[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

I think change will happen at the garden
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
8/9/2002  12:44 PM
If anyone thought that the signings of Weatherspoon Andersen Eisley and Houston to 250,000,000 dollars worth of long term contracts wasnt going to one day have a material effect on the economics of the Knicks you are out of your gizzard. The combination of these bad signings no brutal signings the inability to find some role players in the draft over the last 4 years and having every single rotation player making multi millions whether they play or not is just not good business. I know there are some who applaud the Mcdyess trade but if you look at the NBA as a whole--you take a realistic look at the Knick franchise and a good business man would've gone to the draft and left the 12.5mm dollar Mcdyess contract with the suspect knees alone. We need DESPERATELy to bring in young players who will grow into the team and find the right blend of role players who actually make role player salary and complement the team.

Ill say this if any of you guys/girls owned the Knicks would you have spent 3 years and what will amount to be somewhere between 10-11 mm dolars on Doleac? Every dollar they pay him is doubled because of the luxury tax as an owner of a business does this guy really have the talent to justify the$$$$$? I would never do it. I would want my GM to have IN place a direct plan to substitute players for X amount of dollars if he was going to make a massive trade. The only way as an owner that i would've let him trade for Mcdyess wouldve been to have him clear out atleast Andersens or eisley contract. Camby has 2 years left on his deal and so does mark jackson[who by the way cost us an extra 5 mm and the #21 pick in the draft which couldve been q woods or Ninad Kritec etc..]

the player as a GM that i would target right now is Stromile Swift. he is 6-9 1/4 in bare feet which means he is probably 6-10 1/2 in sneakers and according to the draft capsule he has a 7-4 wing span. he is 21 years old and averaged 12 points 7 rebounds and 2 blocks in 26 mts. memphis has to many 6-10 players stromile makes 6mm for the next 2 years on his contract. I don't see anything resembling a Shaq or Duncan coming in the draft and having a player who is 6-10 in the pivot in the East makes a ton of sense.

let our GM use Othella Harrington Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward plus if needed Denvers second roundpick or evebn a lottery protected first round pick to land Stromile who is all of 21 and a good point guard perhaps in a sign and trade. Memphis has already said they want to dump him---instead of going after centers who are 37 years ols or centers who have serious kidney problems. lets intergate youth here--if layden doesnt want to do this he should be fired. No more writing absurd checks and this was a major hit to the Layden regime as is when Dolan nullified the deal for mutumbo and thank god he did.

We need to eliminate salary and intergrate quality youth. And for anyone ho thinks Stomile Swift is a PF take a look at his original draft capsule he is 6-91/4 and 6-10 1/2 in sneakers with a 7-4 wingspan. he is tallera nd longer than nazr mohammend and the stiff adonald foyle. No he isnt 7-2 but a 6-10 player who can score rebound and block shots and is 21 years old is the way to go. the last game of the season he put up 33 pts 10 rebounds and 3 blocks. hes got the talent in the pivot to compliment Mcdyess and also hedges against mcdyess injury and a player we can have for 15 years.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/9/2002  12:55 PM
Stromile would be a good fit, with the grizz they are disapointed in his offense but the knicks would want him for his defensive presence anyway so it would be a good fit.

They wouldn't want a PF in return though, so it would be a 3way trade to make it happen.
nyvector16
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #130
USA
8/9/2002  1:03 PM
Nice post Briggs. That's what I call a level headed analysis of a deeply toubling and disturbing age/cap situation of our beloved Knicks. I would give them Denver's 2nd rounder plus Any of our backups for Swift. Basically I'd tell them take your pick of anyone but Thomas and the core three. I'd throw in a second rounder after some wheelin and Dealin to spice up the deal and then hit them with an ultimatum of now or never.. With the Pressure on, perhaps we could land a sweet deal. Anyways... Go Knicks!
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/9/2002  2:24 PM
stro would be a really good pickup for us i think. how to get him is a mystery though.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/9/2002  2:45 PM
The Knicks salary cap situation really isn't that bad. The luxury tax wasn't even instituted last year, and there are chances of it not affecting teams again this year, in which case the Knicks being over the cap doesn't even matter. LJ and Longley come off after this season. After 2003-2004, McDyess, Ward, and Knight are gone. (That's why the McDyess trade really wasn't that risky, if it doesn't work out he's gone in 2 seasons, or he could be traded before then to a team needing a big man.) After 2004-2005, Sprewell, Thomas, and Harrington are all gone. Meaning, the 2005-2006 season the Knicks payroll will be hovering over the salary cap, probably between $55 and $60 million, with the cap being near $47-$52 if it increases each year.

Giving up Thomas, Ward, and 2nd or 1st rounder for Stro Swift won't happen, just looking at the Knicks situation.

A)Looking at the Knicks draft, they want to contend now. If they didn't, they would've kept the 7th pick and waited for Hilario to develop. Since they traded for an All-Star 28 year old, it's clear they are in a "win-now" stage. Looking at this and seeing they might be able to land Nick Van Exel, a proven veteran (and for less talent), I can't see why they would give up all of that for an unproven player in Stro Swift, who might not even be able to play C. He's played PF his entire pro career.
B)Why would the Grizzlies trade Swift and not really get anything back, when he still has the potential to be a real good player.
C)This is all speculation, nothing has been reported of Stro Swift even being on the trading block, and trying to trick Jerry West into giving up something for nothing isn't going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have Swift, but not for the price of Thomas/Ward/and a first or 2nd rounder.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 08/09/2002 14:46:07]
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
8/9/2002  4:04 PM
When I say use thomas ward othella a draftpick what I mean is a reasonable combination that would satisfy a trade. A trade that I believe we can do would be moving Thomas and Denvers second round pick to Chicago Crawford to Memphis and Stromile to NY. I think thats a trade that all three clubs would benefit from and it works within the LCBA
RIP Crushalot😞
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
8/9/2002  5:00 PM
http://www.hoopshype.com/salaries/new_york.htm

for a clear picture of the knicks salary purgatory
Explosive23
Member: #184
United Kingdom
8/9/2002  6:09 PM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

What do "qualifying offer" and "80% scale offer" mean?
knicksbabyyeah
Netherlands
8/9/2002  6:48 PM
80% scale offer, can't help you there.

try

http://statsc.freeservers.com/nba_index.html

for all the CBA questions.

A qualifying offer is only applicable to rookies. When their contract ends you can give them a qualifying offer, which makes them a restricted FA. If they sign the qualifying offer it's a one year extension on their rookie deal and when it's run it's course they are a unrestricted FA. Olowokandi for instance has gotten a qualifying offer, if he takes it he'll be a clipper this year and a unrestricted FA next year so he can walk without the clips getting anything in return, they won't have the right to match.
nwny
Member: #284
8/9/2002  9:25 PM
Posted by Explosive23:
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

What do "qualifying offer" and "80% scale offer" mean?
80% of the average NBA Salary
nwny
8/9/2002  9:37 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

We need to eliminate salary and intergrate quality youth. And for anyone ho thinks Stomile Swift is a PF take a look at his original draft capsule he is 6-91/4 and 6-10 1/2 in sneakers with a 7-4 wingspan. he is tallera nd longer than nazr mohammend and the stiff adonald foyle. No he isnt 7-2 but a 6-10 player who can score rebound and block shots and is 21 years old is the way to go. the last game of the season he put up 33 pts 10 rebounds and 3 blocks. hes got the talent in the pivot to compliment Mcdyess and also hedges against mcdyess injury and a player we can have for 15 years.
The Knicks are never, ever, go to do the BRIGGS youth movement. Forget it. It's not going to happen. The Knicks need to be in the playoffs to make money. Everything else is secondary to Cablevision. Rememeber the Knicks made the playoffs for 15 straight years. So in Cablevisions eyes there product is successful because it made money. Layden directive from Dolan was get the Knciks back into the playoffs. Getting dyse gets us back there. Remeber this is basically the same group (sans Camby) that got to the playoffs the previous year. Before Layden makes any moves now he needs to ask himself "Does this get us out of the first round". If the answer is no, then it'll be rejected by Dolan, as it should. In closing remember, if you're waiting for the NY Knick youth movement, I suggest you find another team to cheer for because this one is not going in that direction(at least under the current ownership).
BRIGGS
8/10/2002  12:51 AM
Cablevision is slowly running itself into the ground. Perhaps in a short time they may be forced to sell MSG--but that is another story:)

the 15 years of Knick success was built on one thing--- patrick ewing and patrick came through the draft. the knicks also had the fortune of having good management and coaching with checkettes and grunfeld and riley and van gundy

make no mistake eVERTHING all success was built around the foundation of Patrick

That is the blueprint for success in the NBA and that is the ONLY business model

You canb boast the Knicks have a playoff team and I say you are wrong and they are setting themselves up for years of hard times. When i say take an amare stoudamaire or a dujuan wagner that is not what the bulls or nuggets are doing it was an opportunity that comes along infreuently for teams. you see only a real true basketball fan like me who also played three years at fordham and watches college and pro ball every night of the week understands the meaning of talented basketball players i watched the mcd game and i saw amare destroy curry and chandler two years ago and then dominate this year i watched in person dujuan wagner score 32 points at the garden against a Temple triple teaming him i watched EVERY Memphis game on TV i saw this kid he is BETTEr than J williams

that was the talent pool in the draft gooden stoudamaire wagner then williams is a drop off fourth and i cannot judge yao ming because ive never seen him play-- although from all reports it does sound like he will be a perfect compliment to the rockets besisdes being a marketing gem we had the chance to get either the next karl malone of the power forwards or change positions with denver and get the next allen iversen who is built like he is on steroids. gooden was the best player in the draft for the short term his fundamentals were so much better than anyone else in the draft it wasnt close as far as big men amare on raw talent and power will average 12 and 8 next year and expect him to be the mAN when this draft is judged 5 years from now.

If you dont follow a standard blueprint in business eventually you wil get caught its happening at cablevision and its already infected the knicks
RIP Crushalot😞
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
8/10/2002  1:20 AM
So, suppose we drafted Dice when Denver did...would that change the fact that Dice is playing in a Knick uni now? Probably not. Patrick came through the draft, but Shaquille went to LA as a free agent. Jason Kidd was traded. There is probably more than one way to build a successful team, but the intangible factors (Hard work, defense, free throw shooting, unselfish play, coolness under pressure, SIZE) are what makes a championship team. Clips and Nuggets are proof that you can stay in the lottery for years and not build a contender. Jordans and Shaqs don't grow on trees anymore-
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
BRIGGS
8/10/2002  1:43 AM
Well my message in short was when you have the opportunity to get a real talent through the draft you go for it. It only takes one good pick to really set yourself up well for years. Chicago was dumb for letting Elton Brand walk for Chnadler and that is going to set them back. With Dice there is that 12mm dollar price tag coming off a major injury and the fact that he never has lead a team to the playoffs depite having some players on his team like lafrentz van exel lets be honest the bottom half of the west are also middle runs of the east and they still couldnt make the playoffs not even an 8 seed. Mcdyess himself is not a fiery competitor he is 5 notches below what a Dirk Nitkowski and KG are respectively. he is being WAY overhyped. we did not trade for gary payton and on top of that we gave denver the wrong guy. if they wanted that pick that bad we shouldve made them take andersen and we couldve taken back posey etc...
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
USA
8/10/2002  1:50 AM
Since the Knicks have drafted Ewing, they've done a scrappy job in putting the team together. They've always relied on trades and signings, and I think McDyess will be the last straw. After the Knicks fail to do any sigificant damage in the playoffs, Dolan will realize rebuilding is necessary and will give Layden the go-ahead. The Knicks will have a favorable cap situatio by 2004-2005, and hopefully it'll be short.

But you can't condemn Layden for his McDyess trade, they have to win-now because of the players and contracts that make up this team. Hilario would have done them no good, nor would Stoudemire (and why are we talking about Wagner, he wasn't even an option when the Knicks picked.) The draft day move was the right move, even if McDyess gets a ton of money and even if he was coming off an injury, the way this current team is assembled, they have to make the playoffs.
#Knickstaps
nwny
8/10/2002  4:07 AM
My comments in bold
Posted by BRIGGS:

Cablevision is slowly running itself into the ground. Perhaps in a short time they may be forced to sell MSG--but that is another story:) Hello!?! That's why they can't rebuild. They need the money a playoff team generates. They (MSG) can't stay afloat for more than two years without playoff money.

the 15 years of Knick success was built on one thing--- patrick ewing and patrick came through the draft. the knicks also had the fortune of having good management and coaching with checkettes and grunfeld and riley and van gundy Hmmm, let's see how good were they: Checkettes gets into a power struggle with Riles, lets him walk, fires Ernie, then gets himself fired, but not before Van Gundy grabs Zo’s leg like a rabid dog, gets punched by Camby, and ruins his reputation as a “players coach” by quitting in the middle of the season. Yeah you're right. They where a bunch of f***ing geniuses.

That is the blueprint for success in the NBA and that is the ONLY business model What year was the Lakers drafted Shacq? Wow, that was a really great draft for the Kings when they got Webber, and Bibby right? Hey! Where did NJ get that emergency August draft pick that let them get Jason Kidd. Rod Thorn is so sneaky!

You canb boast the Knicks have a playoff team and I say you are wrong and they are setting themselves up for years of hard times.
we have to wait and see won't we?

you see only a real true basketball fan like me who also played three years at fordham played or rode the pine? be honest. and watches college and pro ball every night of the week understands the meaning of talented basketball players so basically your're saying the you are a better evaluator of talent than Jerry Krause who drafted Jordan and built one of the greatest teams in NBA history. Keep dreaming bench warmer.

If you dont follow a standard blueprint in business eventually you wil get caught its happening at cablevision and its already infected the knicks there's no such thing as astandard business blueprint. if there was, everyone would follow it, and nobody's business would fail. The world would be full of nothing but sucessfull businesses------
BRIGGS
8/10/2002  10:59 AM
Boy you are belligerent! I suspect you work for CVC in the MSG unit and I'm *banking*[no pun intended] that you're not a player! This is a message board --really no need to get grumpy unless it is directed at Layden or Dolan:>)

Let me repeat myself--the current Knick team has a bunch of holes--veterans who are inconsistent and growing older and a new post player who is coming off a major injury--- and has never been able to propell his own team to even an 8th seed:>) while playing with other good players. We have incredible defeciency in defensive mismatching at almost every position---the only position that we match up with other teams is the 4. Let me take New orleans for example--we have no PG who can defend Baron davis --our 100mm dollar 2 guard couldn't stick with alexander or wesley in any way. Sprewell cannot guard Mashburn and our post players are very small in comparison to Cambell Magliore and PJ Brown. Even their bench is much more balanced and skilled. Agree or no? All right let me go further into the division
and take out teams who are clealy above the Knicks besides New Orleans
Boston-New jersey-Detroit-Philidelphia and Indiana. So the Knicks have the possibility of getting a 7-8 seed--lets go further who we compete aginst. If anyone thinks that riley wont make the playoffs again their mistaken. He is still the best coach in pro sports and he was able to add two highly skilled 3s along with the development of Malik Allen and Mike James. Do you or anyone else think that they will go 4-21 to start the season again? No frikin way! Miami still has the best center in the east and with the addition of these athletes and the improvement of Allen who is 6-10 you are probably talking about the true surprise team of the east who could finish as high as a 3 or 4 seed. Clearly Toronto has taken a hit or have they? They get back a Vince Carter with something to prove--they move 6-11 Michael Bradley into the rotation replacing Clark and Bradley had a very nice summer and is highly skilled. They have a real nice rookie in Chris jefferies huge wings in Peterson and carter to go along with a pretty big frontline and for the most part this is a team that has been together for a few years. orlando will be getting back Grant Hill and have the best player in the East. atlanta is much improved and Milwaukee is still on the fringe of the bubble. It will be a fight to get that 7-8 seed and the Knicks don't have the luxury of losing ANY of their older players to injury--they don't have time for chemistry problems--one big thing never discussed with a big change in aline-up. They have lost an IMPORTANT piece of the puzzle in becoming a playoff team in their defensive identity and the coaching is suspect! We lack team speed and Chaney wants a running team. We have three back up point guards to run the show and if somehow teh Knicks are able to land the fantasy van exel deal we will only bethinning out talent from the frontline. Do you expect a Doleac miracle--PLEASE!!!!! As a diehard I beg that Mcdyess is healthy and nothing goes wrong with him physically--I HOPE that frank williams makes an impact and shows clear signs that he will be the point of the future--I hope we are not sckered into a bad trade due to panic and I HOPE Mike Doleac shows some signs that he will be a servicable back up in the paint not a 260 pds back up small forward. I hope we can clear some of these ugly role player contracts out and lastly i hope we can deal either Latrell or Allan for a reasonable deal before we are in a situation two years from now that resemble the 1992 Celtics. As a fan Im not worried about the playoffs because I recognize we have very little hope of even winning 1 game of a first round series. And I hope we get the highest draft position possible hopefully 1:>)

As far as CVC goes and their needs to make the playoffs who cares --theyll be out of business long before the Knicks are sound again. I have no clue if CVC will pony up for a new GM befor e that time so we'll have to wait to get rid of Layden in all probabilities. They will be forced to give up this franchise soon enough. My concern is only for the Knicks not for the chumps who are running the franchise into the ground. No one in in NY has any sympathy for the Dolans after they decided to not broadcast the g d m Yankees for crying outloud! How could they do that? It will be a nice day when the Knick fans can say ce la ve!
PEACE
RIP Crushalot😞
BigSm00th
USA
8/10/2002  1:17 PM
What is this "on-paper" garbage. On paper the Kings are better then the Lakers (they have the advantage at PG, SF, PF, and Bench) and they still can't figure out how to beat the Lakers. The Knicks have something no other team in the East has, 3 legitimate 20-point scorers. Obviously, not each will average 20 a game, but when you have 3 really good scorers, it's very tough to defend. Everyone is downplying this McDyess acquisition, Houston and Spree will both benefit from this and the Knicks will contend and be a dangerous team in the playoffs.
#Knickstaps
BRIGGS
8/10/2002  3:55 PM
You are right on the money with one thing--the Kings were the best team in basketball last year--the best team doesn't always win the boat--i.e New England Patriots last year--happens in sports but a pure luck shot and very spotty officiating at a pivotal time cost the Kings who were without arguably their second best player.

I think you are also right on about whats on paper because that's how you are evaluating the knicks. Denver had three really good scorers Mcdyess van exel and Raef lafrentz and some real decent role players around them and they couldnt come close to an eight seed. Rebounding and defense will always be the main component in winning basketball. If scoring was so important Loyola Marymount wouldve won the NCAAs 5 times.

If I was coming into the Knick situation right now I would be worried least about my PG spot. There are two reasonable back ups and one rookie that can be effecient enough. And thats all i want out of that spot effeciency I dont need a 20 point scoring PG I need an effecient 13 12 ans 6 over 48 spread between two or three guys. The main area I would focus on is a defensive presence in my frontline and the guy i would go after like a bandit would be stromile swift. There are not to many players in the east who have the physical attributes stromile has and this kid is ready to really breakout to the next level. I could care less if he is 6-9 1/2 230 he has the length of a 7 footer with AWESOME shot blocking skills and can score and rebound. Having a frontline of Swift and Mcdyess is much more explosive than Mcdyess and Thomas who can't get off the ground. It makes 0 sense to have three other frontcourt players who are all relatively the same. Stromile makes the frontcourt faster longer more explosive and than gives reason to have weatherspoon and harrington off the bench.

Finish off the roster by claming Jimmy jackson as my scoring player off the bench and smush parker as my 15th man because that kid is talented and it would be a great investment to own his rights for cheap and have him be a practice player to see what we can get out of him:>)

roster
Mcdyess/harrington/Doleac
Swift/Weatherspoon/Knight
Sprewell/Jackson
Houston/Andersen/
Ward/eilsey/Williams

This lineup atleast caters to defense a bit more without giving up on the scoring and Jackson gives us a punch off the bench we havent had in three years . Obviously i have concoted a threeway trade for thomas ---Swift:>) and I gave up denvers 2round pick:<(
RIP Crushalot&#128542;
BigSm00th
USA
8/10/2002  4:08 PM
Briggs, you've made me a believer in Swift.

The Knicks need a shotblocking center, and if Swift is the guy then I'm all for him.
#Knickstaps
I think change will happen at the garden

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy