[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Layden doesnt look like hes gonna make it
Author Thread
falcindor
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #42
USA
8/9/2002  7:55 AM
Layden isnt the most consistant of GMs. He is a real risktaker when comes to drafting, but I cant see why he doesnt have the balls to pull off a major trade. He is so scared of it backfiring in his face. Well Layden better get over it, this is NY where we dont have the time to wait it out. If we know something is a good deal we jump at it. We don't wait along for something better, well nothing will come along better than Deke. Yes there are better centers out there, but none of them are remotely availabke, especially to the Knicks. Sure we might get an offer for decent center (Erik Dampier) but ultimatly it will cost Kurt Thomas and other in return. There is no way you can ever to get rid of Travis Knight or Charlie ward. Philly was doing us a big favor. We would have killed 3 birds with one stone by getting rid of 2 impposible contracts and gotten the best center in the east. We already have arguably the best PF in the east. And on top of that you wouldnt have to part with any of your 3 best players. Im really hoping it was Dolan who vetoed the trade because Layden really looks incompitent here. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt but if he let Deke slip, I no longer have respect for him. If so just give Magic Johnson the job ( he wants it), he cant do any worse. At least Johnson knows we need a PG.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
AUTOADVERT
NYKNICKS34
Member: #292
8/9/2002  8:06 AM
There was an article on the nydailynews and it says dolan didn't want mutombo i think layden would have done the deal but dolan said no. SO we should be blaming dolan not layden.Plus well have some money to spend on next years free agents.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/9/2002  8:50 AM
Well it was Dolan who didn't want Mutombo apparently. Might be because cablevision has a large debt and might have to start selling certain parts of their empire (please sell the NYK to someone who knows hoops).

Money to spend on Free Agents? Unless the knicks trade away almost everybody for ending contracts you can fuggedaboutit. Houston, Spree and Dice combined already get you passed the 40 mil cap next year and to add FA's without the midlevel exception you have to be under the cap. The way things look, the Knicks can only get a marquee fa in three years if they don't resign Dice but what's the point in that?

The draft and trades are all the NYK can do really for the next few years.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
8/9/2002  11:06 AM
Posted by falcindor:

Layden isnt the most consistant of GMs. He is a real risktaker when comes to drafting, but I cant see why he doesnt have the balls to pull off a major trade. He is so scared of it backfiring in his face. Well Layden better get over it, this is NY where we dont have the time to wait it out. If we know something is a good deal we jump at it. We don't wait along for something better, well nothing will come along better than Deke. Yes there are better centers out there, but none of them are remotely availabke, especially to the Knicks. Sure we might get an offer for decent center (Erik Dampier) but ultimatly it will cost Kurt Thomas and other in return. There is no way you can ever to get rid of Travis Knight or Charlie ward. Philly was doing us a big favor. We would have killed 3 birds with one stone by getting rid of 2 impposible contracts and gotten the best center in the east. We already have arguably the best PF in the east. And on top of that you wouldnt have to part with any of your 3 best players. Im really hoping it was Dolan who vetoed the trade because Layden really looks incompitent here. I have always given him the benefit of the doubt but if he let Deke slip, I no longer have respect for him. If so just give Magic Johnson the job ( he wants it), he cant do any worse. At least Johnson knows we need a PG.

I guess it was really Dolan who made the decision, but I'm not so sure it was a bad one. Mutumbo is 36 with a BIG contract. Ward and Travis' salaries come off the cap after the next two seasons; Mutumbo's runs for three. So you're basically talking about 19 mil in the third season with Mutumbo, vs. 5.5 mil for Thomas.

I think it is a refreshing change from the usual Knicks short sightedness.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/9/2002  11:24 AM
tHOMAS CANNOT BE OUR CENTER. HES TOO SHORT AND ISNT PHYSICAL ENOUGH.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
davpowerslave
Member: #281
8/9/2002  12:07 PM
Makes perfect sense, dolan didnt want him, cablevision has money problems, are gonna shut down more than half the wiz stores, and sell off some subsidiaries.....guess we should change that chant to Dolan must go! haha.
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
8/9/2002  1:10 PM
All I have to say is if Thomas is our starting center come opening day, he will have a serious challenge ahead of him. He must winover the officals to be able to contribute to them team while maintaining a decent amount of minutes on the court. We all know how he has a terrible rap with the officials. I could see him having the kind of season Rasheed Wallace had two years ago. Getting kicked out of games and being fined by te league all the time for having confrontations with the officials about calls. Being in the middle he will be challenged physically and emotionally. One thing is for sure. If he is to be an effective center his maturity will be tested. If he can show that his game is beyond the playground mentallity of I did'nt do it and let his coach argue for him... he'll be alright. We'll see exactly what kind of Role Player Kurt Thomas is after about 15 games of the regualr season.
nwny
Member: #284
8/9/2002  8:17 PM
Originally posted by falcindor:
We would have killed 3 birds with one stone by getting rid of 2 impposible contracts and gotten the best center in the east.
What are talking about? Knight and Ward's contract expires after next season, and KT has a very resonable contract, that why he's desired. His contract to skill ratio is very good. That's why we wouldn't do it. We would be getting rid of two very tradeable players for a player on the downswing of his career (career low in rebounds, and blocked shoots),and on the upswing of his contract (19 per for the next 3 years).
Originally posted by falcindor:tHOMAS CANNOT BE OUR CENTER. HES TOO SHORT AND ISNT PHYSICAL ENOUGH.
He is too short, but you are wrong about him not being physical enough.
No one has ever questioned his physicalness.

[Edited by - nwny on 08/09/2002 20:18:29]
nwny
Member: #284
8/9/2002  8:30 PM
nyvector16 wrote I could see him having the kind of season Rasheed Wallace had two years ago. Getting kicked out of games and being fined by te league all the time for having confrontations with the officials about calls. Being in the middle he will be challenged physically and emotionally.
Um, he played 53 games as our starting center. Why do you need 15 more games? I didn't see any Rasheed Wallace like outbursts, confrontations or fines. Thomas for all his foul trouble just gets upset, roles his eyes and takes his seat on the bench. There were no outbursts. He's already played 53 games are starting center, do you think the stress of 29 extra games is going to turn him in to Wallace? Come on.

[Edited by - nwny on 08/09/2002 20:31:37]

[Edited by - nwny on 08/09/2002 20:32:16]

[Edited by - nwny on 08/09/2002 20:32:55]
Layden doesnt look like hes gonna make it

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy