pick in another year.

Drew (Chicago): Will Josh McRoberts leave for the league? Wouldn't a year as the main man in a huge program benefit him? Or is he a top 5 pick already?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I don't think he's a Top 5 this year. Probably late lottery to mid first round. However, with Redick and Shelden Williams leaving, I think McRoberts will have a chance to be the man. If he plays well, he'll be a Top 5 pick. He's another kid who should really be patient and stay in school.

Jason (Newark, Delaware): Hey Chad, Why all the trade talk surrounding Ben Gordon and Luol Deng when the Bulls have a great shot at Lamarcus Aldridge? We're lacking a decent power forward and if he's anything like Chris Bosh as people are saying than shouldn't we wait and see if he's the missing piece? Why is it such a bad thing for a team to wait for their young players to develop these days?

SportsNation Chad Ford: I think Aldridge would be a great fit in Chicago. The problem comes from having too many inexperienced young kids on the floor together. The Bulls need a mix of young players and veterans who have lots of playoff experience to take the next step. Adding more young players does help the talent base ... but I'm not sure how many more wins it actually gets you.

Mike (New York): Who is Gerry McNamera going to go to in the draft

SportsNation Chad Ford: Maybe in the second round, but my guess is that he goes undrafted.

Jason (Boston): Do you see Jose Juan Barea getting drafted this year? I htink he is grossly overrated he averages 5 TO's a game and shoots poorly from beyond the arc

SportsNation Chad Ford: I don't think he'll be drafted. He's undersized, more of a scorer and the turnovers are a major problem. People are always trying to look for sleepers ... but I think NBA scouts will stay asleep on his game.

Tyminator (Lewisburg, PA): Is Quincy Douby the next Gilbert Arenas? He can light it up in an amazing number of ways.

SportsNation Chad Ford: I like Douby a lot ... just have questions about what type of team player he is. He's an undersized gunner. He's got a great array of skills, but he's going to have to prove he can help a team -- I think Flip Murray may be a better comparison.

Steve(Detriot): Your thoughts on Dee Brown?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Love his heart, but it's tough to draft a 5-10 guard in the first round who shoots 37 percent from the field. He'll be drafted pretty high in the second round I think.

Greg Arizona: Where do you see Hasan Adams falling in the draft.. What teams may be a good fit ?

SportsNation Chad Ford: He's tough to project. Scouts love his body and toughness. He's obviously a fantastic athlete. But he's not particularly skilled and is a little undersize at the two. He needs to quit shooting threes and focus on what he does well -- attack. May be the second coming of Greg Buckner ... but there are roles in the league for players like Adams. Right now he's a bubble first rounder.

Jason (Durham): Where is Shelden Williams likely to go in the draft? Thanks.

SportsNation Chad Ford: Can't see the Sonics passing on him if they don't grab one of the top three spots in the lottery.

Josh (Detroit): T.J. Ford was a 5-10 guard who couldnt shoot well and had injury questions and he was drafted in the top ten. How's that better than Dee Brown?

SportsNation Chad Ford: He was a pure point guard ... Brown isn't. He's progressed quite a bit this year, but Brown still is more of a scorer by nature.

Chris, San Jose: The last time the USA team was selecting a team, I thought AI was the best player to represent our country. A player that wanted to be there and played all out. This year, his numbers are even better than they were then with his assists and points up. I know his age may be an issue, but like fine wine, he's aging well. Why do you think he was over looked this time around?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Honestly, I'm with you. Iverson was actually one of the few players who was good for us last time around. I think it's an age thing. What Colangelo is really aiming towards is 2008 Olympics. In another two years, will those players be on the downhill slide?

Mike (NJ): Chad, any comments on Team USA preliminary roster?

SportsNation Chad Ford: Yes. One, they need more great shooters. I love Chris Sheridan, but when he said that Team USA solved that problem by adding guys like Arenas, Paul Pierce, Kobe Bryant and LeBron I did a double take. Those guys are good shooters (all around 35 percent from three) but not great ones. They need GREAT shooters. Why guys like Wally Szczerbiak, Kyle Korver and Mike Miller didn't get an invite to tryout is odd. Hopefully Rashard Lewis or Joe Johnson make the team. Second, the team needs a pure point guard. Arenas and Wade are really two guards. Chris Paul is the only guy on the team that qualified (I'm not including Luke Ridnour because I can't believe he's good enough to make this team). I think the overall quality of the team is better, but I still think that we're not putting together the right team for international ball.

SportsNation Chad Ford: Gotta run everyone. Let's do it again next week.
AUTOADVERT
chad ford chat wrap

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy