[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Larry is now buying groceries..How are you liking dinner?
Author Thread
holfresh
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1081

2/24/2006  12:11 AM
The last two deals for JRose and Franchise has Larry's prints all over them...

Most people here would love to give Larry the reigns to see what he can do..

Well here you are, a glimpse into what Larry has in store for you...No thought of the future..

He is 65 years old and from the look of things he is working on a 2-3 year plan...

The good thing about this for Larry is that if it works out he gets the credit...

If it doesn't well Zeke gets the blame......

The press and the basketball world is now mocking the Knicks... saying it's the worst run organization in sports......

Well guys it dinner time and I hope you like it......

AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/24/2006  12:20 AM
i posted about Isiah handing the reigns over to LB a few weeks ago & some didn't believe it was true... well, it looks like it's looking more & more like LB is the one in charge around here now, not Isiah.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
2/24/2006  12:24 AM
They could be co-in charge....I hope since Larry likes Stevie, Stevie returns the love in the form of hellacious defense.
~You can't run from who you are.~
holfresh

2/24/2006  1:48 AM

Wow...I remember the days you couldn't say anything about Larry and not have 50 people down you throat....I guess they are beginning to see the light.....
oohah
Member: #887
2/24/2006  1:54 AM
Wow...I remember the days you couldn't say anything about Larry and not have 50 people down you throat....I guess they are beginning to see the light.....

You can thank LB for that.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
holfresh

2/24/2006  3:01 AM

This is a little interesting...Good to see everyone on the same page.....

Knicks: A Ball of Confusion or on Right Track?

E-Mail This
* Printer-Friendly
* Save Article

By REUTERS
Published: February 24, 2006

Filed at 0:34 a.m. ET
Skip to next paragraph Reuters

NEW YORK (Reuters) - There is a temptation to call the New York Knicks a ball of confusion, yet general manager Isiah Thomas insists they are moving in the right direction.

New addition Steve Francis, an accomplished guard acquired from Orlando before Thursday's NBA trade deadline, shares the explosive skills and style of backcourt mate Stephon Marbury, a scorer who has struggled to please coach Larry Brown.

Before the deadline, Brown said he hoped to add defensive grit and a true distributor at point guard.

Thomas sees progress in his Knicks, whose 15-38 record is second-worst in the NBA despite a league-high payroll that exceeds the league's salary cap by more than $60 million.

``The record doesn't indicate the success we have had in upgrading the roster and upgrading the talent,'' said Thomas, pointing out the average age of the team is about five years younger than the roster he inherited some two years ago.

``We have a lot of players other teams want and we have two draft picks. We feel good about the direction we are headed. Our future is bright.''

Brown said after Thursday's practice that he and Thomas were on the same page about adding Francis, whose great leaping ability and tenacity make him a strong rebounder for a guard.

The coach, however, will need to find unison with Marbury.

Marbury said after practice it was only natural now for the Knicks to adopt a run-and-gun, free-flowing fastbreak attack given the new backcourt.

``When we get it going and when we figure it out, we'll be tough to stop. That's a fact,'' said Marbury. ``I don't see too many guards that will want to see us every night.''

Marbury, who also clashed with Brown's orthodox approach to leading an offense when he played for him on the disappointing 2004 U.S. Olympic team, said the Knicks should change style.

``I don't think we should be running any set plays. I think we should be pushing the ball every chance we get because we've got so many athletic guys on the team and so many guys that can make plays,'' he said. ``I think we should run and gun.''

MAD SCIENTIST

Brown, a mad scientist in his first Knicks season experimenting with 32 different lineups as he gauges the talents of a youthful and ever-changing squad, will go back to the drawing board to figure a way to make the Francis/Marbury tandem work.

The 65-year-old Hall of Fame coach wore a tight grin in deflecting a suggestion the Knicks try a free-wheeling style.

``The only way you can run is if you get stops,'' Brown said. ''We lead the league in fouls, that stops you from running. We lead the league in turnovers, that makes other teams run. We haven't been the best defensive rebounding team, which keeps you from running and we've given up a lot of points.

``If we get stops and we keep people off the line and we defensive rebound, we'll have ample opportunities to run and I'd be a happy person.''

Francis, who did not practice because Trevor Ariza, one of the Knicks sent in return to the Magic, had not yet passed his physical, took the middle ground.

``We'll have opportunities to push the ball, and other times when we'll have to set up,'' said Francis. ``What we need to do is try to win some games and try to gain confidence.''

Francis, like Marbury, is 29, has played for several teams and never advanced in the playoffs. He suggested he and Marbury could turn their disappointments into success together.

``You have to have some scars if you want to succeed. That's how I look at it,'' he said. ``People here in New York can say the same thing. They've been bumped around. You just have to come out fighting.

[Edited by - holfresh on 02-24-2006 03:02 AM]
OldFan
Member: #446
2/24/2006  4:17 AM
Posted by holfresh:

Well - cause your obviously looking for an argument. I'll disagree with your premise. I don't think the deals have Larry's hands all over em. I don't doubt he had some say but I think these deals say IT as much pr more then LB. Wasn't IT interested in Rose last year. Doesn't Francis fit Isiah's MO exactly - get talent regardless of fit.

Do I think LB hates the Francis trade - no. He gave up two players he wasn't playing for someone that might help him. Worst case he sits him down and hasn't lost anything.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
2/24/2006  4:46 AM
Posted by OldFan:

Doesn't Francis fit Isiah's MO exactly - get talent regardless of fit.
4:17am! Wow oldfan, I thought I was the only one that couldnt sleep! I disagree. I think Isiah only traded for players that were younger and more athletic. I think this is all LB. It is only an opinion, not supported by any facts.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/24/2006  4:55 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by OldFan:

Doesn't Francis fit Isiah's MO exactly - get talent regardless of fit.
4:17am! Wow oldfan, I thought I was the only one that couldnt sleep! I disagree. I think Isiah only traded for players that were younger and more athletic. I think this is all LB. It is only an opinion, not supported by any facts.

4:46am! Silver and Oldfan, wouldn't you agree that being a Knicks' fan is not conducive to getting a good night's sleep at this particular point in time?! If nothing else, those image of Steph and Stevie in Wham hairdos . . .
Silverfuel
USA
2/24/2006  5:18 AM
Crazy! I guess no one is getting any sleep. Lets hope we beat the Nets so that I can get some sleep over the weekend.
islesfan
Member: #712
2/24/2006  6:01 AM
I'm sure LB has been pining for Rose and Francis and forced Isiah to acquire them. I guess this season has been so rough that some people have switched from Kool-Aid to Crack to help them get through it.

LB hated Rose when he coached him last and Francis exemplifies everything that he dislikes in PG's. Just like Marbury who he has no use for, so why not get another one to play beside him. Yeah, I'm sure LB wanted them.

Just wondering but isn't it Isiah's job as the President and GM of this team to set the course of the franchise and stick to it, by acquiring the types of players AND coach who will fit what he's trying to accomplish? You don't say that you're now in a rebuilding stage and then hire a coach who wants to part of one. And you don't let that coach dictate the direction of the franchise, allowing him to deviate from your alleged plan. What kind of crap is that? Some of you talk about posters having lack of patience but what about Isiah? Half a season into his rebuilding "plan" and now he's changing gears again?

What happens if Isiah can't turn these "assets" into a real franchise player? Unless you believe Isiah when he says that there's a big market for these overpriced and underachieving players, we're going to be stuck with them or we'll just keep going with the vicious cycle that Isiah has us in.

What did I say when Isiah was hired? That he was going to put us into a bigger hole than Layden ever put us in. Even I couldn't have imagined how badly this would turn out. The Knicks are a complete laughingstock and we have Isiah to thank for it. But you can be a sucker and follow Isiah's lead of deflecting the blame to LB.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Silverfuel
USA
2/24/2006  6:07 AM

Posted by islesfan:

I'm sure LB has been pining for Rose and Francis and forced Isiah to acquire them. I guess this season has been so rough that some people have switched from Kool-Aid to Crack to help them get through it.
islesfan, did you read Larry Brown's quote in the post? There is a thread dedicated to it.

Brown took credit for spurring the Francis deal, despite speculation he preferred using Penny Hardaway's contract for Ratliff. "I bugged Isiah when I saw [Francis'] name," Brown said.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/62359.htm
islesfan
2/24/2006  6:16 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Posted by islesfan:

islesfan, did you read Larry Brown's quote in the post? There is a thread dedicated to it.

Brown took credit for spurring the Francis deal, despite speculation he preferred using Penny Hardaway's contract for Ratliff. "I bugged Isiah when I saw [Francis'] name," Brown said.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/62359.htm

Seriously, what's he supposed to say? Just use your common sense and understanding of what type of players LB likes and do you honestly believe that LB wanted either Rose or Francis? If they had made a trade for Ratliff instead I would have to agree with the premise somewhat but there is absolutely nothing to make anyone believe they are the types of players that LB wants.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Silverfuel
USA
2/24/2006  6:35 AM
Posted by islesfan:

Seriously, what's he supposed to say? Just use your common sense and understanding of what type of players LB likes and do you honestly believe that LB wanted either Rose or Francis? If they had made a trade for Ratliff instead I would have to agree with the premise somewhat but there is absolutely nothing to make anyone believe they are the types of players that LB wants.
The only thing he as the coach is compelled to say is that this is not a bad trade. He doesnt have to say, "I bugged Isiah..." if he didnt want him!!
islesfan
2/24/2006  6:59 AM
From today's Daily News:

"The prevailing thought around the league is that Thomas, the team president, made a deal that his head coach couldn't possibly have endorsed. With those factors in mind, Thomas and Brown met the media yesterday in an effort to show a unified front and to explain that Brown was in favor of acquiring Francis."

If people here don't want to see, not just the obvious but the blatantly obvious, then there's not much I can say.
Silverfuel
USA
2/24/2006  7:10 AM
Posted by islesfan:

If people here don't want to see, not just the obvious but the blatantly obvious, then there's not much I can say.
Its hard to argue with a direct quote but I see your point.
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
2/24/2006  8:05 AM
>>What did I say when Isiah was hired?

Islesfan - must your agenda ALWAYS be about proving how much smarter you are than everyone else?

Layden got four years of nothing but sidegrades.

What is the problem with affording Isiah Thomas the same time to allow the mix to mix?

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 02-24-2006 08:06 AM]
once a knick always a knick
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/24/2006  8:25 AM
Posted by joec32033:

They could be co-in charge....I hope since Larry likes Stevie, Stevie returns the love in the form of hellacious defense.

Yeah, I'd asssume they're co-in charge too. You wouldn't say Isiah is coaching the team just because Larry's starting a rookie and a 23 year old, and giving about 20 mpg to another rookie Nate. I wouldn't reach the reverse conclusion (Larry being in charge) just because Isiah is getting players they both like either.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/24/2006  8:27 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by islesfan:

The only thing he as the coach is compelled to say is that this is not a bad trade. He doesnt have to say, "I bugged Isiah..." if he didnt want him!!
Exactly; Larry's definitely putting himself on the line too by giving such an explicit, direct endorsement of the trade. It would have been the polite thing to do to express no disagreement with the trade, but he went WAY beyond that. Coaches seldom (if ever?) talk at news conferences about "bugging" their GMs to trade for the guys that he traded for.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02-24-2006 08:43 AM]
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
2/24/2006  8:43 AM
>>Yeah, I'd asssume they're co-in charge too. You wouldn't say Isiah is coaching the team just because Larry's starting a rookie and a 23 year old, and giving about 20 mpg to another rookie Nate. I wouldn't reach the reverse conclusion (Larry being in charge) just because Isiah is getting players they both like either.

Bonn - you can't sell newspapers forwarding the position that two strong leaders can actually respect each other and be productive over the long run.

You NEED tension to make a good story and plenty of juicy good stories to SELL the news day after day

It's not personal. It's strictly business

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 02-24-2006 08:44 AM]
once a knick always a knick
Larry is now buying groceries..How are you liking dinner?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy