[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

martin/ andrew - plz post insider on Knicks
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
7/31/2002  9:37 AM
Spree dump info/ Houston for van Horn swap info.
AUTOADVERT
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
7/31/2002  10:01 AM
It was a pretty good article, quite long too. It had some good Ideas. It talked about these trades:

Spree for Damon Stoudamire

Spree for Penny Hardaway

Houston for Keith VanHorn
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/31/2002  10:23 AM
Can the Knicks dump Spree or Houston?
by Chad Ford

Andre Miller is off the rumor mill. So is Baron Davis. (The Hornets may want to send a thank you card to Cleveland for that one. They would've never given away Davis straight up for Darius Miles.) Vin Baker, who was recently inducted as a permanent member of the rumor mill, is also off the block — at least until the Celtics get over their hangover and realize who they're in bed with.

What do all three players have in common? The Knicks were heavily pursuing Miller, Davis and Baker in a desperate attempt to get the franchise back on track after slipping out of the playoffs last season. Their relentless attempts to trade either Latrell Sprewell or Allan Houston have been well documented. So have their rejections.

In addition to being rebuffed by the Cavs, Hornets and Sonics, the Knicks have talked with the Bucks about Glenn Robinson, the Hawks about Jason Terry, and the T-Wolves about Wally Szczerbiak. All three teams are still laughing.

Why the obsession with trading away one of their two best players? Knicks brass feels like the team needs to move one of its shooting guards and bring in either a bigger, more versatile small forward or a top-flight point guard next season. Spree has been playing out of position for four years in New York and the team feels like it has finally taken its toll. One of the two needs to go, and so far, Spree appears to have the most trade value.

What's the problem? The Knicks are trying to get an All-Star-caliber player back in return. Both players put up career numbers last year. Houston had a career high in scoring (20.2 ppg) and three-pointers made. Spree put up his highest point total (19.4 ppg) since he joined the Knicks. Nevertheless, it's become pretty apparent that there isn't a blockbuster trade out there for Spree or Houston.

Spree's troubled past, his age, 32, and a huge contract that still has three years and $40.5 million remaining are his poison pills. Hawks GM Pete Babcock recently cited character as the primary reason why his team wouldn't trade for Spree. "It's unfair to compare players, but we went against our organizational standards to a degree with J. R. Rider a few years ago. We rolled the dice -- we lost big-time on it. We would have to think very hard about bending again."

Other teams think it's the combination of his age and contract that's the real problem. In an age of luxury-tax woes, most teams can't afford to take on that kind of money. "I thought he really lost a step last year," one team exec told Insider. "He can still put up big games for you, but the intensity was lacking. I thought he was terrible defensively. I know it had a lot to do with the tumultuous situation in New York, but you wonder how much longer he's going to be explosive."

Ironically, the Knicks would prefer to move Houston, whom they signed to an absolutely outrageous deal last summer making him virtually untradeable. His six-year, $100 million contract signed last year will probably be the last of its kind. The Knicks bid against themselves and gave Houston $50 million more than anyone else could.

"Houston is a good player," another team exec said. "But he's way overpaid. The only way the Knicks could move him would be to take a massive salary back in return. Right now, they may be willing to take the gamble."

Are both players truly untradeable? Insider made some phone calls and put together three trade scenarios for the Knicks that could make some sense.

1. Spree or Houston to the Nets for Keith Van Horn

Van Horn was Byron Scott's whipping boy all last season. And, after the Finals, Kenyon Martin took a swipe at Van Horn that won't be forgotten. Van Horn is talented, but it looks like he's worn out his welcome in New Jersey. The Nets have been desperately trying to move Van Horn and find some perimeter shooting in the process. While the Nets would prefer Spree, the Knicks are reluctant to let him play in their backyard. The last thing Scott Layden wants to do is trade a fan favorite to the Nets and then watch him become the last piece of the puzzle in the Nets' quest for a championship.

That leaves Houston, who may be a better fit in New Jersey anyway. Spree's game is based on handling the ball and improvisation. That wouldn't really be possible with Jason Kidd controlling things. Houston is more one dimensional, but he'd be the best shooter on the team. Outside shooting was the Nets' Achilles heel last season and Houston may be the best (and most expensive) solution available. The move would afford Richard Jefferson a chance to start at the three, where he excelled in Boston at the summer league.

While Van Horn isn't the answer to all the Knicks' problems, he's young, has size, is a good perimeter shooter and has a tie to Utah (a must for Layden). The trade would also allow Spree to move back to his natural shooting guard position, and give the Knicks a lot of flexibility on what sets they run. If the Knicks can figure out a way to land a point guard, the N.Y. Daily News is reporting that the Knicks are after Nick Van Exel again, and then a big man like Keon Clark or Wang Zhi Zhi via free agency, they'd have a contender.

The deal, financially, wouldn't be as egregious as you think for the Nets. Houston's contract is only one year longer than Van Horn's. If the Knicks were to assume Jamie Feick's terrible contract as part of the trade, the numbers basically add up for the next four seasons.

2. Spree or Houston to the Blazers for Damon Stoudamire

The Knicks have flirted with Stoudamire for some time. He isn't the answer to all of their problems at point guard, but he's the sort of high-energy player Don Chaney is looking for to push the Knicks into a more up-tempo style. Stoudemire's lack of size will be a problem, but the Knicks will still have rookie Frank Williams, who has the size and defensive tenacity to spell Stoudamire when the match-ups aren't going the Knicks way. Of course, the move would push Shandon Anderson into the starting lineup, but with Stoudamire, McDyess and either Spree of Houston on the floor, they'd have plenty of offense.

The deal makes sense for the Blazers only because they are desperately trying to dump Stoudamire. The Blazers think his size and scorer's mentality are crippling the team. With so much offensive fire power, they need a bigger playmaker. They're already on the verge of signing free agent Jeff McInnis (see below), meaning Stoudamire is expendable. If the team adds Spree or Houston, it also has the flexibility of letting Bonzi Wells go. Right now, the Blazers have been stalling on Wells. The team is balking on his contract demands (he's looking for around 6 years, $40 million).

The big question is, who is a better fit for the Blazers? Like the Nets, the Blazers are still desperate for shooting, giving the edge to Houston. Money won't really be a factor. Houston makes a little more than Stoudamire, and has two more years left on his contract, but since when did that ever stop the Blazers?

3. Spree to the Suns for Penny Hardaway

This would be the biggest gamble for the Knicks, but it does make some sense. Hardaway came into the league playing point guard and would be a nice answer to the Knicks' woes at the point if he was willing to make the switch and if the Knicks determined he was healthy.

The Suns are pulling out all the stops to move Hardaway after he bumped heads all season with point guard Stephon Marbury. The Suns would have a logjam at the two, with Joe Johnson and Casey Jacobsen waiting in the wings, but the addition of Spree, along with Marbury and Shawn Marion, would put this team back in the playoff hunt out West.

As far as money goes, the two contracts are almost identical, but the Suns would actually get a little cap relief. Spree's contract is up in the summer of 2005. Hardaway's nightmare isn't over until the summer of 2006.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
7/31/2002  10:39 AM
Posted by falcindor:

It was a pretty good article, quite long too. It had some good Ideas. It talked about these trades:

Spree for Damon Stoudamire

Spree for Penny Hardaway

Houston for Keith VanHorn

why trade spree for a broken Penny?! (whose contract runs longer)
why trade spree for a busted PG like Stoudy, who is a 5'10" SG - who can't win in Portland with much more talent than on the knicks - plus - he's in trouble (felony) for drugs?!

Houston for Keith VanHorn - decent, pretty even swap. The knicks give up a better player, but KVH can play the 3, letting spree slide to the 2.
dmeesq
Member: #124
7/31/2002  10:58 AM
The Houston for Van Horn trade is similar to one I posted last month, except that my deal would also throw in Kerry Kittles, not Jamie Feick.

The best trades are ones where both teams improve.

It is clear that Van Horn is an Allen Houston type streak shooter, a little soft, who is only one of many options in the Nets Kidd led offense. Van Horn needs to be a more visible part of a team for his confidence level and game to be restored. AS a 6'10" smanll forward on the Knicks, I have no doubt that he could put 17-18 points per game and do a decent rebounding job for the Knicks, who clearly could use any help on the boars that they can get.

Kerry Kittles, who is inconsistent, but fast on the wings, is a very good back-up for Spree at the SG spot.

Houston would be the missing link for the Nets to improve. His confidence level and ability to make big shots, is high and he won't melt like Van Horn did in crucial times. As Kidd's partner, he should get many kick-out passes off of Kidd drives and should be able to score 22-23 per game.

I think think is a great trade for both teams, although no doubt there will be many NY fans who will lament acquiring Van Horn.
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
7/31/2002  11:08 AM
I like Van Horn but I think he can be had for alot less. He game is nice if he got his minutes and touches. Him and Dyess would kill the boards plus hes so versitile. I think id do it if they threw in a 1st round pick. I think on NJ Houston can average 25 points a game easy.

Allan Houston + Othella Harrington
for
Keith VanHorn + Aaron Williams + 2003 1st round pick
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/31/2002  11:53 AM
Posted by falcindor:

I like Van Horn but I think he can be had for alot less. He game is nice if he got his minutes and touches. Him and Dyess would kill the boards plus hes so versitile. I think id do it if they threw in a 1st round pick. I think on NJ Houston can average 25 points a game easy.

Allan Houston + Othella Harrington
for
Keith VanHorn + Aaron Williams + 2003 1st round pick
Van Horn averaged 15 points and 7.5 boards...I'm undecided on this trade, because even though Van Horn was a solid scorer and got rebounds, we have to remember he was on a team wtih Jason Kidd, so on the Knicks I would expect him to only score 12 points...he is big, but I think Houston is the better player and will benefit the most from McDyess being here. I only want to trade Houston or Spree for a top-flight pg, (even though they are pretty much all off the market), or a very good pg and a decent center...or if there is some sort of deal that yields us a superstar (unlikely)... maybe spree for odom i would do...the reason im hesitant to deal spree and houston is because their trade value has gone down recently (due to this season), and next year even though they are a year older their value goes up because they will be better with a low-post presence...assists go up, shot % goes up, points go up.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
nyvector16
Member: #130
USA
7/31/2002  12:06 PM
That's a very good point NYBaller! Right now everyone is talking about Spree, Houston, and McDyess as THE BIG THREE...
If we traded either Houston or Spree for someone other than a star... We would no longer have a "Big Three"!!! The fact that you have 3 people in one rotation who could break out and have a spectacular season really makes our team have the possobility of an amazing season. We should stick it out with this nucleus in tact.... forget trading any of these players... and if wirst comes to worst... We can tradae next summer when their values are where they are suppose to be in accordance with the talent. If nothing else... let these three guys mesh and acquire a point and a center in next year's free agency or draft. We need to look at the big picture here. I could see us in the finals two seasons from now.
But we mus'nt just trade away our talent for the sake of shaking things up... McDyess is shakeup enough to get our two perimeter "star" to shine again...
necrom33
Member: #234
USA
7/31/2002  12:12 PM
I would love to trade Housless for anybody. This trade (KVH for Hou) makes sense for everybody. NY gets size and a SF, plus sides Spree to the 2 where he can be more effective than Hou.
NJ gets Housless, where he can increase his PPGs by 2 to 3 points by playing with Kidd. NJ's outside shooting was spotty all year and this is where Hou excels.
LET'S DO THIS!!
dmeesq
Member: #124
7/31/2002  12:45 PM
NYvector, I think you're wrong. Houston's points will absolutely be replaced, point by point, with Van Horn and Kittles. As the third option, Van Horn will get plenty of touches and as the best long-ball shooter on the new Knicks, he will be the 1st option in many half-court settings. The new Knicks will have a lot more balance, whre teams won't gang up on Houston and Spree as they did this past season.

Like I said before, this is a realistic trade since both teams better themselves, although I concede that NY's risk is greater because of Van Horn's sometimes fragile psyche.

I also believe that if NY got bigger with this trade, you would absolutely see Layden pull the trigger on one other trade, one being Thomas and Ward for Van Exel or Spoon and Ward for Fortson and Foyle. Either of these trades work on the salary swap side.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
7/31/2002  1:39 PM
The only trade i like out of those is for Van Horn. If teams don't think Spree is worth trading another borderline all-star for than the Knicks will just have to prove them wrong. My bet is McDyess and Sprewell are all-stars this year if Spree is still with New York.
lrluis
Member: #306
8/1/2002  9:09 AM
I just registered today. And I thought I had no forum to voice this trade: Houston for Van Horn. I wished it two summers ago!

It made sense for both teams then; it makes more sense now. No need for particulars---you guys understand.

Dan1078
Member: #283
8/1/2002  9:41 AM
Houston is worth way more than Keith Van Horn. Houston is a far more
prolific scorer.

Houston may be slightly passive sometimes, but Van Horn is Mr Softee.
Caseloads
8/1/2002  11:26 AM
Posted by Dan1078:

Houston is worth way more than Keith Van Horn. Houston is a far more
prolific scorer.

Houston may be slightly passive sometimes, but Van Horn is Mr Softee.
true...

but getting van horn lets us slide spree to the 2, and we'd hopefully get van horn, aaron williams and maybe a 1st rounder.
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
8/1/2002  5:11 PM
I just heard that the Nets are gonna get Kg for martin van horn and kittles...thats crazy
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
Caseloads
8/1/2002  5:34 PM
Posted by nyballer:

I just heard that the Nets are gonna get Kg for martin van horn and kittles...thats crazy
no way does that happen. if t-wolves wont trade wally or rasho, you think they want soft van horn, kerry kittles (just an ok sg) and martin, a good pf in the east, but one of the worst in the west? no way does this happen. how is this going to get the wolves into the second round in the west?

maybe if the wolves got RJ, Martin, Kittles, Aaron Williams, and 3 1st rounders they'd do the trade...

only the bulls, clippers and the pacers, maybe even GS have the players needed to pull off a trade for KG.

i could see the pacers doing it - giving up jonathan bender, jermaine o'neal, ron artest and tinsley for KG. that'd work

GS - doesn't really have enough

chi town (chad ford mentioned this one) - jalen rose, fizer, e-rob, jamal (PG) {not as good as the pacer offer}

clippers - keyon dooling, lamar odom, quentin richardson, wilcox, ely for kg and anthony peeler.
Caseloads
8/1/2002  5:53 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by nyballer:

no way does that happen. if t-wolves wont trade wally or rasho, you think they want soft van horn, kerry kittles (just an ok sg) and martin, a good pf in the east, but one of the worst in the west? no way does this happen. how is this going to get the wolves into the second round in the west?

maybe if the wolves got RJ, Martin, Kittles, Aaron Williams, and 3 1st rounders they'd do the trade...

only the bulls, clippers and the pacers, maybe even GS have the players needed to pull off a trade for KG.

i could see the pacers doing it - giving up jonathan bender, jermaine o'neal, ron artest and tinsley for KG. that'd work

GS - doesn't really have enough

chi town (chad ford mentioned this one) - jalen rose, fizer, e-rob, jamal (PG) {not as good as the pacer offer}

clippers - keyon dooling, lamar odom, quentin richardson, wilcox, ely for kg and anthony peeler.
imagine the starting lineups that these teams would have after these trades:

pacers:

PG: kevin ollie
SG: miller/mercer/fred jones
SF: al harrington
PF: KG
C: Brad Miller

bulls:

PG: jay williams
SG: Trenton Hassell
SF: KG
PF: Chandler
C: Curry

clippers:

PG: Miller
SG: Maggette
SF: KG
PF: Brand
C: Kandi
martin/ andrew - plz post insider on Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy