Steve Kerr on Isiah and the Knicks
Author Thread
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
2/8/2006  8:47 PM
What's The Deal Isiah?

The wheels keep spinning for the New York Knicks.

Friday's trade of Antonio Davis to the Toronto Raptors for Jalen Rose is another example of Isiah Thomas using a limitless budget to improve his roster without regard to the balance and chemistry of his team.

Since Thomas took over the Knicks in December of 2003, none of his moves have tied together. There is no plan and no format. The addition of Rose comes seventh months after the deal that brought Quentin Richardson from Phoenix. That followed the deal that brought Jamal Crawford from Chicago.

All told, New York now has three shot-happy swingmen who each command a huge salary. And they play next to two shot-happy point guards – Stephon Marbury and Nate Robinson – who are better served playing the two-guard position.

This philosophy of throwing talent together and hoping it works out is apparent on the entire roster. Why sign Jerome James to a big deal and then trade for Eddy Curry? Why trade for Malik Rose and Maurice Taylor when you already have several undersized power forwards on your team? (James, Malik Rose and Taylor rarely play.) And why bring Qyntel Woods aboard when you're trying to develop David Lee and Trevor Ariza? You can't play three young players at the same position at the same time.

The net result is a talented roster that doesn't fit together. The Knicks have a team full of players who don't really have roles. Larry Brown seems to start a different lineup every night, and he struggles to find a rotation of any sort. New York doesn't defend and turns the ball over – two signs of poor communication and a lack of familiarity with each other.

Thomas has done a great job in the draft over the years, both in Toronto and New York. He has put together some impressive young talent. But the unlimited budget he has almost undermines any sort of plan he could be employing. He adds one big-money guy after another to the roster, and meanwhile, his team doesn't develop.

It reminds me of Bob Whitsitt's strategy with the Portland Trail Blazers several years ago when he used Paul Allen's money to put together the most expensive team in the league. Whitsitt's philosophy was to find the 12 most talented players he could find and then let the coach figure out the rest. As the Blazers found out, that plan didn't work very well.

Ironically, the two best teams in the league – San Antonio and Detroit – operate under budgets that have forced each franchise to make prudent personnel decisions over the years. The result has been a stable environment that encourages team development.

The Spurs and Pistons both have built a squad around several stars, adding talent through the draft or from bargain free-agent signings. The thought of trading for Jalen Rose in midseason never enters the minds of either team because they can't afford it. But in the end, both are better off for it. San Antonio and Detroit maintain consistency and balance to their rosters, and that translates to better communication and chemistry on the floor.

Rose's contract runs another season – at a ridiculous $15 million. Davis' deal expires this summer. That's why Toronto made the deal. In other words, the Knicks take on more salary and throw more talent into the equation.

No budget, no plan.

What's the Deal Isiah?

https:// It's not so hard.
AUTOADVERT
NYKniCksFan87
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #700
2/8/2006  8:51 PM
good article..i supported zeke before...but now i have no idea what he is doing
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
BasketballJones
USA
2/8/2006  9:59 PM
Sad but true.
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

2/8/2006  10:01 PM
Posted by NYKniCksFan87:

good article..i supported zeke before...but now i have no idea what he is doing

Isiah was my idol growing up as a kid. I'm rooting hard for him but he's making it very hard.
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
BasketballJones
USA
2/8/2006  10:03 PM
In a sense the article is more critical of Dolan and his "Open Wallet" approach. The point he's making is that sometimes limits are good things. They force you to do more with less.

Isiah needs to resist the urge to keep dipping into Dolan's wallet to try to solve any problem that comes along. He couldn't get away with that with most other teams.
FireIsiah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1029

2/8/2006  10:16 PM
Isiah has no clue what he is doing!!! Not only is this team a lottery team this year they will be one next year too. The bulls will step to the podium 2 years in a row and we have a project in curry to rely on to make this team good.
I want to leave something that's going to stand for a long timeI want to leave a legacy,I want to leave tradition.I want to leave an imprint,a blueprint in terms of how people play,and how they coach and how they respond when they put on the Knick uni.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
2/8/2006  11:41 PM
We should've rebuilt 5 years ago.....
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

2/9/2006  12:16 AM
Posted by bobs3304:

If he never made "the shot" this would have never happened.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/9/2006  12:19 AM
Posted by EnySpree:
Posted by bobs3304:

If he never made "the shot" this would have never happened.

I can't agree with that sentiment. '99 was so much fun. i had the supreme pleasure of watching the indiana series witih a Pacers fan!!!!
Steve Kerr on Isiah and the Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy