[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

"If there's a do-over on the NBA draft, is there any doubt that Channing Frye is the first pick?"
Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/17/2006  2:25 PM
Posted by attaboy2005:

Recent NBA.com Rookie Report on Frye:

2. CHANNING FRYE, C, NEW YORK

MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%
26.1 14.5 6.1 0.9 0.46 0.86 .516 .333 .844
Last week: 2
Even though the Knicks lost to the Wolves on Monday, we loved how Channing Frye played defense down the stretch. Just watch that play where Troy Hudson hit the dagger three. Frye was guarding Kevin Garnett and did a great job of jumping out on the screen to prevent Hudson from making a move toward the basket and then getting back to his man before KG could get open.
Ahead of Bogut? Can't say I disagree. The author is right; Frye still makes some rookie mistakes but he had a # of plays where his defense was great on KG. Frye moved his feet very well.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 01-17-2006 2:25 PM]
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/17/2006  2:30 PM
If you understand what your watching you can tell the difference between playing hard on defense and playing good defense. Frye plays VERY hard on D, and I have no doubt he will become a good defender. He's got the heart, the physical attributes and he's not afraid. While he may have had some good defensive moments he is still a bad defender and a poor position rebounder.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
USA
1/17/2006  2:47 PM
I've seen some improvement, which I'm excited about but there's no doubt that he's still a well below average defender. I don't see the terrible rebounding you're talking about, though. He looks more like an average rebounder who has the body to be a better rebounder than he currently is.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 01-17-2006 2:48 PM]
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/17/2006  2:57 PM
his mistimes his jumps, boxes out poorly and gets a lot of rebounds taken away from him because of poor positioning. Look no further than at several of those offensive rebounds the Wolves got in crunch time.
He will be fine, but he's waaaay behind Bogut in that category. Look at Camby. It took him 3-4 years in the league before he really learned how.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/17/2006  3:14 PM
the worst part of Frye's game is his rebounding. He has terrible timing, bad positioning and he does not box out well. Other than that, his defense has improved by leaps and bounds. Did y'all catch when KG wanted to take Frye off the dribble in the 4th yesterday? KG sized him up for a good 6 seconds before deciding to take a contested jumper that clanged off the rim. And he is getting better at pick and roll defense, but Nate is pretty awful at it (unless he draws a moving pick call on the big man which is really a bail out from the ref in most cases and won't happen in an end game situation like yesterday).

But Frye on defense has been great, I've been impressed most by how he and Curry play together in the post. Curry guarding Zydrunas with Frye coming over to help really shut down Z in Cleveland and was just as big a reason why they won as Q's D on Bron.

His rebounding unquestionably needs work and hopefully it will improve. Despite us being second in the league in rebounding, it would be nice to have a beast who can rope in 12 boards a game every night. I think Curry is closer to being that guy though, he seems to be learning the box out and has good natural timing.
¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/17/2006  3:17 PM
KG dropped 24pts on 7-13 and pulled down 16rebs. Frye played him well at times but KG took him to school for the majority of the game
Ira
Member: #91
1/17/2006  3:44 PM
I don't think he'll ever be a good defender, but it seems like he's on his way to becoming a not-so-bad defender, which considering his offense is sufficient. I think his rebounding will improve too. Aguirre and Williams are good teachers and Frye's intelligent and a hard worker.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/17/2006  3:46 PM
KG is like all world. Nobody can stop him!

Wally is close to all star offensive player.

Seems by their stats that very few in the NBA have been able to stop these guys.

Frye plays defense like a rookie! Plays hard, and will learn. An learn well he will.
crzymdups
USA
1/17/2006  3:53 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

KG dropped 24pts on 7-13 and pulled down 16rebs. Frye played him well at times but KG took him to school for the majority of the game

Frye was barely in the game and barely guarded KG. The only time Frye was on him for an extended stretch was the fourth. KG did most of his damage against AD.
¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/17/2006  4:00 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by gunsnewing:

Frye was barely in the game and barely guarded KG. The only time Frye was on him for an extended stretch was the fourth. KG did most of his damage against AD.

fair enough..I was just assuming since I missed the first 3 quarters. Next game I'd like to see this starting lineup:
C-Curry
PF-Frye
SF-Lee
SG-Q
PG-Marbury
crzymdups
USA
1/17/2006  4:04 PM
I like Nate starting. Against Chicago, Nate is perfect to start since Chicago has a bunch of small guards like us.

I agree that it is high time for Frye to start, but I basically understand Larry wanting to keep Frye out of foul trouble and let AD set a defensive tone to start the 1st quarter. I wish Frye or Mo T could start every third quarter though. AD is usually useless by then.

But Nate means a lot to our starting five. If anyone starts over him, I would hope Craw.
¿ △ ?
tomverve
Member: #878
1/17/2006  4:35 PM
Frye is not a terrible rebounder. He's currently got a 13.8 rebound rate-- not spectacular, ranks 53rd overall-- but not *terrible.* Compare to Troy Murphy (14.1), Lamar Odom (13.9), Udonis Haslem (13.9), Dirk Nowitzki (13.7). If Frye is a terrible rebounder, then so are all those guys.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
crzymdups
USA
1/17/2006  4:41 PM
Posted by tomverve:

Frye is not a terrible rebounder. He's currently got a 13.8 rebound rate-- not spectacular, ranks 53rd overall-- but not *terrible.* Compare to Troy Murphy (14.1), Lamar Odom (13.9), Udonis Haslem (13.9), Dirk Nowitzki (13.7). If Frye is a terrible rebounder, then so are all those guys.

it's not a stat thing. it's watching the way he boxes out and his timing. they're off. He's big enough that rebounds fall in his lap, but he hasn't got down several fundamentals yet.
¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
1/17/2006  6:01 PM
Posted by tomverve:

And Frye is on a very good rebounding team where many teammates are grabbing rebounds that he otherwise could be getting. Of course Frye's sometimes makes mistakes like other posters are pointing out. If he didn't, then with his body he'd be a top 15 rebounder.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 01-17-2006 6:40 PM]
tomverve
Member: #878
1/17/2006  11:17 PM
It's pretty remarkable that such a terrible rebounder is having boards fall into his lap at the same rate as guys like Nowitzki and Odom go out and grab them, isn't it? I could say that Shawn Marion's shooting form is attrocious too, but he manages to hit enough shots anyway. The technique may be lacking, but the actual results aren't as bad as one's subjective impression of the technique might lead one to believe. And the actual results are what matter.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
TheSage
Member: #386
1/17/2006  11:37 PM
Since I started it, if I may throw in my two cents again. I believe a good big is worth more than a good small. Paul is heading down the star path as is Frye. Bogut, I'm not sure-good yes, star? don't think so-gut reaction. Frye has had a great touch from day one and had added some nice moves since the start. His bounding has improved as has his D. I'll stick with Channing.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/18/2006  1:30 AM
Posted by TheSage:

Since I started it, if I may throw in my two cents again. I believe a good big is worth more than a good small. Paul is heading down the star path as is Frye. Bogut, I'm not sure-good yes, star? don't think so-gut reaction. Frye has had a great touch from day one and had added some nice moves since the start. His bounding has improved as has his D. I'll stick with Channing.

excellent post, I agre, I don't see star in Bogut either. I watch him play a bit, not overly impressed. I went to the Bucks board on realgm, it is funny now a lot of fans are starting to feel that the bucks are not surrounding him with the right talent, and that he even was seen arguing with some of the guys on the bench at one time. I know that may be nothing at all, but I just found it interesting. Bogut has some good skills but none of them seem to have anything to do with post offense,I think he will be a fine player in this league, but great, as some people are hyping him to be? I don't agree..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/18/2006  3:12 AM
He's not a very good rebounder. If he was, he wouldn't have games where he would only grab 3 boards. I love Frye as much as anyone, but he clearly gets confused on defense and people often grab rebounds right from his hands. Yes, he plays very hard and eventually it's going to go to great use, but right now, he's got some things to learn and it will take some time for him.

As for Digiau (Sp?), I've only seen him a little, but he looked pretty good. I wont say it's ridiculous calling him top 5 or vice versa, but he's certainly a well deserved lottery pick. That guy can score in the post. Looks kind of like a more angry version and better shape version of Sweetney.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/18/2006  9:08 AM
Im happy with our pick and where we got him!
TheSage
Member: #386
1/18/2006  9:37 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Im happy with our pick and where we got him!

Amen and then some
"If there's a do-over on the NBA draft, is there any doubt that Channing Frye is the first pick?"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy