The People vs. Antonio Davis: You Be the Judge
Author Thread
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
1/20/2006  6:28 PM

The Case of Antonio Davis

Knicks forward Antonio Davis ran into the stands during Wednesday's game in Chicago after saying he saw his wife involved in an altercation with a fan. That fan says he won't sue Davis if he apologies. The NBA suspended Davis five games. Was it just? Read the arguments and lay down your own verdict.

His Plea: Innocent

"I witnessed my wife being threatened by a man that I learned later to be intoxicated. I saw him touch her, and I know I should not have acted the way I did, but I would have felt terrible if I didn't react. There was no time to call security. It happened too quickly." - Antonio Davis

The Defense

I keep coming back to the same thing: Intent.

As in Davis' intent when he took to the stands.

This wasn't a man possessed by rage, looking to attack a specific fan for an attack real or imagined. This wasn't a man taking advantage of a chaotic situation, looking for random fans to sucker punch.

This was the president of the NBA Players Union, walking slowly and steadily to where his wife was involved in what he perceived as a threatening situation. A man in his position knows he's not 'supposed' to go in the stands per NBA rules, but the rules for a husband are different.

The Prosecution

Forget the "you'd do it, too" claims offered in Davis' defense. That macho reaction was used after Artest bounded off the scorer's table, as if there was only one way to handle a cup of ice or beer or soda hitting you from several rows away.

Wrong. There were, and always are, several ways to react, with the preferred option being to alert security, point out the chief offender and watch carefully while those hired to handle crowd control earn their pay.

Naive? Maybe. Too slow? Hard to know. But wrapping yourself in a cloak of "I was protecting my family" is cowardly, too, a law-into-your-own-hands move that isn't condoned elsewhere in society. -- Steve Aschburner

YOU BE THE JUDGE!
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
AUTOADVERT
bigpimpin
USA
1/20/2006  6:31 PM
Well, I would have to find Antonio Davis guilty due to the simple fact that rules have been laid down. And no where in those rules does it state that "a marriage ... blah blah blah"

If someone had a gun in his wife mouth, I wonder what he would have did.

Seeeeccccurrrritttty....
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
attaboy2005
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #992

1/20/2006  8:18 PM
Well, this isn't the first time his wife as gotten into a confrontation in the stands, she seems to be the kind that thinks the world evolves around her and everyone must focus on doing what she wants them to do for her.
AD is just caught in the middle of it, and be the good husband for his wife, this happens when you get married the women rule the world and we just go "Yes Dear".
MaulingandAppalling
Member: #884
1/20/2006  10:03 PM
Rules have been established, yes, but what specifically are the gradations of the punishments for going into the stands? Obviously they have different terms of suspensions for this, just like they have different degrees of penalties for guys who throw hands. Whatever the minimum penalty for going into the stands is, that's what Tony should have received, no more.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/20/2006  10:37 PM
This is a stupid thread.

I go by common sense. Number one: artest is a pu ssy. Ben Wallace took his head off and he walked away cuz Ben would have beat him silly. Buff said about that whole thing.

The NBA and the union should get together and make an effort to protect the players families. The players should put in a request ahead of time and the arena security should make a convious effort to protect them from heckers. Period.

Should Davis be suspended? Yes. Still any man would and should do that no matter if you know your wife is a bitch,lol. anyone man or woman that don't agree with that us not human.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
nykshaknbake
Member: #492
1/21/2006  12:39 AM
AD should be suspended, but I support what he did. It's just the price that has to be paid for breaking the rules and putting himself in a situation that could have escalted into something ugly. But totally behind him on this. I mean Lupica was saying he should have called security, but security is a joke. This is proven by the fact that he was allowed to walk slowly to the fan w/o security impeding him at all. Would you trust that kind of security to protect your wife if you thought she was in danger?
bigpimpin
USA
1/21/2006  3:36 AM
Enyspree, have you EVER seen me call any of your stupid threads a stupid thread. No matter how stupid your stupid threads are.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/21/2006  9:19 AM
Posted by bigpimpin:

Enyspree, have you EVER seen me call any of your stupid threads a stupid thread. No matter how stupid your stupid threads are.

Ok your topic is stupid.

There is nothing to debate. Davis was wrong......Brown says 5 games was too much.....I think 5 games is fair.

Anybody would have done what Davis did. If I was playing in the park and someone was messing with my family the same thing would happen. Would I get fined for stopping the game? Should I jump on my cell phone and call the cops instead of coming to the aide of my fam? To me it's the same ****.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Ira
Member: #91
1/21/2006  10:55 AM
The question in my mind is what happened between Davis's wife and the fan. There are two different stories and I don't see how, at this point, we can determine who was telling the truth.
FrenchKnicks
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #147
France
1/21/2006  11:35 AM
I think they're all stupid in that story, that Axelrod guy for screaming profanities, Kandra for getting into the argument instead of calling a usher, and AD for showing that athletes can go in the stands.

Now you choose, dumb or dumber? Enough with that story already
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/21/2006  11:53 AM
Axelrod does deserve an apolgoy. The culprit was the fat dude behind her, not him. He was trying to get her away from him and motioned for security.

She was like "oh no you di-ent?" and went off. Knick security was with Taylor after being ejected. I think if Davis just stood there and yelled, "hey, hey!, get off my wife the whole place would have just chilled until security got there.

I don't blame what he did, but she got history and an attitude and he gotta pay the consequences. Rule is 10 games, he got 5. I don't like it, but I think its fair. Davis was cool about the whole thing. He understood and did not go off.
bigpimpin
USA
1/22/2006  3:26 AM
Posted by Ira:

The question in my mind is what happened between Davis's wife and the fan. There are two different stories and I don't see how, at this point, we can determine who was telling the truth.

THANK YOU!
The People vs. Antonio Davis: You Be the Judge

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy