So, Layden wants to bring Van Exel,
it will be a good deal??
hopefully.
falcindor
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #42
USA
8/5/2002  1:02 PM
Center 1st priority once we get a starting center we can focus on PG. VanExel is a good PG but too scoring oriented to mesh withg Spree AND Houston.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/5/2002  1:20 PM
Posted by falcindor:

Center 1st priority once we get a starting center we can focus on PG. VanExel is a good PG but too scoring oriented to mesh withg Spree AND Houston.

Thats a bad idea, there aren't any good centers out their so might as well try and get a good point guard. You can put any stiff at center in the eastern conference and get results. If the Knicks keep waiting they will miss out on NVE and be left with a 4 points a game center anyways.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/5/2002  1:40 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by nykfan:

it will be a good deal??
hopefully.

man, I still don't get the high remarks for Van Exel. Big contract, bad attitude, bad knees and a shoot-first point guard. Any trade for Van would have to involve Thomas... what I want to know is: with 3 prime scorers in Houston, Spree and Dice, what do you gain is Van Exel that losing Thomas would bring?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/5/2002  1:42 PM
Posted by falcindor:

must upgrade when and where you can - we can't play the entire season with ward and eisley at the pg... remember ward's knees are unreliable?!
Caseloads
8/5/2002  1:44 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by nykfan:

it will be a good deal??
hopefully.

man, I still don't get the high remarks for Van Exel. Big contract, bad attitude, bad knees and a shoot first point guard. Any trade from Van would have to involve Thomas... what I want to know is: with 3 prime scorers in Houston, Spree and Dice, what do you gain is Van Exel that losing Thomas would bring?
with all that said, vanX is an upgrade over ward/eisley.

kt is solid for us, but vanX would probably be a bit better...
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
8/5/2002  2:31 PM
If the Mavs sign Rashard Lewis, would they still be interested in KT? I know that Lewis is primarily a small forward, but he is 6'10" and probably could move to PF. Hopefully they'd still want KT.

I'd love to have Van Exel. He's proved then when he has guys to pass to, he does. His last full season with McDyess in Denver, he averaged 21 points and 8 assists. That's better then anybody on the Knicks last year. For KT, his trade value is never going to be higher. Still, the Knicks need 2 centers before I'd trade him away. If VE came here, I'd hope for 17 points and 10 assists. With McDyess putting up 20 and 10, Houston putting up 20, and Spree with 18, that's a ton of scoring just in 4 players. I'd do it.
#Knickstaps
nwny
Member: #284
8/5/2002  3:17 PM
If the Mavs sign Rashard Lewis, would they still be interested in KT? I know that Lewis is primarily a small forward, but he is 6'10" and probably could move to PF.
No he's can't play PF. Being a PF is lot more than height. For example Kevin Garnett is 7', but he can't play center
Caseloads
8/5/2002  3:21 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

If the Mavs sign Rashard Lewis, would they still be interested in KT? I know that Lewis is primarily a small forward, but he is 6'10" and probably could move to PF. Hopefully they'd still want KT.

I'd love to have Van Exel. He's proved then when he has guys to pass to, he does. His last full season with McDyess in Denver, he averaged 21 points and 8 assists. That's better then anybody on the Knicks last year. For KT, his trade value is never going to be higher. Still, the Knicks need 2 centers before I'd trade him away. If VE came here, I'd hope for 17 points and 10 assists. With McDyess putting up 20 and 10, Houston putting up 20, and Spree with 18, that's a ton of scoring just in 4 players. I'd do it.
houston has never scored more than 20 ppg as a season average.

look for these numbers to be the case if we're healthy (without vanX)

houston: 17ppg
spree: 16ppg
dice: 19ppg 10 rpg
------------------
with van x

houston: 15ppg
spree: 15ppg
dice: 18ppg 10rpg
vanX: 15ppg 9apg

Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/5/2002  3:30 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by BigSm00th:

------------------
with van x

What do mean Houston never scored 20 points a game for the season. He averaged 20.4 points a game last year. Those projections are somewhat acurate but I think next year there will be more shots to go around. The Knicks will probably be running more. If they get NVE then look for the knicks to be one of the highest scoring team in the NBA. With that said hope they play good defense because I believe the most important stat in Basketball is the points difference margine.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/5/2002  3:32 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by BigSm00th:

------------------
with van x

yeah, but where does the rebonding and defense come in? And who starts at center? The above would be the smallest line up in the NBA.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigSm00th
USA
8/5/2002  3:33 PM
Unless last season was some sort of mirage, I remember Houston averaging 20+ ppg last year. (I checked, it was 20.4). Either way, with Van Exel, Houston, Sprewell, and McDyess, the Knicks will have 4 threats a game who could catch fire and go for 30+. I think Spree or Houston would average more then 15 a game, but that's just me.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
8/5/2002  5:08 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Unless last season was some sort of mirage, I remember Houston averaging 20+ ppg last year. (I checked, it was 20.4). Either way, with Van Exel, Houston, Sprewell, and McDyess, the Knicks will have 4 threats a game who could catch fire and go for 30+. I think Spree or Houston would average more then 15 a game, but that's just me.
how would they? there are only so many shots to go around, and spreading it out over 3 players is rough. sorry, i thought i saw somewhere that neither houston or latrell averaged over 20ppg last season, i thought houston's was 19.6 or so... maybe his career avg is lower than 20ppg. someone check on that.

regardless... we need someone to play center, and who is going to do it?

Jazz trolling for point guards
Added: 5th August, 2002

The Jazz's focus in the free-agency market has shifted for the time being to two guards who can play the point, Damon Jones and Erick Strickland, and an injury-hampered small forward from Philadelphia, Matt Harpring.

"Yeah, (there is) interest in both," Kevin O'Connor, the Jazz's vice president of basketball operations, said of Jones and Strickland, undrafted journeymen who played last season in Detroit and Boston, respectively.

With 40-year-old all-time NBA steals and assists leader John Stockton expected to return for a 19th season with the Jazz and Spanish rookie Raul Lopez prepared to play his first season in Utah, the Jazz hope to sign an experienced and affordable guard who can handle the ball.

"It's a position-need we have," O'Connor said. "We would like to carry three point guards."

-------------------------

Maybe send them Eisley - familiar with their system for Greg Ostertag? I know 'Tag is garbage and just donated a kidney, but he'd survive out east, and is probably better than doleac and has a reasonable UTAH connection which is a Layden MUST...
BigSm00th
USA
8/5/2002  5:27 PM
I would definitely try to swing Eisley for Ostertag, especially since his contract is up after 2003-2004. Eisley and Harrington for Ostertag works under the CBA, the Jazz would get a backup PF in Harrington who is real cheap, and a PG. For some reason they want three PGs, have they seen the Knicks and their problems? Anyway, if you did that deal, then signed Oakley to the vet minimum and Keon Clark for part of the exception, you'd be looking at this rotation:

PG- Ward, Williams
SG- Houston, Anderson
SF- Sprewell, Weatherspoon
PF- McDyess, Clark
C- Ostertag, Oakley, Thomas

Trade KT/Ward for Van Exel, you'd have this lineup, and be set for the season:

PG- Van Exel, Williams
SG- Houston, Anderson
SF- Sprewell, Weatherspoon
PF- McDyess, Clark
C- Ostertag, Oakley

That's a hell of a lineup, 4 reliable scorers (Van Exel, Houston, Sprewell, McDyess), a decent center in Ostertag, plus reliable defenders and rebounders in Clark and Oakley.
#Knickstaps
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/5/2002  5:54 PM
Well if I read the numerous articles correctly, if the Mavs somehow get Rashard Lewis they'll play Nowitzki at the PF slot, creating a very tall lineup

PG Nash

SG Finley

SF Lewis

PF Nowitzki

C LaFrentz

this is what they pitched to Rashard Lewis anyway, as he'll have to get some minutes or why else sign with the Mavs?

So yes, eventhough they really need a regular PF Rashard Lewis signing with the mavs might mean KT isn't their focus anymore, just a guess anyway.
BigSm00th
USA
8/5/2002  6:17 PM
They might still look to acquire him for defensive and rebounding purposes, similar to what Greg Buckner and Edjuardo Najera played last year for them.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
8/5/2002  9:03 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

They might still look to acquire him for defensive and rebounding purposes, similar to what Greg Buckner and Edjuardo Najera played last year for them.
yeah, and buck is gone... they want crazy eyes... i mean, who else in the nba besides kt is psycho enough to taunt Shaq? Dudley did, and shaq banged him down.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/6/2002  8:33 AM
The Knicks are after Van Exel according to the Post today. I'm not sure who we should offer though. If we trade Thomas we could bring in Wang Zhi-Zhi or Shawn Bradley, but that wouldn't solve our center problems much. I'm stuck on this one. Maybe we could still make a move for Rasho Nesterovic and put some pressure on Minny to up there offer. Even if they were to agree to sign-and-trade they would want Thomas and that would be decent, but then we would have to try to get Van Exel using Ward and Harrington. Good luck there.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
8/6/2002  9:15 AM
well if the knicks get a center through trade they could use one of or part of the exceptions for one of the FA pg's.

Troy Hudson, Jeff McInnis or even Rafer Alston(for the million dollar exception) come to mind.

Would give the knicks a good PG without any long term headaches which VanX would be.
van exel?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy