zeke tells larry to ease up
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/6/2006  10:59 AM
LARRY: ARIZA DELUSIONAL
By MARC BERMAN

January 6, 2006 -- Jerome James has crawled out of Larry Brown's doghouse while Trevor Ariza is trapped deeper.
The war of words between Ariza and Brown escalated yesterday when the Knick coach called him "delusional" for claiming ignorance on being removed from the rotation.

Meanwhile, James, who reported on New Year's morning in no condition to compete in practice, will have his suspension lifted before tonight's Garden match vs. Washington. The Knicks (8-21) look to build on their 1-0 record in 2006 and triple-OT thriller over Phoenix.

Brown, despondent over Team Titanic's start, had sent a message to his players by conducting a 10 a.m. practice New Year's Day. But Brown's signal to refrain from a massive New Year's Eve celebration never infiltrated James.

The suspension's lit a fire under James. "He had a bad day and that's over with," Brown said. "He's had two great practices."

With James activated, Ariza could be deactivated. Brown is furious Ariza raised the issue Monday that a lack of communication existed and "confusion" reigned in the locker room.

Ariza, 20, was angered Brown told the beat writers before he told him of his demotion.

"Every other coach has [spoken to him] a number of times," Brown said. "He's just delusional. Things get over fast with me. It's what you do in practice every day. To say he doesn't know what's going on, he's delusional."

Brown questioned the UCLA product's attitude.

"It has nothing to do with how he's playing," he said. "It has nothing to do with basketball. He's just got to grow up a little and understand it's a team and he's got to act like a good teammate.

"Sometimes when they hear it from me, that's just coach," Brown said. "We got five other [coaches] that have visited with him privately. And he heard something pretty specific from me before the game. If he doesn't know, it's because UCLA wasn't a good academic institution."

Brown coached the Bruins from 1979-1981.

Ariza, last season's golden-boy rookie, said, "He just wanted the most out of me. He didn't feel I was giving him everything I had. Everyone has their own opinion."

The latest feuds involving Brown, Ariza and James underscore a deeper issue of whether Brown is motivating or turning off the players.

Brown's brutal honesty hasn't thrilled Isiah Thomas. When last week's Stephon Marbury war erupted, Isiah told Brown to ease up. But Brown, 65, will do what he wants, and was stunned he had to take a media-training class in preseason.
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/6/2006  11:04 AM
as he should. There's 2-3 coaches in the NBA that can be that way and Larry is one of them. Cant say I'm the biggest fan of his tactics but the results speak for themselves. He will build a foundation. Along the way there will be players with talent that won be able to hack, and others that struggle first and later adjust.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/6/2006  11:13 AM
The same Isiah who questioned Marbury's manhood to the press?

This is all typical Larry Brown drama, compounded by Isiah Thomas drama.

I'll be very happy if they continue to build and improve the team. What counts is what shows up on the court. If we have to sustain a lot of drama to get there, so be it. And believe me, we have a LOT more drama to sustain with LB.

It's part of the deal with the devil. Guy's a great coach. Loves reclamation projects. And that's exactly what we are. We totally sucked as a team last year. You want someone to come in and fix it? He has a rep for leaving bodies in his wake? Well here we go.

There'll be a time limit on his tenure here like everywhere else but he could produce a real winner before he splits. To me it's worth it.

With all his traveling, where did he stay the longest? I'm guessing it's Philly. And that's purportedly only because Croce played mediator and family therapist 7 days a week.

Hell I got a buddy in Denver who still hates LB's guts for something or other he pulled on his way out of town after coaching the Nuggets. And that was how many decades ago?

Again, we had a terrible team last year. We've added a lot of very young guys to it. It ain't gonna be easy. And Larry never does things the easy way anyway. For me, I'm accepting it's gonna be bumpy and it's gonna be filled with dramas.

Just build up a good team, win on the court, and it's all good with me.
SlimPack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1009
USA
1/6/2006  11:27 AM
Is it just me or does jerome james always have a good practice only to stink in the actualy game?
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/6/2006  11:31 AM
FREE BUTLER!!
TymeLessKnicks
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1050
Sweden
1/6/2006  11:36 AM
can writers just make stuff up? i mean where r the quotes from zeke to larry...I DON'T BELIEVE IT
Had enough Melo?
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/6/2006  11:48 AM
Posted by SlimPack:

Is it just me or does jerome james always have a good practice only to stink in the actualy game?

no its not you.
JesseDark
Member: #467
1/6/2006  12:07 PM
Larry needs to tone down the rhetoric and hyperbole when he talks to the media. There does seem to be a trend of the players wanting Larry to talk to them before going to the media. The Marbury mess from less week was basically fueled by Larry not telling him want he wanted. The Ariza thing this week is fueled by Larry not talking to the player first.
Being informed that you are being demoted should not come from someone outside of the organization. I can't imagine the good feelings from the Phoenix win carrying over to tonights game.
Bring back dee-fense
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
1/6/2006  12:39 PM
I don't want Larry to change anything he's doing, he's done it his whole career and it's worked his whole career. Why should he change things once he gets to New York? He shouldn't.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
McK1
Member: #964
1/6/2006  1:01 PM
Isiah should STFU. He was the same person last October trashing Shandon Anderson. He may have been **** on the court but he still was a pro when it came to the team.

After his "real" treatment of Layden's players which most of the kool-aid drinking fans soaked up its only right that someone with more clout come along and do the same to him.

Now Zeke is being forced to answer for the teams lack of defense lack of leadership lack of poise lack of a winning mentality and in a contract year for him no less.

[Edited by - McK1 on 01-06-2006 1:01 PM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/6/2006  2:00 PM
Posted by McK1:

Isiah should STFU. He was the same person last October trashing Shandon Anderson. He may have been **** on the court but he still was a pro when it came to the team.

After his "real" treatment of Layden's players which most of the kool-aid drinking fans soaked up its only right that someone with more clout come along and do the same to him.

Now Zeke is being forced to answer for the teams lack of defense lack of leadership lack of poise lack of a winning mentality and in a contract year for him no less.

After Isiah strutted out on Letterman and made a mockery of Don Chaney (he did not deserve that!) and touted that his presence at practice was to help Chaney and then turn around and fire him in short order without a suitable replacement was idiotic! Some MBA school should teach that smooth move as an example of egomania! The shandon incident was equally sophmoric!
Then talking to the media about how Allan should retire was a bit manipulative. Sure it might be true, but it was not media worthy.

Isiah's public relations track record stinks!

involvi
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

1/6/2006  2:30 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by McK1:

After Isiah strutted out on Letterman and made a mockery of Don Chaney (he did not deserve that!) and touted that his presence at practice was to help Chaney and then turn around and fire him in short order without a suitable replacement was idiotic! Some MBA school should teach that smooth move as an example of egomania! The shandon incident was equally sophmoric!
Then talking to the media about how Allan should retire was a bit manipulative. Sure it might be true, but it was not media worthy.

involvi

Yup

and Yup.

But you know Isiah, can't resist an opportunity to coddle Steph. Must not think he's mentally tough enough.

jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/6/2006  2:38 PM
Posted by BlueSeats:
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by McK1:

involvi

Yup

and Yup.

But you know Isiah, can't resist an opportunity to coddle Steph. Must not think he's mentally tough enough.

didnt zeke criticize steph a couple times this year? be a man on the court because your kids are watching, and something earlier in the season i cant remember.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/6/2006  2:53 PM
didnt zeke criticize steph a couple times this year? be a man on the court because your kids are watching, and something earlier in the season i cant remember.
Something like that. I think he said you have to take the criticism like a man and hold your head up high
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/6/2006  2:55 PM
A little over a year ago, Zeke told Marbury he's the worst defensive guard in the NBA. A week later, Marbury said he's the best PG in the NBA. What a weirdo.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

1/6/2006  3:18 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Something like that. I think he said you have to take the criticism like a man and hold your head up high

yeah, something to the effect that his wife and kids are watching him as he deals with a tough situation so he should carry himself like a man. I took it as a direct assault on Steph's mopey demeanor.

so yes, you guys are correct that zeke will give Steph grief, but it seems he wants to be the one doing it.

When Steph told Wilkens to stick his criticisms of Steph's d was when Isiah told Steph it was the worst. But it was reported by a "league official" that lenny was given the boot when he recommended Steph be moved.

Then there was a game last year when Herb sat Steph for the fourth and the team came back and won with Jamal at the point. When asked of it Herb said, yes "it worked, and we'll be seeing a lot more of it too." but then apparently he and isiah had a sit-down, and two days later Herb issued a retraction saying something like "of course Steph is our only point guard" and Jamal got little or no additional time there.

So it appears isiah likes to keep the criticism quite measured and in check. Just like in this instance, where Isiah seemed little concerned, except around the matter of Steph.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

1/6/2006  3:46 PM
"Sometimes when they hear it from me, that's just coach," Brown said. "We got five other [coaches] that have visited with him privately. And he heard something pretty specific from me before the game. If he doesn't know, it's because UCLA wasn't a good academic institution."

I don't like this statement at all. He's not dissing UCLA. He's straight up calling Ariza stupid. Not cool at all.

Like I said....Ariza needs to be sent to the D-League to get his mind grounded and actually work on improving his offensive game. He gets by on his athletic ability. He has no actual basketball skill aside from passing.

But Brown crosses the line.....you gotta communicate to the guys yourself, not just through your minions. It's just basketball.....and Ariza is a grown man. Brown is 65.....Brown needs someone to beat his ass a la Carlisimo. Brown thinks he can say and do what he wants to people.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/6/2006  3:55 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

Brown needs someone to beat his ass a la Carlisimo.

Jesus - I just had an image of Steph choking him!
King1
Member: #998
USA
1/6/2006  4:08 PM
What kills me is Ariza thinks he is a grown ass man and wants to be treated like one. Dont you think he need to act like one? He started 10 games and got nothing accomplished.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/6/2006  11:12 PM
Posted by King1:

What kills me is Ariza thinks he is a grown ass man and wants to be treated like one. Dont you think he need to act like one? He started 10 games and got nothing accomplished.

I think ariza shouldn't be told he's out of the rotation from the pr guy. 20 years old and no development- say whatever you want- he deserves at least that.
zeke tells larry to ease up

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy