8/6/2002  5:59 PM
Good trade for Nets
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/6/2002  6:36 PM
Who's going to score the points for them? Kidd can only alley-oop KMart and Jefferson so many times.
#Knickstaps
vinzie27
Member: #129
8/6/2002  7:29 PM
kmart and jefferson is most likely going to improve a lot over the summer. They are going to come back with new facets to their game. if all else fails, they'll let mutombo do his hooks
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/6/2002  7:35 PM
It was a good trade for NJ, though they do get older. They will be better next year though, but have less young talent. I don't think it helps Philly that much. I guess they get a replacement for Harpring and a scorer for when Iverson gets in trouble again.
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/6/2002  7:52 PM
The ESPN report.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0806/1414865.html
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/6/2002  7:58 PM
I think the Nets are thinking forward to the NBA finals next year. They need someone who can at least stay on the court with Shaq...and get some calls against him. Todd M. was developing injury problems and Van Horn disappeared in crunch time. ALso Jefferson must be coming along nicely.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Fordy74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #51
USA
8/6/2002  8:42 PM
Mutombo plays Shaq better than just about anyone else I have seen. Todd Macc got embarrassed by Shaq. Alot of people have been crapped on by Shaq but Todd Macc was like a feather trying to guard him. PLus the Nets get rid of the Van Horn headache and now Richard Jefferson can get his 35 minutes a game. Good deal for NJ.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/6/2002  8:53 PM
The only people I've seen who defended Shaq well was Vlade Divac in the Conference Finals last year and Hakeem Olajuwon in 1995. Dikembe is a huge upgrade over TMack though, and at least will give them a chance.
#Knickstaps
killacross
Member: #58
USA
8/6/2002  9:25 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Who's going to score the points for them? Kidd can only alley-oop KMart and Jefferson so many times.

Deek will still get double digit points per game as long as he plays in the east. Although the trade takes van horns scoring away from the starting lineup... it allows their bench to become much more offensive minded. Now you will see a scorer like possible free agent signee rodney rogers off the bench instead of defensive minded richardson. Look for kittles scoring average to also rise -if he stays healthy- as he will get some of the 3 pt looks that van horn did.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/7/2002  12:08 AM
Posted by killacross:
Posted by BigSm00th:

Deek will still get double digit points per game as long as he plays in the east. Although the trade takes van horns scoring away from the starting lineup... it allows their bench to become much more offensive minded. Now you will see a scorer like possible free agent signee rodney rogers off the bench instead of defensive minded richardson. Look for kittles scoring average to also rise -if he stays healthy- as he will get some of the 3 pt looks that van horn did.
why couldn't we have gotten deke for AH and thomas?
no matter, deke is on a downward slide, and the nets still wont beat the lakers. the best thing is ditching van horn's (long) contract and letting jefferson into the starting lineup.

why philly made this move, i have no clue. they could have dealt deke to portland and gotten more in return.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/7/2002  4:27 AM
Well Deke has become very SLOW so I don't know if it really helps them on the field. The Nets did however get a shorter contract in return for KVH, can start Jefferson now without any lockerroom problems, can play Jason Collins when Deke irritates Bryon Scott and already have a young center stud drafted and coming next year in Nenad Krstic so essentially it's a safe gamble the Nets could take.
Caseloads
8/7/2002  8:48 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Well Deke has become very SLOW so I don't know if it really helps them on the field. The Nets did however get a shorter contract in return for KVH, can start Jefferson now without any lockerroom problems, can play Jason Collins when Deke irritates Bryon Scott and already have a young center stud drafted and coming next year in Nenad Krstic so essentially it's a safe gamble the Nets could take.
true. by the time mutombo is gone, or traded, collins and nenad are going to be solid.
nwny
Member: #284
8/7/2002  9:14 PM
This is huge for both teams.
NJ makes up Van Horn's scoring with Kittles and Jefferson (he can score in bunches) who will now start. They get Dikembe a guy who can erase 10 of the openents points all by himself. Also he was outscoring MacCulloch. (11.5 to 9.7.)
Philly loses Dikembe defense but they get more scoring 15 form Van Horn and 9.7 from MacCalloch ( center who knows their system). Also Van Horn can rebound.
Win, Win
Starks3
Member: #211
USA
8/7/2002  10:36 PM
I dont think it makes the nets that much better then they already where...Kidd is most likely gone after this year and they get an ageing center who already was in the finals agaisnt shaq and dint last...and that time he had the best player in the league..so what do the nets think a player already 2 years removed from being dominated by shaq is going to do for them...oh well but i guess they'll still be better then the Knicks
Cursed no more!!! Knicks are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
nwny
8/8/2002  1:27 AM
I dont think it makes the nets that much better then they already where...Kidd is most likely gone after this year and they get an ageing center who already was in the finals agaisnt shaq and dint last...and that time he had the best player in the league..so what do the nets think a player already 2 years removed from being dominated by shaq is going to do for them...
This is stupid. Where would he go? Haven’t you been paying attention to what’s happening in the NBA? Salaries are going down. Since NJ can pay him as much as they want because he’s there player, he won’t leave because of money. And he won’t leave because of talent because as you can see they are trying to give him every thing he needs to win.
As for Deke, even without AI, I think he is surrounded by a much better team than that Philly team. He better offensively and defensibly than MacColloch. They do loose some scoring with Van Horn gone but they have other guys who can step up. The Nets are a much improved team.
Explosive23
Member: #184
United Kingdom
8/8/2002  4:16 AM
Apparently the Knicks would have traded for Mutombo: http://www.nytimes.com/2002/08/08/sports/basketball/08KNIC.html
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/8/2002  5:55 AM
If it's true that's mighty depressing. KT, Ward and Knight for Mutombo, who wouldn't do that? It clears up roster spots and gets rid of Knight who never gets any pt because he just plain ol' sux, and this without touching any of the exceptions.

unbelievable
nwny
8/8/2002  9:36 AM
I believe this is one of those stupid untrue rumors I have ever heard. "Unnamed sources,” say the Knicks passed on Dikembe for Thomas, Ward and Knight! Give me break. This is the stupidest rumor I've ever heard. Philly gives up one of the last few remaining true centers in the NBA to have Knight play center, and a PG, and PF they don't need or want? The Rumor is Philly proposed this trade and we turned it down? No one is that stupid. Philly would never offer a trade that dumb. They have nothing to gain by doing this.
Caseloads
8/8/2002  10:13 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

If it's true that's mighty depressing. KT, Ward and Knight for Mutombo, who wouldn't do that? It clears up roster spots and gets rid of Knight who never gets any pt because he just plain ol' sux, and this without touching any of the exceptions.

unbelievable
did you guys see mutombo play this year compared to last year? He sucked. I'm serious - he was much slower, and next year he'll lose another step. why do you think philly traded him away? they knew he had started a STEEP decline. Remember when Patrick started his steep decline and now is at rock bottom? Philly saw it coming with Mutombo.
Muttumbo to NJ, Macallough, Van Horn back to Phill

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy