Author Thread
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/4/2002  12:07 PM
From the NY Daily News today:

Knicks' deal-breaker?

What's the holdup between the Knicks and Michael Doleac? It's been a week since the Knicks agreed to pick up the free-agent backup center. Persons familiar with the delay say that Knicks prez Scott Layden has concerns over Doleac's left ankle. Doleac broke the ankle last season and had to miss 30 games. If the Knicks think there's still a problem, look for them to go elsewhere for help in the middle.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
8/4/2002  12:27 PM
Who else is left to sign?
#Knickstaps
Explosive23
Member: #184
United Kingdom
8/4/2002  12:40 PM
Isn't Keon Clark still an unrestricted FA? Though I did read that NY wasn't really interested in him so even if they don't sign Doleac, I don't see them going after Clark. If they don't sign Doleac, do you think Layden will sign someone just for the sake of it?
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
8/4/2002  5:38 PM
Has anyone noticed that there isn't a team interested in Doleac but the KNicks. If he was averaging 4points and 4 rebounds on a good ankle what is he going to be averaging with an injured ankle. Layden needs to realize this and stop trying to make all of Utah rich. Give Keon the contract and get NVE here as quickly as possible. Get Ewing here form Orlando as a backup and take it from there. Ewing still can be effective for 10-15 minutes a game. They still have Knight to backup Ewing.

[Edited by - Vmart on 08/04/2002 17:39:45]
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/4/2002  6:24 PM
Posted by Vmart:

Has anyone noticed that there isn't a team interested in Doleac but the KNicks. If he was averaging 4points and 4 rebounds on a good ankle what is he going to be averaging with an injured ankle. Layden needs to realize this and stop trying to make all of Utah rich. Give Keon the contract and get NVE here as quickly as possible. Get Ewing here form Orlando as a backup and take it from there. Ewing still can be effective for 10-15 minutes a game. They still have Knight to backup Ewing.

[Edited by - Vmart on 08/04/2002 17:39:45]
true. get nick and keon and call it quits.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/4/2002  9:50 PM
We need a center more than anything whether it's Doleac or Clark. We also should try to land Travis Best in a sign-and-trade for Ward/Eisley and/or Harrington or whatever works. I hear the Knicks are beginning to show some interest in him.
Caseloads
8/4/2002  11:15 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

We need a center more than anything whether it's Doleac or Clark. We also should try to land Travis Best in a sign-and-trade for Ward/Eisley and/or Harrington or whatever works. I hear the Knicks are beginning to show some interest in him.
ehh... best is 5'11'' - it's going to be a long season if we get Best'ed
Explosive23
Member: #184
United Kingdom
8/5/2002  10:30 AM
Posted by Explosive23:

Isn't Keon Clark still an unrestricted FA? Though I did read that NY wasn't really interested in him so even if they don't sign Doleac, I don't see them going after Clark. If they don't sign Doleac, do you think Layden will sign someone just for the sake of it?

Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/5/2002  4:41 PM
The Knicks could try for Cassell who i think is one of the most underrated players in the league. He put up nearly 20 pts, 7 asts last season and is probably one of the best players in NBA history never to be voted into an all-star game. We could send Sprewell and Ward and bring in Cassell, Kukoc and a center or whatever works under the cap. Also, i wouldn't want to improve Atlanta anymore nor rush into trading KT, because i really don't want to, but trading him for Nazr Mohammed straight up works capwise and for both teams talent wise. Mohammed is one of the most underrated big men in the league. He's young, big, versatile, and athletic. He could start at center and we would be in great shape. I think it will be KT starting which wouldn't be bad, but Nazr would be an upgrade at center.
Vmart
USA
8/5/2002  5:09 PM
Posted by Knixkik:

The Knicks could try for Cassell who i think is one of the most underrated players in the league. He put up nearly 20 pts, 7 asts last season and is probably one of the best players in NBA history never to be voted into an all-star game. We could send Sprewell and Ward and bring in Cassell, Kukoc and a center or whatever works under the cap. Also, i wouldn't want to improve Atlanta anymore nor rush into trading KT, because i really don't want to, but trading him for Nazr Mohammed straight up works capwise and for both teams talent wise. Mohammed is one of the most underrated big men in the league. He's young, big, versatile, and athletic. He could start at center and we would be in great shape. I think it will be KT starting which wouldn't be bad, but Nazr would be an upgrade at center.

I think that would be a good move, but I really think Cassell is going to the Bulls, in a three way deal which will send Payton to the Bucks, and Crawford, Fizer and Robinson to Seattle, Lewis might be involved too.
BigSm00th
USA
8/5/2002  5:16 PM
Why would the Bulls look to acquire a PG in Cassel when they just drafted Williams? Cassel's contract ends in 2006, and I'd say JWill will be ready to be a starter by the 2003-2004 season, with 2004-2005 being the latest. I think the Bucks are done, unless a legit shot at Payton surfaces.
#Knickstaps
Vmart
USA
8/5/2002  5:23 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

Why would the Bulls look to acquire a PG in Cassel when they just drafted Williams? Cassel's contract ends in 2006, and I'd say JWill will be ready to be a starter by the 2003-2004 season, with 2004-2005 being the latest. I think the Bucks are done, unless a legit shot at Payton surfaces.

The reasoning behind it is that Krause has promised Rose that they would be in the playoffs in two years. I guess they want to bring Williams along slowly. Krause thinks that adding an experienced point will get them into the playoffs. Besides Lewis might go to Bulls in the trade. Krause really wants him on the bulls and might take on Cassell just to get Lewis on the Bulls. If Williams is ready by next year Cassell has a friendly contract that can be moved easily.
BigSm00th
USA
8/5/2002  6:16 PM
Oh. The Bucks would be mad good with Allen, Payton, and Thomas all in the starting 5.
#Knickstaps
Caseloads
8/5/2002  8:56 PM
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by BigSm00th:

The reasoning behind it is that Krause has promised Rose that they would be in the playoffs in two years. I guess they want to bring Williams along slowly. Krause thinks that adding an experienced point will get them into the playoffs. Besides Lewis might go to Bulls in the trade. Krause really wants him on the bulls and might take on Cassell just to get Lewis on the Bulls. If Williams is ready by next year Cassell has a friendly contract that can be moved easily.
how do you know krause promised that?
Vmart
USA
8/6/2002  3:23 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by Vmart:
Posted by BigSm00th:

how do you know krause promised that?

I read it on espn.com they had an article on Cassell.
Doleac update

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy