[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

It's a free country and fans can chant Fire Isiah All they Want, But....
Author Thread
NotFrye
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #935
2/26/2006  10:07 PM
Is this really an attractive GM position?
AUTOADVERT
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
2/26/2006  10:10 PM
Posted by Travla:

If you guys believe that Isiah wanted to bring in LB, you're not thinking straight. Owners and management tell Isiah what to do and there are times when they won't listen to him, they brought in a high profile coach to sell seasons tickets and generate more intrest. They didn't even think that he wasn't the right coach for this team. The players hate LB's coaching style, That's LB's fault (and the players too) for not going with what he's got and letting the players play. This team has talent and they haven't been able to display that talent because LB wants to control everything......I guess I am saying that I don't blame Isiah for the way the team is playing, that's up to the coach and coaching staff.

I dont know if I beleive that dolan made Isiah sign Larry, how do you kno this? was it in an article? becuase Isiah Thomas has starphucked during his entire tenure hear, so it makes sense that he would do so with coaching as well. oh well if what you say is true than Isiah shouldnt be fired at all, but I still think it was isiah's decision to sign larry to that 5 year deal, in which case it his ultimately his fault for hiring a coach that doesnt match with his team. even though I agree that Larry had done a terrible job and deserves alot of the blame.
SlimPack
USA
2/26/2006  10:11 PM
Posted by NotFrye:

Is this really an attractive GM position?

thats a good point, at this point Im not even sure if a good GM would be willing to even take this job.
SlimPack
USA
2/26/2006  10:17 PM
while we're throwing around names, does anyone know anything about David Morway, VP of the pacers? I remember reading an article suggesting that the knicks should go after him.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
2/26/2006  10:25 PM
the question shouldnt ask "who could do a better job than isiah thomas" the question should be---- who could do worse? you cannot do worse than the worst management job in pro sport history--

I'll pick Donnie Nelson.
The Mavericks record has spoken for itself--he drafted Dirk@10 josh howard at 30
marquiels daniels out of the junk bin swapped out antwan jamison for pick 5 for devin harris
traded for jason terry adapted to their past defecencies of lack of D and addressed them

come on, isiah thomas doesnt hold donnie nelson's soiled underpants.
RIP Crushalot😞
jaydh
Member: #96
2/27/2006  5:58 AM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by bigbeast:

I've been thinking the same thing about Anthony for a while. Greg Anthony is someone who I think can and will be a good young GM sooner rather than later.

I really respect his opinion more than anyone else on ESPN. Only problem with greg is he doesn't have any experience. If Isiah doesn't fix this come October (yes, I'm willing to give him to the summer to see his plan through) the next hire will be huge. I doubt Mills can gamble on Anthony who has no experience

that brings me to a question, Im incredibly fed up with how this franchise looks right now, but even still I am not opposed to waiting until next season to axe Isiah, but the thing is, his contract ends this season, is it possible to resign him to a 1 year contract?

i believe his contract is up in december. so he should still be around for the summer.

[Edited by - jaydh on 02-27-2006 05:59 AM]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/27/2006  7:17 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

the question shouldnt ask "who could do a better job than isiah thomas" the question should be---- who could do worse? you cannot do worse than the worst management job in pro sport history--

I'll pick Donnie Nelson.
The Mavericks record has spoken for itself--he drafted Dirk@10 josh howard at 30
marquiels daniels out of the junk bin swapped out antwan jamison for pick 5 for devin harris
traded for jason terry adapted to their past defecencies of lack of D and addressed them

come on, isiah thomas doesnt hold donnie nelson's soiled underpants.
thats it in a nutshell. Its not even about the wins and losses for me, its about the type of players, what you gave up to get them and your plan to build a team. For Isiah its been losers, too much and none.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/27/2006  7:33 AM
what we need is a gm who has done it for many years and know how to make a solid team. i think if we could lure donnie walsh, i would do it. someone asked if this is an attractive job. let it be known, this is still new york. if you can turn this team around to just a championship calibre team, your resume would have an extra boost than most other teams. grunfeld was labeled one of the best gms today and we fired him. the only problem is that if you fail, your career is done. ask layzie, wilkens and chaney.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/27/2006  7:49 AM
Posted by jazz74:

what we need is a gm who has done it for many years and know how to make a solid team.
I thought Layden had a very strong resume. Didn't he put Stockton and Malone together? I think a top GM could put together a .500 or slightly better team under the parameters of this team's ownership but not an elite team.

misterearl
Member: #799
USA
2/27/2006  8:07 AM
>>I thought Layden had a very strong resume. Didn't he put Stockton and Malone together?

I'd check the Malone draft year first

Greg Anthony, Charles Oakley, Kiki Vandeweghe and Don Nelson is the absolute BEST this Forum has to offer?

What have any of them won?

SlimPack - you could be correct in your assesment of "knowwledgeable" Knicks fans.

pitiful
once a knick always a knick
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
2/27/2006  8:09 AM
no doubt
all kool aid all the time.
misterearl
USA
2/27/2006  8:12 AM
Briggs - are you certain you want Donnie Nelson?
misterearl
USA
2/27/2006  8:13 AM
Allan Fan - can you answer the question

or do you not have a solid answer to the three listed?

knowledgable my butt!
misterearl
USA
2/27/2006  8:15 AM
For the comprehension-impaired

once again boys and girls:
1. Please offer more than throwing out simply a name to see if it sticks

2. Please state why he (or she) is the best person qualified to meet the Knicks criteria

3. and how long they would receive to meet your stated expectations
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/27/2006  8:41 AM
here's a question for you: how much longer does it take for you to concede Isiah has done a bad job? for me, it was three years of trade deadline moves I had to rationalize more and more in order to accept, three years of moves that added salary and "talent" but resulted in fewer wins on the court. the final straw for me was realizing Isiah has thrown away two out of three lottery picks and the player I like the best on the team is the one lotto pick we kept.

What if, instead of Marbury we had Andre Igoduala and we had Frye and we could think about adding Rudy Gay or Adam Morrison or LaMarcus Aldridge or Shelden Williams? If that was the case, I wouldn't have minded trading to get Francis. It's easy to rationalize trading a lotto pick for a Marbury and a playoff run, as we did in 04. It's a lot harder to rationalize adding a disappointing Curry and suffering our worst season since before Ewing showed up, with no chance to add a young turk like Ewing. And it makes no sense to add a career loser headcase like Francis to the mix.

So, my question to you, Mr. Earl, when is enough enough?
¿ △ ?
SlimPack
USA
2/27/2006  8:49 AM
yeah I guess gregg anthony was a little bit out there, okay then, than how about Pacers senior vice president David Morway? he could have had the cleveland job this season but the only reason the cavs didnt hire him was becuase they are going in a different direction. reportedly he is responsible for alot of the scouting, and drafting and personelle moves that the pacers have made through the last couple of years, and is especially known for his expertise with the salary cap and for talent evaluation. He also has a favorable reputation around the NBA. I think he would be a very good candidate, and like I said before the amount of time I give him depends on what he does the first season or so.

and if thats not enough than another name to consider might be, Wizards director of player personnel Milt Newton. He was the Director of Player Personnel for the National Basketball Development League in May of 2000. While he was there, Newton’s responsibilities included evaluating, recruiting and signing players and assisting with the league’s day-to-day basketball operations, he was hired by the wizards in 2003, and has done a good job with his position there so far, also he was a candidate for the Cleveland job last year too, but, honestly, Im not really as sold on him as I am in David Morway.

and thats all I can really come up with for now, but you know misterearl, lately I've been wondering how much good changing the GM will do if dolan is just going to force however he hire's to win now, if that really turns out to be the case, then I guess theres really no point in firing isiah, but Im still not sure that that is really the case.

[Edited by - slimpack on 02-27-2006 08:52 AM]
BRIGGS
Member: #303
2/27/2006  8:57 AM
Posted by misterearl:

Briggs - are you certain you want Donnie Nelson?

Whoever is behind the Mavericks personell decisions. Donnie Nelson is listed as GM, so Im guessing he is a main or THE cog---he is the guy who discovered Dirk, and the Mavericks have made TREMENDOUS personell moves Y-Y. If it is Donnie and somebody else, bring in that somebody else. They have experience with a high salary team. They have proven success over a number of years.
RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/27/2006  9:15 AM
NO TV guys, they get the benefit of hindsight and always look good.

You grab an assistant GM no name young guy who made his boss look good and is hungry.

PHX is letting Colangelo walk cuz they got some good guys waiting in the wings.

Success breeds success. Ferry was hired by Cavs after a few years as assistant in San Antoino.

Layden on paper was a good hire to the organization but not to be promoted to GM because he was an introvert.

Since we don't know the directive he recieved, its hard to really evaluate his, and for that matter Isiahs job. Got an owner paying you 4 mil to starphuch his franchise, you do it!

Firing Isiah makes no sense now.

He'll go to Indiana. The University of.

Isiah knows when to bail.

His replacement should be some no name geek, not a big name. And, Larry should be in on who gets it obviously.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
2/27/2006  9:16 AM
misterearl, here is an example of the wonderful talent Isiah has brought in:

"The players don't seem to care about winning anymore. Two Knicks — without mentioning names — munched down on Chicken McNuggets and McDonald's fries an hour before tip-off Saturday night in Washington."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/62487.htm

what a nightmare
¿ △ ?
misterearl
USA
2/27/2006  12:39 PM
>>What if, instead of Marbury we had Andre Igoduala and we had Frye and we could think about adding Rudy Gay or Adam Morrison or LaMarcus Aldridge or Shelden Williams?

What if?

This isn't about what IF. This is a simple test of your basketball knowledge and critical thinking.

crzymdups - if you STILL refuse to answer the question with any thoughtful analysis

it's cool

you can always go start another thread

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 02-27-2006 12:41 PM]
It's a free country and fans can chant Fire Isiah All they Want, But....

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy