[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

hoopshype rumor mill - is kmart on the way to ny?
Author Thread
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
2/5/2006  12:05 PM
Posted by Marv:

Another input on KMart's health - I don't think I've seen this referenced before: Per my buddy in Denver, KMart had micro-fracture surgery on his knee last summer and it is slow to heel. He said he also seems to get hurt quite easily.

He sounds like a perfect fit for the Knicks. What are they waiting for? Pull the trigger on this deal.

https:// It's not so hard.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
2/5/2006  12:18 PM
Posted by Marv:

Another input on KMart's health - I don't think I've seen this referenced before: Per my buddy in Denver, KMart had micro-fracture surgery on his knee last summer and it is slow to heel. He said he also seems to get hurt quite easily.
You sure he had microfracture? I thought it was just arthroscopic surgery.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nuggestmartin&prov=st&type=lgns
Nuggets F Martin undergoes knee surgery

May 16, 2005
DENVER (Ticker) - Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Monday.

Dr. Steve Traina, the Nuggets' team physician, performed the procedure. Martin is expected to begin rehabilitation in the next two weeks.

In his first season with Denver after being acquired in a sign-and-trade deal with New Jersey, Martin averaged 15.5 points and 7.3 rebounds in 70 games. He averaged 12.4 points and 5.6 rebounds in the first round of the playoffs against San Antonio, a series the Nuggets lost in five games.

The first overall pick in the 2000 draft, Martin has career averages of 15.2 points and 7.5 rebounds in 353 games. He helped the Nets reach the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003.

Also, see

http://www.softcom.net/webnews/wed/cn/Ubkp-martin.RwYk_FyG.html

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02-05-2006 12:19 PM]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
2/5/2006  12:30 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Marv:

You sure he had microfracture? I thought it was just arthroscopic surgery.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=nuggestmartin&prov=st&type=lgns
Nuggets F Martin undergoes knee surgery

May 16, 2005
DENVER (Ticker) - Denver Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left knee Monday.

Dr. Steve Traina, the Nuggets' team physician, performed the procedure. Martin is expected to begin rehabilitation in the next two weeks.

In his first season with Denver after being acquired in a sign-and-trade deal with New Jersey, Martin averaged 15.5 points and 7.3 rebounds in 70 games. He averaged 12.4 points and 5.6 rebounds in the first round of the playoffs against San Antonio, a series the Nuggets lost in five games.

The first overall pick in the 2000 draft, Martin has career averages of 15.2 points and 7.5 rebounds in 353 games. He helped the Nets reach the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003.

Also, see

http://www.softcom.net/webnews/wed/cn/Ubkp-martin.RwYk_FyG.html

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 02-05-2006 12:19 PM]

I'll double check it. If my friend was lying I'm charging him with tampering.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
2/5/2006  2:33 PM
great Kmart on the Knicks. TT on the Nets. WHAT IS GOING ON?!
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
2/5/2006  3:54 PM
here is my take on k-mart. he does fill in needs for a good frontcourt defender/shot blocker and a competitive attitude which is surely lacking in this squad. is k-mart a d@!k? sure he is. but so was starks, oakley and mason. now i am not comparing k-mart with those guys. however he is a driven player who hates to lose and does whatever he can to win. sure he was exposed in denver but it was not because of his knees. if he had arthroscopic surgery and not micro ( which is the type of surgery i had for my knees), he could fully recover and so far he has been playing solid. it is because he is in a conference where he has to play the best 4's in the league who are bigger than him. it is a hard adjustment when in the eastern conference he had to worry about jermaine o'neal. and if he was on our team he would probably be the top 5 pf in the east ( besides o'neal, wallace, howard and bosh). i do not like the contract however. it will be a long term investment but a frontcourt of curry and martin would be imposing. the downside would be the development of frye but i am starting to think of frye as a good compliment player and not an impact player. martin could make an impact in the toughness department alone. he would bring back the ny swagger not to mention that he is a larry brown type of player.
Marv
2/5/2006  3:58 PM
It was microfracture.

http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/fragments/print_article.jsp?article=3434411

nuggets
Back in business
K-Mart shining again after knee surgery
By Adam Thompson
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com
For Kenyon Martin, inspiration comes as easily as a remote click to the nightly highlights from Philadelphia these days. That's where the Nuggets forward can watch the career renaissance of 76ers big man Chris Webber.

Martin and Webber have two things in common. Both underwent microfracture surgery on their left knees, and both heard a chorus of skeptics doubting they would return to previous form.

"People write you off," Martin said. "Everybody has an opinion. People don't know how he felt. I didn't know how he felt until I went through it."

It took Webber two years after his 2003 surgery to return to all- star caliber. Though their injuries are not identical, Martin is showing signs of regaining the swagger in his springy step eight months after his procedure.

"Kenyon's going to be as good or better than he ever was," Nuggets trainer Jim Gillen said. "You need to quit writing that he has a bum knee, bad back. He doesn't have any of those things."

Martin has coped with a sore back, along with a sprained ankle, in recent weeks. But that would have been hard to guess based on the stat sheet, which shows him averaging 15.9 points and 8.8 rebounds in January, not counting a game at Houston when he played only nine minutes. Not too surprisingly, the Nuggets have gone 10-2 this month.

Martin supplements Gillen's point with anecdotal evidence, such as his string of late defensive plays to secure the Nuggets' win in Chicago last week, the soaring follow dunk that iced Denver's upset in San Antonio on Sunday and his coast-to-coast, left-handed layup Monday against Toronto in his team's sixth consecutive win.

"I'm trying not to think too much about it, but it gets me excited sometimes, knowing I can run and jump and get 17 rebounds," said Martin, referring to his board work last week against Cleveland.

With his continued improvement has come trust from coach George Karl, who kept Martin in long enough against the Raptors on Monday to clear 40 minutes for the first time this season.

"He's getting off the ground and going after more rebounds, especially at the offensive end," Karl said. "He was a difficult offensive rebounder always to cover, but he wasn't getting there often (early this season). So his pacing of the game was off at that end of the court. Now I think he's becoming more assertive there."

Martin said he feels close to returning to his all-star form, which he insists Denver fans have not seen since his arrival from the New Jersey Nets in 2004. He has some catching up to do. Season totals of 12.8 points and 6.7 rebounds per game hardly are all- world, let alone all-star.

Still, he is optimistic continued improvement could return him to all-star status by next season.

Of course, more roadblocks always could surface, and with them a return of the boos and the trade rumors that have circulated this season. He said he knows to block them out.

"It's wasted energy, man," he said. "I don't keep that negativity. I'm already hard on myself."

Martin has not talked with Webber about his comeback, though he wishes he would have. It sounds like they have learned the same lessons, based on Webber's recent comments on how to deal with a long-term recovery. The forward, whom the Sacramento Kings traded to the 76ers last spring, preached patience. He said it's better to help the team by sitting out than hurt it with the poor play that comes with a premature return.

As for the doubters, Webber said: "I learned a long time ago, don't listen. The month I got traded I was (Western Conference) player of the month. In one month it turned from that to being terrible. I just didn't listen, I believed in God and kept saying when I get healthy, I'm going to get my chance."

By following a similar path, Martin has developed a third thing in common with Webber - a spot next to him on the nightly highlight reels.

Staff writer Marc J. Spears contributed to this report. Staff writer Adam Thompson can be reached at 303-820-5447 or athompson@denverpost.com.

Bonn1997
USA
2/5/2006  5:05 PM
That's interesting. The articles that came out when he had surgery all just said arthroscopic surgery. It kind of just mentions the surgery in passing in this article. I wonder if it's a mistake or not. If he did have microfracture surgery, that makes me even less optimistic about him. I was thinking that the doctors might try that option and that could help him, but if they already did and he's still having trouble, I don't know what else they can do.
TymeLessKnicks
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1050
Sweden
2/5/2006  5:15 PM
no to martin!!!

no to ratliff!!!
Had enough Melo?
Marv
2/5/2006  5:36 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

That's interesting. The articles that came out when he had surgery all just said arthroscopic surgery. It kind of just mentions the surgery in passing in this article. I wonder if it's a mistake or not. If he did have microfracture surgery, that makes me even less optimistic about him. I was thinking that the doctors might try that option and that could help him, but if they already did and he's still having trouble, I don't know what else they can do.

Bonn, google Kenyon Martin microfracture. There are tons of references to it.
Bonn1997
USA
2/5/2006  7:33 PM
I don't know. Most of that is articles with K-Mart mentioned and then some other player who happened to have microfracture surgery. For example, I get almost twice as many links when I type "Stephon Marbury" and "Microfracture" as I do with K-Mart even though Marbury never had the surgery.
Since I have no life, I decided to contact the author of the article you posted and ask him a bunch of questions about K-Mart.
Marv
2/5/2006  7:37 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I don't know. Most of that is articles with K-Mart mentioned and then some other player who happened to have microfracture surgery. For example, I get almost twice as many links when I type "Stephon Marbury" and "Microfracture" as I do with K-Mart even though Marbury never had the surgery.
Since I have no life, I decided to contact the author of the article you posted and ask him a bunch of questions about K-Mart.

Good man. I think we all qualify as having no lives judging from our activity on this board!
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
2/5/2006  8:14 PM
^^^yeah, pretty much.

this could be interesting though.

for JJ and Q I'd do it. Not for Penny straight up. For penny and remove the protection on the pick I'd do it. he worries me. he plays d but that knee man, we gotta stay away from that.
MsBklynStyle
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1080
USA
2/5/2006  9:12 PM
I don't want no part of K-Mart and his hefty paycheck. Didn't we get enough of players with knee problems and bloated contracts? Enough already Zeke, hit the I'll pass on this trade button.
You Play To Win The Game-Herman Edwards
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
2/5/2006  9:27 PM
Posted by jazz74:

here is my take on k-mart. he does fill in needs for a good frontcourt defender/shot blocker and a competitive attitude which is surely lacking in this squad. is k-mart a d@!k? sure he is. but so was starks, oakley and mason. now i am not comparing k-mart with those guys. however he is a driven player who hates to lose and does whatever he can to win. sure he was exposed in denver but it was not because of his knees. if he had arthroscopic surgery and not micro ( which is the type of surgery i had for my knees), he could fully recover and so far he has been playing solid. it is because he is in a conference where he has to play the best 4's in the league who are bigger than him. it is a hard adjustment when in the eastern conference he had to worry about jermaine o'neal. and if he was on our team he would probably be the top 5 pf in the east ( besides o'neal, wallace, howard and bosh). i do not like the contract however. it will be a long term investment but a frontcourt of curry and martin would be imposing. the downside would be the development of frye but i am starting to think of frye as a good compliment player and not an impact player. martin could make an impact in the toughness department alone. he would bring back the ny swagger not to mention that he is a larry brown type of player.

exactly.

DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
BigC
Member: #829
2/5/2006  10:41 PM
Why can't we ever get a fresh product? Why do we always have to get players when they are losing their game or are injury prone?
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
2/5/2006  10:47 PM
Posted by BigC:

Why can't we ever get a fresh product? Why do we always have to get players when they are losing their game or are injury prone?

Because Jim Dolan sucks
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
2/6/2006  11:20 AM
for KMart, i'd take the risk... he's a player that can actually have an immediate impact on this team.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MattSuspect
Member: #932
2/6/2006  11:31 AM
This trade will not happen for the mere P.R. nightmare that is the Knicks taking back another max contract.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
2/6/2006  11:37 AM
It has nothing to do with PR. Kenyon Martin is a sexy player to have, and is great at first glance. But then you see apparent microfracture knee surgery, him having trouble recovering from it. Does that remind you of someone? It's not worth the risk to give up much for Martin. Maybe he's not shot, but he'd still be a nightmare to deal with, and in NY, he wouldn't recover anymore, b/c as we all know, NY never gives it's players a chance to fully recover from major surgeries. The Knicks aren't being patient with Marbury (He returned too soon), they weren't patient with Allan, and they weren't patient with McDyess, and they certainly weren't patient with Mr. Ewing. It wont be the same with Kenyon. Lets pass on this one.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
2/6/2006  11:42 AM
KMart's a good fit at that price, and was playing well very recently. But even if it wasn't microfracture, the similarity to Allan Houston's injuries are scary. Houston had offseason arthroscopic knee surgery (which some sources say Martin had), which didn't seem to completely heal (similar case with Martin). Then Houston developed a bruised knee (which is what Martin just sat out with) that he never really recovered from.
hoopshype rumor mill - is kmart on the way to ny?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy