Marv- kinda mean-spirited for no apparent reason if you ask me

but what do I know?
once a knick always a knick
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/2/2006  9:05 AM
Earl - not my read. I think just a simple joking play on words.
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
3/2/2006  9:10 AM
Marv - okayfine. I'm better now

Francis - Woods - Lee - Frye - Butler

Next

Marbury - Mike Gansey WVa - tall talented Euro three to be named later - Curry
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
3/2/2006  9:29 AM
Posted by Rich:

I'd rather play Frye and Lee as many minutes as possible and live with the growing pains, since the team isn't winning anyway.
agreed and give Butler and Nate significant minutes too. Maybe Butler is finally getting some minutes.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/2/2006  10:02 AM
did you guys hear in the game Kenny Smith mentioned that UNC with Dean Smith started guys in their home town... and now Brown is doing it.

Maybe Brown is treating this like a college roster. Play hard and play smart: get minutes. Start in your home town. Sweat for me and play. Don't ask questions. Don't make same mistake over and over.

And when you'all start acting professional, I'll start treating you as such.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Bonn1997
USA
3/2/2006  10:05 AM
Posted by martin:

did you guys hear in the game Kenny Smith mentioned that UNC with Dean Smith started guys in their home town... and now Brown is doing it.

Maybe Brown is treating this like a college roster. Play hard and play smart: get minutes. Start in your home town. Sweat for me and play. Don't ask questions. Don't make same mistake over and over.

It's working pretty well!

Bonn1997
USA
3/2/2006  10:06 AM
Is Francis going to permanently be 6th man or is it just a temporary plan until he learns the plays better? Was Jalen hurt or has he fallen out of the rotation?
martin
USA
3/2/2006  10:20 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by martin:

It's working pretty well!

Bonn, I don't mean to beat this to death, but how else do you get total trust from your guys as a coach and at the same time teach them to play as a team (for which most have NOT done in their careers) and also show the young guys to play as professionals?

This is a tried and true method at the college level. You don't see it used in the NBA cause no GM/Coach has the balls to do it or the hammer to wield besides maybe Phil, Pop and Brown.
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  12:52 PM
>>This is a tried and true method at the college level.

It also works very well at the intramural and church league levels

But for nearly 100 games of an NBA pre and regular season?

At best one can label the practice 'unusual'

At worst - pure emotional chaos and indecision

why not roll out the Knicks Wheel Of Fortune to center court after the national anthem and have the talented and tempting Vanna White spin for tonight's starting lineup and substitution (cough) pattern?
martin
USA
3/2/2006  1:01 PM
Posted by misterearl:

>>This is a tried and true method at the college level.

It also works very well at the intramural and church league levels

But for nearly 100 games of an NBA pre and regular season?

At best one can label the practice 'unusual'

At worst - pure emotional chaos and indecision

why not roll out the Knicks Wheel Of Fortune to center court after the national anthem and have the talented and tempting Vanna White spin for tonight's starting lineup and substitution (cough) pattern?

hey man, Earth can still be flat if everyone says it is. There was good, hard evidence of WMDs too.

No one thought that you could win an NBA championship without a superstar. Brown did it.

It was a suggestion of what could be going through Brown's method. What's your explanation?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
3/2/2006  1:02 PM
and Earl we come full circle. Since under "traditional" NBA methods not a single one of the veterans on our roster save perhap Malik has proven they can play winning basketball. They are all losers. So now lets see if something different works. The simple fact is this group IS unprofessional. I think its appropriate that they are treated as such. Some guys arent going to play at times. If Jalen plays last night than Q doesnt. If Nate plays Crawford doesnt. So even with 10-11 guys playing a night somebody is going to get DNPs. Also you can expect a healthy dose of Malik and Q1 to continue because they play like they care everynight, on BOTH sides of the ball. They just arent any good, but they DO earn their minutes.

This talent people think our players have hasnt won them dick their whole careers (we maybe it did with Francis and Cuttino)

Time to try hard work and fundamentals.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  1:12 PM
Brown's method.

>>IWhat's your explanation?

Martin - my explanation is that Larry Brown is the kid with too many crayons.

Not the twelve or 24 pack.. His is the 64 crayola box with the built in sharpener.

Since all the crayons look the same to him, which doesn't imply they are "bad" crayons, he uses them all with equal random abandon.

His abstractions, although they contain a multitude of colors, lack a simple design - symmetry, rhythm and balance.

Instaed of prioritizing usage of certain color to create a desired effect - even if it is not the perfect color....

The overlapping colors become a blur of muddy tones as they all start to look dreary as they lose their individuality and verve.

(How else does one explain a DNP for Jalen Rose?)

Too many crayons being used at the same time without any rhythm

But that's just me

martin
USA
3/2/2006  1:19 PM
Posted by misterearl:

Brown's method.

>>IWhat's your explanation?

Martin - my explanation is that Larry Brown is the kid with too many crayons.

Not the twelve or 24 pack.. His is the 64 crayola box with the built in sharpener.

Since all the crayons look the same to him, which doesn't imply they are "bad" crayons, he uses them all with equal random abandon.

His abstractions, although they contain a multitude of colors, lack a simple design - symmetry, rhythm and balance.

Instaed of prioritizing usage of certain color to create a desired effect - even if it is not the perfect color....

The overlapping colors become a blur of muddy tones as they all start to look dreary as they lose their individuality and verve.

(How else does one explain a DNP for Jalen Rose?)

Too many crayons being used at the same time without any rhythm

But that's just me

what about Brown's side of things? When is any player gonna give consistant effort? When is any player gonna commit to defense? When is any player gonna play with heart on both ends? Who are the players that are playing within the team concept? Who is going to stop making the same mistakes I keep pointing out to them? Cause as soon as they do, I give them consistant minutes.

JRose made 3 bad turnovers at a critical time for the Knicks against the Spurs. One-on-one plays that broke the team structure. And on one of those plays - the one where he passed to MRose on a breakaway which was clearly a bad decision on Jalen's part, Jalen rolls his eyes as if to say "what a stupid player he is". You missed all of that?
oohah
Member: #887
3/2/2006  1:24 PM
The simple fact is this group IS unprofessional. I think its appropriate that they are treated as such.

I don't. To me, it is not about 'treating them professional' or unprofessional. It's about winning games. LB should play the style and players he needs to to win, even if it only adds up to a few more games.

I don't buy the 'teaching them for the future bit'. He doesn't want to teach them. LB would trade every bit of youth on this team if he could.

JRose made 3 bad turnovers at a critical time for the Knicks against the Spurs. One-on-one plays that broke the team structure. And on one of those plays - the one where he passed to MRose on a breakaway which was clearly a bad decision on Jalen's part, Jalen rolls his eyes as if to say "what a stupid player he is". You missed all of that?

As near as I can tell, LB wanted Jalen as much as anyone. In any case, how many games has Rose been here for? The losing predates him.

The Knicks have not been apathetic all season. over the first 28 games at 7-21 they played pretty hard, and NOBODY on this board was saying the players were not giving effort.

Yes the Knicks have apparently quit. But the season was over before they quitted.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  1:27 PM
Martin - are you suggesting that you sentence a veteran player to a DNP for an in-game mistake?

That, my passionate fellow Knicks bredren, is a sure-fire recipe for uptight basketball, uneccesary tension, dissention among Pine Brothers and internal strife

Is that really the goal?
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
3/2/2006  1:31 PM
LB's going to coach according to the flow of the game... if he sees that 1 player is clicking on the court over another, he's going to give minutes to that player... just like he did last night by playing Butler down the stretch over Curry.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
3/2/2006  1:33 PM
oohah, your entitled to your opinion. The problem is this nobody on this team has ever been "about winning games" except Malik Rose throughout their careers.
Martin - are you suggesting that you sentence a veteran player to a DNP for an in-game mistake?
That, my passionate fellow Knicks bredren, is a sure-fire recipe for uptight basketball, uneccesary tension, dissention among Pine Brothers and internal strife

Is that really the goal?
sure.. whatever it takes to make these guys actually THINK about what they are doing while on the court.

It comes back to D again. There's mistakes and bad decisions. Jalen Rose should have known better. Honest mistake? Fine, but he's not doing enough on the otherside of the ball to merit those mistakes accecptable. If your not going to play D or work away from the ball on offense then yea, you better be perfect cause your not doing enough to help the team. QWood's turn. Next up
oohah
Member: #887
3/2/2006  1:36 PM
LB's going to coach according to the flow of the game... if he sees that 1 player is clicking on the court over another, he's going to give minutes to that player... just like he did last night by playing Butler down the stretch over Curry.

If that is what LB is doing, he just started doing it recently. There have been so many times this season when a player is playing well and he gets yanked and doesn't see the light of day again (While other guys are sucking.), it ain't even funny.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 03-02-2006 1:38 PM]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
misterearl
USA
3/2/2006  1:38 PM
TMS - I dig the fact Jackie Butler got burn down the stretch.

But how do you explain Qyntel's torrid start, including the ESPN-quality dunk and his exile to the pine in the second half?

Help me out here

(thank you oohah)

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 03-02-2006 1:39 PM]
fishmike
USA
3/2/2006  1:39 PM
Posted by misterearl:

TMS - I dig the fact Jackie Butler got burn down the stretch.

But how do you explain Qyntel's torrid start, including the ESPN-quality dunk and his exile to the pine in the second half?

Help me out here

(thank you oohah)

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 03-02-2006 1:39 PM]
how did he play in the 3rd qtr?

holy crap!! Larry remembered how to coach all of the sudden

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy