[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

holy crap!! Larry remembered how to coach all of the sudden
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/2/2006  1:40 PM
i'm not going to defend LB's substitution patterns, dude... trust me, he's left me scratching my head on plenty of occasions, so i feel where ur coming from... i guess more than i think that's what his pattern will be like from here on out, it's more of what i HOPE it's going to be.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
3/2/2006  1:44 PM
>> how did (Qyntel) play in the 3rd qtr?

Not much and none in the 4th.

If is no apparent rhythm to Brown's substitution patterns from a distance

(meaning, it is NOT based on a reward system but a random-dart board philosophy)

Imagine how any employee respond to such a situation:

uncertainty or confidence?
once a knick always a knick
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  1:47 PM
TMS - I feel your pain

Remember back in December when Larry talked about reducing the rotation in the papers?

What does ho do the same night?

He plays twelve guys the same random way.

puzzling

How long have we been anticipating this mythical set rotation?

There is no rotation

Only audition

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2006  1:56 PM
Posted by misterearl:

Martin - are you suggesting that you sentence a veteran player to a DNP for an in-game mistake?

That, my passionate fellow Knicks bredren, is a sure-fire recipe for uptight basketball, uneccesary tension, dissention among Pine Brothers and internal strife

Is that really the goal?

I was just suggesting a possibility. We have no idea what goes on behind the scenes here at all. Strange how there was not a peep about it in the papers.

What if Brown quietly talked about it with Jalen after the game and Jalen blew up on the coach for no reason? Reward him with minutes?

I would have liked to seen either Woods or JRose instead of Craw on the court in the 3rd or 4th when Eddie was blowing it up.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
LarryBird
Member: #1098

3/2/2006  2:01 PM
What did they bring in Jalen Rose for if he isn't going to play?

There was no love lost between Jalen & Coach Brown when their paths crossed earlier in their respective careers in Indiana during the '96-'97 season. Jalen played the fewest minutes in his career that year, Larry's last coaching Indiana (to a mediocre 39-43 record).

In fact, Rose was in danger of being cut. Larry Bird revived Jalen's career.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/2/2006  2:02 PM
Posted by misterearl:

TMS - I feel your pain

Remember back in December when Larry talked about reducing the rotation in the papers?

What does ho do the same night?

He plays twelve guys the same random way.

puzzling

How long have we been anticipating this mythical set rotation?

There is no rotation

Only audition
well, since you mention it. All the employees we currently have
a) employees dumped by their former employees
b) have extensive histories of failing to produce
c) show up unprepared
d) are payed well above current market value

hmm... seems to be they should all just be happy to have a job. I know I would be.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
USA
3/2/2006  2:02 PM
Posted by LarryBird:

There was no love lost between Jalen & Coach Brown when their paths crossed earlier in their respective careers in Indiana during the '96-'97 season. Jalen played the fewest minutes in his career that year, Larry's last coaching Indiana (to a mediocre 39-43 record).

we got another draft pick to peddle for KG or Mose Malone

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2006  2:08 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by LarryBird:

we got another draft pick to peddle for KG or Mose Malone

I would love to be that pick on draft night. I would make out a t-shirt something like: "I cost $34M. And that's before I got paid."
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  2:32 PM
fish.mike Drama Fire Alarm

>>well, since you mention it. All the employees we currently have
a) employees dumped by their former employees

Lee, Frye, Nate, Jackie and Qyntel were ALL dumped? Dumped? C'mon.... now, Clarence Weatherspoon was dumped...

b) have extensive histories of failing to produce

Patently false. Extensive histories? So do Tracy McGrady, Kevin Garnett and scores of others... what is your definition of failing to produce? Making the Playoffs? Championships?

c) show up unprepared

Don't get me started on the coach's(es) responsibility for preparation...

d) are payed well above current market value

Big deal. That goes for the entire league. Next.

sheesh

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 03-02-2006 2:33 PM]
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  2:39 PM
fish.mike did you REALLY say market value?

C'mon dude, you're better than that...

What is the market value for an All-Star quality small forward?

What is this a seafood restaurant with fluctuating prices on king crab?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/2/2006  2:53 PM
i think it's clear that LB hasn't done a good job coaching this team this year, just as it's clear that the players have done a pisspoor job of giving full effort for 48 minutes every night... it works both ways... you can't exhonerate LB & place all the blame on the players... LB's got to do a better job of putting these guys into positions where they can be successful as well... that includes giving them a sense of continuity of roles by playing a set rotation... in a sense, make lemonade out of all these lemons... it's not an easy job no doubt, but he's not getting paid the highest coach's salary in all of sports for nothing... he's got to be accountable just like everyone of these underachieving players.

that said, i will not pronounce final judgement on LB so soon... he came here w/a HOF resume... he deserves more than just 3/4 of a season to turn this mess around.

[Edited by - TMS on 03-02-2006 2:53 PM]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
3/2/2006  3:10 PM
earl.. lets go back

well, since you mention it. All the employees we currently have

a) employees dumped by their former employees - exclude the draft picks. Duh. Nobody is talking about them. QWoods was most certainly dumped, unless you consider your former employer paying you not to come to work something other than dumped

b) have extensive histories of failing to produce - Of ALL our veterans, only Malik Rose has a winning record as an NBA player. Look at the URL in my sig. Evil posted some simply mind numbing numbers. Larry has been in more playoff games than all our vets combined. Wow

c) show up unprepared - your comment is funny. I guess its Larry's fault Curry, Jerome, Q, Mo Taylor all came into camp out of shape. That Crawford didnt add an ounce of muscle. I guess he wasnt being a good motivator? Now THATS funny. Maybe we could put those card board cut outs of Larry at every fried chicken outlet to ensure Jerome and Mo come into camp in good shape next year.

d) are payed well above current market value. Yes... this means we are either stuck with them or destined to take back horrific players/contracts back to trade them. It aint that complicated. We were in a hole. Now we are in an abyss, and will be until the philosophy changes.

pretty simple no?
rojasmas
Member: #639
3/2/2006  4:18 PM
LB is getting ten million a year to coach. He knew what was on the roster. He had enough confidence in his talent as a coach to take on the job. So why now the surprise that the team isn't cut in his mold? So all the other coaches who take crappy jobs for the money can hide behind the same lame excuse? The players just aren't getting it... there are no winners on this team... we need to overhaul the roster...
Come on. Great coaches are paid to improve what they have or what they inherit if they take on a new job. No different for Larry. He is failing. Yes the job is incomplete. But let's see if he has the guts to come back next year. Or will he merely take his ball and go home.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
fishmike
USA
3/2/2006  4:28 PM
tell that to Phil Jackson as Lamar Odom flounders in the triangle and Kwame the #1 pick Brown is accused of having a purse. I've been saying this for through fire Don Chaney, Fire Lenny and his rotations, Fire Herb for not playing the kids and now Fire Larry. Its the players players players players players players.

Now yes... Larry hasnt done a single thing worth mentioning this year in a positive note, but whatever it is he's trying to accoplish has more merit and experience behind it than anyone else in this organization.

So no... I'm not sitting here saying LB's done a good job, but I do believe he's the only one at any level in this organization thats got a clue about how to build or coach players into a winning bb team.
rojasmas
Member: #639
3/2/2006  4:37 PM
Phil Jackson is 29-29. LB is 15-42. Kobe Bryant is great, but LB should have this team somewhere within 5 games of .500.
We could be the Dallas Mavs of the East.
fishmike
USA
3/2/2006  6:40 PM
maybe next year he will
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
3/2/2006  6:50 PM
Posted by rojasmas:

Phil Jackson is 29-29. LB is 15-42. Kobe Bryant is great, but LB should have this team somewhere within 5 games of .500.

You would be suprised how many more wins a Kobe Bryant could of gotten these knicks, that streak of big time scoring games would of put us on a few more 6 game win streaks..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  6:55 PM
>>Larry hasnt done a single thing worth mentioning this year in a positive note, but whatever it is he's trying to accomplish has more merit and experience behind it than anyone else in this organization.

fishmike - I have no problem with Larry Brown's resume, his New York pedigree or his Billy Martin-like wanderlust

If Dolan has promised that no leadership changes are being made, what else can we can do but take deep breath and watch the rest of the story unfold?

My revolutionary first steps to get back to playing Knicks basketball is to cut the excess noise and hype during player introductions, eliminaion of the throwback uniform nights, cancelling the annual bowling party on Wenesday due to a remedial practice ("yeah, I'm talkin' bout practice... not the game... PRACTICE...") and donating 10 per cent of everyone's annual check to a NYC charity as a partial gesture of repentance.

But it will never happen

Bobby
Member: #408
USA
3/2/2006  10:04 PM
was it not larry's dream to coach the knicks before he retires from the game ?

..........sure, except larry's dream is now our nightmare
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
holy crap!! Larry remembered how to coach all of the sudden

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy