[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Spurs guy Parker... what was he like his first few years?
Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/27/2006  1:48 AM
Seems like Pop was on this guy every minute yelling and taking him out of games and giving him not so consistant minutes. That true? My recollection is off.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
FrenchKnicks
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #147
France
2/27/2006  1:52 AM
He became the main PG after 9 games because of injury if I remember correctly. Everyone was talking about him and Tinsley of Indiana at that time. He got to play a lot of minutes early and Popovich took him under his wing although yeah, Tony says he's yelling at him all the time.

I think he played a lot of minutes early on, but at times Pop would not let him finish games and let a more experienced point guard in the last 4 minutes or so.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/27/2006  1:56 AM
I am sure he was always yelled at my Pop, and he made a ton of mistakes. What I do remember though, is that I went to a Knicks game against the Spurs (Knicks won) during his rookie season, and nobody on our team could stay in front of him. The guy was mega fast and really good, but obviously raw at the time. I also remember a guy who couldn't sniff enough pine time, but played in place of Steve Smith AND Bruce Bowen, when Allan Houston got them BOTH in foul trouble. He prolly played like 5 minutes. This was a guy by the name of Manu Ginoboli. 3 months later, he friggin' kicked ars in the playoffs, and helped dethrone the 3 time championship Lakers, and I was shocked that this was the same guy. Looks like the Spurs made out alright with those 2 stupid young idiots who had just raw potential, and made a million mistakes a game.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
2/27/2006  1:57 AM
claxton outplayed parker during that championship run. pop would take out parker and put in clax. tony parker has just started playing under control within the past 2 seasons
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/27/2006  1:59 AM
Claxton played great during those playoffs, and now he's doing good in New Orleans. Nice player to have.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
2/27/2006  5:09 AM
Are we making the comparison to Nate? If so, I think it's pretty valid. Tony is the league leader in fg% and points in the paint. So if you think about the fact that every drive he's giving up a foot in height, you can say that if Nate makes the same adjustments Tony did, he will be alright.

One difference is that Parker has no outside shot to speak of, while Nate is a legit 3 point threat. And Parker has better passing instincts then Nate, although he's no-one's prototype point guard.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/27/2006  9:23 AM
tony is like 6-4 now.

Nate is a role player at best.
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
2/27/2006  10:53 AM
tony is 6'4 if you're BRIGGS. he's 6 or 6'1 max. the comparison is there imo, especially their style of play.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Spurs guy Parker... what was he like his first few years?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy