[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

It's Lima ti... I mean... Jackie Butler TIME!
Author Thread
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
3/2/2006  9:22 AM
For a 20 year old player to make the contributions he's made in limited minutes, the imagination wanders and visualizes Jackie with 25 meaningful minutes a night next to Lee and Frye.

Butler may look stiff but rebounds well and blocks a shot every now and then. He works.

When is the next game in Memphis?
once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/2/2006  9:29 AM
Can we all just say what we're thinking here. Bench Curry and start Butler at C. Curry needs a kick in the ass and Butler is playing well enough that he deserves a look to see what he can do as a starter.
MS
Member: #724
3/2/2006  9:31 AM
That should be the foward rotation for the rest of the season, Curry, Lee, Frye, and Butler....along with franics marbury nate, woods, and q

WHY IS JALEN ROSE ON THIS TEAM, i don't need to see crawford, rose, and taylor ever again there is no use for them, let them get paid
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/2/2006  9:32 AM
I still want to see Jackie BLue next to Curry not in A Hurry. Jackie banging could free up Eddy to deal.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/2/2006  9:33 AM
I like Butler. He plays hard and is young. But why does no one talk about the fact that he is FAT for an NBA player. He's almost as bad as Curry. With Curry, it's "laziness" but with Butler no one cares.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/2/2006  9:34 AM
^We didn't give up half the free world to acquire Jackie.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
3/2/2006  9:38 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I like Butler. He plays hard and is young. But why does no one talk about the fact that he is FAT for an NBA player. He's almost as bad as Curry. With Curry, it's "laziness" but with Butler no one cares.

I think you answered your own question there. He's fat but he's not lazy. He could definitely be a better player if he was in better shape though. I suspect he would've been drafted if that was the case.
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  9:38 AM
>>But why does no one talk about the fact that he is FAT for an NBA player.

Bonn - fat for an NBA player? Have you ever seen Jackie up close. He's not fat. Just a different body type than your prototypical perfect image.

Some guys are just not "cut". That does not translate into being "fat".

Jackie works his azz off inside, has a few post moves and does not back down from contact. What's not to like?
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  9:43 AM
>>I suspect he would've been drafted if that was the case.

VD - you suspect incorrectly.

Lazy has never been a word associated with Butler. Butler received some bad advice in high school with regards to his NBA draft position. His so-called advisors inflated his worth and he wound up caught with no place to go as a result. Another young man placing too much value in the opinion of aggressive agents.

He would be a junior in college.

He worked his way back via the CBA. Good for him.

bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/2/2006  9:43 AM
You guys need to relax with this Jackie Butler stuff. He's a back up as best PERIOD. No he should not be starting over Curry. He scored 8pts on 8 shots last night. Your shot attempts and points should never coincide.

He's horribly slow getting back on D, and he plays below the rim. Curry is waaaay more dominant. The problem with Curry lately has been the teams unwillingness to get him the ball and Brown not giving him enough minutes. He played 18 mins last night! Why! He got off to a good start, then Brown yanks him in the first quarter, then he doesn't come back into the game until about 2 mins left in the second.
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  9:46 AM
Position: C
Class: Early Entry
High School: Coastal Christian Academy (VA)
Ht., Wt.: 6'9, 263

BIO: Butler has spent time at three different high schools in his career. The Mississippi native was named the best player in the state in 2002 and 2003, making the 2003 McDonald's All-American team. Butler, who committed to Tennessee, spent this past school year at a pair of prep schools getting ready for this draft. Butler developed his national reputation playing for the Alabama Lasers AAU team. The 19-year-old has excellent hands and a great low-post presence. He still needs work on conditioning and adding to his repertoire.

ANALYSIS: Butler is one of the fastest-rising big men in the draft. Nearly every NBA official was impressed with him at Chicago, and he secured a spot for himself in the second round as a result.

POSITIVES: Butler has a body made for the NBA. Not only did he check in at 263 pounds at Chicago, but his frame is toned and muscular. Unlike most players his size, Butler has excellent agility. He never plays outside of his limitations and sticks to the stuff that you want your big man to do - rebound, block shots and score garbage buckets.

NEGATIVES: At 6-8 without shoes, one has to wonder if Butler is tall enough to play the pivot in the NBA. He lacks the mid-range or post game that you want out of your power forward, so he might be a downgrade at that position. Butler is also raw. He never played at a level of basketball any higher than prep school.

Prep School
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/2/2006  9:47 AM
this is why i like jackie blue...he knows how to use his body. he knows how to jump up without drawing a foul. he knows how NOT to jump up and keep his feet planted. he knows how to box out and he knows how to play some angles. he has a long way to go but those traits are something that are missing from our main center in curry.

kid is 20. didn't go to college and seems to have these "fundamentals" down. good for him. he has a long way to go but there are some good signs. he's cheap and we should keep him.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/2/2006  9:48 AM
all I can say is beware of the Trevor Ariza syndrome. Just because a guy looks hot for a short period doesnt mean anything. Just as Kevin Maas.

Frank Williams lit up the Lakers and prompted Kobe to go over to the scorers table and say who is this guy?
Our old buddy Ariza was great for furious defense, steals and dunks for stretches. Then when he played extended minutes he got exposed and fast.

I think JB is a great project. He plays very hard and that block last night after HE got blocked was spectacular, and I guarentee it got LB's attention. He's got soft hands and nice moves. Pretty funny the perspective it puts when you consider what we spend for JJ and how we would just have been better suited to work on JB.

Keep JB doing what he's doing. Practice hard, make the most of his opportunities.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  9:51 AM
From The Same Report

Workouts steal the show
by George Rodecker / June 10, 2004 - Camp Roster

All this talent at a gym not being run by the NBA speaks to the changes in the dynamics of the NBA draft. All the NBA people in attendance were extremely attentive and came away with a lasting impression of these kids. Come draft night, the workout may have proved to be a lightening rod for these four kids.

But back at the Moody Bible gym, the NBA was flashing its very best Chicago game face. In the opening game, settled by one point, Team 5 prevailed 79-78 over Team 6. For the winners, Nate Robinson tallied 22 points and Damien Wilkins chipped in with 17.

In the first of two night games, Team 1 prevailed over Team 2 91-83. The best performers were lone high schooler Jackie Butler (13 points and 10 boards), Tony Bobbitt (14 points) and PG Beno Udrih (13 points and 6 assists). Team 2 was led by 20 points from Andre Emmett, a second-year camp player.

GYM NOTES

Underclassmen dominate the conversation courtside as many experts try to determine who should go back and play out their remaining eligibility. Among those appearing to need more time to develop are Brandon Bass, off a 2-8 shooting experience which also included a cluster of bad decisions. Another player needing more hardwood schooling is Trevor Ariza of UCLA, who shows a lot of promise, but is raw on fundamentals.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2006  9:55 AM
Posted by MS:

That should be the foward rotation for the rest of the season, Curry, Lee, Frye, and Butler....along with franics marbury nate, woods, and q

WHY IS JALEN ROSE ON THIS TEAM, i don't need to see crawford, rose, and taylor ever again there is no use for them, let them get paid

I like this rotation but I still feel that Jalen could give us something more than Nate. Nate, when he makes a play and it works looks nice, but more often than not he disrupts. Jalen can play within the offense and play team ball.

Why you hate Jalen so much? He did make a bunch of bad play against Spurs but he hasn't been THAT bad.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/2/2006  9:56 AM
i think Jackie Butler is a better fit to complement a high scoring G tandem like Marbs & Francis, since he never stops working & seems to have a much better basketball IQ & picks things up quicker than Curry at this point.

i'm not saying to get rid of Curry, but if we're not going to commit to dumping the ball into the low post early & often to get Curry going & keep his head in the game, then Butler is probably a better fit to play off of a G dominated style offense... he seems to have a much better symmetry playing off of Marbury & Francis than Curry does at this point, whereas Curry plays better alongside Craw, so maybe being part of the 2nd unit would benefit him as well?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
USA
3/2/2006  9:56 AM
Posted by Marv:

I still want to see Jackie BLue next to Curry not in A Hurry. Jackie banging could free up Eddy to deal.

The one thing that I will add about Jackie is that he is more of a center than PF. And a lot of opposing PFs will stretch the defense all the way to the 3 point line, something Jackie _may_ have a hard time with.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/2/2006  10:20 AM
I saw JB up close on the floor at the Hawks game, this 6'8 without shoes is bullshyt.... he looked taller than both curry and frye....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
martin
USA
3/2/2006  10:22 AM
Posted by tkf:

I saw JB up close on the floor at the Hawks game, this 6'8 without shoes is bullshyt.... he looked taller than both curry and frye....

what?! really? I always got the feel that he was 6'10" at BEST.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/2/2006  10:33 AM
Check the official predraft measurements. With shoes on, butler measured 6'9.5"
It's Lima ti... I mean... Jackie Butler TIME!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy