MinsHeartsReezy
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #872
USA
2/24/2006  1:13 AM
In The Paint Inside Practice
Steph and Steve - Let’s Play
by Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, February 23, 2006 -- “I felt good enough to play,” a wry Stephon Marbury commented on his return to the Knicks lineup against Miami following Thursday’s practice at the team’s Madison Square Garden Training Center. “But you can stop with all the percentage questions. I am not going to be one hundred per cent healthy this year.”
Ouch.

On a less painful note, the Knicks star point guard has professed himself to be elated to have the newly acquired Steve Francis on board. “I’m almost positive everyone thinks this is going to be a problem,” he smiled. “But I think that when you have two players who may be similar and alike but do different things on the basketball court, that’s a plus.”

“In fact, I don’t understand why this would be a problem at all,” added Marbury. “Whenever you have two guys that create and make plays…Look, we’re both eager to play with each other. When we’ll get on the basketball court we’ll just basically read each other -- it’s a positive when you get a player like Steve Francis. Whenever you get a player such as him you have to take full advantage. By us both being able to make plays, it makes match-ups totally difficult to the other team.“

“Steve is a very competitive player. He can shoot the jumper, he can go to the basket, he can pass, he can pretty much do anything.”

Francis seemed equally perplexed by the avalanche of Marbury analogies, Marbury similarities, and the potential chemistry concerns -- though for different reasons. “I swear, until just now, until I got to New York, I never heard my game compared to Stephon Marbury’s,” he said. “Not once. But, you know what, it’s all good. I think, even though he is a day older, I can be an older brother to him. I can help him to win games.”

“You just go out on the floor, learn about each other, let the vibe flow,” added Francis. “At least at first. You allow the chemistry evolve with time. I’ve played with Cuttino Mobley, another great guard, in Houston and we were ranked as the top back court for years. It wasn’t about him shooting the ball or me shooting the ball. It wasn’t a problem.”

The problem, at least for tomorrow night’s tiff against the Nets, is that Francis -- due to Trevor Ariza’s failure to complete his physical in Orlando -- was not allowed to practice Thursday with the team. “I watched on the sidelines,’’ he said. “I picked up a couple of sets. But I don’t think I’ll be able to do much. To adjust fully, it takes a few games, anyway.”

Coach Larry Brown begged to differ. “He’s starting tomorrow night,” he said. “Steve is going to be a full time starter. We may have to limit some of the things we do, but we’ll just throw him out there. We did the same thing with Jalen (Rose) and he had his best game in the first game.”

Brown, and President, Basketball Operations Isiah Thomas, spent the entire day on the telephone but no other trades were completed. “We tried to touch base with a lot of people, first on the East Coast then on West Coast,” said Thomas. “But nothing developed that we were comfortable with.” “We tried,” said Brown. “But I’m not disappointed -- if we would have had something done, it would have meant parting with a lot of our future.”

“Almost every call we took, one of our young guys were mentioned,” said Thomas. “Sure, they have had some great moments and some not so great moments, so far. But the talk around the league is that the other GMs really value our young guys.”

“And so do we.”

“When I first came here, the average age of the roster was over 30 and people were saying we had players nobody wanted,” said Thomas. “The good thing that has come out of this process is that you can look at every player on the roster and say he has value. The average age is about 25 now and we have players a lot of teams want.”

“I know one thing,” said Thomas. “Coach and I, we’re in it for the long haul and we’re fighting like heck to win. And we don’t mind talking some hits on the way if in the end we come up on the winning side.”

AUTOADVERT
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
2/24/2006  1:14 AM
I hope this wasn't already posted.
nykx17
Member: #792
2/24/2006  1:47 AM
it COULD work, its possible, but JC or Q has to go because theres too much talent on this team to having some of these guys play 3 minutes a night.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
2/24/2006  9:46 AM
I hope you're holding up okay, Mins. Alot of us are sad to see Reezy go too.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
2/24/2006  12:00 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

I hope you're holding up okay, Mins. Alot of us are sad to see Reezy go too.

Thanks for lookin out Hardcore. I'm holding up o-k. I think its for the best. I would have loved it if he were still a knick but at the same time the way things were going here he would have spent more time inactive than actually playing. He was fun to watch though. I'll still keep an eye on the guy. Hopefully he'll get to play & get better with this new opportunity. Its not like we're "rebuilding" and developing the kids or anything lol...but whatever direction the team is going in I just want results. Check out this article I found this morning:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/local/orl-magic2406feb24,0,5132489.story?coll=orl-sports-headlines

A new story
New Orlando forward Ariza happy to escape New York

Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted February 24, 2006

Trevor Ariza was sitting in a barber's chair in Harlem getting a haircut when his cell phone beeped.

His agent, David Lee, told him he had been traded by the New York Knicks to the Orlando Magic. Then Isiah Thomas, the Knicks' president of basketball operations, called to wish him well.
How excited was Ariza to be leaving the Knicks' bench for playing time in Orlando?

"I tipped the barber $80,'' Ariza said, laughing.

Ariza and Penny Hardaway were dealt to Orlando for Steve Francis on Wednesday, but Magic fans only will be able to watch Ariza. (You can see Hardaway in a Magic uniform on ESPN Classic.)

Magic Assistant General Manager Otis Smith said Hardaway -- a former Magic guard from the franchise's mid-'90 heydays -- likely will be waived today and forward Bo Outlaw will return to the club.

Outlaw was waived to make room for Hardaway's expiring contract.

Ariza will have to work for his court time, especially with forwards Hedo Turkoglu and Grant Hill coming back from injuries, probably sooner than expected.

Smith said that Hill (strained lower abdomen) will not play tonight against the Seattle SuperSonics at TD Waterhouse Centre, but he likely will return sometime during the club's upcoming West Coast trip, which begins Tuesday in Los Angeles against the Lakers.

Smith said Turkoglu (sprained left ankle) might be available tonight.

Smith also said the club "looked at a couple of things'' before Thursday's 3 p.m. trading deadline, most of their attention focusing on adding a shooting guard.

Turkoglu was receiving the most interest, but Smith said, "We decided to stand pat.''

While the Magic (19-34) are rebuilding on the fly and in the midst of an eight-game losing streak, none of it fazes Ariza.

He played in New York, remember, and for Larry Brown, the NBA's mad professor, the first half of the season.

Brown, who arrived this season in New York after leading the Detroit Pistons to a title in 2004, had sentenced Ariza to the bench.

Brown even called Ariza "delusional'' after the second-year forward claimed Brown never told him he was being dropped from the rotation in early January. Brown also advised Ariza to "grow up.''

When asked about Brown, Ariza took the high road.

"We talked, we communicated, we understood each other,'' he said. "I understood what he wanted, and he understood how I was, how I have a passion to win.

On the back page of Thursday's New York Daily News, the woeful Knicks were called "The Biggest Mess in Sports.''

"It is a hard time right now [with the Knicks]. Everybody is a little jumpy,'' Ariza said. "Nobody really knows [what is going to happen]. . . . I was in it with those guys. So I really know what it feels like. It is hard. It is really, really hard.''

Ariza could not practice with the Magic on Thursday because he hadn't taken a physical yet.

Smith said he believes that the 20-year-old Ariza is "a diamond in the rough'' despite Brown's assessment.

"He had to get out of that barrage in New York,'' Smith said.

Ariza, 6 feet 7 and 200 pounds, was taken in the second round by the Knicks in the 2004 draft and is considered a strong defender. He averaged 4.6 points and 3.8 rebounds in 36 games.

"There was no way I was going to get an opportunity to play [in New York],'' he said. "I think the Knicks did a good thing by giving me a chance to go someplace where they see fit that I play.''

Brian Schmitz can be reached at bschmitz@orlandosentinel.com. Josh Robbins of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
2/24/2006  12:28 PM
Based on the way he acted here, you'd think that Ariza took 3 hours to get a haircut because his head seemed so big here.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
~You can't run from who you are.~
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/24/2006  12:41 PM
i dont' really get the sense that Ariza has a big head from this article... he's just happy to go someplace where he's likely to get an opportunity to play... it's natural for any young player to feel this way, especially one that's in his contract year.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
2/24/2006  12:56 PM
I'm not talking about in the article I am talking about his tenure in NY. His first year he played hi heart out and played great, then this year, even before we signed Larry, he didn't improve, and rested on his laurels. In S/L he played like crap and coasted when based on his performance last year he should have been one of the best players there.

As a second round pick with one good season that was only marginally above average for a rookie anyway, to question a coach of LB's ability and credentials less than 2 months into the season....that is just an arrogant and conceited move. I mean if there was ONE player from last year's team we thought was a LB player 9.9999999 people out of 10 people would have said it was Ariza.
~You can't run from who you are.~
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
2/24/2006  1:03 PM
yea, I agree joe, and I am a huge ariza fan, I was dissapointed that he did not improve his handles and jumpshot, I still think he can be a player in this league, but next year is his third year in the league, when will he start putting in the time? I wish the best for him, he is a good kid, a little delusional like LB said, but a good kid...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/24/2006  1:04 PM
i agree that questioning the coach was out of line in his situation, but i can understand his frustration over his lack of playing time... i think this is the best move for both parties... Ariza may be good someday, but he'd never get the chance in NY
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MinsHeartsReezy
USA
2/24/2006  1:35 PM
I like how Ariza is labeled arrogant when LB was the one who lowered himself to name calling. Seems logical enough.
Also LB has a habit of publicly calling out his players, making comments and "pointing fingers" at them whether they are young or a veteran. Nothing wrong with questioning a player's efforts or intentions but there is correct manner to do so. Furthermore, I dont think a coach regardless of his resume is exempt from such scrutiny either.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/24/2006  5:20 PM
Reezy's got a ton of talent and potential and a lot of flair. His game went backward this year, a good deal of that has to be that he and Larry weren't on the same page. Maybe he had a bit of a sophmore slump as well. I hope the guy flourishes in Orlando. He'll certainly have the best tutor possible in Grant Hill.
Steph & Steve: Lets Play (Article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy