Member: #261
USA
1/16/2006  11:33 AM
Posted on Mon, Jan. 16, 2006

HEAT NOTEBOOK
Payton, Odom set for Round 2

BY ISRAEL GUTIERREZ
igutierrez@MiamiHerald.com

It was the type of interaction fans wanted to see from Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal.

Instead, they had to settle for heated exchanges between Gary Payton and Lamar Odom.

The two were in each other's faces regularly during the Heat-Lakers game on Christmas Day, escalating to the point where they had to be separated after the final buzzer sounded.

In the locker room after the game, Odom said Payton's words were harsh enough to potentially lead to an off-court confrontation.

''It's dudes like that, that's why things happen off the court between players and their friends and things like that,'' Odom said. ``He needs to watch how he talks to other men.''

Was that a threat? Probably not. But Payton is ready just in case.

''If he wants to do that, then he can bring his boys into the fight, because I got a lot of them,'' Payton said. ``I don't care about that.''

Actually, to Payton, the incident ended once the two players left the AmericanAirlines Arena floor.

''I might have said something that might have gotten into his skin,'' said Payton, who wouldn't repeat what he told Odom. ``That's fine. I'm not going to take it to another level. But if you want to take it to another level, I'm not going to back down.

``I don't need to take it to the streets. Taking it to the streets for what? Because we played some basketball and said something about somebody? That's childish to me.''

Odom said Sunday that the quiet approach might be the way to go in tonight's rematch.

''I'm not going to answer him,'' Odom said. ``The last time I got into it with him, he kicked our butts.''

And just like the Kobe-Shaq relationship, Odom doesn't expect any kind words from Payton, either.

'He doesn't have to say `I'm sorry,' '' he said. ``For what, competing on the basketball court?

``Everything is cool. Hunky-dory.''

Payton is close to 40 taling about hes got alot of boys. No actually you have some 40+ guys with you (I have hung out with him before).
Gary Payton, you are not a rapper, cut it out.
AUTOADVERT
BigC
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #829
1/16/2006  12:11 PM
Some guys like Payton are stuck in a timezone. Some people are the same person they were when they were 17. Their personality do not progress. They stay stagnant while everyone else keeps on evolving.
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
1/16/2006  12:16 PM
Posted by BigC:

Some guys like Payton are stuck in a timezone. Some people are the same person they were when they were 17. Their personality do not progress. They stay stagnant while everyone else keeps on evolving.

Millions of dollars, a posse, people being a yes-man and when you've been coddled by coaches since 17 will do it.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
BigC
1/16/2006  12:21 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by BigC:

Millions of dollars, a posse, people being a yes-man and when you've been coddled by coaches since 17 will do it.

Agreed!
You have to hear AI's posse. They walk around saying ,"Your the Man," almost every time he says, "Who da Man?" Atleast his old crew did when he first got into the league.

BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
1/16/2006  12:27 PM
Posted by BigC:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by BigC:

Agreed!
You have to hear AI's posse. They walk around saying ,"Your the Man," almost every time he says, "Who da Man?" Atleast his old crew did when he first got into the league.

Good god. I guess he must treat them pretty well for people to demean themselves like that.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
BigC
1/16/2006  12:31 PM
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by BigC:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by BigC:

Agreed!

Good god. I guess he must treat them pretty well for people to demean themselves like that.
AI's Crew and mother are known to max out his credit cards. You can only imagine his credit limit.

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/16/2006  12:37 PM
I'd actually LOVE it if every Knick had Gary Payton's toughness
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/16/2006  3:41 PM
Posted by BigC:

Thank you.....I believe that. Especially with atheletes....they are just stuck in Highschool mode....they don't get out of it till after they retire......it's a shame.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
bigpimpin
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #801
USA
1/17/2006  11:15 AM
i want just one of you to produce a transcript of the actual conversation that took place between Odom and Payton.

Odom has a history of smoking weed -- so he may not remember anything Payton said. always take that into account.
"Anyone who sits around waiting to hit the lottery, whether basketball or real life, in order to better their position is a loser."
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/18/2006  2:05 PM
Posted by BigC:
Posted by nyk4ever:
Posted by BigC:

Agreed!

My son, daughter, and wife (aka: my posse) does the same thing for me.

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
5/4/2006  10:03 PM
how ironic is this as I just recently started a post about GP needing to close his trap.
OT- Payton needs togrow up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy