Isiah's giving up control to LB / AD's remarks are very telling
Author Thread
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/9/2006  12:46 PM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/63254.htm
February 9, 2006 -- A bitter Antonio Davis attempted to open a can of worms when he told Toronto reporters yesterday that Isiah Thomas and Larry Brown weren't getting along.

"Larry and Isiah, they need to get on the same page," Davis said. "Is the team going younger or older? What are they doing? Where's the team going?"

Davis called the situation "a mess" and a "circus."

"I don't think it was derogatory," Brown said of Davis' remarks. "He was giving an opinion, saying Larry and Isiah have different opinions. It was about young or old. I don't know if that's derogatory. I'm telling you, we're on the same page, we're trying to win, trying to figure it out. He didn't tell me it would be easy when I took the job. I'm finding that out. Isiah's never told me who to play."

Brown said Thomas made a bizarre request yesterday, considering it's four months into the season.

"He wanted me to write down what kind of makeup of the team we would like, what kind of guards, forwards, centers," Brown said.

With the Feb. 23 trade deadline approaching, Thomas is looking to make another move, for a point guard.

Brown has clamored for another PG since November, believing rookie Nate Robinson will never become one. However, the Nuggets, who have talked to a handful of teams, including Seattle and Orlando, about Earl Watson, appear eager to move him in the next 24 hours, a source said, but the Knicks wish to wait until after the All-Star break. Steve Francis is also out there, but the Knicks don't have the means.

The undercurrent of Davis' remarks is Brown wants more veterans on the roster in lieu of Thomas' rookies. Veteran Jalen Rose's addition wiped rookie David Lee from the rotation, with Robinson soon to follow once Stephon Marbury returns.

Thomas is trying to hang on to the young kids he's drafted, but it's clear Brown and Thomas have a division over Robinson's future as a point guard.

Davis also touched another nerve, indicating the Knick players were not respecting Brown.

"It was nice to see some fresh faces and see guys who really cared about playing and listening to their coach, trying to do everything they can try to help each other and to win basketball games," Davis said.

A person familiar with the situation said the Knicks players are confused by Brown's changing rotations and his critiques to the media. Consequently, the person said, the players haven't bonded off the court and there's no on-court chemistry either.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
AUTOADVERT
oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
2/9/2006  12:49 PM
I think this deserved a bold too:

A person familiar with the situation said the Knicks players are confused by Brown's changing rotations and his critiques to the media. Consequently, the person said, the players haven't bonded off the court and there's no on-court chemistry either.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/9/2006  12:50 PM
Posted by oohah:

I think this deserved a bold too:

oohah

from what I hear, this is 100% spot on.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
2/9/2006  12:53 PM
just read that... very interesting indeed.

Larry may want some of his guys but he's no dummy either. He's well aware of the fact he's not winning titles with Kenny Thomas, Ratliff and Eric Snow. Now if LArry wants to bring in some of those guys, establish a style of play etc. and probably get the team to .500 I have no problem with that.

We are the worst team in the league. We are playing sub .300 ball. We are 20 games below .500 and its not even the all star break. The only proven thing we have in the whole organization is Larry Brown.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bippity10
Member: #574
2/9/2006  6:38 PM
We don't need stars. We don't need set line-ups for guys not playing hard. WE need an attitude change. We need players that are willing to work hard and give it there all regardless of the circumstances. There are very few of those on this team.
I just hope that people will like me
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/9/2006  7:55 PM
I don't think he's giving up control to Brown. Isiah is intelligently asking Brown for input. Brown's very smart and it would be foolish not to ask for such input.
When Brown started Frye and Lee, no one made the similar conclusion that Brown was giving full control to Isiah. Why not?

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02-09-2006 7:55 PM]
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
2/9/2006  8:03 PM
This team we all know was a mess to begin with.. First off, there are no leaders on this squad. second, this team don't know how to play hard every single game like it was their last.

They no show heart. No hard- nosed players!

That's why they should completly restructure the roster..

Isiah is horrible as GM/Pres.. He should've hired Larry first then remake the roster.. Not the other way around..

There are no LArry Brown typed players on the roster.. He's about to get some...
The Future. GO KNICKS!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/9/2006  8:06 PM
He should've hired Larry first then remake the roster
Larry was under contract with Detroit.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
2/9/2006  8:23 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
He should've hired Larry first then remake the roster
Larry was under contract with Detroit.

Not necessarily the remaking of the roster but specifically this past summer when he traded Kurt. Larry would've loved having Kurt.

The Future. GO KNICKS!
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
2/9/2006  10:23 PM
>siah is horrible as GM/Pres.. He should've hired Larry first then remake the roster.. Not the other way around..

Woodman - how was Isiah to steal Larry from Detroit in 2005 when he was under contract?
once a knick always a knick
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/9/2006  10:51 PM
Isiah is not a terrible GM....if anything he is the best in the business......he traded the bums we had and actually brought in young talent and draft picks....he did what eh said he would....no one would have thought this is what would happen as a result....all of the players he has brought in were good and had a good buzz going for them.....

I think Larry killed whatever fire they had when the season started.

Well If Isiah has a list of players Larry wants and if they are talking constantly then Isiah is the one I want on the phones....Isiah has proved to be a big time pimp as far as making trades.....all the trades he's made have been savy.

This "list" that Larry gave Isiah hopefully will get these Knicks on the right path to winning again. Whoever is on the list.....Isiah will get them. I think we all have the confidence he can.....that's why Isiah should stay.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
kNYks342
Member: #466
2/9/2006  10:57 PM
Posted by misterearl:

>siah is horrible as GM/Pres.. He should've hired Larry first then remake the roster.. Not the other way around..

Woodman - how was Isiah to steal Larry from Detroit in 2005 when he was under contract?

First off he didnt know he would get larry brown...second off he wanted a different style...young athletic and he accomplished that...if anything blame him for not being on the same page as larry or vice versa...he has brought talent to the team...but not the type larry is comfortable coaching. period
TMS
USA
2/10/2006  9:30 AM
Posted by EnySpree:

Isiah is not a terrible GM....if anything he is the best in the business

Jerome James 5 years $30 million... nuff said.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
TMS
USA
2/10/2006  9:34 AM
Posted by Bippity10:

We don't need stars. We don't need set line-ups for guys not playing hard. WE need an attitude change. We need players that are willing to work hard and give it there all regardless of the circumstances. There are very few of those on this team.

i couldn't agree more... the team we currently have is filled w/gutless, passionless players who would rather quit during a game then step up & compete harder to try & win it... this team needs a complete makeover... we have too many players with this:

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/11/2006  2:11 AM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by EnySpree:

Isiah is not a terrible GM....if anything he is the best in the business

Jerome James 5 years $30 million... nuff said.

As far as this "list" of Larry's.....what better guy for the job than Isiah to get it done? Isiah has proven to move the unmoveable.....Between now and next season the whole roster could be flipped to look the way Larry wants it to. Maybe then I can wear my Knicks stuff in public again

[Edited by - enyspree on 02-11-2006 02:11 AM]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Isiah's giving up control to LB / AD's remarks are very telling

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy