[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

'99 knicks season - great or the cause of the demise?
Author Thread
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/18/2006  4:45 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by Nalod:

Even if allans contract was 30 mil less, we still way over the cap unless we let Ewing walk.

Allans contract is overrated to our demise.

Ewing trade for Rice and beans was our downfall.

Hell, we gave Shandon 20 million to walk. Thats phuched up!

allan would have been tradable if he wasnt maxed out, thats all i was saying.

The biggest offer on the table was $50mm from Chicago. All the Knicks had to do was give him $60 but they gave him $100. Houston loves NY he wouldn't leave to go to play on the TerriBULLS which at the time they were

i thought the pistons(the team that drafted him) offered him a $60-sumthing mil contract.

As far as I know, the rumor was that some teams, maybe Detroit, Chicago and the Clippers were set to offer around 6yrs at $72 million. 6yrs $80 million would have been fair on both sides.

Isles, how can you blame Isiah for putting every nail in the coffin when Layden traded away the Nene pick and Camby for damaged goods, signed Clarence Weatherspoon to a MLE and gave Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley two of the most ridiculous contract extensions of all time? Not to mention his poor handling of the Sprewell situation, which, granted was not handled well by Sprewell or Dolan but good have been defused by a better GM. How can you kill Isiah for everyone pick he traded away when Layden traded away three first rounders in three years from 2000 to 2002?

I'm not saying Isiah gets a pass because Layden was so awful, but at least Isiah has brought in a Hall of Fame, high profile coach, drafted well, traded picks for actual young talent like Marbury, Curry, and he essentially got Crawford for free. He handled Houston's and JYD's retirements well so that both players are still with the organization and saved the team the maximum ammount of money possible on those two retirements. He handled the Herb Williams thing well, which could have been very ugly. Isiah has done a good job. Obviously, the results have yet to show up on the court, but I think it's ridiculous to say that adding two quality young big men in Frye and Curry and a slew of complimentary players is adding hammering the nails in our coffin. It's called giving this franchise a future. You can argue with his methods, and with the gift of hindsight pick a path that looks better now, but I think he has done a good job winning the fans back and building a young, talented team with one of the best coaches in the game leading them. In two years. Layden's first two years were spent turning Patrick Ewing into Shandon Anderson and Howard Eisley, destroying our cap for the foreseeable future and trading away every pick we ever got.

Isiah bought in TWO hall of fame coaches!

AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/18/2006  4:47 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Isiah bought in TWO hall of fame coaches!

haha. touche. I actually thought Lenny did a hell of a job. For all the talk of selfish Marbury, Lenny's first game here Marbury had 7pts and 18assists and it was a blow out win. He wasn't a good defensive coach and the team imploded in January 05 when the injuries hit, but he did a good job.
¿ △ ?
NumberTwoPencil
Member: #481
USA
1/18/2006  5:15 PM
>van gundy refuses to play camby as a protest to ernie

Sure, Van Gundy was pissed about losing Oakley but ya know, Camby arrived with a bad rep. and bad habits. I remember watching him play shortly after he arrived and thinking, "Oh, no, that guy is Charles Smith II." VG made it clear to Camby--you have to earn your minutes. No D? No playing time? He deserved a couple of DNPs when he first got here. Camby became a much better player during his VG time. (And, I think, in the end, he gave a lot of credit to VG for making him a better player.)

Once Camby came around, learned the system, and played a bit of D, VG started using him as a sixth man. Remember the Atlanta playoff games where Camby came off the bench and destroyed Atlanta? I think VG was getting the most out of Camby, even if it was off the bench. He played about 20 minutes a game in 99, 26 minutes a game in 2000, and 33-34 minutes in 01 and 02. His stats in Toronto, just before he came to NY, were so-so. For 30 minutes a game, he averaged about 12 pts and 7 rebounds. Under VG, his turnovers went down, his percentages went up, his rebounding went up, and he generally became the player that Toronto hoped he was when they drafted him.

I'm not saying there was no tension between VG and Checkets/Grunfeld. I'm not saying that Camby wasn't in VG's dog house for most of a season. I'm just saying that Camby arrived as mediocre goods and deserved some of his bench time. I also think VG deserves a bit of credit for molding Camby into a better player.
tomverve
Member: #878
1/18/2006  5:28 PM
crzymdups still has the crzymdskills.

In a nutshell, the 99 season did set us up for a fall, primarily because we lost Ernie (very solid GM) and replaced him with Layden (one of the worst of all time, if not THE worst of all time, in his tenure with NY). Isiah's moves here have mostly come with caveats, but he was operating from a position of extreme weakness. I think many people tend to exaggerate the bad and downplay (or in some more subtle cases, ignore/forget) the good Isiah has done for the Knicks. Overall, he has us on the right track. Bottom line, we're set to have one of the NBA's premier starting C/PF combos for a very long time in Curry and Frye, and that's no small feat.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
'99 knicks season - great or the cause of the demise?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy