[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

dido speaks...on zeke and racism (swiped from realgm)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/1/2006  11:41 AM
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=487031&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

"2 years in the job and everyone expect the man to perform magic. Folks failed to realize that it takes more than 3 years to build a winning team. I know that the players have dropped the ball and are currently playing without a heart, but why should Zeke be the one that gets blame for that? The coach is supposed to be the motivator, he is the one that puts in a different lineup on the court every night, why not jump on him instead? He was in complete control in the beginning, but his indecisiveness has lost him respect in the locker room. I don't give a darn if we were to have Jordan on this roster we would still be a disaster, because there is no one in this league that can play with a different lineup night in and night out. Guys who are producing have always found themselves on the bench the next game, because Brown feels like they are not doing enough; that is while the inconsistent ones are getting heavy minutes.

I know that Zeke brought in those players, but for god's sake, Brown is the coach. If those boys are not motivating to bring it every night, that should be blamed on Brown. I wonder if Zeke was white whether or not the media would have been on him like they are right now. They weren't like this with Layden and Checket....why not allow Zeke the same amount of time to make something happen before calling for his head???

I can't believe that in 2006 we are still as prejudice or racist...."

"You people are so affraid to talk about race it is crazy. that is why we will continue to have racism in this country, because every time someone raise the flag about color, everyone get intimidated....it is a reality....there is a reason why there are so few black owners or GMs in the NBA, NFL, NHL, ETC....Race does matter..."

AUTOADVERT
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
3/1/2006  11:46 AM
i'm glad he doesnt post here anymore...
mythfaze
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #106
3/1/2006  12:20 PM
I second that.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/1/2006  12:33 PM
Yeah the media was never on Scott Layden while he was GM. Layden was ultimately fired while Don Chaney was the coach, if there was racism then Chaney would have been fired instead of Layden. Isiah is a terrible GM, thats, it doesn't go beyond that.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 03-01-2006 12:41 PM]
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
NYK3
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #725
USA
3/1/2006  12:39 PM
Posted by jaydh:

I agree, but whats the reason he doesnt post here anymore?
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers!!!
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
3/1/2006  12:42 PM
Posted by NYK3:
Posted by jaydh:

I agree, but whats the reason he doesnt post here anymore?

If I'm not mistaken, he left becuase people made fun of him alot. With his post from RealGM, I can see why they did.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
BRIGGS
Member: #303
3/1/2006  12:45 PM
who did a better job as a GM, Rob Babco** or IT? If Im not mistaken Rob B came into a situation where he was forced to trade Carter and had no cap room
RIP Crushalot😞
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
3/1/2006  1:30 PM
I have noticed a particular anti-Isiah feeling among white sports journalists that exceeds their criticisms of other ill-performing GMs. I don't know if it's race, or something else, but Isiah is a real target for some people's criticism and mean-spiritedness.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/1/2006  1:35 PM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

I have noticed a particular anti-Isiah feeling among white sports journalists that exceeds their criticisms of other ill-performing GMs. I don't know if it's race, or something else, but Isiah is a real target for some people's criticism and mean-spiritedness.

Gee, do you think it has to do with Isiah's complete ineptitude? What other "ill-performing GM's" are currently tied for the fewest wins in the entire league and have a payroll in excess of $125MM with the luxury tax not even factored in? I'm not even going to mention the sexual harrassment case against him. Oh wait, I just did. Why is it so hard to admit that Isiah deserves all of the criticism that he's getting and not blame it on something as ugly as race?
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
3/1/2006  1:38 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

who did a better job as a GM, Rob Babco** or IT? If Im not mistaken Rob B came into a situation where he was forced to trade Carter and had no cap room

Even if he was forced to trade an asset, just like Indiana, don't mean you have to be taken, just as Indiana was NOT (or at least not completely taken).
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
3/1/2006  1:43 PM
Why does it always have to be a black/white issue? Maybe its the fact that Zeke was brought in as high profile - then he made high profile moves, Steph - Craw, Brown, Q, Curry, Rose, Francis. He brought the spotlight back to NY and with it came blame. It has nothing to do with his skin color.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
BRIGGS
Member: #303
3/1/2006  1:45 PM
Posted by MaulingandAppalling:

thats why i brought up rob babcock he got it much worse than isiah he had much less time than isiah and he did a better johb than isiah. bringing up race here is a terrible excuse, awful injustice to real racism. this is an individual who is paid multi millions who was revered when he came in here and he did a lousy job, maybe the worst job in sports history. thats the bottom line nothing to do with skin color. on top of it, isiah is a but smug and acts indifferent towards NY knick fans, like we are stupid. hes a used car salesman a bit slimy and that goes way back with him CBA Raptors etc...
RIP Crushalot😞
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/1/2006  1:49 PM
Gee, do you think it has to do with Isiah's complete ineptitude? What other "ill-performing GM's" are currently tied for the fewest wins in the entire league and have a payroll in excess of $125MM with the luxury tax not even factored in? I'm not even going to mention the sexual harrassment case against him. Oh wait, I just did. Why is it so hard to admit that Isiah deserves all of the criticism that he's getting and not blame it on something as ugly as race?

You can acknowledge his terrible performance here but also question whether race plays a factor in the level of vitriole, can't you?

I'm trying to think of who else has been similarly skewered.

I think Krause was. They had a field day with him once Chicago fell apart and he couldn't rebuild them for s**t.

I think the guy in Atlanta (Billy King?) is just getting skewered now. Jim Paxson was totally hung out to dry over the Boozer fiasco, wasn't he?

McHale is getting his rump roasted pretty regularly now.

Elgin Baylor for years has been looked at as a joke.

Seems like a mix of black and white. Some have personalities that have probably turned off a lot of press (Isiah, Krause). Most have seriously underperformed in what they've delivered. Some have made moves that have seemed dumbass or just without much planning.

Most are in big market cities.

I wouli venture this guess - the press is so over-saturated and there's so much emphasis on snippy stories that promote the "voice" of the writer, that anyone who fails is an immediate target, and is going to get inspected, dissected, picked apart , frenzy-fed upon, etc. If some writers have racial beefs, that'll find its way into the "voice' as well. But you have big failure in a big market and you are screwed, man.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2006  2:00 PM
I think race does play in. I feel like the black guys feel like they must defend Isiah.

I think everyoine piled on Layden. Might be the blacks guys just a bit more.

I Felt like the black guys jumped on the Isiah bandwagon because he was black.

Isiah has fought a tough road to fame. He was brash coming up and made enemies. White and black. Brash white guys make enemies too! His career after playing has not faired to well and some questioned his hiring based on those performances.

WE had three black coaches, I don't think most saw color there.

As to Larry and his rotations, might we give the man some due and perhaps give him some benefit of the doubt that he might find this blend of players so lacking in many ways that he can't put a team together that

MEETS HIS HIGHER STANDARDS THEN PERHAPS MOST BASKETBALL COACHES WOULD ACCEPT AND HIS BIG ASS CONTRACT GIVES HIM THE LEVERAGE TO NOT ACCEPT A LESSOR ROTATION?

IF this is so, then Isiah is way at fault for creating this environment. We have players who have big contracts not living up to their abilities. ANd he has been bringing them in for two and a half seasons. It was last years problem and this year its even worse.

Dolan was not wrong to hire Isiah but was wrong to hire him with a plan. Hiring Larry proves this. Larry took the money and I think they both set out to see what they got and then sort it out. Not the kind of plan I think makes sense. Dolan is a fool and looks stupid.

How to fix it.........Let it run its course. But Maybe with Larry on the books, you are forced to have a plan. Its a plan. That we should be grateful for.

[Edited by - nalod on 03-01-2006 2:21 PM]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
3/1/2006  2:00 PM
I think race does play in. I feel like the black guys feel like they must defend Isiah.

I think everyoine piled on Layden. Might be the blacks guys just a bit more.

I Felt like the black guys jumped on the Isiah bandwagon because he was black.

Isiah has fought a tough road to fame. He was brash coming up and made enemies. White and black. Brash white guys make enemies too! His career after playing has not faired to well and some questioned his hiring based on those performances.

WE had three black coaches, I don't think most saw color there.

As to Larry and his rotations, might we give the man some due and perhaps give him some benefit of the doubt that he might find this blend of players so lacking in many ways that he can't put a team together that..........

MEETS HIS HIGHER STANDARDS THEN PERHAPS MOST BASKETBALL COACHES WOULD ACCEPT AND HIS BIG ASS CONTRACT GIVES HIM THE LEVERAGE TO NOT ACCEPT A LESSOR ROTATION!

IF this is so, then Isiah is way at fault for creating this environment. We have players who have big contracts not living up to their abilities. ANd he has been bringing them in for two and a half seasons. It was last years problem and this year its even worse.

Dolan was not wrong to hire Isiah but was wrong to hire him with out a plan. Hiring Larry proves this. Larry took the money and I think they both set out to see what they got and then sort it out. Not the kind of plan I think makes sense. Dolan is a fool and looks stupid.

How to fix it.........Let it run its course. But Maybe with Larry on the books, you are forced to have a plan. Its a plan. That we should be grateful for.

[Edited by - nalod on 03-01-2006 2:04 PM]
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
3/1/2006  2:16 PM
Posted by Marv:

You can acknowledge his terrible performance here but also question whether race plays a factor in the level of vitriole, can't you?

I'm trying to think of who else has been similarly skewered.

I think Krause was. They had a field day with him once Chicago fell apart and he couldn't rebuild them for s**t.

I think the guy in Atlanta (Billy King?) is just getting skewered now. Jim Paxson was totally hung out to dry over the Boozer fiasco, wasn't he?

McHale is getting his rump roasted pretty regularly now.

Elgin Baylor for years has been looked at as a joke.

Seems like a mix of black and white. Some have personalities that have probably turned off a lot of press (Isiah, Krause). Most have seriously underperformed in what they've delivered. Some have made moves that have seemed dumbass or just without much planning.

Most are in big market cities.

I wouli venture this guess - the press is so over-saturated and there's so much emphasis on snippy stories that promote the "voice" of the writer, that anyone who fails is an immediate target, and is going to get inspected, dissected, picked apart , frenzy-fed upon, etc. If some writers have racial beefs, that'll find its way into the "voice' as well. But you have big failure in a big market and you are screwed, man.

I'll give you someone in the same building as Isiah. Glen Sather. He's been killed just the same way Isiah is starting to. Especially after his moronic comment as the Edmonton GM that if he had the payroll of the Rangers, he'd win the Stanley Cup every year.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
3/1/2006  2:30 PM
I'm Black and I think that Race is still a huge problem in the world, however, in this case IT was disliked in general due to his personality and past performance. Now he's being blasted again for his performance.

I do however agree with everything that was said until the Race card was played. This team has some players on it and should NOT be this bad. LB messed this thing up from day one. He never really got it right, with the exception of the 6 game win streak. He never showed the guts or mental toughness to stick with a lineup and see it thru. Like his statements that he was going to play the young guys and then he didn't. I'm gonna start Frye and then he didn't. He had Lee on the inactive list to start the season, then he had him starting and the team was winning games and then he sat him again for who knows what reason. Now you can blame Zeke for a lot of things, but how this team was run day to day isn't one of them. That is LB's fault. Forget about race unless its really an issue, which in this case its not.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
3/1/2006  2:35 PM
i don't think lb messed up at all. i think zeke messed up HIRING lb in the first place b/c there's a CLEAR mismatch in talent to the coach. team has no defensive players, and lb starts everything with defense. look no further to why it's a clusterf ck.
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
3/1/2006  2:40 PM
This is the good ol' USA and race is always a factor. It's not something we can get away from just by wishing it wasn't so.

https:// It's not so hard.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/1/2006  2:41 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

i don't think lb messed up at all. i think zeke messed up HIRING lb in the first place b/c there's a CLEAR mismatch in talent to the coach. team has no defensive players, and lb starts everything with defense. look no further to why it's a clusterf ck.

So then why did Larry take the job, besides money and locale? Is he evry bit as headstrong as Isiah? Does he crave controversy and conflict oand power struggles?? Is he oblivious to these issues and truly clueless and dumbstruck about having earned the nickname Next Town Brown?
dido speaks...on zeke and racism (swiped from realgm)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy