[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anyone in the draft a better prospect than Curry?
Author Thread
efw
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1002

3/1/2006  11:32 AM
I wouldn't take anybody in this draft over Curry - especially if we needed a center. Which we did, desperately, before we got him.

Eddy does make dumb mistakes but I still think he can learn and improve to become a really important piece of the future.

Eddy is one of the least significant problems this team has. Our problem is our guards. We don't have anybody who knows how to get players involved in the game and how to get the most out of them. We have "glory" guards - players who want to be the focal point of the team. They don't realize that they can be the most important (and most visible) player on the floor by supporting everyone else. Nash, Kidd, Paul all help their team both physically and mentally.

We need a guard who knows exactly what it takes to get a certain player going. Jamal has that attitude - he wants to get everybody involved. He just can't execute.

Of course, this is easier said than done. Those type of players are extremely rare - more rare, i dare say, than a 20-10 post player.
AUTOADVERT
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

3/1/2006  11:32 AM
ERIC WILLIAMS?! this guy is not even going to be picked in the first round, please!

Eddy Curry is 23yrs, and is playing with abunch of shoot first guards who coulnd't pass it into the post if their family's life depended on it.

Where's the penetration, drawing of defenders and dishing? Where are the weak side screens for Curry, which would enable him to come across the lane to the strong side and get deep position in the paint? And where are the shot attempts. This man has been averaging about 6-7 shots a game over the last week and a half.

I watched him single handedly damn near foul out the entire SAn An front line (including Duncan). If the Knicks were at all competitive in that game, Duncans foul woes could have been a difference maker. Please don't tell me Eric Williams or some other draft pick is getting Dunacn in foul trouble.

BTW 2-3 inches makes a huge difference. Go ask Mike Sweetney!

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-01-2006 11:33 AM]
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/1/2006  11:33 AM
It's the 2 picks that we gave up. Not just this years. We really killed ourselves with this one.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
McK1
Member: #964
3/1/2006  11:37 AM
I agree about the guard problem.

too bad even if guys like Foye and Ager are drafted by NY,

Mush has 3 yrs 60 mill left on his contract

Crawful 5 years 44 mill

Brickerson 4 years 33 mill

Francois 3 years 50 mill
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
3/1/2006  11:38 AM
[quote]
Posted by bigbeast:

ERIC WILLIAMS?! this guy is not even going to be picked in the first round, please!

Eddy Curry is 23yrs, and is playing with abunch of shoot first guards who coulnd't pass it into the post if their family's life depended on it.

Where's the penetration, drawing of defenders and dishing? Where are the weak side screens for Curry, which would enable him to come across the lane to the strong side and get deep position in the paint? And where are the shot attempts. This man has been averaging about 6-7 shots a game over the last week and a half.

I watched him single handedly damn near foul out the entire SAn An front line (including Duncan). If the Knicks were at all competitive in that game, Duncans foul woes could have been a difference maker. Please don't tell me Eric Williams or some other draft pick is getting Dunacn in foul trouble.

BTW 2-3 inches makes a huge difference. Go ask Mike Sweetney!

Do i think eric williams can put up 13 and 6 in the nba? yes, i do. Mike Sweetney has hurt a promising career because he will not address his weight issues, hes much more skilled and much tougher than eddy
RIP Crushalot😞
bigbeast

3/1/2006  11:42 AM
Give Curry Chris Paul, or any pg who understands the unique value of having a legit post player in this league, and I'm certian Curry's numbers increase significantly.

Knicks go too many trips on the offensive end and forget about him. This backcourt is all wrong for Curry.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
3/1/2006  11:43 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

Do i think eric williams can put up 13 and 6 in the nba? yes, i do. Mike Sweetney has hurt a promising career because he will not address his weight issues, hes much more skilled and much tougher than eddy

Sweets was SO promising his rookie year. You take 40 pounds off that body and you have a dynamic low-post scorer and rebounder. I hope the guy gets it together whereever he is but if he's not then I'm especially glad to see him gone - it's too frustrating to watch all that talent go down the drain a la TT.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
3/1/2006  11:47 AM
I don't call it a la TT, b/c he still worked his butt off on the court. Tim Thomas didn't.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
david west is what i thought sweets would evolve into.
BRIGGS
Posted by bigbeast:

Give Curry Chris Paul, or any pg who understands the unique value of having a legit post player in this league, and I'm certian Curry's numbers increase significantly.

Knicks go too many trips on the offensive end and forget about him. This backcourt is all wrong for Curry.

what great PGs did shaq and ewing have? or any other great pivot? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
RIP Crushalot😞
efw
Member: #1002

3/1/2006  11:57 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by bigbeast:

what great PGs did shaq and ewing have? or any other great pivot? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shaq had Fisher and Penny Hardaway. Different styles but both equally effective in a system designed around Shaq. But more importantly, Curry will never be as good as those two hall of fame centers.

What I was getting at was that a truly great PG would bring out the best in Curry - would realize his potential that we all see. He would probably score over 20-25 points a game and maybe pull down 8 boards.

With a lesser PG, ala Fisher, Ward, Snow, etc. Curry has to be more demanding and adept at getting into a position to receive the ball - something he has not shown the willingness or skills to do. Compound this fact with our shoot-first guards and you have an ineffective center. But, as I said before, Eddy is among the least of our problems.
BRIGGS
3/1/2006  12:01 PM
Posted by efw:
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by bigbeast:

Shaq had Fisher and Penny Hardaway. Different styles but both equally effective in a system designed around Shaq. But more importantly, Curry will never be as good as those two hall of fame centers.

What I was getting at was that a truly great PG would bring out the best in Curry - would realize his potential that we all see. He would probably score over 20-25 points a game and maybe pull down 8 boards.

With a lesser PG, ala Fisher, Ward, Snow, etc. Curry has to be more demanding and adept at getting into a position to receive the ball - something he has not shown the willingness or skills to do. Compound this fact with our shoot-first guards and you have an ineffective center. But, as I said before, Eddy is among the least of our problems.

Eddye Curry has 2 offensive foulsin 5-6 minutes every other game--hes very consistent with it because his skills and conditioing are limited. can he get 25-12 yes and just as likely to go 6 points 3 rebounds 5 fouls the next game
RIP Crushalot😞
bigbeast

3/1/2006  12:03 PM
Ever heard of Mark Jackson? I believe he is 4th all time in assist. One of the best pure pgs of the last 3 decades.

Charlie Ward isn't great by any stretch of the imagination, but was a selfless pass first pg who understood his role and was a part of a TEAM, and wasn't caught up in any individual self indulgance on the court.

Instead of saying the backcourt is all wrong for Curry, I should have said this TEAM OF INDIVIDUALS is all wrong for a post player.

Too many selfish individual acts on this team. When Ewing dominated, he was option 1, 2 and 3. Oak knew his role and wasn't going to shoot much. Neither was Childs or Ward or Mason. Starks was the only other option. Because of this, Ewing averaged about 18-22 shots per game.

Even Shaq played on a Laker team understood there roles. Other than Kobe, Shaq got all the shots. Fox wasn't shooting much, neither was Horry, or Harper and ......you get the point.

Francis, Marbury, Rose, Frye, Taylor, Craw...what these guys roles on this team. Befroe they were brought in, they were all either the first or second option on there teams. This not the type pof team you build around a post player

bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
3/1/2006  12:05 PM
Potenial is dangerous.

Potential can be Amare, or it can be Tsikoladis.

This team is FULL of potential and talent. Doesn't mean **** though.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
3/1/2006  12:05 PM
good post bigbeast.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
McK1
3/1/2006  12:08 PM
does Curry want to put up 20 shots a night?

does he have the stamina to?
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
bigbeast

3/1/2006  12:17 PM
Posted by McK1:

I'm sick of everyone questioning this guys work ethic. None of us follow this guy around with a reality TV camera, so all we have to go by, is what we see on the court.

And on the court, its clear Curry has lost 20-30 lbs since October. It's clear he's being surrounded everytime he touches the ball (because we don't have any shooters on this team) and is attempting to pass the ball back out.

He also said that he hired a nutritionist. The man is trying and thats all we have to go on. Curry is far from the problem on this team. In fact, he's one of the solutions, when and if the rest of the residue is hopefully removed out from under those blue and orange uniforms.

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-01-2006 12:18 PM]
BRIGGS
3/1/2006  12:29 PM
Posted by bigbeast:
Posted by McK1:

I'm sick of everyone questioning this guys work ethic. None of us follow this guy around with a reality TV camera, so all we have to go by, is what we see on the court.

And on the court, its clear Curry has lost 20-30 lbs since October. It's clear he's being surrounded everytime he touches the ball (because we don't have any shooters on this team) and is attempting to pass the ball back out.

He also said that he hired a nutritionist. The man is trying and thats all we have to go on. Curry is far from the problem on this team. In fact, he's one of the solutions, when and if the rest of the residue is hopefully removed out from under those blue and orange uniforms.

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-01-2006 12:18 PM]

Work ethic? How many rebounds does Eddy Curry average--how many block shots? how many offensive fouls how's his defense? he rebounds like a guard, he doesnt block shots his defense is poor--these are effort stats and there is no excuse there my man. Steve francis pulls down more rebounds than Eddy Curry. stop posting jibber there is a reason why eddy pulls down 6 rebounds and 13 points
RIP Crushalot😞
bigbeast

3/1/2006  12:57 PM
Rebounding and blocking shots is more than effort. Blocking shots is about impeccable timing, and rebounding is about exquisite positioning.

Does Curry need work on his timing and positioning? Absolutely. But it has nothing to do with effort. I see Curry jumping at everything, leaving his feet as a help defender but fails to get the block because his timing is off and, to be frank, he doesn't have great lift and just is not a great shot-blocker.

Alonzo, Ben and Hakeem are the three of the best shot blockers I ever seen. All three have great timing. They jump after there man jumps. They all block shots with either hand, depending on the angle and usually, they block shots as help defenders. It doesn't hurt that they all are great atheletes. Curry doesn't have great foot-speed to be a great help defender at this point and doesn't understand the angles, doesn't understand when to jump, when to wait, and how to block a shot before the ball gets mid flight in the air.

I've seen Alonzo block shots as soon as it leaves the shooters hand which means he's blocking the shot before it reaches the height of its flight. Curry doesn't have the lift on most occassions to snatch a ball out of the air at the height of its flight.

As far as rebounding is concerned, Curry gets poor positioning. Clyd Frazier points it almost every game. For some reason, when the ball goes up, Curry runs under the basket to box out. The only way he could get the rebound boxing out under the basket is if the ball goes threw the basket.

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-01-2006 12:58 PM]

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-01-2006 1:50 PM]
McK1
3/1/2006  1:44 PM
Posted by bigbeast:

Rebounding and blocking shots is more than effort. Blocking shots is about impeccable timing, and rebounding is about exquisite positioning.

Does Curry need work on his timing and positioning? Absolutely. But it has nothing to do with effort. I see Curry jumping at everything, leaving his feet as a help defender but fails to get the block because his timing is off and, to be frank, he doesn't have great lift and just is not a great shot-blocker.

Alonzo, Ben and Hakeem are the three of the best shot blockers I ever seen. All three have great timing. They jump after there man jumps. They all block shots with either hand, depending on the angle and usually, they block shots as help defenders. It doesn't hurt that they all are great atheletes. Curry doesn't have great foot-speed to be a great defender at this point and doesn't understand the angles, doesn't understand when to jump, when to wait, and how to block a shot before the ball gets mid flight in the air.

I've seen Alonzo block shots as soon as it leaves the shooters hand which means he's blocking the shot before it reaches the height of its flight. Curry doesn't have the lift on most occassions to snatch a ball out of the air at the height of its flight.

As far as rebounding is concerned, Curry gets poor positioning. Clyd Frazier points it almost every game. For some reason, when the ball goes up, Curry runs under the basket to box out. The only way he could get the rebound boxing out under the basket is if the ball goes threw the basket.

[Edited by - bigbeast on 03-01-2006 12:58 PM]

on offense Curry can get up to catch and throw down be it forward or reverse damn near any lob thrown to him, yet on defense he doesn't have the lift.

I remember 1 play where against the Suns where he caught the ball turned and did a quick hop step between two defenders raised and dunk. If he is able to pull off the timing agility and explosiveness to perform that move, he is able to play in the paint on the other end as well.
Anyone in the draft a better prospect than Curry?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy