[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Butler to D-League?
Author Thread
OAK
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #957
Japan
1/26/2006  8:51 AM
The Post has learned Knicks brass is discussing sending center Jackie Butler, 20, to their Fayetteville, N.C., Developmental League affiliate. The new collective bargaining agreement allows teams to send first- or second-year players to the new minor league. Butler has been inactive 10 straight games and 14 of 16.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/62307.htm
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/26/2006  9:02 AM
might as well... unless you want to factor all he's learning from practicing against big game james
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/26/2006  9:35 AM
Do it.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/26/2006  9:38 AM
this move I don't get. I didn't think the D league was for player who have already proved their worth.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/26/2006  9:59 AM
Posted by martin:

this move I don't get. I didn't think the D league was for player who have already proved their worth.

its also for young players that a team feels has worth, but isn't getting playing time and as such, their development is being hurt.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/26/2006  10:07 AM
Posted by franco12:
Posted by martin:

its also for young players that a team feels has worth, but isn't getting playing time and as such, their development is being hurt.

maybe Brown/Aguire have their hands too full with James/Curry/Frye/Lee.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
CrashDMB237
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #759
1/26/2006  10:26 AM
I'm sure people know my stance on Trashie Butler here so I won't go through it again. I'm not gonna bash the guy, but I think this is a good move. He simply can't get time here in NY right now. He's got SOME skill and promise and it would be a shame to let it go to waste. Moving him to Fayetteville is probably HIS best option as well. He has no contract after this year. I highly doubt the Knicks would re-sign him (one would think). How is he going to earn a decent contract if no one ever sees him on the floor? He can shine in the NBDL, he's already done it in the CBA. He'll get tons of playing time, tons of experience and more direct coaching. So while he may be a little bummed (who wouldn't be?) about the whole situation, its in his best interest to be doing this.
http://homeoftheknicks.com
franco12
USA
1/26/2006  10:27 AM
no I think Brown might be out of excuses for why he's not playing young guys like Butler that he had previously praised & who have shown flashes in games of being able to contribute.

I think there is only so much development that can happen in practice and that young players need playing time to develop- that's why its upsetting to some to see Brown not playing Frye or Lee for as many minutes as we'd like to see.
OAK
Japan
1/26/2006  10:30 AM
Posted by franco12:

no I think Brown might be out of excuses for why he's not playing young guys like Butler that he had previously praised & who have shown flashes in games of being able to contribute.

I think there is only so much development that can happen in practice and that young players need playing time to develop- that's why its upsetting to some to see Brown not playing Frye or Lee for as many minutes as we'd like to see.

Agree. That's why it doesn't make sense when Isiah says we are rebuilding. If we were, we'd be playing the youth more - Frye, Lee, Nate, QDog, Butler, Ariza. We're playing too much of AD, Rose, MoT, Q and we're still LOSING looking like a bad college team!
franco12
USA
1/26/2006  10:36 AM
I forgot when it was last night, but after a time out, Malik came in the game late for either curry or frye and we ran a set play for him- result was either a badly missed shot or turnover.

why play malik? we'll be lucky to be a 28 win team this year- you might as well let frye, lee & the rest make mistakes- to at least learn from them.

when malik turns it over or does something stupid, hey, he's been in the league, its a skills/abilities issue with him. Frye & lee and the rest aren't at that point so they might learn.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/26/2006  10:37 AM
He already DOMINATED the CBA. What good is sending him to the NBDL gonna do?
OAK
Japan
1/26/2006  10:42 AM
Could a college All-Star team of Rondo/Carney/Morrison/Shelden Williams/Aldridge plus Redick, Foyle, Tyrus, Armstrong, Fazekas, etc beat the knicks? Hmmm... maybe not.

How about the All-Rookie team? Paul/McCants/Granger/Villanueva/Bogut plus Salim, Deron, Garcia, Head, May, Diogu, etc?

We're a bad team either way. Why not play the kids???

[Edited by - OAK on 01-27-2006 01:44 AM]
TymeLessKnicks
Member: #1050
Sweden
1/26/2006  12:52 PM
Posted by franco12:

if u believe that players can improve alot from practice...y should we send butler to be coached by no name nbdl coaches when he could have our hall of fame staff? makes no sense

practice practice practice...playing time is over rated!!!!!
Had enough Melo?
Bippity10
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #574
1/26/2006  1:06 PM
Every coach knows that everything starts in practice!!!! Everything in life starts in practice. Confidence is built in practice. Everything comes from practice.

That being said I don't think it would be a bad thing to have this guy play in the D-League. I'm sure they would design plays based on what we want him to do at this level. He would not be playing just to get minutes. They would probably be working on specific things on the floor. For example if they sent David Lee down they would probably have him handle the ball more and guard quicker players to get that experience. Depending on what they want Butler to learn they will coach him similar in the NBDL. This way he's learning in an environment where he can understand and succeed with the message of our coaching staff and also getting time. Either way if he did get sent down, I'm sure he would be up as he built up his skills pretty quickly.

In summary: By sending him down it would be an extended practice where he can learn to do things on the floor instead of learning these things agains KG and Shaq he can learn against lesser players.

[Edited by - bippity10 on 01-26-2006 1:08 PM]
I just hope that people will like me
Butler to D-League?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy