[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Chris Sheridan chat wrap............
Author Thread
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

2/24/2006  2:30 PM
Can anyone post this? I heard that he actually defended Isiah for the Francis move.
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
AUTOADVERT
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
2/24/2006  2:34 PM
I guess he took Isiah's threat seriously. All the better.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
2/24/2006  2:42 PM
Deals at a glance: Artest to Szczerbiak
By Chris Sheridan
ESPN Insider
Archive

The Year of The Earl Watson Rumor came to a fitting conclusion Thursday, its namesake leading a phalanx of bit players who changed teams on what turned out to be a fairly dull deadline day.

Looking at it from a broader perspective, however, it's been a busy month since the Indiana Pacers broke the leaguewide logjam when they shipped Ron Artest to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic.

The deals ran the gamut from contract dumps (Antonio Davis and Penny Hardaway) to attitude dumps (Ruben Patterson) to draft pick dumps (Aaron Williams and Steven Hunter) to tax threshold dumps (Lee Nailon, Marc Jackson) to malcontent dumps (Reggie Evans, Vladimir Radmanovic, Voshon Lenard).

Anyone wishing for an Allen Iverson or Paul Pierce blockbuster was left disappointed, but there's always the possibility of a Kevin Garnett mega-deal lurking ahead in the summer.

Things won't heat up again until draft night in late June, so we'll take a quick look at each of the 16 in-season deals (one of which was rescinded) that went down before the NBA's lawyers stopped taking calls at 3 p.m. Thursday:

Ron Artest for Peja Stojakovic (Jan. 25)
Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird waited and waited until they were offered a quality player, and they got one of the game's best shooters. He's averaged nearly 19 points since the trade, getting to the line more often and shooting a higher percentage than he did in Sacramento. The Pacers are 6-3 since the trade, the Kings are 7-6 with Artest scoring 17.5 points on 38 percent shooting.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili to the Suns (Jan. 26)
Phoenix gave up a second-round pick to get this old favorite of Mike D'Antoni, although the coach has only seen fit to give him 17 minutes in three games with eight DNP-CDs.

Ricky Davis for Wally Szczerbiak (Jan. 26)
This seven-player trade hasn't turned out well for either team yet (Boston is 4-8 since; Minnesota is 4-9). Throw-in Marcus Banks has been a pleasant surprise for the Wolves, playing starter's minutes as the (temporary?) backup to Anthony Carter.

Aaron Williams to the Hornets (Jan. 31)
The first of the Hornets' many moves to bring in big men, this one has paid off well thus far. A-Train is averaging 23 minutes and roughly six points and rebounds a night for New Orleans, which is 7-3 with him.

Steven Hunter to the Hornets (Jan. 31)
This trade was rescinded (the Hornets sent two second-round picks to Philadelphia, the same price they paid to the Raptors for Williams), apparently due to concerns about Hunter's knee.

Jalen Rose for Antonio Davis (Feb. 3)
New York is 1-7 since this trade, which also brought them Denver's No. 1 pick. At this time next year, we'll be talking about what the Knicks got for Rose's expiring contract.

Keith Bogans for Lonny Baxter (Feb. 9)
Jeff Van Gundy has been giving 20 minutes per game off the bench to Bogans, whose acquisition allowed Houston to bail out on the Derek Anderson experiment. Charlotte's gotten one bucket from Baxter in five games.

Maciej Lampe for Moochie Norris (Feb. 13)
We'll have to wait and see if the Hornets will need to turn to Norris, who will serve as point guard insurance behind Chris Paul and Speedy Claxton.

Chris Wilcox for Vladimir Radmanovic (Feb. 14)
The Clippers are 0-3 since adding a shooter to the worst 3-point shooting roster in the NBA. Vlad is 4-for-12 from downtown since the deal. Wilcox is shooting 68 percent in three games for Seattle.

Darko Milicic and Carlos Arroyo for Kelvin Cato and a No. 1 (Feb. 15)
The Pistons failed to make a deadline day deal, meaning they'll have Lindsey Hunter and Alex Acker as the backups at the point behind Chauncey Billups. They'll use Tayshaun Prince in that role, too. Brian Hill has seen fit to play Darko only four minutes of garbage time in two games since the trade.

Steve Francis for Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza (Feb. 22)
Knicks fans and local radio hosts were killing Isiah Thomas for this trade Thursday, but were they happy with what Quentin Richardson was bringing as the starting two-guard? Ariza was hailed as one of Isiah's great second-round finds just a few months ago, but Larry Brown had no use for him.

THURSDAY'S DEALS

Denver-Portland-Sacramento-Seattle nine-player trade
The Nuggets had been holding onto Watson in search of the right deal, and they got the type of defensive-minded player George Karl likes in Ruben Patterson, along with one of the best rebounds-per-minute players in the league, Reggie Evans. Sacramento may have found a sleeper in Sergei Monia, a shooter who only cost them Brian Skinner.

Marc Jackson and Linton Johnson for Bostjan Nachbar
The failed Hunter trade and the season-ending wrist injury to Jackson Vroman necessitated the Hornets' need to find another big man. Jackson plays low to the ground, but he's an intense competitor. Nachbar is now the Nets' Slovenian Lamond Murray.

Derek Anderson for Gerald Fitch
One more veteran scoring option added by Pat Riley, who couldn't resist the low price. If he gives them 40 good playoff minutes, that's 40 more than Fitch would have provided.

Flip Murray for Mike Wilks
Surprising this was all the Sonics could get for Flip, who waived his trade veto because he wants to be somewhere he can establish some value before becoming an unrestricted free agent. He could take minutes away from Damon Jones in Cleveland.

Lee Nailon to Cleveland
A pure money dump by the 76ers, who want to make a run at Tim Thomas and needed to move Nailon's salary to stay beneath the luxury tax threshold.

If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
ultknicks524
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #889
2/24/2006  2:59 PM
Chat with Chris Sheridan

Welcome to The Show! On Friday, ESPN.com's NBA reporter Chris Sheridan will log on to chat with you about all the action on the hardcourt ... and all the news and notes off of it. Chris came to ESPN from the Associated Press where he spent the last 10 years as the lead NBA writer.

Sheridan's chat tips off at noon ET on Friday so send in your questions now and join him right here for the answers.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Greetings from New York, where tonight's Knicks-Nets game is expected to stay competitive for at least one quarter as Stevie Franchise makes his debut as the next Earl Monroe. Trade deadline day wasn't all that exciting, which means it'll be a busy summer _ especially if Kevin Garnett asks to be traded. If I were a betting man, I'd wager a dollar or two that he'll be wearing a different uniform by the start of next season. As for the immediate future, there are at least three teams waiting for Tim Thomas to get a buyout from the Bulls. There are a few other free agents out there who have been sitting idle, including Wesley Person and Latrell Sprewell, and a couple other players (Tony Delk, Jim Jackson) who could get buyouts and be on the market by March 1. Lots of questions in the queue already, so let's get started.

Ron (Lakeland): Why Darko isn't playing yet? Garrity, Kasum, and Battie are no Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Antonio McDyess.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: It could just be a matter of getting Darko acclimated to the plays, etc., or it could be a sign that the front office and the coaching staff are not exactly on the same page in Orlando. There are a lot of changes going on with that franchise right now, including ownership being transferred to Rich DeVos' children, so the Magic are obviously are team in a full state of flux. Darko might just be caught in the middle of it at this point, but you'll see him playing more as the season winds down.

Steve (Toronto): Your thoughts on Bryan Colangelo's seemingly impending move to Toronto?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Looks like it might be a messy breakup in Phoenix, while stories already floating around that Sarver threw Colangelo out of his office when the topic was first broached. There have been signs that David Stern and Russ Granik helped facillitate this move, so I'd expect it to happen. Bryan will be an outstanding addition for the Raptors, just the type of executive they need this summer when they'll be players on the free agent market and in trades.

Bobby (Pittsburgh): What does Penny Hardaway's future look like beyond this season? Will he find a spot on someone's bench or will he be forced to retire?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: The Magic waived him this morning. Penny has arthritic knees, and he hasn't always been the most popular guy in the locker room in a lot of places where he's played, so my guess is we've seen the last of him.

Matt - Denver: Thoughts on Denver's moves yesterday? Their outside shooting is going to be scary.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: I thought they did quite well in getting Patterson and Evans. That's a lot of lumber when all they dealt away was a backup point guard and two guys off the end of the bench, so I commend Kiki for holding out until the end when he got the best deal he could.

Darius (Oakland): Chris, I just read Ford's article that the Lakers' 1st round pick this year may go to Phoenix. Can you explain this please?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: The Lakers sent that pick to the Celtics in the Payton-Mihm trade, the Celtics sent it to the Hawks in the Antoine Walker-Gary Payton trade, and the Hawks sent it to the Suns in the Joe Johnson trade.

Selom(Xenia, OH): Hate to dwell on the Knicks(I'm lying), but all this talk about a package for Garnett seems alil premature dont you think? I still dont see who the T'wolves would take besides... who?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: I don't think the Knicks have the goods, either, although an offer of Francis and Frye is better than anything they could have offered a few days ago. If Garnett goes on the market, I still think the Nets and Bulls have the best chance of getting him. Assuming the trade would get done in mid-July, New Jersey would have to part with Richard Jefferson, Nenad Krstic and whoever they took with their two No. 1 picks, while Chicago would have to surrender whoever they took with the Knicks' pick, plus Gordon and Hinrich, and probably another player. A dozen other teams would get in on the bidding, too.

Richie in the Bronx: Can you give info on trades that were discussed, but didn't happen?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: San Antonio was talking to New Orleans about a Brent Barry-JR Smith trade, but it fell apart right around 3 p.m. just as the Spurs were getting ready to leave Brent behind as they flew to Memphis. Smith and Byron Scott have not been on speaking terms for weeks, and I wouldn't expect him to see anything more than a couple garbage time minutes over the rest of the season.

Jon (NYC): Chris, loyal Nets fan here. Am I crazy for preferring to include Carter in a package for KG rather than Jefferson?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: You're not crazy at all, but Jefferson is a bigger long-term asset than Carter is, which is why the Wolves would prefer him over Carter. Jefferson is a base-year compensation player this season, but that designation comes off July 1, which makes it much easier to trade him.

Alex (Alberta Canada): Just wondering what you think we'll see from Flip Murray in Cleveland. Will we see the Flip that averaged 20 ppg in the beginning of the season a year ago or will we see the Flip that hardly does anything?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: That's up to Flip. The Cavs have been frustrated by what little production they've gotten from everyone in their backcourt, though Sasha Pavlovic is slowly winning people over. Flip will get a chance, and if he plays well he'll cut into Eric Snow's and Damon Jones' minutes.

Mike (Atlanta): Are the Hawks really gonna try to re-sign Harrington? Or do they think they can get more in a sign-and-trade after the season?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Billy Knight and Al Harrington's agent had a long talk over All-Star Weekend to try to sort things out, and neither side has made up its mind yet as to how things should shake out this summer. The idea of remaining with the Hawks seems more appealing now to Harrington, but if there's a team out there willing to pay him a lot more than the Hawks are, a sign-and-trade will probably be worked out.

Widmer (Portland, OR): Ruben Patterson finally got his wish and is out of Portland (woo hoo!), what does he bring to the Nuggs that they didn't have before the deal?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: He's a player that George Karl likes, and he'll bring an intensity and a defensive presence that the Nuggets were sorely lacking. You'll appreciate him in the playoffs (assuming the Nuggs make it) when George sics him on the opposing team's best scorer.

Kyle (Paw Paw): With no moves to bring in help for Kobe Bryant, what do you see the Lakers doing to bring in a legitiment No. 2 to Kobe, or is Lamar Odom the answer?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Not sure if they'll make a move for Sprewell. They still have a little less than half of their mid-level exception available, so they could offer him a small chunk of change more than a couple of the other contenders. But that would only be a short-term move. For the long term, the Lakers have to decide if they want to be a free agent player in 2008 (their current plan) or 2007 (they'd have to move Odom to do so).

Robbie (Chicago): Hey Chris i read something yesterday where the Bulls could offer Deng and both their first round draft picks and that would be enough to get Garnett. Do you think that would be enough or would they have to give up Gordon too?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Depends where those draft picks are after the lottery. If the Bulls have the No. 1 or No. 2 pick, that might be enough. Remember, they've got the Knicks' pick this year, and they have the right to swap No. 1 picks with the Knicks in 2007. If they agreed to give Minnesota both those picks, they might tip the tables in their favor.

Widmer (Portland, OR): Is basketball in trouble in the Northwest? Is is possible that both the Blazers and Sonics could be looking for new homes in the not-so-distant future?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: I'm afraid it's the latter, Widmer. When Paul Allen's people came out yesterday and said the franchise is no longer financially viable, that's a bad sign. With the Sonics, Schultz is holding the hammer because the team's lease expires soon, and commissioner Stern has already strongly indicated he'd support a relocation if Schultz had no better option. With the Magic looking for public funds for a new arena, and with George Shinn making no secret of the fact he wants to remain in Oklahoma City beyond next season, it would seem we're entering into what could turn into a five-year period in which the threat of relocation will be a constant theme.

jon (nj): any concept of the salary cap chris? chicago would have had to include tim thomas' contract to get up to the $$ of KG's contract. they'll need to resign deng and others to bigger, long term deals in the offseason now to get KG.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Any concept of cap space, jon? The Bulls will be so far under the cap after July 1, they will not have to match salaries in a Garnett trade.

Noah (Santa Monica, CA): If Amare is at full strength and Duncan still isn't, who wins a seven game series.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Good question, Noah. I'd take the Suns in 6, but I can't see Amare being at full strength until next season.

Aaron (phx): The latest KG rumor has KG going to Phoenix for Marion and change. What do you think about that for both teams? Amare, KG and Nash? Damn.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Like I said before, a lot of teams will get in on the bidding if KG goes on the market. The Wolves would want to go younger than Marion, but the Suns could throw in Atlanta's No. 1 pick (protected 1-3 in 2007, unprotected in 2008) to get the Wolves thinking.

Michael (DC): A Garnett trade seems to be on many peoples' minds. The scenario that most fascinates me, and which also I think won't happen, involves the Cavs offering Gooden, Hughes, and Snow and/or draft picks, for Garnett. The Wolves could start Snow/Banks, Davis, Hughes, Gooden and Blount--not an ideal lineup, but one which might suffice until younger players and those newly drafted develop. Would this idea or something like it be plausible?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: No. Hughes has a bad contract, Snow is old and has a bad contract, and Gooden is mediocre and has no contract after this season. The Wolves could do much, much better elsewhere.

Chris (Denver): Chris, What is you take on Isiah? It's like "Let's Make a Deal" with this guy, he keeps picking door number two and getting the pig even thought the entire audience is screaming for him to keep what he already has.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: People are killing Isiah in New York for the Francis trade, which I cannot comprehend. He got him for Trevor Ariza, for Pete's sake. That's Steve Francis for Trevor Ariza. That's not a good trade? I understand all the pent up frustration after a half-decade of being bad, but you really can't justify killing him on this one. The Jalen Rose-Antonio Davis deal was worse than the Francis deal.

KG (MN): Enough talk about me. If you hadn't noticed, there is still half a season to go and I still have not asked to be traded. Let's wait until I say more...

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Everyone expects you to ask for a trade because a lot of people keep tabs on what you're saying privately. Stuff like "I'll figure it all out after these final 29 games."

Rick (Yakima): Come on Chris! Just because he got more talent doesn't mean it's a good trade. He took on more money, got a selfish player he didn't need, and didn't help team chemistry.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: The money is not a concern. It's Cablevision money, and Jimmy Dolan doesn't care how much of it Isiah spends. Selfish or not, how does he not need another good player? Or is Francis suddenly a bad player? Team chemistry was already non-existent and can't get any worse.

Tony (Bronx): You can't comprehend the grief Isiah is receiving?? Look at the roster, great we have Steve Francis, is he going to learn how to pass or better yet teach Marbury how to pass? We know have 100+ million payroll all locked up in aging stars who all seem to play the same 2-3 positions. Your right i am confused why Isiah is taking the heat!!!

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: I can undertand him taking the heat for the state of the team. He deserves all the heat he is getting. But if you're only looking at this particular trade, it's a steal, Tony.

Rob Babcock (Homeless): Chris, If i were Kevin McHale, I'd trade Kevin Garnett to the Spurs for two second round picks. What do you think about that trade. Any chance it will happen?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Wouldn't make it unless Eric Williams was in there.

Charles (San Jose): Chris, if it was the Payton/Mihm trade and the Walker/Payton trade, shouldn't it at least be the Johnson/Diaw trade?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Point taken, Charles.

Nathan (DC): For the love of God! Why can't people figure out that the Knicks don't care about money. They don't need to manage their cap. Their team was already terrible and they traded Trevor Ariza (who) for Steve Francis.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Welcome to the minority, Nathan.

Alex (Dominican Republic): OK, Isiah untie or let Sheridan go so we can have a chat with him.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Now that's funny, but this chat is deteriorating. Lemme find one more serious question before we're done.

Deen (Wort Worth): Would you have traded Keith Van Horn for Antonio Davis if you were the Mavs? Chemisty is one thing, but Dampier guarding Duncan is another.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: The Mavs didn't want to shake up their chemistry, and they've had good results using Van Horn and Nowitzki together to spread the floor. Those were probably the biggest two factors they considered if they discussed a Davis trade, and they outweighed any perceived defensive benefit the Mavs might have gotten from a Davis-Van Horn trade.

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: Thanks for all the good questions today, folks, and we'll do this again next week.
Chris Sheridan chat wrap............

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy