Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/7/2002  12:49 AM
Trade for Van Exel Not Easy for Knicks
By CHRIS BROUSSARD
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/07/sports/basketball/07KNIC.html

Unable to land Andre Miller or Baron Davis, the Knicks are turning their attention to the Dallas Mavericks' playmaker, Nick Van Exel. But even though Van Exel is available, some familiar obstacles could hinder the Knicks' ability to bring him to New York.

As in their pursuit of Miller, the Knicks may have to involve a third or fourth team in a trade for Van Exel, not because Dallas finds their players undesirable, but because a traditional two-team swap may not benefit the Knicks.

There has been speculation all summer about a deal that would send Kurt Thomas and Charlie Ward to Dallas for Van Exel, and although the talk is largely unsubstantiated, it is a trade the Mavericks might consider. They like Thomas, a Dallas native, and he and Ward, who would back up Steve Nash, would improve the Mavericks' woeful defense.

But as talented as Van Exel is — and as explosive as a perimeter offense that featured him, Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell would be — the undersized Knicks cannot afford to give up Thomas, their starting center, without getting a starting-caliber big man in return. Dallas could perhaps throw into a deal the restricted free agent, Wang Zhizhi, a 7-footer, but that may be unlikely.

So Scott Layden, the Knicks' president and general manager, will soon begin searching for a third team that could supply the Knicks with a center in such a trade.

The Knicks are still in discussions with Michael Doleac, the free agent center who played with the Cleveland Cavaliers, and Layden still has some interest in Keon Clark, a free agent from Toronto. But neither player is viewed as a starting center on a good team, so trading Thomas for Van Exel and signing Doleac or Clark would still leave the Knicks wanting in the middle.

The Knicks only want to sign Doleac or Clark if the price is right. The reason they have yet to acquire Doleac is because they are offering him only the $1.4 million exception. Doleac, who made $2 million last season, is reluctant to take a pay cut, but with few teams interested in him, he has little leverage. Nonetheless, he may want to wait a while to see if any better offers come his way.

For several reasons, the Knicks have yet to focus on the energetic and athletic Clark. First, they believed that he wanted to play in a warm weather city and did not want to come to New York, and second, he is said to have a poor work ethic.

Clark's reputation for putting little into the game has diminished his market value.

He also has a court date to answer a citation for marijuana possession in his hometown of Danville, Ill., on July 28.

Sensing that they may now be able to cheaply get the 6-11 Clark, who averaged 11 points and 7 rebounds last season, the Knicks will begin reaching out to him again.

AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
8/7/2002  12:51 AM
basically 3-way swap for NVE, layden refuses to give up KT without getting a bigman back.

keon clark is going to be pursued.

Caseloads
8/7/2002  12:58 AM
golden state and utah both have big men they can give up. how do people feel about amaechi?

BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/7/2002  1:00 AM
Clark would be a great 6th man for the Knicks, as he can play SF, PF, or C and would be a "boost of energy" type player, similar to Camby in the '99 Finals run. I like how Layden is playing it safe with the Van Exel situation, and not giving up Thomas without getting someone big in return.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
8/7/2002  1:08 AM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Clark would be a great 6th man for the Knicks, as he can play SF, PF, or C and would be a "boost of energy" type player, similar to Camby in the '99 Finals run. I like how Layden is playing it safe with the Van Exel situation, and not giving up Thomas without getting someone big in return.
i think NVE is more important than thomas. thomas is on the receiving end, whereas, NVE is the sparkplug for the whole team. gets the team out and running, so to speak.
Fordy74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #51
USA
8/7/2002  12:29 PM
Amaechi would be a slight upgrade over Felton Spencer and Travis Knight. NO THANKS!! I think Mikki Moore would be better. I have seen Moore play and the kid is very athletic can rebound his ass off and is a very good shotblocker. Limited offensively but we wont need him to score. Ameichi is better offensively than Moore but cant rebound and block shots like Mikki. Mikki would be the better fit IMO.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
8/7/2002  1:03 PM
Mikki Moore no thanks!!! He is skinny as a rail. He is athletic but even a center like Jermaine Oneal would send him flying. He blocks well but is below average on everything else. We arent to the point where we will put just about anybody at Center, well not yet.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Dan1078
Member: #283
8/7/2002  1:30 PM
All of the centers that you guys are mentioning are not going to cut it. John Amaechi? Gimme a break. I wouldnt want that bloody wanker
starting at center for my team.

I think that the Knicks want a center who's a little more solid than skinny Keon. I also dont think they like his work ethic.
Caseloads
8/7/2002  1:52 PM
Posted by Dan1078:

All of the centers that you guys are mentioning are not going to cut it. John Amaechi? Gimme a break. I wouldnt want that bloody wanker
starting at center for my team.

I think that the Knicks want a center who's a little more solid than skinny Keon. I also dont think they like his work ethic.
oh, ok. since you have great answers - who do you think we can realistically get to play center - via trade or free-agent signing?

(please don't say ewing - he's done.)

layden should be calling up sabonis right about now.
Dan1078
8/7/2002  2:31 PM
Ewing? What jackass would elect to bring Ewing back for a starting center role?

Forget Sabonis, the guy is ancient. He'sa big guy with an outside touch. Why the hell would the Knicks get him when they can get the same qualities in a younger Doleac?

I say the Knicks try to acquire Erik Dampier or Adonal Foyle.

They could trade Harrington (who has a small contract) and Knight for Dampier.
Caseloads
8/7/2002  3:13 PM
Posted by Dan1078:

Ewing? What jackass would elect to bring Ewing back for a starting center role?

Forget Sabonis, the guy is ancient. He'sa big guy with an outside touch. Why the hell would the Knicks get him when they can get the same qualities in a younger Doleac?

I say the Knicks try to acquire Erik Dampier or Adonal Foyle.

They could trade Harrington (who has a small contract) and Knight for Dampier.

those are two good guys, but what do we have that GS would want?

they don't want Eisley, or Ward. They don't need a PF really, as they have that spot solidified. Jamison. They don't need an overpriced SG, and they have SF's already.

Also, Dampier is viewed as a bust, with a long contract, and Foyle is 6'9"... but they are still decent prospects at center. Although, i'd argue that Bradley and Ostertag are just as decent.

As for Centers, there really aren't enough in the NBA to go around... that are decent anyway. Any decent Center prospect from the time they are young want to play PF, and since we've gotten used to big centers (players over 7 feet), we expect the center spot to be manned by Shaq clones. In the past, 6'9" and taller players used to be sufficient and often played center. I know the center spot is not just about height, but blocking shots, having a back to the basket game and playing in the post. Usually, hook shots were part of a center's game as well. In the current NBA, not many young players are willing to play with their backs to the basket. Look at Tim Duncan. The guy should be a center, but instead wants to play PF.

David Robinson also used to play PF back when they had some other white dude playing Center on the spurs in the mid-90s...

Center is just a rare spot to fill... and are a dying breed in the NBA.

nwny
Member: #284
8/8/2002  12:48 AM
David Robinson also used to play PF back when they had some other white dude playing Center on the spurs in the mid-90s...

No. David Robinson never played PF.
Caseloads
8/8/2002  9:55 AM
Posted by nwny:

No. David Robinson never played PF.
yes he did, when wemmington was on the team back in mid 90s
nwny
8/8/2002  2:24 PM
No. If you watched the games it might have appeared that he was playing PF. He's never really had a back-to-the basket game. He was the fastest big-man in the league at one time. He would set-up on the outside and drive past his defender. Like KG. In essence he was playing one of the Forward spots. What I was reffering to was he was offically the center. This is the position the PA aunoucer introduced him as, and this appears on all hid NBA stats for that time period. BTW even though he's listed today as the center and Duncan is listed as the PF, watch any Spurs game and you will see that Duncan is really playing center. But offically Robinson is the center.
Dan1078
8/8/2002  3:00 PM
Jack Haley played center at the time for the Spurs.
nwny
8/8/2002  3:34 PM
Jack Haley played center at the time for the Spurs.
Wasn't he in the Wizard of Oz?
Great NYTimes.com article - Tons of INFO

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy